Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,131 members, 7,845,750 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

The Uk Is A One-city Country - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Uk Is A One-city Country (2174 Views)

The Uk Is A Trap. Don't Come Here To Study: / Coming To The Uk: Is It Easier To Come To Uk As A Spouse Than As A Student? / The UK Is Just Like Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by johnkent(m): 4:49pm On Mar 11, 2010
joxiri:

@ oyewolejos
am not sick by my own definition of mega cities LA does not fall into that category because it last a a proper transportation system if you have been to LA you will know what I am talking about

haha. FYI: oyewolejos lives outside of LA brotha.
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by joxiri: 5:13pm On Mar 11, 2010
fair enough if he does then he will know what i am saying is true
dont get me wrong LA is a lovely city if theres money i will say its probbly best place to live in the world
but I dont consider it a mega city like london chicago or NY in fact the smaller cities in UK have a better network than LA does
his post was very critical of the UK and completely flawed in my opinion hence why I have challenged it very vigorously
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by EloSela(f): 5:50pm On Mar 11, 2010
oyewolejos:

Guy check your facts before u just rush into conclusion.L.A has Metro bus and Rail network. Their website is www.metrolinktrains.com while the bus service website is www.metro.net
You are really ignorant of many things.A whole L.A won't have metro.Capital of the West Coast,Home of Hollywood,City of Angels. Do u think L.A is CaLabar or Uyo?
Next time please abstain yourself from such ignorant believe

First of all when you see a pink 'f' besides a user name it means you are communicating with a woman. tongue

What do you mean check my facts? I have been to LA three times and the public transportation system is CRAP! That is the only way to describe it. CRAP! During one the occasions when I was there I was unable to sort myself with a car and ended up depending on public transport. NEVER AGAIN. I spent at least 80% of that holiday waiting for a bus or walking until my legs were going to drop off. Even taxi's are barely in existance! LA is a great city but is a mega city, uh no!
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by joxiri: 5:53pm On Mar 11, 2010
well said elosela
thats the point i ve been ttrying to put across
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by Afam4eva(m): 6:03pm On Mar 11, 2010
EloSela:

First of all when you see a pink 'f' besides a user name it means you are communicating with a woman. tongue

What do you mean check my facts? I have been to LA three times and the public transportation system is CRAP! That is the only way to describe it. CRAP! During one the occasions when I was there I was unable to sort myself with a car and ended up depending on public transport. NEVER AGAIN. I spent at least 80% of that holiday waiting for a bus or walking until my legs were going to drop off. Even taxi's are barely in existance! LA is a great city but is a mega city, uh no!

joxiri:

well said elosela
  thats the point i ve been ttrying to put across

Ignoramos, let me bust your bubble. here's a list of the world's megacities. Tell me why Los Angeles is on the list. Even lagos that has almost nor rail system is listed. Pls educate yourselves.

1 Tokyo Japan Asia 34,000,000 0.60%
2 Seoul South Korea Asia 24,200,000 1.40%
2 Guangzhou China Asia 24,200,000 4.00%
4 Mexico City Mexico North America 23,400,000 2.00%
5 Delhi India Asia 23,200,000 4.60%
6 Mumbai (Bombay) India Asia 22,800,000 2.90%
7 New York City USA North America 22,200,000 0.30%
8 São Paulo Brazil South America 20,900,000 1.40%
9 Manila [21] Philippines Asia 19,600,000 2.50%
10 Shanghai China Asia 18,400,000 2.20%
11 Los Angeles USA North America 17,900,000 1.10%
12 Osaka Japan Asia 16,800,000 0.15%
13 Kolkata India Asia 16,300,000 2.00%
14 Karachi Pakistan Asia 16,200,000 4.90%
15 Jakarta Indonesia Asia 15,400,000 2.00%
16 Cairo Egypt Africa 15,200,000 2.60%
17 Moscow Russia Europe 13,600,000 0.20%[citation needed]
17 Beijing China Asia 13,600,000 2.70%
17 Dhaka Bangladesh Asia 13,600,000 4.10%
20 Buenos Aires Argentina South America 13,300,000 1.00%
21 Istanbul Turkey Europe & Asia 12,800,000 2.80%
21 Tehran Iran Asia 12,800,000 2.60%
23 Rio de Janeiro Brazil South America 12,600,000 1.00%
24 London United Kingdom Europe 12,400,000 0.70%
25 Lagos Nigeria Africa 11,800,000 3.20%
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by joxiri: 6:07pm On Mar 11, 2010
ah so now you are using population
then your whole thread is just silly because like previously said UK is a small country, if you knew your geography you would know this and not have even started the thread in the 1st place
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by Afam4eva(m): 6:16pm On Mar 11, 2010
joxiri:

ah so now you are using population
then your whole thread is just silly because like previously said UK is a small country, if you knew your geography you would know this and not have even started the thread in the 1st place

It's not about population. Those are the world's largest cities. I just thwarted your view that LA is not a Mega city.
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by joxiri: 6:19pm On Mar 11, 2010
no one is disputiing that if you are using geographical size now by using the word large then obviously the uk wont have a mega city the size of los angeles or others on the list
  so you should not have started the thread in the 1st place
so next time you need to think about the implications of what your thread says because there are so many clever people on nairaland wh would dispute such claims
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by Afam4eva(m): 6:20pm On Mar 11, 2010
joxiri:

no one is disputiing that if you are using geographical size now by using the word large then obviously the uk wont have amega city the size of los angeles or others on the list
  so you should not have started the thread in the 1st place

What's your point.
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by oyewolejos(m): 9:06pm On Mar 11, 2010
;d
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by oyewolejos(m): 9:11pm On Mar 11, 2010
EloSela:

I don't give a Bleep if u are a woman or man.No offense, Some people use to hide their real gender here on this forum so i do like to call everybody guy.
On the Taxi thingy i think that is your opinion.U have to call Taxi in L.A so u can't just stand in front of your house and stop a taxi when u are not in Warri.
Never Again should u come to L.A since it's not a mega city in your word.
I won't join issues with u on the London thing but for u to fabricate lies on the city i live in is forbidden.
I haven't been to London so i won't be able to talk on that but for L.A u can tell me nothing.
joxiri:

fair enough if he does then he will know what i am saying is true
  dont get me wrong LA is a lovely city if theres money i will say its probbly best place to live in the world
   but I dont consider it a mega city like london chicago or NY in fact the smaller cities in UK have a better network than LA does
his post was very critical of the UK and completely flawed in my opinion hence why I have challenged it very vigorously

All what u are saying about L.A is figment of your own imagination.No iota of truth is inside. It's totally arrant nonsense.
Is only a fool that doubt a proof say ,
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by EloSela(f): 9:44pm On Mar 11, 2010
oyewolejos:

I don't give a bleep if u are a woman or man.No offense, Some people use to hide their real gender here on this forum so i do like to call everybody guy.
On the Taxi thingy i think that is your opinion.U have to call Taxi in L.A so u can't just stand in front of your house and stop a taxi when u are not in Warri.
Never Again should u come to L.A since it's not a mega city in your word.

Yeah right, but I have told you that I am a woman.

I should not come to LA? And who are you? The Terminator?? lol. I will go to LA whenever I want to dear and I will express my opinion on it whenever I want to and see fit to do so. Hardly anyone uses a taxi in LA and so they are hard to come by. LA may be a megacity in terms of population but it isn't a fully functional metropolis like London. New York or Tokyo.

@Afam

You are right, I have just looked up the definition for megacities and it appears they are defined by the size of its population. True London is the only city in the Uk that has a big enough population which can define it as the countries only megacity but there are also plenty of other well developed functional cities in the UK. To say that London is the only city in the UK is a false statement.
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by joxiri: 12:23am On Mar 12, 2010
@ oyewolejos
I have been to LA hence why i say the transport system is poor the buses travel in one dirtection and u ve to cross the road to the other side to get another bus to ur destination
all them road is labrea, and westwood just explain how buses can only travel in 1 direction just on a straight line hardly ever turning
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by Afam4eva(m): 2:19pm On Mar 12, 2010
EloSela:

@Afam

You are right, I have just looked up the definition for megacities and it appears they are defined by the size of its population. True London is the only city in the Uk that has a big enough population which can define it as the countries only megacity but there are also plenty of other well developed functional cities in the UK. To say that London is the only city in the UK is a false statement.

Pls can you quote me where i made such statement. So, you did'nt even readthe post before arguing.
Re: The Uk Is A One-city Country by EloSela(f): 4:58pm On Mar 12, 2010
You may not have said it directly but you more or less implied so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Issuing Of Russian Study Visa In Nigeria / When Flying Becomes Irritating: My Experience With (nigerian) Arik Air / How Much Did You Save During Your Post Study Work Visa Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.