Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Slavery And The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Slavery And The Bible (1210 Views)

Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why? / Islamic Slavery In Africa / What's Your Favourite Verse(s)/chapter(s) In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slavery And The Bible by Jen33(m): 3:56pm On Feb 18, 2007
Surprise surprise: THE BIBLE SUPPORTS SLAVERY  grin

Except for murder, slavery has got to be one of the most immoral things a person can get involved in.  Yet slavery is rampant throughout the Bible in both the Old and New Testaments.  The Bible clearly approves of slavery in many passages, and it goes as far as to advise on how to obtain slaves, how hard you can beat them, and when you can have sex with the female slaves.  grin 

Many Jews and Christians will try to ignore the moral problems of slavery by saying that these slaves were actually servants or indentured servants.  Many translations of the Bible use the word "servant", "bondservant", or "manservant" instead of "slave" to make the Bible seem less immoral than it really is.  While many slaves may have worked as household servants, that doesn't mean that they were not slaves who were bought, sold, and treated worse than livestock.

The following passage shows that slaves are clearly property to be bought and sold like livestock.

''However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.''  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT) (Thanks ''Lord'', for teaching us to be racist.)  grin

The following passage describes how the Hebrew slaves are to be treated.

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years.  Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.  If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year.  But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. 

If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master.  But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children.  I would rather not go free.'  If he does this, his master must present him before God.  Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl.  After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.
  (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

Notice how they can get a male Hebrew slave to become a permanent slave by keeping his wife and children hostage until he says he wants to become a permanent slave.  What kind of family values are these?

The following passage describes the sickening practice of sex slavery.  How can anyone think it is moral to sell your own daughter as a sex slave?

''When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.  If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.  But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.  And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.  If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.  If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.''  (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

So these are the Bible family values!  A man can buy as many sex slaves as he wants as long as he feeds them, clothes them, and FUUKS them!

What does the Bible say about beating slaves?  It says you can beat both male and female slaves with a rod so hard that as long as they don't die right away you are cleared of any wrong doing!

''When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.''  (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

You would think that Jesus and the New Testament would have a different view of slavery, but slavery is still approved of in the New Testament, as the following passages show.

''Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.  Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.''  (Ephesians 6:5 NLT) (This quote actually means that the Bible considers it a sin for slaves to revolt, and that if the Bible had its way, blacks would still be slaves in America, Brazil, and the Caribbean)  cool

''Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed.  If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful.  You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts.  Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.''  (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

In the following parable, Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

''The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly.  Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given."  (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Just another day in the hypocrisy and doublespeak-laden book erroneously referred to  as ''God's word'' by some deluded individuals calling themselves born again Christians.

I suppose you all support SLAVERY too, just like your ''Holy'' Bible does. grin
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Seun(m): 4:08pm On Feb 18, 2007
Like all works of fiction, the bible is a product of its authors' environment. It was written at a time when slavery was ok.

1 Like

Re: Slavery And The Bible by Jen33(m): 4:12pm On Feb 18, 2007
Thanks for reminding us that the book is a work of fiction, something that escapes our colonised die-hards here.
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Seun(m): 8:32pm On Feb 18, 2007
I'm an unbeliever in religion. That's why I can say such a thing. Most people here would find that offensive.
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Backslider(m): 9:55pm On Feb 18, 2007
@Jen And Seun

Please you have no clue of what you are saying at all, The Theme of Leviticus is Ordinance on How to Live in a Nation of Israel at that time.

If you look very well in the history of the Jews You will see they Hardly colonized people like other civilization did to them. Remember we colonized them for 400 years and I wonder what we would have done to them.

The bible and Slavery has no bearing This were the words of Moses for the Children of Israel at that Time. When They because a Godly nation (Solomon Time) people wanted to make their nation like that of Israel under the leadership of Solomon.

There practices that were practiced those times for instance the worship of Baal Where an Image of a calf is made and a baby is put the fire with the priest and priestess having sex. My brother There is alot of recording where the made recorded evil things that man did and is still doing. The main aim is to uncover sin and clean it with the blood of a Holy man(Jesus. man and God).
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Seun(m): 10:41pm On Feb 18, 2007
Hehehe. The New Testament doesn't condemn slavery, but instead regulates it by commanding slave obedience.
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Jen33(m): 6:09am On Feb 19, 2007
Seun said:
Hehehe. The New Testament doesn't condemn slavery, but instead regulates it by commanding slave obedience.

To be honest I don't know which I find funnier, that, or Backslider's half-assed rationalisations above. grin
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Jen33(m): 6:23am On Feb 19, 2007
The silliest rationalisation Christians profer for the dilemma and embarassment of their Bible's support for slavery is that ''it was a common practice at the time''.

But one would have thought that that would be PRECISELY why the Bible would be opposed to it, and one of it's main reasons for being - ie tackling the ills at the time that caused human suffering.

If this argument made sense, WHY would God have any problems with  ANY 'sin' committed today? A 'sinner' would argue (with some merit) that just as slavery was common in Bible days, when the Bible supported it, so too is embezzlement today, or homosexuality, or fornication, or murder, child-trafficking, prostitution and drug addiction.

All those 'sins' are ''the in thing'' today, so by extension, the Bible MUST support and encourage those things today.

Just as it supported SLAVERY in the Bible.
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Backslider(m): 8:56am On Feb 19, 2007
@Jen

If you read the bible very well you will understand. But you are closing your eyes to read the Bible (which is your Right to do so) However you will be called to defend your Position at the throne of grace on the Very Last day.

Jesus Says Love your Neighbor as yourself. We are free from the Grip and Control of sin when we are saved. The Ordinance was for the people of Israel and God permitted it. When You shall Stand Be for a Court of Justice it is called the Great White Throne Judgment You shall be naked and I want you to know what you will answer is your Life here On earth
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Jen33(m): 9:39am On Feb 19, 2007
Backslider, so Jesus said Love your neighbour as yourself?

Does 'your neighbour' include slaves?

The same 'Jesus' said:

''The slave will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly."  (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

So, are slaves included in this love, Mr brainwashed Ghanaman?
Re: Slavery And The Bible by Backslider(m): 10:41am On Feb 19, 2007
@ My friend Jen

I will not attack you. I am Nigerian (Yoruba) and I live in Ghana. You have Quoted the bible Wrongly and this is Dangerous The Crust in the statement there is Jesus Using an Illustration. Be Honest to Yourself and read that place very well.

People brainwash into thinking that Satan and God are Fake because They dont want to live a holy life. The truth is that I was Engaged in what you are doing and it will take your SINCERE heart To Ask God To Prove Him self to you. Hope you will have the ear to listen when he does.

relax my brother God will answer you at his Own Time. The Love of God is everywhere arround you take and live with it let him explain to you his love.

(1) (Reply)

Win $10,000 For Scientific Proof Of Evolution. / Should True Followers Of Jesus The Christ Celebrate 25 December / Are All Religions False?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.