Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? (8932 Views)

Poll: Is a masters degree from abroad worth the time and money it costs?

Yes: 85% (58 votes)
No: 14% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Man Graduates With A Distinction For Masters From A UK Uni And Offered A 50k Job / Leaving My Present Job For Studies Abroad;is It Worth It? / NIIT: Are They Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by jfoxx: 3:37pm On Feb 18, 2007
Going abroad for masters degree, is it really worth the time and millions. What are the job prospect when you come back to naija especially if u study commercial or IT related course? undecided
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by eniola1310(f): 4:09pm On Feb 18, 2007
I think it depends on what made u choose to study in those fields u mentioned.
There are lots of job opening here in nigeria, the problem is tht many job seekers fail to understand what the employers are looking for. they also fail to present themselves just the way they'll appeal to the employers.

I think getting a master's degree abroad is not a bad idea as long as u have where u are bringing the certificate by the time u are done. u have an edge over other applicants when u put in for a job and they also think u are more exposed thatn ur nigerian counterparts.

My question is why do u choose to do masters abroad? Is it that u want to get a better qualitiy education compared to what u'll get here in nigeria or u want to have a taste of how it feels to study abroad?

once u can answer the questions i think u'll know urself if i's worht it at all

1 Like

Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by alabiyemmy(m): 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2007
For sure - you get paid more than someone who has a Masters locally in Nigeria - this is true. Besides, you are thought to think and research on your own - so think about gainful self employment when you return.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by zam: 6:14pm On Feb 18, 2007
Bros if u can, or will pray 4 it. is ok. men u wont regret it. wink
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by justin04(m): 6:29pm On Feb 18, 2007
It depends on where abroad u got the masters from. But yes it is worth it. It is a shame our educational system has gone down over the years.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Tmoni(m): 10:05pm On Feb 18, 2007
my brother, i tire oooo

all ma paddies have moved on with life and going further.
me, i still dey apply for work for here wey oyinbo dey ask me ridiculous questions.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by roflmao: 11:30pm On Feb 18, 2007
Yes but only if you're fully prepared and take full advantage of the opportunity. I'm not sure of other Western countries so I can only speak from perspective in the UK:

Studying abroad gives you access to latest technologies, facilities, resources, reputed academics, peers as well as exposure to what may be pioneering discoveries and research. You can also gain useful experience within your relevant sector by undertaking part-time employment while you're studying. On completion you are allowed to seek/take up fulltime employment for upto 12months to further experience. These are part of what could give a convincing resume which should boost your chances of employment with International companies (whom I'll assume pay the best salaries) when you return. Just the fact that you've spent some time living/studying abroad is a compelling fact for an employer because of little facts like being of the ways things work outside the shores of Nigeria and Africa (e.g. A British employer will be sure you must have learnt how to appreciate and value time as opposed to most people who might believe in the idea of Nigerian time grin grin grin). That's just one of the things you cannot teach - and there are lots of them! You have to experience it, see how much they value it, and then it becomes part of you.

Like I said you have to be prepared for it. You must see it as not only studying for your Masters but a whole experience to learn another culture and incorporate some of the intangible things you find useful into improving you as a person and ultimately in your career. Trust me there is nothing like experiencing the different cultures of this incredible world of ours. That's what brought and is still bringing most westerners to unusual territories such as Africa - why can't we do the same? Good luck.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by cream2(m): 9:33am On Feb 19, 2007
well said dude!

When I interview people for jobs, any form of experience abroad ususally gives them an edge over those who don't have any.  Its amazing how how experiencing different cultures can change you as an individual for ever.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by onyekang1(f): 9:50am On Feb 19, 2007
hey, its not a bad idea at all bros.cos u r xposed 2 so many tins,as a result, u alwaz ave an edge over ur peers any time, anyday, any where.trust me am talkg out of xperience.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by deor03(m): 12:37pm On Feb 19, 2007
I gues it's usually better to have a branded masters (i.e from a world acclaimed university). you will almost get an international job after you finish. This ofcourse has already given you exposure and and confidence. It's is also better if it is possible for you to have some years of experience before doing masters,
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Godwyn(m): 6:44pm On Feb 19, 2007
Let me approach this from another perspective, Look at the alternative which is getting your first degree say your Bsc abroad thats a minimum of 3years paying in hard currency.But a masters degree means u get to spend half the time and lesser the amount but still earn the respect of your colleagues and employees as a BEEN TO grin
If u have the opportunity dont just hold on to it my brova, GRAB IT!!!!! wink
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Rlst84sale(m): 1:17am On Apr 13, 2007
It's always a great idea to get education, I don't care where you get it from.  It is very sad though the way they program us in Naija that go to school get a degree and start looking for a job. It would have been better if it is the other way round, I would always therefore advise anybody to get education, but when you do, please study something that you can always start/create your own business and employ others with in case the job thingy doesn't work out.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by ZENOI: 11:49pm On Apr 16, 2007
hello there,
men have you heard of the carrington heritage foundation scholarship with bank PHB? Is that cool or what smiley
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by deor03(m): 7:00am On Sep 04, 2007
@ZENOI

i think this thing is a fraud angry angry angry
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Goldmann(m): 11:52pm On Sep 28, 2007
Whether or not a masters abroad is worth it depends on several factors
1. Do it in a field that is relevant in Nigeria if ure bent on comin bak
2. Go to A GOOD SCHOOL 4 GODS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!, Really if u go to a school that sucks, you wont impress quality employers, Of which, with a masters 4rom a very good school, u can get good employment over there
3. As much as u can, do well academically, sacrifice ur play to get a masters with distinction (its very possible if ure focused)
Only if these 3 are fulfilled, will it be worth it, otherwise ure better of using ur money to drink SEPE and go CLUBBIN!!!!! grin
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by oIo(m): 10:13am On Sep 29, 2007
Goldmann:

Whether or not a masters abroad is worth it depends on several factors
1. Do it in a field that is relevant in Nigeria if ure bent on comin bak
2. Go to A GOOD SCHOOL 4 GODS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!, Really if u go to a school that sucks, you wont impress quality employers, Of which, with a masters 4rom a very good school, u can get good employment over there
3. As much as u can, do well academically, sacrifice your play to get a masters with distinction (its very possible if ure focused)
Only if these 3 are fulfilled, will it be worth it, otherwise ure better of using your money to drink SEPE and go CLUBBIN!!!!! grin

Goldmann:
Is Malaspina University-College in Canada a good school for a dual degree in MBA and MSc International Business from Univ of Hertfordshire,UK
www.mala.ca
Is it?
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by fawwyb(m): 4:06pm On Sep 29, 2007
Well, studying abroad is rather expensive but the interesting thing is that you are likely to get one or two bursaries or scholarship. Am a Nigerian, i graduated from OAU last year, I knew how many years i spent to run a four-year course in OAU without having an extra or something. Am now in South Africa doing my masters programme, infact i had to suspend my NYSC programme after 3months of NYSC programme. My university is on number 7 in Africa, am not showing off or something but am trying to bring out a point.
You have got alot of oppurtunities outside Nigeria, especially if you have good first degree result . I actually paid for my school fees but the bursaries am enjoying here is more than the fee i paid, and in addition to that, i was offered a job on campus, the job is all about assiting lecturers on a particular practical course only on fridays and my salary is even higher than what some graduates workers receive in Nigeria.
If you want to study abroad for your masters, you need to understand some facts.

1. Make sure that the school you are going to is not a mushroom school, infact not all foreign certificates are recognised and acceptable in Nigeria.

2. Be sure that the school you are going to is good in the course you are interested in, some schools are known for good Engineering programmes, some for Law etc

3. Be ready to spend money even if you have 100% scholarship, you will still spend some bucks

4. Your first degree CGPA matters  to some extent, incase where you need a graduate fund etc

To me, is worth it to study outside Nigeria, and besides, have got to realised that schooling is not as difficult as we see it in Nigeria. You don't need to spend forever  scraming or burn night candles all because you want to pass your exams. I hope when am done with my MSc and PhD i will come back to Nigeria to finish my NYSc and pick up a lecturing job all things been equal

1 Like

Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Goldmann(m): 11:48pm On Sep 30, 2007
Sorry mate, i cant say, i suggest u check guardian.co.uk or the Times rankings to compare ratings of schools in the u.k. But for schools in Canada, I really cant say. Good luck
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Bblak(f): 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2007
@poster
It's worth it as long as you av all it takes to skool there.I av d plans of having my masters degree there too.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by wed123(m): 8:30pm On Oct 08, 2007
oIo:

Goldmann:
Is Malaspina University-College in Canada a good school for a dual degree in MBA and MSc International Business from Univ of Hertfordshire,UK
www.mala.ca
Is it?

oIo, just forget the idea of studying at either schools cos at the end, the degrees are not worth your stress and money.-- except you are a budding entrepreneur and do not plan on seeking employment. Again, as much as a "dual degree" sounds cool, it's actually a bad idea. It will put you "neither here nor there". I’d advise you to concentrate on one degree and specialize in one field.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by oIo(m): 10:17am On Oct 20, 2007
wed123:

oIo, just forget the idea of studying at either schools because at the end, the degrees are not worth your stress and money.-- except you are a budding entrepreneur and do not plan on seeking employment. Again, as much as a "dual degree" sounds cool, it's actually a bad idea. It will put you "neither here nor there". I’d advise you to concentrate on one degree and specialize in one field.

God bless you wed123, just wat i needed to hear. Thanks a bunch. U just saved me some cool cash which would be channeled to a better school at worst LBS. <big hug>.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Stanozcom(m): 4:06am On Apr 01, 2008
Yeah, I'm really considering it!
But I think I'm going to be needing alot of advice. . .
Onyeka_ng, did you study "for outside country (sic)" too?
smiley
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by earthrealm(m): 4:51am On Apr 01, 2008
4get swededn.russia, denmark, etc,
if the msc aint from us, or at worst uk, 4get am, u might as well go to good ol ui or unn n also its not even all the schools in the above named countries that r kosher,
take a school like robert gordon, its a very reputable school, though pretty expensive 4 foriegners, about 12k pounds, but having a masters there is almost certain that u will get a job asap, international job sef,
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Ezinwannem: 6:14pm On Apr 02, 2008
@poster, if you have the money, do your Maters abroad, itz worth it,

I am doing International Development Studies now and my 3rd year full course was just dedicated to RESEARCH as the name is "RESEARCH METHODS" , its worth schooling outside Naija, am in Canada and loving it
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Stanozcom(m): 10:05am On Apr 03, 2008
Ezinwannem, how did it all cost? How did you start? Who did you talk to? What forms did you fill? Which offices did you visit? Who did you call?
smiley

I need info, Ezi. A lot of it.
Please help a curious Nairalander.

smiley
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by omogidi234(m): 10:15am On Apr 06, 2008
Stanoz.com:

Ezinwannem, how did it all cost? How did you start? Who did you talk to? What forms did you fill? Which offices did you visit? Who did you call?
smiley

I need info, Ezi. A lot of it.
Please help a curious Nairalander.

smiley

if you want to do masters in U.k i can give you some link. please do not hesitate to mail at: kleandenation@yahoo.ca.
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by bychu(m): 11:05pm On Apr 06, 2008
Going abroad for your master degree is a fantastic idea. This is true cos most nigerians believe that anything abroad is off da hook and using it for job search will definately put u ahead of other applicants. So go grab it. I'm talking from experience
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by bychu(m): 11:05pm On Apr 06, 2008
Going abroad for your master degree is a fantastic idea. This is true cos most nigerians believe that anything abroad is off da hook and using it for job search will definately put u ahead of other applicants. So go grab it. I'm talking from experience
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by tomasson(m): 2:37pm On Apr 08, 2008
its well worth it,cos u ar generally given preference over yr Naija counterparts.I repeat it's worth d time,labour,effort,energy,money nd all u can think.But in my advice,yr knowledge will b more productive if u can start something of yr own.I mean a new product or service in yr area of specialization.All d best!!!!!!Pal shocked

1 Like

Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by Ezinwannem: 4:55pm On Apr 08, 2008
@Stanoz.com, I which I can supply you with answers to those questions but I can't because none of those happened, I have been schooling in Canada practically my whole life.

Good luck though but trust me, its worth it
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by TheSly: 4:59pm On Apr 08, 2008
Its worth it!! smiley
Re: Masters From Abroad: Is It Worth It? by lucabrasi(m): 1:48am On Apr 11, 2008
still having undergrad studies in the uk at the moment but i have seen a nigerian coleague who has gotten a confirmed place already in shell and efcc so i suggest you consider uk for your masters as it seems a lot of people prefer uk for some reason mostly in aberdeen uni in scotland,salford uni in anchester,mmu,etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread / Banks Will Halt Retrenchment- CBN / Interested In Music?http://www.datafilehost.com/d/0d12fe02......download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.