Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. (1452 Views)

Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals) / Chartered Economists Certificate Scandal, Please Beware ! / Institute Of Chartered Economists Of Nigeria (ICEN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. by Godwyn(m): 7:03pm On Feb 17, 2007
As a Bsc Economics holder just leaving school the task of making oneself viable in the labour market looks daunting but among various options one begins to eye quite seriously ones chances in the accountancy profession.I believe an Economist suitably qualified in accountancy (of course through ICAN and ACCA) stands a better chance than a pure accountant in our labour market. There are enormous advantages that make me almost question the sense in reading accountancy in a university in the first place.
  What do u guys think? Am i wrong? should I go for it or stick to my good old Economics? All honest and UNSENTIMENTAL opinions will be highly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. by GNature(m): 1:36pm On Feb 18, 2007
Godwyn,

Change your title to:

"Can an Economist make a better Accountant than a Pure Accountant"

To answer your question, you wouldn't be necessarily better, but you should be able to function just as good as a pure accountant.  A good economics curriculum would have given you good analytic skills needed to excel as an accountant.
Re: Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. by Tywoh(f): 12:35pm On Feb 19, 2007
Its more of a thing of the mind.
I heard about a medical doctor who became a charterd accountant.
You could choose to be an economist and also do well as an accountant.
All things are possible to them that believe.
Re: Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. by Godwyn(m): 6:34pm On Feb 19, 2007
It isnt just about excelling, of course anyone can excel in a chosen field as long as you are dedicated and know what u are up against and prepare for it. The point is there is an obvious advantage as pointed out by Gnature,the analytical skills are enormous.Citing a national example, the case of the CBN readily comes to mind as it was reduced to a mere financial clearing house under the likes of trained accountants like Paul Ogwuma and Joseph Sanusi,it took just one trained Economist, Soludo at the helm of affairs to make the CBN all that we all desire.GET THE POINT? grin
Accountants i believe may not be able to stand the challenge of economists who decide to foray into that field in the nearest future,thats as soon as employers observe this salient point.
Re: Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. by Olusleeky(m): 11:47pm On Apr 16, 2007
i agree with you. economists are varsatile in most field as much as it has to do with financial related stuff.
Re: Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. by crito(m): 3:51am On Apr 17, 2007
Yes ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Re: Economists Make Better Accountants Than Pure Accountants. by wesley80(m): 5:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
Godwyn: As a Bsc Economics holder just leaving school the task of making oneself viable in the labour market looks daunting but among various options one begins to eye quite seriously ones chances in the accountancy profession.I believe an Economist suitably qualified in accountancy (of course through ICAN and ACCA) stands a better chance than a pure accountant in our labour market. There are enormous advantages that make me almost question the sense in reading accountancy in a university in the first place.
  What do u guys think? Am i wrong? should I go for it or stick to my good old Economics? All honest and UNSENTIMENTAL opinions will be highly appreciated.
Bump, me agree.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Consulting Firm Or Bank? / Pay Package At Huawei / Enterprise Architecture anyone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.