Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

Des Pensees - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Des Pensees (15894 Views)

September 17 In The Life Of A Pastor And A Bishop: David Oyedepo’s Date With Des (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:12pm On Oct 04, 2017
Out of admiration for the thread by Joseph1013 called My Thoughts And Questions, https://www.nairaland.com/2045070/thoughts-questions-religion, I would like to start my own thread where I can download my perception on various issues without having my thoughts scattered from thread to thread. This way I don't have to comment on too many other threads but can just keep all my activities limited to one thread, things will be easier to find that way.

I won't start today, but let me just open the thread for now.

a bientot....

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by hopefulLandlord: 12:52pm On Oct 04, 2017
*Inspects plot of land*
*pays for it*
*collects C of O*

6 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 04, 2017
Let me settle here too. It's gonna be a nice read. smiley

na How much a plot of land for here? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by adepeter2027(m): 5:52pm On Oct 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
*Inspects plot of land*
*pays for it*
*collects C of O*
Chai, you first me buy this plot
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 5:53pm On Oct 04, 2017
LoJ:
Let me settle here too. It's gonna be a nice read. smiley

na How much a plot of land for here? cheesy

Free hand outs under a new government scheme. First come first serve.
Re: Des Pensees by joseph1013: 7:01pm On Oct 04, 2017
PastorAIO:
Out of admiration for the thread by Joseph1013 called My Thoughts And Questions, https://www.nairaland.com/2045070/thoughts-questions-religion, I would like to start my own thread where I can download my perception on various issues without having my thoughts scattered from thread to thread. This way I don't have to comment on too many other threads but can just keep all my activities limited to one thread, things will be easier to find that way.

I won't start today, but let me just open the thread for now.

a bientot....
Absolutely love this. I'm definitely following.

I hope you don't battle with the feeling of guilt that you won't be able to offer specific comments to specific posts in other threads. I hope your thread last very long.

Sharing...

2 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by purem(m): 8:10pm On Oct 04, 2017
Re: Des Pensees by 4kings: 8:23pm On Oct 04, 2017
Following...
Re: Des Pensees by Image123(m): 8:24pm On Oct 04, 2017
Still searching for answers in October 2017 when Jesus is the answer. SMH in pity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by chemystery: 8:50pm On Oct 04, 2017
And don't forget to use red texts like joseph1013 or another distinct colour in all your posts, else I won't endorse such thread.

Make I kuku manage this plot wey dey bush since hopefullandlord don rush book the one wey dey main road, come leave this plot inside sambisa for "hopeless tenants" like us grin

4 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by Nuhvey(m): 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2017
Really interested in this... Following!!
Re: Des Pensees by lovicks: 2:06am On Oct 05, 2017
Gonna love this
Thread already bookmarked
Ride on boss...
Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 05, 2017
Following...
Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 05, 2017
Image123:
Still searching for answers in October 2017 when Jesus is the answer. SMH in pity.
" God's people, over two thousand years of waiting for their messiah and they're still as persistent as hell "

2 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by Geist(m): 7:58am On Oct 07, 2017
PastorAIO hope you have not forgotten followers whom you left in suspense. I would also ask that you be kind enough to not only touch on whom or what God is to you but also on your own proof for it's existence.
Re: Des Pensees by adoyi8: 9:06am On Oct 07, 2017
Better late than never.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:15pm On Oct 07, 2017
I’d like to start with what we can say we know incontrovertibly. We find ourselves experiencing this world both as an external phenomenon and internally.

What we can say for sure is that there is Experience.

What is it that we experience? I would say that our topmost and most relevant experiences are of our Urges. We all experience different Urges. The Urge to have Sex. The Urge for Shelter. The Urge to be recognized as a ‘somebody’ in Society.

We are beset on all sides by Urges and they toss us to and fro like winds of a storm at sea.

Part of our experience is the sense that our awareness is only partial and there are vast swathes of the universe of possibilities that we are not fully aware of. Further more these unknown possibilities can suddenly emerge into our awareness and we may or may not like it when it does.

These urges form the basis of our emotional lives. If any of our Urges are gratified then we can feel happiness, joy, relief etc.
If any of our Urges are not gratified we can feel frustration, angst, anger, sadness etc..

It would seem that the key to happiness is the gratification of our basic Urges.

However things are not so simple cos a lot of the time these Urges are contradictory. The boy that wants to go out and play football also at the same time might really yearn to pass his exam to get into university. These two Urges are at odds. Which one should he seek to gratify?

So these Urges toss us back and forth as in a storm and we are confused. We think we want something but once we get it we realize that we didn’t really want it that much anyway. Etc etc etc..

Is there a course that we can pursue that can put all these raging Urges to rest? Something that can say to the Storm, ‘Peace, Be Still’, and all the turmoil will come to rest. Is there something within us that is lying dormant, that we can awaken. ‘Wake up na, Can you not see that we are perishing?’, and when it awakens it puts an harness on all the turbulent Urges that batter us from all sides?

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:16pm On Oct 07, 2017
Geist:
PastorAIO hope you have not forgotten followers whom you left in suspense. I would also ask that you be kind enough to not only touch on whom or what God is to you but also on your own proof for it's existence.

This will be difficult but I'll try at some point.
Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 07, 2017
^^^^
Great thoughts about the urges. We are following.
Re: Des Pensees by AgentOfAllah: 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2017
PastorAIO:
Is there a course that we can pursue that can put all these raging Urges to rest? Something that can say to the Storm, ‘Peace, Be Still’, and all the turmoil will come to rest. Is there something within us that is lying dormant, that we can awaken. ‘Wake up na, Can you not see that we are perishing?’, and when it awakens it puts an harness on all the turbulent Urges that batter us from all sides?

Lobotomise?
A while back, someone started a thread extolling the excellent qualities of paradise that good Christians should look forward to. Some of these ranged from the ridiculously ostentatious, like single dweller mansions bigger than the most opulent mansion on earth (who needs that?), to the simply ridiculous, like roads made of gold (how will golden roads enhance movement, especially since dwellers will presumably acquire the gift of flight/teleportation?). Anyway, what really did catch my attention was the person's claim that all our needs, in other words, urges, will be spontaneously granted, with the exception of sex because we wouldn't even possess such an urge anymore. Though I fail to recall the person mentioning these, I assume also, that dwellers would lose their urges to s.hit, p.iss, sneeze and what not...but anyway, I digress!

The person claimed thus; that dwellers will always feel fully gratified in paradise, even though god has effectively eliminated some of the fantastically gratifying urges of their yesterlives. They will be in a state of perpetual equanimity, if you will! The insight I got from this 'eye witness' account of heaven was revolting. It seemed less like a gratification of urges and more, a maleficent zombification of devotees. This person's god would effectively perform partial lobotomy on its believers in order to keep them fully gratified. I don't know about the lucky inhabitants of that heaven, but I know earthly human nature tends towards more, not less experiences. If there were something within me that could perish my many urges, even the mutually antagonistic ones, I'd kill that thing before it kills my urges. In a sense, aren't we defined by these peculiar urges? I only draw a line at the ones that are evidently harmful to myself and other people. I don't want my many urges on a leash ever, but maybe mine is just the rambling of a man content in his storm...turmoil...turbulence...madness?

At any rate, lobotomy seems a perfectly capable means through which perpetual equanimity may be attained, this mad man thinks. Then, you can really say your urges are restrained...that is, if you even feel the urge to say anything afterwards!

Am I mad, Pastor?

9 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by Deicide: 7:53pm On Oct 07, 2017
I sell pop-Corn grin
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 2:34pm On Oct 08, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Lobotomise?
A while back, someone started a thread extolling the excellent qualities of paradise that good Christians should look forward to. Some of these ranged from the ridiculously ostentatious, like single dweller mansions bigger than the most opulent mansion on earth (who needs that?), to the simply ridiculous, like roads made of gold (how will golden roads enhance movement, especially since dwellers will presumably acquire the gift of flight/teleportation?). Anyway, what really did catch my attention was the person's claim that all our needs, in other words, urges, will be spontaneously granted, with the exception of sex because we wouldn't even possess such an urge anymore. Though I fail to recall the person mentioning these, I assume also, that dwellers would lose their urges to s.hit, p.iss, sneeze and what not...but anyway, I digress!

The person claimed thus; that dwellers will always feel fully gratified in paradise, even though god has effectively eliminated some of the fantastically gratifying urges of their yesterlives. They will be in a state of perpetual equanimity, if you will! The insight I got from this 'eye witness' account of heaven was revolting. It seemed less like a gratification of urges and more, a maleficent zombification of devotees. This person's god would effectively perform partial lobotomy on its believers in order to keep them fully gratified. I don't know about the lucky inhabitants of that heaven, but I know earthly human nature tends towards more, not less experiences. If there were something within me that could perish my many urges, even the mutually antagonistic ones, I'd kill that thing before it kills my urges. In a sense, aren't we defined by these peculiar urges? I only draw a line at the ones that are evidently harmful to myself and other people. I don't want my many urges on a leash ever, but maybe mine is just the rambling of a man content in his storm...turmoil...turbulence...madness?

At any rate, lobotomy seems a perfectly capable means through which perpetual equanimity may be attained, this mad man thinks. Then, you can really say your urges are restrained...that is, if you even feel the urge to say anything afterwards!

Am I mad, Pastor?

You're getting there but I believe that you have a quite some way to go before you become as stark raving mad as I am.

What if that thing that could quell your other urges was itself an urge whereby you won't feel contentment until you connect with it. Yet once you do all your other urges like a wild beast that has been tamed will become like plasticene in your hands. To shape and do with as you will.

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by sonofluc1fer: 3:12pm On Oct 08, 2017
PastorAIO:

You're getting there but I believe that you have a quite some way to go before you become as stark raving mad as I am.
Good to know I'm playing catch-up. Think say my craze don pass 'be careful'

Happy Sunday, Pastor. grin

2 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by AgentOfAllah: 11:20pm On Oct 08, 2017
PastorAIO:

Then like you, I shall embrace the maddest of all madnesses...seeking method to one's madness!

What if that thing that could quell your other urges was itself an urge whereby you won't feel contentment until you connect with it. Yet once you do all your other urges like a wild beast that has been tamed will become like plasticene in your hands. To shape and do with as you will.
From experience, every urge, once fulfilled, comes to a natural state of tameness. So, I say, may the fittest urge plasticinise first!
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 9:10am On Oct 09, 2017
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:26pm On Oct 12, 2017
Deepak Chopra, a case study

For a while now I have noticed a funny cat and mouse dance between religious leaders and Science and I've wondered at it. After some thought I've come to the following conclusions...

1) Humans are genetically inclined to receive certain information on Trust from certain sources that are recognised as Authorities. As babies we see our parents as authorities and accept what they tell us unquestioningly. This is necessary for the species because plenty of cultural information (much of it needed for survival) is downloaded into children quickly thanks to trust which would not be learned quickly enough if the child had to assess and weigh each information before believing it.

2) Other Authorities besides are parents include religious Authorities. Religious Authorities have enjoyed a long run of unquestioned Trust for many many centuries.

3)With the Scientific Revolution in Europe, a lot of Authority was wrested away from the Church and Religion in general and reposed in the Scientific community. It was a long hard fought battle but today people Trust Science a lot more than they Trust religious authorities.

4) There is a seething jealousy that is so palpable you could cut it with a knife that Religious authorities feel towards Scientific Authorities.
It is expressed in one of two ways. a) They try to denigrate Science and Scientific Authority. or b) They try to mimic and adopt scientific expressions in the hope of having Scientific authority rub off on them.

5) So you sometimes hear things like, 'Oh, but it is JUST a theory'. Just a theory!!? shocked Theory of Gravity is 'just a theory' but it's done more for humanity than most other beliefs we've had. How pathetic!

6)But the most insidious is when they try to co-opt Scientific authority to support some dubious belief or the other. Like claims that they've found scientific evidence to prove the flood occurred, or they've found Noah's ark etc etc etc.

7) Deepak Chopra is probably the world's number one fake assed dubious user of scientific jargon to support some fake assed mysticism. The truth is I think that He just picks soundbites from Science and from Eastern mysticism and joins them together to sell books, but he is fake in both disciplines.

PastorAIO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E99BdOfxAE
Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 12, 2017
Hi PastorAIO, going solely by the title of your thread I take a leap in the dark and venture to say that I see your leanings as more of a modern day rationalist in the mold of Spinoza and Descartes. I know that Spinoza posited that God is the only absolute substance and that substance was composed of two attributes, thought and extension, I believe he went on to say that God could only be comprehended through reason.

Would this be a fair reflection of your religious beliefs?
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 3:37pm On Oct 12, 2017
Sarassin:
Hi PastorAIO, going solely by the title of your thread I take a leap in the dark and venture to say that I see your leanings as more of a modern day rationalist in the mold of Spinoza and Descartes. I know that Spinoza posited that God is the only absolute substance and that substance was composed of two attributes, thought and extension, I believe he went on to say that God could only be comprehended through reason.

Would this be a fair reflection of your religious beliefs?

I like Spinoza and Descartes, but I'm not in agreement with their division of attributes into Thoughts and Extensions. I think that they've treated the matter of Thoughts far too superficially. Also the matter of bodies as extensions.

Sensory Experience is not limited to extended bodies. They seem to take bodies as they only objects of sensory perception, I disagree. We can also perceive objects like, for instance, Melody. A melody is an object that we perceive and recognise by it's various distinctive attributes. However it is not a body extended in space. Therefore, not all objects are bodies. Non corporal objects exist that have their own distinctive structures.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:09am On Oct 22, 2017
Authority

my definition: That entity whose Will or Word is not challenged but acquiesced to.

Humans have the great ability to trust and acquiesce to Authority figures because it has enormous evolutionary advantages. It allows us to pass on information quickly from generation to generation so all the body of knowledge that a culture acquires can easily be passed on from generation to generation.

There are disadvantages with this great ability. If the Authority figure does not have our best interests at heart, or if the Authority is just simply wrong, then we are also greatly opened up to massive deception.

No matter how much critical thinking that someone learns and inculcates into himself he can never lose that ability to immediately acquiesce to Authority. The smartest guys in the world in one field of endeavour can also be the daftest person in another field where he has come to rely on Authority.

For this reason I don't really buy into the argument that Religious people are stupider than non religious people. They are only daft when it comes to listening to their pastors but when they get into work on monday morning they can be the sharpest guy in the office.

Everybody is daft where it comes to some field or the other and it is usually that field in which they look up to some revered Authority.

Since Authorities aren't appraised critically but rather go unquestioned, then how do we decide who or what to accept as authorities or not?

The answer is through cues, some of them it seems are hardwired in our genes. Just stupid superficial cues like 1. The tone of voice or 2. The posture or 3 something like a hat. Yeah! headgear is a weird one but it seems that all of humanity has a hardwired deference to stupid hats, the sillier the better.

A square one for Academic Authorities.....

A dirty white rag for Legal Authorities......

A crown for Kings and princes....

Flat pepeye hat for Police....

etc etc

But the bottom line is that to be an authority all you have to do is look like you know what you are talking about. Your audience will take cues from your clothes, your shoes, your posture, your tone of voice, and for certain positions a ludicrous piece of headgear. ( In other words it requires Charisma).

Of course the past experiences of your audience helps. So if you can mimic someone else that was regarded and proven as an authority in the past then you're onto a good one.

There are certain times when our traditional authorities are suddenly no longer trusted. This leads to interesting times, and in fact we live in such a time at the present. It will be interesting to explore what such a time holds in store on another post.

Also, there seems to be a inverse relationship between the extent of acquiescence to authority beyond a certain point, and the backwardness of that society.

I'll repeat that cos I don't think that I worded it too well. Up to a certain point Authority is very beneficial for humanity, but beyond that point we find that there is an inverse relationship to the importance of Authority in that society and Backwardness in that society. Let's explore that in a further post.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 2:08am On Oct 22, 2017
very excellent I must say.

3 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by LotusFan: 7:37am On Oct 22, 2017
LoJ:

I agree.
Re: Des Pensees by 4kings: 2:42pm On Oct 22, 2017
LoJ:
Well said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Church Do You Currently Attend And Why? / As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / PHOTOS- Founder Of Celica Church Of Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.