Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday (4970 Views)

Secretary Of Cattle Herdsmen On Channels TV Live / When Exactly Is The Strike Starting? / Lagos Nurses Go On Strike, Public Health System Paralysed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by PapaBrowne(m): 2:06am On Mar 07, 2010
Beef scarcity looms as cattle dealers commence strike on Monday
By Adelani Adepegba, Published: Sunday, 7 Mar 2010

Cattle dealers in Northern Nigeria have warned that they would commence a one-week strike from tomorrow to protest alleged extortion, multi-taxation, and other injustices being meted out to them in the southern part of the country.

The strike is expected to affect the supply of cattle, tomato, beans, rice, vegetables, onions, beans, chickens, maize, carrots, goats, yam and other food items, supplied to the south from the Northern part of the country.

The cattle dealers operating under the Amalgamated Cattle Dealers of Nigeria, Kuri Development Association, Miyate Allah Cattle Dealers of Nigeria, Cattle Dealers Association of Nigeria and Fruits and Vegetable Merchants Association said they had resolved to embark on the strike from Monday, March 8, 2010, to express their grievances.

Speaking at a briefing in Enugu, the Enugu State capital on Friday, spokesperson of the aggrieved unions, Abdulahi Shutalim, said their members bought goods from the North where they paid all official levies and yet they were subjected to extortion and multiple taxations when transporting the goods to southern part of the country.

Shutalim who is the National Secretary of Amalgamated Cattle Dealers Association, announced that all the Northern cattle and food unions would participate in the exercise to draw government attention to the plight of the traders.

Shutalim said, ”If we are transporting cattle and other foodstuffs to the South, some states are blocking us and collecting money from us. If you buy something in Maiduguri and you are bringing it to the South, nobody disturbs you in Yobe, Bauchi, Plateau and Nassarawa. But as soon as you come to Makurdi, you start facing extortion and it extends to Enugu, Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Akwa-Ibom and Cross River.

”We have been paying it. We have decided not to be paying any longer. That is why we are complaining to the Federal Government to stop them. If the Federal Government didn‘t intervene, we will stop the supply of all types of food from the North to every part of Nigeria. We are going to stop until the officers concerned intervene. We are not going to be paying double taxation in federal highway.”

He said it was worrisome that members of the unions are forced to pay N16,000 tolls to bring their goods into Lagos, but even at that, they were still subjected to various levies before such products are offloaded for sale in the city.

He said that there was no reason why the cattle and food dealers who are Nigerians should be subjected to such taxation and extortion, adding that those demanding levies from them along the highways were taking laws into their hands.

He disclosed that the unions had set up a committee to monitor the strike and ensure that none of their members moved any product from the North to the South until the Federal Government intervenes in the matter.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201003073142315
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by PapaBrowne(m): 2:13am On Mar 07, 2010
In my honest opinion, this is a political move!

I say, good riddiance!!
We southerners would enjoy our Fish and Chicken, they can carry their beef and stuff it down their throats. !!
We can do without those onions and carrots.
Or better still we can even import foodstuffs from Ghana sef!!
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Beaf: 2:19am On Mar 07, 2010
I am wondering what the business of the National Secretary of Amalgamated Cattle Dealers Association is with "beans, rice, vegetables, onions, beans, chickens, maize, carrots, goats, yam and other food items".

PapaBrowne:

In my honest opinion, this is a political move!

I say, good riddiance!!
We southerners would enjoy our Fish and Chicken, they can carry their beef and stuff it down their throats. !!
We can do without those onions and carrots.
Or better still we can even import foodstuffs from Ghana sef!!

Yes it is a political move. We too should stop Southern goods from flowing to the core North, starting with the supply of oil all products and containers from sea ports.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Nobody: 2:26am On Mar 07, 2010
You see? We are not united in Nigeria. Let the north go joo!!!!!!!!! We keep getting slapped every time. If the north had anything that is keeping Nigeria going, they'll torture every living thing in south to death. Some Yoruba and Igbo fools are still riding their dicks in name of political parties. Tinubu sucks, Aondokaka sucks they all suck, kill them all now kill them all now!!!
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by EzeUche(m): 2:41am On Mar 07, 2010
Where's the beef? grin

Anyway, even though I do enjoy beef, fish and chicken will be ok.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Mobinga: 6:47am On Mar 07, 2010
Islamic Mentality=Heinous Mentality
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Gifurat: 7:10am On Mar 07, 2010
Let them stop that nonsence, Were southerners who carry Kolanut to the north not taxed? well let see how far they can hold unto this.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Lagosboy: 7:18am On Mar 07, 2010
I find it amazing that no one has dared to consider the allegations of multiple taxations and extortion. We all know thi sis rife in Nigeria how come we all read tribal sentiments into every issue. The future of a one Nigeria is shaky i fear.
Mobinga:

The internet is free but you should not exhibit your mentality here as it leaves a bad taste in the mouth buddie.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Abagworo(m): 8:51am On Mar 07, 2010
Shutalim said, ”If we are transporting cattle and other foodstuffs to the South, some states are blocking us and collecting money from us. If you buy something in Maiduguri and you are bringing it to the South, nobody disturbs you in Yobe, Bauchi, Plateau and Nassarawa. But as soon as you come to Makurdi, you start facing extortion and it extends to Enugu, Anambra, Imo, Abia, Ebonyi, Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Akwa-Ibom and Cross River.

@bolded.does it not kinda refer to igbos + south-south + benue
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Kx: 8:56am On Mar 07, 2010
Let everybody go thier ways.With oil we can buy everything we need down south,
let them sell thier nama and buy their needs with the proceeds.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by slap1(m): 9:12am On Mar 07, 2010
But shouldn't the reasons for their decision be looked into? My Igbo brothers like imposing unfounded levies. For instance, the useless Bakassi boys are now taking N500 from every shop, taxi driver, keke NAPEP, kiosk, etc in Aba. I support the move, it is reasonable.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by oyinda3(f): 9:15am On Mar 07, 2010
slap1:

[b]But shouldn't the reasons for their decision be looked into? [/b]My Igbo brothers like imposing unfounded levies. For instance, the useless Bakassi boys are now taking N500 from every shop, taxi driver, keke NAPEP, kiosk, etc in Aba. I support the move, it is reasonable.

Lagosboy:

[b]I find it amazing that no one has dared to consider the allegations of multiple taxations and extortion. [/b]We all know thi sis rife in Nigeria how come we all read tribal sentiments into every issue. The future of a one Nigeria is shaky i fear.
The internet is free but you should not exhibit your mentality here as it leaves a bad taste in the mouth buddie.

^ smart and reasonable responses. couldn't have said it better
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by kkkossy(m): 9:35am On Mar 07, 2010
They should go 2 blisters for all i care, if those hausa fools should refuse 2 supply the south food then why on earth should the south-south supply them oil(fuel) simply. Let see in a year who will come begging. Nonsense!
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by sultan003(m): 10:38am On Mar 07, 2010
Who is begging them to stay?? They should carry their useless stuff and go to HELL. Idiots grin
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by MrCrackles(m): 10:40am On Mar 07, 2010
Mobinga:

Dimwit. . . .

Topic. . .
Who cares, there are suitable alternatives. . . .
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by RecentPost: 10:51am On Mar 07, 2010
@Becomerich,come and help Mr crackcles he is packing his stuffs to join benin republic
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by kosovo(m): 10:55am On Mar 07, 2010
Reading this makes me completely contristo and melancholic angry
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by slap1(m): 11:02am On Mar 07, 2010
^ u r not helping matters.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by SapeleGuy: 11:20am On Mar 07, 2010
Kosovo, mehn you dey scatter now a days no be small.

@ topic: I am glad, it will give us the opportunity to bury this myth of the north feeding the country once and for all.

LOL, what we will we do now? Do they control Amiedi, ukodo, fresh fish, goat, garri, ekpoma rice, usi, yam, plantain ?
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by chidyke77(m): 11:31am On Mar 07, 2010
Hw are they going to survive where all their sources of income depends on selling foods stuff and animals,they dare nt.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by stiyke(m): 12:23pm On Mar 07, 2010
This couldnt have come at a better time. But why are they going for just one week strike. Abeg Oga Amalgamated Cattle go for 1 month or indefinite strike oohh! by the time ur sorry ass resume work na Niger republic una go sell the yeye thing to.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by edoyad(m): 12:39pm On Mar 07, 2010
Everything is falling into place now, I couldn't have dreamt of a better scenerio for the so called giant of Africa. All that's left is for every one to ask why are we together in the first place ? After that a better charter could be drafted and signed by all leaving no stone unturned.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Katsumoto: 1:30pm On Mar 07, 2010
Is Kosovo Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon? grin
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by nduchucks: 1:40pm On Mar 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by edoyad(m): 1:55pm On Mar 07, 2010
Nduchuks the honourable is from Edo state, i'm from kaduna state, please where are you from ?
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by nduchucks: 2:23pm On Mar 07, 2010
I'm a Nigerian. I met edoyad some weeks ago in a locality called Barnawa.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by kosovo(m): 2:29pm On Mar 07, 2010
, cheesy grin
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by MrCrackles(m): 2:30pm On Mar 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

shocked grin grin
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Ibime(m): 2:30pm On Mar 07, 2010
I dont know how someone can make a legitimate trade complaint, and Nairalanders begin dey make tribal jagbajantis.

Make una tell una corrupt officials to leave these guys alone o! If una go without Suya for one month, una go hear am.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by edoyad(m): 2:34pm On Mar 07, 2010
@ chuks
You see the problem is, in the predictions and forecast of many the nomenclature known as "Nigerian" will soon be gone with the wind. So when the entity known as Nigerians ceases to exist are you telling me you'll still be Nigerian ? Are there still any Yugoslavians as we speak ?
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 07, 2010
pls let us get this picture very clear, are they saying that when they buy from a market, say in kano, they pay tax and levies? and when they sell in another market, say in benin, they shouldn,t pay tax and levies as well? what is used in maintaining such markets? is it the levies they pay in maiduguri that will maintain the market in lagos?  are they saying that if you are passing tru my territory in other to make money i should,nt levy you? so you want to eat the money alone? these are questions that needs answers.
Re: Cattle Dealers On Strike Starting Monday by Gayigaskia(m): 3:10pm On Mar 07, 2010
I don't think this decision has something to do with North against South, instead this is just a cry for justice against the Nigerian police . the same concern that i see people express all the time on this forum. Also to the contrary this is a move from these businessmen to look out for their customers because the less expenses they make on the road the less high costs will be passed on to the (customer)southerners. Believe me in Niger Republic a cow cost about $40, a friend has told me the same cow will cost about $300 to $400 IN Lagos or Port Harcourt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reuters: Nigerian President Snubs Tv Election Debate / No Going Back On Bombing Of Niger Delta Creeks-nigerian Airforce / Burutai wife own dubai property...revealed by sahara reporters. Picz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.