Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria (7621 Views)

LASDRI Trained Over 47,000 Drivers In One Year – Afusat Tiamiyu / Seven Most Common And Most Expensive Mistakes By Drivers In Car Maintenance / 10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by ConceptNva: 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2017
Young drivers are at a high risk of getting into accidents whether due to inexperience, lack of judgement, poor infrastructure or ignorance of traffic laws. In Nigeria, factors that contribute to crashes and collisions are a combination of bad roads, poor traffic signs and lack of education.

All in all, speeding was the number one cause of fatal roads accidents in 2016 followed by loss of control and dangerous driving. Here are some tips to help motorists drive better and keep everyone safe.

Obey Traffic Rules & Regulations and Drive Defensively

Nigeria is the most populous country on the African continent with a high percentage of its population driving. Hence, it is essential that as a young driver, you follow traffic laws and never assume that all road users know the rules. It is important to stay within the speed limits and avoid tricky maneuvers such as harsh braking, overtaking without a clean scan of the area or failure to use turn signals.

Take Road Conditions Seriously

It's common Knowledge that the roads in Nigeria are not the best. They are poorly maintained and degrade easily with just a few heavy downpours. Potholes are rampant and they can be a bit jarring for a new driver to experience. Don't drive too fast in areas with bad roads and be safe when trying to avoid potholes.

Maintain Your Vehicle

Tire burst, brake and mechanical failure are some of the causes of accidents in the country according to the Road Transport Data of 2017. These are preventable by keeping your car in a good shape. Make sure to service it regularly and before driving, do a visual inspection of tire pressure & depth and mirrors & windshields. Today’s cars are also smarter as they tell you when the next servicing is due or that your engine oil is leaking. In addition, cars can even be tracked remotely and in the future, self-driving vehicles might be the norm on the road.

Drive as Much As You Can and Sign up to Courses

Young drivers will only get experience with more practice, which is why you should not shy away from driving when you get the chance. You can also sign up for defensive driving courses such as the Driving Skills for Life.(DSLF)
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Olayinka4tyre(m): 5:48pm On Oct 11, 2017
Great advice
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by seuncyber(m): 6:48am On Oct 13, 2017
Op best rule in naija belive say every other driver are mad,is only u that is normal.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Ayo4251(m): 6:48am On Oct 13, 2017
We that do not know how to drive nko? undecided
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Prec1ous(m): 6:49am On Oct 13, 2017
fast life is fast death!

learn programming for free online
https://collegereap.com/places-to-learn-programming-online-for-free/
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by niqqaclaimz(m): 6:51am On Oct 13, 2017
Check this out
https://www.nairaland.com/4088478/Start Different Online Business and make more than $40 a day
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by fadasss: 6:51am On Oct 13, 2017
Ayo4251:
Driving school!!!
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Ezedon(m): 6:53am On Oct 13, 2017
Driving on Nigerian roads hmmm
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by princealexndre(m): 6:58am On Oct 13, 2017
And always be with money anytime you are going out.
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by SWORD419(m): 7:01am On Oct 13, 2017
lu
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by neweraomo: 7:10am On Oct 13, 2017
Makes sense ...

Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by bakynes(m): 7:48am On Oct 13, 2017
Lagos drivers need this advice the most.
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by kirchofff(m): 7:50am On Oct 13, 2017
Most drivers in Nigeria don't know driving rules.
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by faorex(m): 7:55am On Oct 13, 2017
when I started driving, my dad will always tell me..

Assume you are the only who is normal,all other drivers are probably insane, so you should be the one to behave yourself and not expecting other drivers to put you into consideration.

1 Like

Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Emeka71(m): 7:58am On Oct 13, 2017
kirchofff:
Most drivers in Nigeria don't know driving rules.
They think they are in a race when they get to the high-way.
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Fkhalifa(m): 8:08am On Oct 13, 2017
Assume other drivers are madt, so don't expect them to reason well.

1 Like

Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by KevinDein: 8:40am On Oct 13, 2017
bakynes:
Lagos drivers need this advice the most.
No we don't. We are the best drivers in the world cheesy
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by bakynes(m): 8:44am On Oct 13, 2017
KevinDein:

No we don't. We are the best drivers in the world cheesy
I am a Lagos driver as well I don't think we are the best drivers, we are just simply crazy drivers.

1 Like

Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Nddytex08(m): 10:02am On Oct 13, 2017
Am currently learning how to drive from my Dad. He always says that every other road users r insane n the only sane person is U. Drive carefully n observe well when hitting the road.

1 Like

Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by donqx: 11:43am On Oct 13, 2017
good
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by Chillinmasoul(m): 12:41pm On Oct 13, 2017
Thanks for the advice
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by UmecheMoses(m): 12:56pm On Oct 13, 2017
I won't lie... I get tempted to march 140 with my Mitsubishi Carisma 4 cylinder 16 valve... Old car you may say, but I love the weight when it's at that speed limit compared with Honda EOD.....
The ABS works well with only front brakes....
A part of me is so synchronised with the car.
There are times tho when I just keep to 80-100
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by piagetskinner(m): 1:05pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ayo4251:

I could teach u for a small fee
Re: 4 Safety Tips For Young Drivers In Nigeria by handsespen: 6:32am On Aug 01, 2018
An Assessment of Drive Education on Road Traffic Crashes in Gwagwalada Area Council

Road traffic crash is an event that produces injuries and/or property damage, it involves a motor vehicle in transport, and occur on a traffic way or while the vehicle is still in motion after running off the traffic way, (Bureau of Transport Statistics, 1999).

http://www.scharticles.com/drive-education-on-road-traffic-crashes/

(1) (Reply)

Massive Traffic Jam At Ejigbo-ikotun Axis / Mitsubishi Recalls 368,000 Vehicles As They Constitute Major Hazards / FRSC Generates N1.6bn From Fines In 10 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.