Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,926 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 (26794 Views)

This Is The Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Amalgamation Document / Former Judge, Businessmen… Dead Persons Who ‘signed’ Melaye’s Recall Register / The Colonial Flag Of Nigeria Between 1914-1960 (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by ItsMeAboki(m): 3:49pm On Oct 07, 2017
markfemisgay:

Aboki have you killed today.

You mean that your armed robber papa wey we caught raping one ashawo - wey fit be your mama too?
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by misterawo: 3:54pm On Oct 07, 2017
Mutuwa:

Thank you my brother..
People just come online and post tales and expect everyone to believe..
Reference....or Na lie.. simple.

misterawo:

Sampson
Oduche

IBO LAND — 1860-1960
A century of Contact with the British
S.N Nwabara

TRADE AND IMPERIALISM IN SOUTHERN NIGERIA 1881-1916
By Walter Ofonagoro

BRITISH ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA 1900-1950
A Nigerian view by Isaac Okonjo

These three or any of them can go a long way to help.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by adetoya234: 3:56pm On Oct 07, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

You mean that your armed robber papa wey we caught raping one ashawo - wey fit be your mama too?
Stop running around the bush. My question is whether you have killed today or not. Abi you no fit read.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by leofab(f): 4:27pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ballmer:

Aunty if you read through what you quoted without bias you'd have seen the debunking, a simple cogent point that invalidated all the nonsense he wrote and that's coming from me who is not an historian. At the height of the agitation by the colonies the British decided colonies that demanded for Independence should be granted and that was why Ghana independence was granted in 1957.

The singular reason Nigeria independence was delayed till 1960 was because Azikwe demanded unified southern and northern protectorate should be granted independence together as a country. Awo & Zik led the agitation with the northerners not even interested. It took 3 yrs for the British and Zik to convince them to be a part of the Nigeria project so how the moronic idiotic Igbo twisted history on it's head claiming there was no Igbo at the table to sign the amalgamation is shocking.

A blind bigoted Igbo girl like you will not see that but rather accuse those who counter the lies as a rat on mensuration. Even a monkey would decipher that without fact or explanation but Igbo would not be able to because of bigotry and stupidity like you exhibited.
how old was zik and awo in the year 1957? Stop lying to yourself.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by leofab(f): 4:28pm On Oct 07, 2017
All words no meaning
AlPeter:
for one iin 1957 when discussing Nigeria's indepedence the issue of our continued existence as a nation was discussed. The Igbos,represented by the NCNC, were the one's who fought the Yorubas, represented by the AC, tooth and nail for the continuance of Nigeria as a nation. After the AC submitted another proposition was made by the AC; inclusion of a succession clause in the constitution. The same NCNC threatened to report the leadership of the AC to the British on charges of treason. Years later it's the same myopic fooz disturbing the peace all over shouting contraption contraption. If there's a people in Nigeria that should complain about the creation of Nigeria it's the Benins a people who ruled almost the entire SS, get tributes from the SE and controlled some f the SW before the British but were reduced to only one state because they fought the British.
misterawo blaqoracle AburoBuhari Histrings08 daveP iamchybs ib0221 muykem Hofbrauhaus policy12 Reski Tolexander
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by misterawo: 4:40pm On Oct 07, 2017
Kamanuozuzu:

Chijioke, if u'd like this published in a newspaper, kindly send me a private message. Let's discuss it.

Nice one, Bro.

I am not Chijioke Ngobili. I only shared his article to the wider audience. You can contact him on Facebook.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by TimeMod1: 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2017
leofab:
All words no meaning
All quote no sense. Nothing to offer.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Ngokafor(f): 5:21pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ballmer:

I completely agree with you we have nothing in common the more reason I suggested Igbo should vacate the planet Earth for other humans willing to coexist among themselves. Regarding leaving you out of what you want out of maybe you should call Nnamdu Azikwe who pleaded and begged for three good years to force the Northerners into what they never wanted but bigoted dimwits like you will not have the brain power to go as far back that memory lane or will simply jump over it and talk amalgamation.. Lol.

You can keep following the footsteps of your dead ancestors to determine your life and destiny,but some of us shall move past those to chart a course for ourselves,by any mean necessary...It is only brain-dead simpletons who will keep referring to what their ancestors did as a way forward for them....You all should go back in time when your ancestors where in the bush with no form of education what-so-ever as a way if life...but you must count us out someday soon,whether you like it or not.

..and yes we have nothing in common..You can bite your brains out but i am as real as you can get..I am not a pretentious,hypocriite lke you who have something against Igbos but berate me for having something against Hausas and Yorubas...You and your northern friends have a right to exist but we do not have to share the same country because it is way too toxic....There are other humans i do not share same country with(Arabs,Chinese,Europeans e.t.c)...Therefore You lots are not special in any way..I am just saying it as it is...We have no love for one another,the earlier everyone finds their square root the better..period
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Mutuwa(m): 6:18pm On Oct 07, 2017
misterawo:

Thanks copiously.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:42pm On Oct 07, 2017
adetoya234:

Stop running around the bush. My question is whether you have killed today or not. Abi you no fit read.

Big fool, if you can't understand a simple answer; then get a more intelligent bloda with less kuru ravaged brain to translate for you.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by adetoya234: 10:04pm On Oct 07, 2017
ItsMeAboki:

Big fool, if you can't understand a simple answer; then get a more intelligent bloda with less kuru ravaged brain to translate for you.
What a pity

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Ballmer: 11:25pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ngokafor:

You can keep following the footsteps of your dead ancestors to determine your life and destiny,but some of us shall move past those to chart a course for ourselves,by any mean necessary...It is only brain-dead simpletons who will keep referring to what their ancestors did as a way forward for them....You all should go back in time when your ancestors where in the bush with no form of education what-so-ever as a way if life...but you must count us out someday soon,whether you like it or not.

..and yes we have nothing in common..You can bite your brains out but i am as real as you can get..I am not a pretentious,hypocriite lke you who have something against Igbos but berate me for having something against Hausas and Yorubas...You have and your northern friends have a right to exist but we do not have to share the same country because it is way too toxic....There are other humans i do not share same country with(Arabs,Chinese,Europeans e.t.c)...Therefore You lots are not special in any way..I am just saying it as it is...We have no love for one another,the earlier everyone finds their square root the better..period

Good luck with your delusion, by the way the only brain dead human here is the Godforsaken Zik "your forefather" that pleaded for three whole years to ensure Northerners were included in a union they never wanted to be. I presume your forefather were brain dead long ago to make such a pathetic mistake.

Who knows in the next few years from now after your exclusion from Nigeria some brain dead unborn children of yours might be agitating for inclusion in Nigeria again. We all know the only thing folks like you bring to the table beside hate greed is delusion.

Like your Godfosaken ancestors and fathers Igbo alone own the right to determine who they want included in their union and when. They alone also owns the right to decide when to break up the union the pleaded other for three years to be a part of while the other owns only the right to shut up while you run their madness and delusion over them. Too many sick fools up in hood.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by ItsMeAboki(m): 3:04pm On Oct 08, 2017
adetoya234:

What a pity

Your breakfast is served - bloody Cannibal.

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by AlPeter: 8:38pm On Oct 08, 2017
Napoleondegreat:

how old are you? There was nothing like AC in 1957. The west had Action Group AG, while the east had NCNC. when you are ignorant, the best thing you can do to help yourself is to short up and learn from those who know
you see how silly you are, don't you? so making the mistake of typing AG for AC makes me ignorant? Interesting. By the way am older than the one who taught you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by AlPeter: 9:13pm On Oct 08, 2017
leofab:
how old was zik and awo in the year 1957? Stop lying to yourself.
how Old were Zik and Awo in 1957? In this discussion you deserve a serious slap for that question. Even an 8 year old won't ask such question. Let me show you how stupid the question is: when did Nigeria gain independence? Who fought for the independence? Now subtract 1957 from the year of independence... Kapish

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by intruxive(m): 10:34pm On Oct 08, 2017
Plenty rubish
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by obyall: 1:26pm On Mar 06, 2018
This write up can just be a manipulative one.why these people do not tell the story to Awo, Zik and Bello. I am practically sure Bello and Awolowo if he was alive today did not know all these and was not told...The agreement also has an expiring date as well.. they said it is 100 years agreement. since Igbos were not there, is it not time Nigeria forget about the beneficiary of today's Nigeria structure and come together and structure or almagamate it well for the future and prosperity of the country. Let us forget about who the present structure of Nigeria is benefiting today and do the right thing.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by achiever12: 2:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
potent5:
The aabokiis were key in the birth of this charade called a country; they will also be key in its dismemberment when they are satisfied with the senselessness of the entire idea.

They will only be satisfied when they discover crude oil in the north
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by achiever12: 2:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
obyall:
This write up can just be a manipulative one.why these people do not tell the story to Awo, Zik and Bello. I am practically sure Bello and Awolowo if he was alive today did not know all these and was not told...The agreement also has an expiring date as well.. they said it is 100 years agreement. since Igbos were not there, is it not time Nigeria forget about the beneficiary of today's Nigeria structure and come together and structure or almagamate it well for the future and prosperity of the country. Let us forget about who the present structure of Nigeria is benefiting today and do the right thing.

Please where is the evidence that the agreement has a 100 years expiry date?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by juddy4life: 3:59pm On Mar 06, 2018
Ballmer:

You have only chosen to be gullible. I am a Yoruba and 1000% in support of referendum but Igbo would not dictate terms and conditions of the referendum. They can do that only when an Igbo man is the president in essence if they chose to break up Nigeria then it would be their loss. You read tru the article but did not read tru the deceit of the writer. Do not let any senseless Igbo hoodwink you into hating the northerners.

If you must hate let that be on your own accord. Igbo are born with hate and will perish by it. It is impossible for the British to merge three nation without any representation from a part. It is not possible. If you read through the formation of Isreal as unfair as the British were they still insisted on certain rights for the Arabs which was what led to their persecution by the Jews Zionist till they hurriedly left the catastrophe they created for the USA to take over.

NEVER BELIEVE A THING FROM ANY IGBO PREACHING HATE ANGER DISDAIN AGAINST OTHER TRIBES. IT IS THE POLITICS THEY KNOW HOW TO PLAY. IGBOS WERE NEVER INCLUDED YET AZIKWE DELAYED OUR INDEPENDENCE FOR THREE YEAR SO THE HAUSA FULANI CAN BE A PART OF NIGERIA HE INTENDS TO RULE.
You are a very big fool and bastard. Aboki/Fulani slave. I'm so sorry for u. grin
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by steve6: 6:53pm On Apr 21, 2019
Hmmmm...
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Bella55555(f): 7:01pm On Apr 21, 2019
misterawo:
On October 1, 2017, a very brief post lightly circulated on Facebook. I didn’t really take it seriously even though I made some comprehensive comments under some two different names that carried it. However, as days went by, I kept seeing the post re-circulated and shared to the extent of meeting it again in a Whatsapp group.

Initially, I was overwhelmed by the volume of ignorant takes that trailed the post. In fact, in one of the posts where I commented in my effort to educate folks, I was ridiculed but I was firm enough to engage the disagreeing interlocutors and argue my points out.

The said post goes thus:

“If zik was born 1904, Awolowo 1909, Ahmadu Bello 1910, Tafawa Belewa 1912, M. Okpara 1920 who agreed and signed 1914 amalgamation?”

To this, there were two groups of reactionaries. The first were youths in their 20s and 30s — people of my generation. They were expressing surprise and awe at such a “smart” question which nobody can decode or would be a hard nut to crack. Immediately, I saw the devastating effect of their poverty of historical knowledge and consciousness ably facilitated by the Nigeria Establishment over the years through direct and indirect cancelling out of history studies in our formative stages. The second group included middle-aged people who have some appreciable knowledge or answer to the question but are insistent on knowing the “signatories” at the amalgamation. As a teacher, I have the habit of never taking any question for granted or useless because there might be that one person in the crowd struggling taciturnly to know and understand something that might illuminate his/her mind in the process. So, I’m making a few points—mainly to raise more discussions rather than lump my takes—as regards that post in the interest of those who don’t know but are interested in knowing or augmenting the clarity of what they know.

1. “Nigeria” – as a word or a place – was never instituted with the consent of our forefathers when it came into being at the dawn of 19th century (remember the Berlin Conference of 1885-6 that officially gave British the geographical dominance) as well as the beginning of 20th century (creation of the Southern and Northern Protectorates in 1900). Note also that the present core North was formerly called “Western Soudan” until 1900. The people presently answering and have answered “Nigerians” up till today merely inherited a business/colonial empire belonging to the British people and were forced to make a “nation” out of it unlike, say, Americans that wiped off their colonial legacy and were fully involved in renegotiating their country to what THEY WANT! Ever notice how America has quietly yanked off anything “British” in their march through history such that many young Africans are always surprised to learn that the same Britain that colonized them colonized America too?!

2. It is funny how many Nigerian folks see Zik, Awo and Bello as some “old” forefathers. Hello, these men were born at the beginning of 20th century—not so long ago! They were just of the generation of my grandfather and uncles. Such persons need to realize that Nnamdi Azikiwe’s father was a clerk to the British masters who never allowed them acquire education beyond what is equivalent to today’s Primary school studies. Even Zik’s father and his generation (born in the 19th century) didn’t fully appreciate what “amalgamation” implied as they were merely servants of their British masters who were running a business for the Colonial Office in London using a large field called “Nigeria”. By 1920s, Zik himself began to understand the complexity of the world around him and it took him many years between the 1920s and 1930s to acquire the weapon to fight the Establishment. Then another round of 20 years between the 1940s and 1960 to consummate that dream. Same can be said of Obafemi Awolowo. Slightly, same can be said of Bello for he was only a product of the “British affection” for the ‘loyal North’ that doesn’t want to threaten its religious institutions with the influx of Western civilization. One must note that all the British officers who served in the North were all men who had served in the Malayan and Strait States where Islamism was the core culture/religion. They were carefully selected to perpetuate the servility and docility of the Northern Islamic culture in the ‘future interest’ of the British—that is today’s Fulani Hegemony in the Nigerian Political power matrix.

3. There were only 28 persons involved in the so-called “amalgamation” of January, 1914. While 6 persons were Nigerians, the rest were British including Frederick Lord Lugard himself, Lewis Harcourt (the secretary of state for the colonies whose name Port-Harcourt city took after leaving the original “Igweocha/Obumotu”) and other European officers in charge of the two Protectorates. The following were the ONLY “Nigerians” officially involved in the amalgamation signage:

• A lawyer, Sir Kitoyi Ajasa (representing the African community in Lagos as a Legislative Council member of the Colony since 1902). Lagos was mainly for the British. Then the rest were summed up as “African community” which included the returnee slaves of Sierra-Leone, Nigerians themselves, Ghanaians, etc.
• His Highness, Oladugbolu (Alaafin of Oyo)
• Hon. R Henshaw (Obong of Calabar)
• Hon. Maiturare (Sarkin Mussulumi and Sultan of Sokoto)
• Hon. Abubakar (Shehu of Borno)
• Hon. Usuman (Emir of Kano)

Note, from the above, that there was no Igbo traditional ruler involved. Not even the Eze Chima of Onicha those days. The Aro Expedition that was the final conquest of Igboland had happened 12 years earlier between 1901 and 1902 as the British Indirect treachery had been fiercely resisted by the Igbo people in the late 19th century. Again, note that there was more Fulani/Northern presence than any other “Nigerians” in the signage. The “pact” between the British and the Northern Oligarchy had been sealed for over a century and what we complain of today should never be a surprise to anyone who knows history. We are merely slaves living out the dreams and arrangement of unconcerned bourgeoisies—by sheer force!

4. By the time Zik had acquired enough weapons to lead the war against the British continued imperialism in the so-called Nigeria, the whole moribund arrangement had existed for more than 30 years. How many persons had been educated enough at that time? Only a few! Michael Okpara was even just a very young man at the time. The only visible result they could make out of the whole complication was Independence. Today, that Independence is only 57 years old {with over 50 years of nothing to show and 3 years of war from it all}.

5. In conclusion, those who see Zik, Awo, Bello, Balewa, Okpara, etc as some ancestral forefathers and architects of this whole impossible behemoth should realize that these men met an arrangement that had existed for about 40 years—an arrangement far older than them. They spent the rest of their lives trying to make sense of it. That’s all! When people of Nigeria say “I love Nigeria” and all the attendant shallow emotional similarities, do they really know what they love? Do they know its form, origin, the pacts of its workings and its future? Certainly not! No honest person who appreciates these things easily proclaims love for Nigeria. S/he, at best, remains silent. The Colonial Machine it is, has been and still continues. I hope this gives some answer and clarity to the above post and the needless but instructive contentions that trailed it.

©Chijioke Ngobili
too long and I don't understand a thing
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Ugwuoke347(m): 8:11pm On Apr 21, 2019
Histrings08:
What a reasonable question... Buh chief Awolowo has always bn an intelligent man with a strong foresight... Ipodbshouid stop complaining, we should av parted ways easily buh one of their kinsmen sold them out to the fukani/hausa

You are absolutely correct.
Awo was wise, shrewd and very realistic right from the beginning.
He was resented by the colonials for that.
He already pointed out the basic defect of the Nigerian state.
He worked to give the best advantage available at his time to the nation of his heart: the Yoruba nation.
Awo never really had any conviction in Nigeria,
and he made no pretences about it.
Such a practical man who had a clear vision of things even when his counterparts were waxing poetic about such utopic will-o-the-wisp as United States of Africa!
Imagine an African version of the Soviet Union being contemplated by some irresponsible idealists when African tribes and enclaves were ever at daggers-drawn!
Awo saw through it all and stuck to what was feasible and real!

It has been postulated that Awo played the ignominious role he played during the Biafran War as a form of payback to Zik and the Igbos for the role Zik's regime played in jailing him for treason. And of course, it is easy to imagine the dominant sentiment at the time. It was felt that Zik insisted on One Nigeria against proposals for deamalgamation so that he could perpetuate himself and his Igbo folks in socioeconomic dominance of a vast territory!
And when the tables were turned, he and his Igbo folks must be stopped by all means from running away from the reality of being dominated by others!
That was the mind-setting that drove Awo and Awoists in joining the Northerners to insist and persist on keeping Nigeria one at all cost and by all means!
It was all to spite Zik and his arrogant Igbos!

That Awo got carried away by such unfortunate sentiment is to be regretted by every clear thinking person.
A man of Awo's stature needed not succumb to such baseness powered in the background by lust for oil wealth!

In joining Gowon's cabinet, Awo marked his own anticlimax.
He therewith, pitted himself ideologically in sharp diametrical opposition to his famed and much storied stance on the unworkability and artificiality of the Nigerian Union!
History could have been kind to him if he stayed neutral,
or if he played on the same high moral ground taken by Wole Soyinka who was active in condemning the war as unjust, and calling on the international community to cease supply of weapons to both sides!
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Histrings08(m): 9:19pm On Apr 21, 2019
You just enlightened me more... Thank you.
Ugwuoke347:

He worked to give the best advantage available at his time to the nation of his heart: the Yoruba nation.
Such a practical man who had a clear vision of things even when his counterparts were waxing poetic about such utopic will-o-the-wisp as United States of Africa!
Imagine an African version of the Soviet Union being contemplated by some irresponsible idealists when African tribes and enclaves were ever at daggers-drawn!

It has been postulated that Awo played the ignominious role he played during the Biafran War as a form of payback to Zik and the Igbos for the role Zik's regime played in jailing him for treason. And of course, it is easy to imagine the dominant sentiment at the time. It was felt that Zik insisted on One Nigeria against proposals for deamalgamation so that he could perpetuate himself and his Igbo folks in socioeconomic dominance of a vast territory!
And when the tables were turned, he and his Igbo folks must be stopped by all means from running away from the reality of being dominated by others!
That was the mind-setting that drove Awo and Awoists in joining the Northerners to insist and persist on keeping Nigeria one at all cost and by all means!

That Awo got carried away by such unfortunate sentiment is to be regretted by every clear thinking person.
A man of Awo's stature needed not succumb to such baseness powered in the background by lust for oil wealth!

He therewith, pitted himself ideologically in sharp diametrical opposition to his famed and much storied stance on the unworkability and artificiality of the Nigerian Union!
or if he played on the same high moral ground taken by Wole Soyinka who was active in condemning the war as unjust, and calling on the international community to cease supply of weapons to both sides!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Ugwuoke347(m): 10:10pm On Apr 21, 2019
Histrings08:
You just enlightened me more... Thank you.

You are very most perfectly welcome.
We are here to reason together.
And to expand the frontiers of truth.

Thank you for being here, and for your time.
Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by bluke(m): 4:27am On Apr 22, 2019
potent5:
The aabokiis were key in the birth of this charade called a country; they will also be key in its dismemberment when they are satisfied with the senselessness of the entire idea.

nigeria was a lord lugard,s project.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by MetaPhysical: 5:07am On Apr 22, 2019
I encountered this question before and gave input. I will post it here again.

The trick is contained in the events between 1861 and 1914, a period of 53 years.

I dont have time to post the Treaties between England and the Coastal Kings, but the language of these treaties gave unlimited access and unfettered proxy powers to the invaders to act in their discretion of what is best practice to defend and protect our Kings and their domains.

The Treaties they fraudulently obtained at gun point from our Kings they took them as legal contracts binding on both sides. In some of them they said they were invited to defend and protect.

So in 1914 their action was taken in discretion of what is best for the peoples of Nigeria and will promote their well being....whether the people themselves saw it that way or not was pointless.

Also, the periods from about 1898 to 1917 was very turbulent in North.

In early1800 when Fulani sacked Hausa Sarkis from power and took over they killed many of them. The ones they did not kill they sent on exile. The exile camp was in Lokoja. Lokoja had been an historic but independent Yoruba settlement. The town absorbed the fleeing Hausa Sarkis and gave them a camp. Till today the camp is still in Lokoja.

Britain continued its attempt to subdue and secure Northern Nigeria from encroachment from French Colonial forces in the desert. The Fulani Emirs had put resistance against Britain. In about 1900 Britain launched an offensive that sacked Sultan of Sokoto and exiled him from the capital. Any town they toppled a ruler they set up a frontier force fully armed. Gradually they swept the towns killing or exiling the Emirs all way to Bauchi. The exiled Emirs were deported down to Lokoja to join deacendants of the rulers they sacked just about 100yrs earlier. So today in Lokoja you have Yoruba, Hausa, Fulani cohabiting the town. Yoruba own Lokoja but the other two have sizable camps and population.

Britain either installed new Emirs or allowed passage to the ones that surrendered to their power. So they now forced the new rulers to sign Treaties like was done with the Coastal Kings.

This total supremacy and suppression of North and South and the stoppage of French invasion of the territories emboldened them to act with impunity and decreed for us by default, acting as proxies for our interests.

So the signage of the Treaties of Protection became the defacto document of concession empowering them to do what they did in 1914. Its one of the greatest human rights violation as is many, trailing the footsteps of colonial powers, around the globe.

Is it possible to nullify the powers and authority of the document? Yes, it is possible. It will take people like Herbert Macauley to do so. We dont have legal authorities and force of principles like that any more.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by chemgee: 6:04am On Apr 22, 2019
Ugwuoke347:

Nigeria's problems are just caused by the blind ambition of the British to out do France and Germany..
so many British colonies are either fighting/fought a civil war, or have broken up... anyway, that's history. the question Right now is: should we manage the country as it is and find a solution, or do we stop/go back to the drawing boards, but this time no oyinbo man to tell us want to do

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by chemgee: 6:09am On Apr 22, 2019
MetaPhysical:
I encountered this question before and gave input. I will post it here again.

The trick is contained in the events between 1861 and 1914, a period of 53 years.

I dont have time to post the Treaties between England and the Coastal Kings, but the language of these treaties gave unlimited access and unfettered proxy powers to the invaders to act in their discretion of what is best practice to defend and protect our Kings and their domains.

The Treaties they fraudulently obtained at gun point from our Kings they took them as legal contracts binding on both sides. In some of them they said they were invited to defend and protect.

So in 1914 their action was taken in discretion of what is best for the peoples of Nigeria and will promote their well being....whether the people themselves saw it that way or not was pointless.

Also, the periods from about 1898 to 1917 was very turbulent in North.

In early1800 when Fulani sacked Hausa Sarkis from power and took over they killed many of them. The ones they did not kill they sent on exile. The exile camp was in Lokoja. Lokoja had been an historic but independent Yoruba settlement. The town absorbed the fleeing Hausa Sarkis and gave them a camp. Till today the camp is still in Lokoja.

Britain continued its attempt to subdue and secure Northern Nigeria from encroachment from French Colonial forces in the desert. The Fulani Emirs had put resistance against Britain. In about 1900 Britain launched an offensive that sacked Sultan of Sokoto and exiled him from the capital. Any town they toppled a ruler they set up a frontier force fully armed. Gradually they swept the towns killing or exiling the Emirs all way to Bauchi. The exiled Emirs were deported down to Lokoja to join deacendants of the rulers they sacked just about 100yrs earlier. So today in Lokoja you have Yoruba, Hausa, Fulani cohabiting the town. Yoruba own Lokoja but the other two have sizable camps and population.

Britain either installed new Emirs or allowed passage to the ones that surrendered to their power. So they now forced the new rulers to sign Treaties like was done with the Coastal Kings.

This total supremacy and suppression of North and South and the stoppage of French invasion of the territories emboldened them to act with impunity and decreed for us by default, acting as proxies for our interests.

So the signage of the Treaties of Protection became the defacto document of concession empowering them to do what they did in 1914. Its one of the greatest human rights violation as is many, trailing the footsteps of colonial powers, around the globe.

Is it possible to nullify the powers and authority of the document? Yes, it is possible. It will take people like Herbert Macauley to do so. We dont have legal authorities and force of principles like that any more.
Only when oil becomes the next coal our brains will reboot.. the reason Nigeria still stands is because of Niger Delta's oil money.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by Ugwuoke347(m): 6:45am On Apr 22, 2019
chemgee:

Nigeria's problems are just caused by the blind ambition of the British to out do France and Germany..
so many British colonies are either fighting/fought a civil war, or have broken up... anyway, that's history. the question Right now is: should we manage the country as it is and find a solution, or do we stop/go back to the drawing boards, but this time no oyinbo man to tell us want to do

That Nigeria ever came to be a state, you can blame on the British.
That Nigerians have failed to dismantle the colonial boundaries imposed on them by the imperialists by reorganizing their territories to coincide with their natural sociocultural boundaries you should blame on the Black Man's obtuseness and primitive wickedness!
Your political leaders have taken the place of the colonizers.
They are the oppressors of today!
Nigeria is their business empire.
They would do anything and everything to protect their business interest.
Re: Nigerians Who Signed Amalgamation Documents In 1914 by wirinet(m): 8:50am On Apr 22, 2019
chemgee:

Only when oil becomes the next coal our brains will reboot.. the reason Nigeria still stands is because of Niger Delta's oil money.

Forget oil. You guys seem obsessed with oil. Only the political elites benefits from oil, the ordinary Fukani, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Tivi, etc, man does not benefit of care about oil. It was only recently (with the anmesty) programme that some ordinary Niger delta youths benefited anything from oil sales.

The north cannot separate from Nigeria even if oil if found in the north because of;
1. Access to the sea. They will not want to be landlocked.
2. Climate Change; The desert is accelerating south, the lake Chad has dried out and their agricultural livelihood is threatened.

The igbos shouting separation will be the worse adversely affected in terms of separation.
They would need to FORCE the old eastern minorities to secede with them because if not;
1. They will be landlocked
2. The igbos have very little oil and most of the oil reside with minority tribes.
3. The igbos are also suffering serious environmental issues like erosion.
4. The core Igbo landmass is very tiny.

Igbos building a country with eastern minorities will only make the new country a mini Nigeria with only one major ethnic group. The minorities will be in a continuous struggle to avoid Igbo domination. This was the situation in the East Pre and even post independence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Buhari Meets Developers Of Lekki Deep Sea Port In Lagos (photos) / How Presidency Held Adeosun’s Resignation Letter For One Month / Miyetti Allah Sets Up Vigilante Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.