Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima (3826 Views)

2002 Nissan Pathfinder SUV for Sale.Value for Money ! / 2002 Nissan Pathfinder / Clean Tokunbo Nissan Altima 2001: Tinkan Cleared: Price:1m Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sbm4real(m): 9:35am On Mar 08, 2010
Nairalanders,

I drive a 2002 Nissan Altima and it was diagnosed to have issues with Massor Volume airflow sensor and camshaft position sensor.

The guy working on it said the Massor volume airflow sensor costs 35,000 naira and the camshaft position sensor costs 25,000 naira asides workmanship.

I think these figures are too high even though I dont mind spending money on my car, I dont want to be ripped off.

Auto doctors in the house, please advise if these prices are good.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sbm4real(m): 2:19pm On Mar 08, 2010
bump
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by cecegorz(m): 3:04pm On Mar 08, 2010
Hey bro.,

I don't know the level of technical depth your auotmech has but i'll suggest that b4 you part with a dime, make out time to listen to Radio continental mon-fri @ 8:30am. It a 30mins weekdays prog. called automedics.

That's a bunch of professional mechanics with current diagnostics equipments. You can phone in your question to them for a proper guidance.

By the way, you have to be in Lagos to get the station, man.

All da best!
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 3:12pm On Mar 08, 2010
What were the codes you pulled?
Usually when you have both codes like that, it not the sensors but something else.

MAF for your car is expensive($250) for remanufactured parts.

Just get a throttle body cleaner and clean out your air passages first, then look for leaks before you start tearing into things.

Air leaks and carbon build up in your system will trigger your sensor, check the duct(for tear) and air filter box, sensor wires.

Write down the codes first before clearing it.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Onwan: 3:17pm On Mar 08, 2010
@Poster
I'm happy for you that you were able to quickly make this post before getting heavily ripped off.

First of all, I know the Air-flow sensor of a 2000 Lexus costs about 4k at Ladipo market, and except I'm getting you wrong, I cant link 94 Nissan Maxima and 35k together.

I dont even want to go into the Camshaft postion sensor part of your story and the 25k chapter.

The way I see it; It will be helpful for you to let the house know what the original problem of your vehicle is - that led you to the Mechanic in the first place, then we can advise on the likely cause(s) and what you might need to do.

For your information;
Your 94 Nissan Maxima - the complete engine is about 50k (Tokumbo) and that freak wants you to spend like 60k? on just two very small items? [/b]You need to stop going to that person -[b] He is a criminal
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sbm4real(m): 4:27pm On Mar 08, 2010
I sincerely appreicate your contributions. The car suddenly stopped working on the road some days back and I believe it must have been due to current failure. The mechanic used his diagnostic machine to clear the code and it worked again. I drove the car home and the next morning, I drove the car out and it stopped after a while. The mechanic had to come and use his diagnostic machine to wipe it off and move it.

Onwan, Its a 2002 Nissan Altima, not 94 model. I am based in Port Harcourt and good auto shops here charge premium.

Sultan, thanks for giving me an idea of the MAF sensor price. I think the guy is within range.

I will just go ahead with the guy since my options may be limited as I am based in Port harcourt
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Onwan: 4:43pm On Mar 08, 2010
@Poster
I actually thought it was a 94 you posted earlier.

An Airflow sensor will not make the car not start, and for a 2002 Nissan Maxima; It will be very risky to buy an after-market "Brand new" of the airflow meter/sensor because they usually don't last. I will advise you buy a tokumbo original. Which you can get at any good parts market out there for less than 10k.

There are two things following your code reading that can affect you vehicle and put it in that status;

1. Fuel Pump and fuel supply.
2. The Crankshaft Sensor (not very sure , because there wont be power supply to the nuzzles even IF it was in perfect condition and the car cant start)

I think you should have your fuel pump and fuel supply checked first.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 5:15pm On Mar 08, 2010
If you can run your car above 2400rpm without severe power loss, then your MAF is probably ok all you have to do is clean you air intake system.

There is a TSB on Altima TSB NTB01-036/ITB01-029.

Start with simple things first.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sbm4real(m): 9:40am On Mar 09, 2010
Thanks all,

Sultaan, even if the mechanic knows that there are little issues with the car, they have a way of magnifying the problems for their gain. Before now, when I run the car, the rpm indicator doesnt dilate smoothly, it shakes/jumps when going up and coming down. I dont know if thats a good way to explain it. I hope with the work to be done, there will be improvement on that
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 3:45pm On Mar 09, 2010
The pics attached might help you understand where your problem might be, but first I will ask if all these  started after someone worked on the car or suddenly while driving.

The area circled in black in the pic is the reman unit sold for $250 in, jjusta pplasticand the sensor itself is the one circled in red. I still don't understand why they do that.

First, how does your air filter look?
What you need to do is check to make sure the grey connector is properly attached(you can pull it out and check if any of the pins is bent, or if its dirty)
Check to make sure you have no crack in the section circled in blue(usual culprit) it will mean your engine is getting less air than should be going in.
Make sure both clamps in green are not loose, and the hose/box circled in orange are intact.

If everything is good, get a throttle body cleaner, remove MAF sensor with philips sscrewdriverand clean it if its dirty. Reinstall, and start car.
I'm only trying to let you see where the problem could be, but remember you never gave out the codes they pulled from the car, and your description of problem points to a MAf malfunction or VVacuumleak

Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sbm4real(m): 5:06pm On Mar 09, 2010
Sultaan,

You are simply a great man. I however do not know how my air filter looks, neither do I know the exact codes that were pulled off. The guy made mention of throttle body cleaner and the likes. I think the guy knows the problem. He may be charging me for his knowledge though.

The car is currently being worked upon as we speak. I will ask him for the specific codes and get them across.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Irwindickson(m): 7:51pm On Mar 11, 2010
what is the price of the engine of an 02 nissan altima.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Irwindickson(m): 12:36pm On Mar 12, 2010
@onwan: plz what is the cost of the engine of a nissan altima 2002 model,
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Onwan: 12:50pm On Mar 12, 2010
@Irwindickson
If you don't mind me asking sir;
Why do do you want to change your engine? Its better I ask you this so we can get a solution for whatever the problem is.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Irwindickson(m): 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2010
@onwan, I'm about buying the aforementioned car, the engine vibrates like the timing chain is loose, and the engine service light is on. I really wanna seek advice before buying. If it can be repaired, then there's no other problem, so as to be sure I'm not getting into a mess. Ur phone number would really help oh, 08032864516 kingsley. Thanks man,
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Onwan: 4:19pm On Mar 12, 2010
@Irwindickson
Its nice you have not bought the vehicle yet BUT that doesn't mean it wont be a good buy depending on what I think might help in determining the condition of the engine.

Go with a mechanic

You need to catch the seller at an average use time, like after a while with the AC on, or after the vehicle has been on for a while (You may even test drive - just to have the engine warm and circulated enough);

1. Let your mechanic remove the spark plugs one after the other and carefully inspect (be there too with him) IF any of them has been fouled with oil. IF YES, STAY AWAY FROM THAT CAR, IF NO, LETS GO TO THE NEXT STEP.

2. Observe the Speedometer and the mileage counter while you test drive and make sure it is counting, also confirm that each of the meters (speedometer, revmeter, etc) are all working; including the fuel meter, the temperature meter. IF the gear system has the LED indicators, confirm they all accurately show the gear positions without blinking.

3. If it is automatic, drive this vehicle and confirm that it shifts through ALL gears - no stories

4. For the vibration - Rev this vehicle in park and notice IF you will hear any misfires; IF NO, then tell your mechanic to check under the vehicle for engine seats - to confirm if they are loose or bad (those are cheap to replace - max 2k for one)

5. If there are misfires, then you will buy and have the injector, fuel pump/supply line, air intake filter/sensor and those things overhauled and properly serviced.

6. Let your mechanic have a look at the fan belt (It might be weak), then the timing belt/chain too. Please look out for overheating.

I don't think this is too much considering the amount you will be paying to buy the car. Buying a car to change the engine is not a very good mind-set, it might not be only the engine; it might be the engine plus the complete gear, plus the brain-box  cheesy.

Check the engine first and perform these tests with your mechanic - make sure he doesn't get into any kind of negotiation with the sellers so as not to hand you a lemon car. Be involved. Fuel it, drive it and know for yourself. Invest this little time and money so you don't buy a lemon that will cost you 150k just to drive.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Irwindickson(m): 6:08pm On Mar 12, 2010
Thanks man, I will keep u posted.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 11:36pm On Mar 12, 2010
Pull the codes first, sounds like a bad sensor(can't guess) that is why you need to know the codes first.
If it crankshaft, or camshaft read the link to know what to replace.
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Nissan-Altima-Camshaft-Crankshaft-Sensors/

but pull your codes first, remove neg battery cable for 5 min to reset obd.

FYI altimas needs update on ecu, if it has been done you will find sticker in the engine
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 11:43pm On Mar 12, 2010
Irwindickson:

@onwan, I'm about buying the aforementioned car, the engine vibrates like the timing chain is loose, and the engine service light is on. I really wanna seek advice before buying. If it can be repaired, then there's no other problem, so as to be sure I'm not getting into a mess. your phone number would really help oh, 08032864516 kingsley. Thanks man,

Don't guess pull codes first that is why its there.
If your mech trie to fix it without pulling the codes he doesn't know hat he is doing.
check condition of engine oil,if it really black, needs oil change, check trans fluid, if black, walk away.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Jucol(m): 2:06am On Mar 13, 2010
@sbm4real:"

After the repair work,
I will strongly recommend that you buy a "Nissan Altima Haynes Repair Manual for 1993 thru 2006 covering all Altima models." see www.haynes.com

You will learn a lot about your car. If you are a little bit handy inclined, then you will save a lot. You can do a lot yourself and will be amazed. From changing engine oil, spark plugs, to changing shock absorbers, brake discs and lots more.

Invest in that manual and you will be glad you did.

Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 7:54pm On Mar 13, 2010
For just N2500, I have one for all 3 cars I've had.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Onwan: 8:26pm On Mar 13, 2010
@Sultaan
Did you buy locally?

Are they repair manuals or just owners' manuals
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Jucol(m): 8:45pm On Mar 13, 2010
@sultaan!

Where did you buy the Haynes repair manuals precisely? can you do this honourable house a favour by posting the source?
Thanks in anticipation grin
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 9:51pm On Mar 13, 2010
Autozone
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Jucol(m): 12:45am On Mar 14, 2010
@sultaan:

could you be a bit more generous in your answer sir?

Is autozone a physical location in Naija or an online shop. There is autozone just everywhere on the internet. An elaborate description will be very much appreciated. wink wink
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 1:33am On Mar 14, 2010
carpart retailer in US
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by diehard1: 5:47am On Mar 14, 2010
sultaan:

For just N2500, I have one for all 3 cars I've had.

Pls if it covers nissan maxima 2000 model, am interested, my email address is naija2day@gmail.com
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by NanoCar(m): 7:14am On Sep 23, 2010
Jucol:

@sultaan!

Where did you buy the haynes repair manuals precisely? can you do this honourable house a favour by posting the source?
Thanks in anticipation
grin

Hey man, have it at car-stuff.com. I see that you really need one. Good luck!
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Dabluprint: 5:51pm On Jan 31, 2011
I have a 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5. I changed my driver side headlight bulb which required me to disconnect my air flow system right near the headlight. There wasn't much to do but now I'm getting a code for my MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). It say's it's either A)Open or short circuit condition. B) Poor electrical connection. C) Failed MAF sensor.

With a lapse in judgment I started the car while the air system was off. Could that have been a reason for the sensor to go bad?
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by sultaan(m): 9:48pm On Jan 31, 2011
yes that is the reason, if you start the car while the system is disconnected, your car will throw a code.

Drive it around and the check engine light will go off on its own, should take about 6 start up cycles.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Dabluprint: 1:30am On Feb 01, 2011
Thanks. I'm not sure how many starts it's had since yesterday maybe about 8-10 but it's normal now, Thanks.
Re: Auto Doctors, Please Advise Me On My 2002 Nissan Altima by Dabluprint: 9:09am On Feb 08, 2011
Oil light stayed on for about 1 minute and goes back off when leaving work today then about 10 minutes later the service engine light comes on and stays on. I go to Autozone to check code and it comes up IVT (Intake valve timing). then I read this Tech note online just a minute again "Since the Intake valve timing control solenoid valve uses oil flow to control timing, dirty oil can cause the valve to stick open or close. Before replacing the valve, change engine oil and filter and reset engine code."

since my oil light came on 1st and now reading this. Is it safe to say that is more than likely my problem? Other problems could be IVT solenoid open or shorted, Cam/crank shaft sensor out of phase or dirt build up at control valve,

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Clean Registered 2008 Toyota Corolla For 1.4m sold sold / NEW YEAR SALE ROVER 620i NOW 330k / Reg 2006 Lexus Rx330,reg 2005 Lexus GX470 For #2.2 To Owner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.