Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze (931 Views)

Asaba Massacre: Untold Story Of Tragedy And Carnage / Who Sold Nigeria To The British For £865k In 1899? - By Cheta Nwanze / Soyinka, Kukah, Nwodo, Duke And Others For 50th Memorial Of Asaba Massacre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by myright: 7:02am On Oct 05, 2017
Cheta Nwanze, social commentator and researcher at SBM Intelligence, says he was sent off air on Thursday while having a live interview on Nigeria Info FM.

Nwanze, who was the former managing editor at YNaija, an internet newspaper for young Nigerians, told TheCable that the station manager claimed to have received a phone call from the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) ordering him to stop the discussion.

“We were on air, I was talking, the station manager came in, spoke to Nelly (the host), and she stopped me and played an advert,” he told TheCable.

“Then she reached out to him and found out that the NBC had called him to stop the discussion.

“I was talking about the Asaba Massacre. It happened on October 7, 1967.”

The show, Midday Dialogue, was hosted by Nelly Kalu.

Efforts to reach the radio station and the show host to confirm the incident proved abortive as they did not respond to the messages sent via Twitter.

The Asaba massacre occurred during the Nigerian civil war. Troops had invaded the houses of civilians, who they claimed were Biafran sympathisers.

About 700 lives were reportedly lost in the incident.

The 50th anniversary of the event is expected to hold in Asaba, Delta state capital, with dignitaries like Wole Soyinka, Nobel Laureate, Donald Duke; former governor of Cross River and Matthew Kukah, bishop of Sokoto diocese, in attendance.

https://www.thecable.ng/cheta-nwanze-i-was-sent-off-air-for-discussing-asaba-massacre
Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 05, 2017
Mtchheeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww
A bigger one
Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by Nobody: 7:04am On Oct 05, 2017
Trying to hide history is a wasted effort on arrival

3 Likes

Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by IJOBA2: 7:13am On Oct 05, 2017
MYND44 EKARO O
Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by dunkem21(m): 7:16am On Oct 05, 2017
IJOBA2:
QUOTE ME IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED YET grin

Lol.. The guy is off air cheesy
Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by superstar1(m): 7:17am On Oct 05, 2017
Why did you not discuss the Benin and Warri massacre by the Biafrau.d bandits?

Why did you not discuss the looting of the CBN office in Benin by the Biafrau.d urchins?

Hypocrisy at it's best!!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by KEVIND: 7:18am On Oct 05, 2017
THE ASABA MASSACRE

The Federal troops entered Asaba around October 5, and began ransacking houses and killing civilians, claiming they were Biafran sympathisers. Leaders summoned the towns people to assemble on the morning of October 7, hoping to end the violence through a show of support for "One Nigeria." Hundreds of men, women, and children, many wearing the ceremonial akwa ocha (white) attire paraded along the main street, singing, dancing, and chanting "One Nigeria." At a junction, men and teenage boys were separated from women and young children, and gathered in an open square at Ogbe-Osowa village.

Federal troops revealed machine guns, and orders were given, reportedly by Second-in-Command, Maj. Ibrahim Taiwo , to open fire. It is estimated that more than 700 men and boys were killed, some as young as 12 years old, in addition to many more killed in the preceding days.

The bodies of some victims were retrieved by family members and buried at home. But most were buried in [mass grave]]s, without appropriate ceremony. Many extended families lost dozens of men and boys.
Federal troops occupied Asaba for many months, during which time most of the town was destroyed, many women and girls were raped or forcibly "married," and large numbers of citizens fled, often not returning until the war ended in 1970.

SUSPECT:

Ibrahim B. Haruna has sometimes been named as the officer who ordered the massacre, following a report of his testimony to the Nigerian Human Rights Violations Investigations Commission, known as the Oputa Panel.
Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by myright: 7:19am On Oct 05, 2017
IJOBA2:
QUOTE ME IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED YET grin
i don't really care
Re: I Was Sent Off Air For Discussing Asaba Massacre- Cheta Nwanze by Mynd44: 7:22am On Oct 05, 2017

(1)

Fulani Herdsmen Defy Plateau Curfew As Six Killed, Properties Destroyed / I Can Bring Out Over N2trn Stolen Funds – Wanted Maina Speaks From Hiding -VIDEO / Atiku Tsunami : Rev. Fr. Mbaka Endorses  atiku For 2019 Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.