Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Is This Electoral Act Too Lenient Or Ineffective? (pictures) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This Electoral Act Too Lenient Or Ineffective? (pictures) (363 Views)

Buratai: Ineffective Armoured Vehicles Setbacks In Counter Insurgency Operations / NASS Approves President Buhari's Demands On Electoral Act (Photos) / Electoral Act: Presidency Begs NASS To Reconvene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is This Electoral Act Too Lenient Or Ineffective? (pictures) by Boyooosa(m): 5:32pm On Oct 03, 2017
Last week when I was going to town, at APO round about ((Abuja), I saw campaign posters of Fayose seeking for Nigerians' votes as the president come 2019. When I got to town, some people confirmed that he was the one that even posted some by himself. That very night, I saw it in the news that he has officially declared his intention of becoming Nigeria's next president. I was not actually bothered because 'polititics is politics'. I had deliberations with different people ranging from 'can he win? Is he credible? Is he capable? What is his chance of winning? to can he deliver?' and so on so forth. But this evening, something cane to my mind about the adequate time for valid campaign launching period and during my research, I stormed on this piece:
On 30th July, 2014 it was reported by Festus Owete of Premium Times that new billboards urging Nigerian voters to vote for President Goodluck Jonathan in the 2015 presidential election had sprang up at strategic corners of Abuja against repeated warnings by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to politicians not to commence campaign before the stipulated time. This was clearly in contravention of Section 99 (1-3) of the Electoral Act which states that for the purpose of this Act, the period of campaigning in public by every political party shall commence 90 days before polling day and end 24 hours prior to that day. A registered political party which through any person acting on its behalf during the 24 hours before polling day procures for publication or acquiesces in the publication of an advertisement in a Newspaper for the purpose of promoting or opposing particular candidates, commits an offence under this Act and upon conviction is liable to a maximum fine of N500,000.
Source: http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://www.thelawyerschronicle.com/violations-and-penalties-of-nigerias-electoral-laws/&grqid=gbBmnwrZ&hl=en-NG
Now, my curiosity falls on:
1. Is this (culled) article right about the campaign timing? ie 90 days b4 election/polls as opening and 24hrs b4 election as closing
2. What's the validity of this act/law VI's a vis Nigerian constitution as it has been violated and rdped many times?
3. Does it mean it is ineffective because of the fine of 500k attached to it?
4. Is it invalid because of unavailability of evidences or our judiciary system is just too weak?
5. Does the act itself make any sense?
6. If atall it makes sense, the 90 days grace is too short I reasonably think; may be days why the politicians are not too keen for the law.election campaign requires a lot, and time.
7. Then, if it is a vahid law, why are they not prosecuting offenders even when it is obvious that people are cmitting this offence?
I believe our senior advocates in the house will be able to do legitimate justice to the aforementioned fundamental questions as av also been able to answer some personally as a lame man.... No bias for casual contributors please.
The pictures were sighted at APO round about and APO bridge in abuja

(1) (Reply)

Marginalization, Greed And Restructuring. / Amosun, Onanuga And Good Governance In Ogun State / Fayose, Jonathan Former Aide, Others Fault Maina’s Resumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.