Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (549567 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Kelvin2024: 8:16pm On Feb 05
geee213:

Thanks for your message. Still in Nigeria, flight is feb 7 and my university is australia catholic university. I'm female by the way.

Thanks
congratulations dear. I’m also waiting for my visa to Australia catholic University. Please if you don’t mind, can I get your email so I could ask you some few questions that’s giving me concern
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Wrap46: 2:41am On Feb 06
Kelvin2024:
congratulations dear. I’m also waiting for my visa to Australia catholic University. Please if you don’t mind, can I get your email so I could ask you some few questions that’s giving me concern

Which campus ?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Kelvin2024: 3:10pm On Feb 06
Wrap46:

Which campus ?
Melbourne

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Richdee1(m): 6:11pm On Feb 06
Nostradamu:
5-10 minutes read.

This post is a breakdown of my arrival story from Nigeria, my MOTHERLAND, to Adelaide, my new home in Australia.

Note:
1. Events here are from my POV.

2. I am a first-time traveler.

3. Remember to take this information as something other than a living document; events stated here could have changed or discarded when you read it.

4. Nonetheless, you can use these instructions to guide your next journey. I'll include as much information as needed to help anyone with a similar situation.

Documents I prepared from Lagos, Nigeria:

1. My international passport.

2. Visa grant, printed one document containing 4 pages. (I made 3 extra sets of photocopies, which wasn't required, as I found out later, but I just wanted to be safe than sorry.)

3. Yellow Fever Vaccination Card. The officials at the point of entry into Australia asked me for it.

4. My Covid vaccination card. The officers didn't request it either in Nigeria or Australia.
Airline ticket

5. Receipt for extra legroom on the plane (entirely optional).

6. Receipt for my lounge in Doha (entirely optional).

Departure experience from MMIA (New Terminal)

We were told that Qatar Airways had relocated to the new terminal at the airport. So, that was where I eventually boarded.

My flight was scheduled to depart at 21:10 hrs, but I arrived 5 hours earlier at the airport. Leaving the house was a personal decision as Qatar only required me to be there 3 hours earlier.

Only travelers were allowed at this new terminal, so my brother and mum were told to stay outside. But one of the officers changed her mind and later said Mumsy could follow me.

Customs
The first people I met were officers of the Nigerian customs who asked me a few questions. I politely responded to all their inquiries, and they let me go without much hassle.

Staff of Qatar Airways
Qatar Airlines officers were the next to screen me. They weighed my luggage and tagged it. Me wey get sense pass federal government, I'd already bought a portable luggage scale at home.

With the scale, I ensured everything I packed was 2-3kg less than the airline's requirement. And because I arrived early, I was the first in line when boarding was announced.

Then, I went through the airline check-in, where they inspected my passport and a print-out of my e-ticket. They also re-weighed my bags and didn't give me plenty wahala because I met the weight requirements.

I did not make the mistake of packing any local food with me on this trip because I can't speak grammar. This decision saved me lots of headaches in MMIA and at Adelaide airport.

Immigration experience and rules to follow
Before I got to the immigration desk, I filled out a piece of paper with several questions (can't remember the name of that document again).

When I got to their desk, the screening was quite thorough.
- My passport and visa grant were reviewed

- The piece of paper I filled was checked

- All my items (bags, jacket, phones, etc) were scanned with a machine

- Then, there was a metal detector (i.e., magnetometer) that I had to walk through with my shoes off.

Omo, it was thorough.

As per the extortion that most travelers had experienced and complained about, it was very subtle. Only one mama immigration officer jokingly asked me to "bless" her. But I tipped the others that screened me out of my volition.

Nobody per se compelled me to give them anything, not even the customs official. I almost didn't believe I was at MMIA because the atmosphere was very professional.

For a moment, I almost attributed that experience to the new sheriff in town - Keyamo. But that's a discussion for another day.

Quick Tip: MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED WHILE ALL OF THESE EVENTS/INSPECTIONS ARE GOING ON.

Final Check-in
After scaling all these hurdles, the last lap of my journey was the last check before I boarded the plane.

My people, i no go lie for you, IT WAS EVERY LETTER OF THE WORD: SURREAL.

Like, "na me dey comot for Naija so?"; "Abi dem go announce say the flight has been canceled." ; "what if one DSS officer just con meet me say they 'have questions'?"

Just crazy things were going through my coconut head, and I didn't know why.

Omo!!!

Anyways, I was saying.

There was a big area where all the travelers were waiting for the boarding call. At this point, I still had over 2 hours to play around that part of the airport wing.

So, I went to eat Indomie noodles in one of the restaurants at a price that would buy two cartons.

But it's all good.

When it was time to board, the announcement was made, and the staff of Qatar Airways commenced the final check of all our hand luggage.

Then, we were ushered to our various seats by beautiful and very polite air hostesses.

The journey from MMIA Lagos to Doha International Airport took over 8 hours. Omo, I watch films tire; especially when the turbulence started.

The only thing that consoled me during that tense period was that I didn't watch ANY movie about plane crashes, and I increased the volume of the movies so much it was only the vibration of the plane I felt.

Don't blame me; local man never traveled before, especially at 39K feet in the air.

Here are the answers to the set of questions below:

* Stopover experience? When did you land at the airport?

We landed in Dohar at night, I can't remember the time now. But my stopover was for 14 hours, 55 minutes. Luckily, my uncle had purchased a lounge for me to rest. The payment lasted only six hours, which I renewed for $75 because I had about $900 cash. That ensured that I had 12 hours of access and spent the remaining 2 hours locating my boarding gate.
ABEG, QATAR AIRPORT IS BEAUTIFUL.

* How did you carry all that cash with you?
I only had $900, which I didn't declare because it was not up to $10K.

* Can you open a bank account while still in Naija?

I tried, but I could not because the banks I tried had changed their policies.

* Which State/suburb did you settle in and why?

I settled in Adelaide for two reasons: 1. my uncle lives there, and it is a regional area where my visa permits me to stay.

* Driving in Australia? How long can you use your Naija driving license before you get Aussie license?

According to the Department of Driving in SA, till it expires or you become a citizen. https://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/my-car-licence/international-drivers

* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighborhood, mortgage plans, proximity to work etc.

I have no idea about mortgages and the right neighborhood. Sorry! I am living with my uncle for the foreseeable future till I get my place.
However, my office is not far from where I live in Adelaide.

* How easy was it to settle in, with your kids? How did you go about finding the right schools for them? What is their school system like for toddlers (age 5 and below)?

I don't have children at the moment.

* Can a mother combine work and taking care of the kids?
I do not have any answer to this question at the moment.

* What culture shock have you experienced?

1. My boss addresses me as "mate". And during my final interview, he asked if I drink alcohol. Omo, I shook!!!

2. They obey traffic laws as if their lives depend on it.

3. It gets dark after 8 pm. I nearly had a panic attack the first time I experienced it.

4. The people are generally friendly, contrary to what I had read about from some posts on NL.

5. They don't joke with their road markings.

There are a few others I can't remember now.

* Tips on how to cloth and cope with the cold weather.

When I posted this message, I had just marked my 8th day in Adelaide, and it's been summer all through. I'm talking about 31-42 degree Celsius type of summer. E shock you ba? However, my uncle told me there's a type of underwear people wear mostly here during winter -"Long-john." He said people wear it before wearing everyday clothes, e.g., formal or official.

* Are there Nigerian food/restaurants etc? Are they very expensive?

Nah! None That I have heard about.

* Can one start a business (exportation, consultancy) in Australia?
Sorry, I cannot help with any valid answers in this regard.

* How much does your family survive on in a month?
My uncle still handles all my feeding and housing till I earn enough and move out. So, I really can only say a little in this area.

Stay tuned for more info as I experience them and pictures coming up.

Good day
Please how is their fees for international students
How much are we talking about and what are the requirements for applying
Are there cheap schools?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Wrap46: 9:50pm On Feb 06
Alrighty, we in Sydney campus. Anyone coming to Sydney and needs airport pick up should holla at your boy smiley
Kelvin2024:
Melbourne
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by beckini89: 4:34am On Feb 07
There are a lot of Nigerians in South Australia. What part of South Australia are you in?
lauv23:
Happy New year to everyone, please I just moved to South Australia. Infact it feels like I am in the middle of no where and forgotten. Have not seen any Nigerian, have met few people from other African countries. Please can someone here help with a group I can join atleast to help me integrate and possibly get other information.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by geee213: 6:01pm On Feb 09
Kelvin2024:

niyiogunsola213@gmail.com and sorry for the late reply.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nostradamu(m): 11:11pm On Feb 10
Richdee1:

Good day
Please how is their fees for international students
How much are we talking about and what are the requirements for applying
Are there cheap schools?

Hi,

Um, I am a skilled migrant. I am currently working as a Strata Manager, so I may not be the best source to give you up-to-date info regarding that.

Suggestion: put that query into Google and add nairaland to it e.g. fees for international students australia nairaland

The results should exhume some interesting pages related to your search.

Hope that helps?

Best!

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Kelvin2024: 7:33pm On Feb 11
geee213:

niyiogunsola213@gmail.com and sorry for the late reply.
Thank you dear, I have sent u a mail
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by chigora: 8:07pm On Feb 11
Please can you explain in details how one can go about the skilled migration.
Thank you.
Nostradamu:

Hi,

Um, I am a skilled migrant. I am currently working as a Strata Manager, so I may not be the best source to give you up-to-date info regarding that.

Suggestion: put that query into Google and add nairaland to it e.g. fees for international students australia nairaland

The results should exhume some interesting pages related to your search.

Hope that helps?

Best!

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nostradamu(m): 12:53pm On Feb 14
chigora:
Please can you explain in details how one can go about the skilled migration.
Thank you.

I don't understand what you mean here "go about the skilled migration", but Google might be a very good place to start. However, I'd recommend this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3053069/general-guide-australian-permanent-resident

It's a long one, but that's where I started from - the first page.

Cheers!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 6:15am On Feb 19
wow.

so you need to do 2 Assessments

1. For Migration purpose until you get the visa
2. when you get to aussie, another to get a job

Nigeria's 5 year Engineering Degree program is a 3 year equivalent diloma program in Australia.

Chai...black man from motherland dey suffer shaaaa.

*rant over*
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by stifo2012: 7:37am On Feb 19
Your information about Nigeria's 5 year engineering degree program been equal to a diploma in Australia is not true.

Please get your facts right so as not to confuse others.

blackbriar:
wow.

Nigeria's 5 year Engineering Degree program is a 3 year equivalent diloma program in Australia.

*rant over*
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 9:14am On Feb 19
stifo2012:
Your information about Nigeria's 5 year engineering degree program been equal to a diploma in Australia is not true.

Please get your facts right so as not to confuse others.

This is not me spekaing but Engineers Australia.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 2:34pm On Feb 19
blackbriar:

This is not me spekaing but Engineers Australia.

When did Engineers Australia tell you this? Can you share the link?

And you don't need two assessments.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 2:50pm On Feb 19
bellong:

When did Engineers Australia tell you this? Can you share the link?

And you don't need two assessments.

The whole Sydney and Washignton Accord debacle.

Then some one goes,, ohhh now you are in australia, all you need do is enrol for a course , then this will make your program be quiavlent to the washington accord ( 4 years degre program) ..etc . i think you get the point.

They do not tell you the huge cost implications of enroling in another program.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 3:14am On Feb 20
blackbriar:

The whole Sydney and Washignton Accord debacle.

Then some one goes,, ohhh now you are in australia, all you need do is enrol for a course , then this will make your program be quiavlent to the washington accord ( 4 years degre program) ..etc . i think you get the point.

They do not tell you the huge cost implications of enroling in another program.

I reckon this is peculiar to you. A lot of engineers I know didn't have to upgrade with any programs before getting a job.

Of course, getting the first job may be challenging and it is not peculiar to engineers.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fajimytee: 1:02am On Feb 23
Hi Guys,

I am temporary resident in Australia (482) VISA and looking to get a visiting visa for my parent.
i have checked homeaffairs on possible visas for them. There is the Tourist VISA (off-shore applicant) and Family sponsorship VISA stream.

Would any one be able to give me a guide on the best route to take, cos i noted the Family Sponsorship seems to be only applicable to either PR or citizens while the tourist stream does not incorporate me sponsoring the entire trip and living arrangement.

Comments from temporary/permanent residents or citizens who has successful gotten a visiting visa for parents while still a temporary visa will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 9:12am On Feb 23
fajimytee:
Hi Guys,

I am temporary resident in Australia (482) VISA and looking to get a visiting visa for my parent.
i have checked homeaffairs on possible visas for them. There is the Tourist VISA (off-shore applicant) and Family sponsorship VISA stream.

Would any one be able to give me a guide on the best route to take, cos i noted the Family Sponsorship seems to be only applicable to either PR or citizens while the tourist stream does not incorporate me sponsoring the entire trip and living arrangement.

Comments from temporary/permanent residents or citizens who has successful gotten a visiting visa for parents while still a temporary visa will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.
Subclass 600 (apply outside Australia) since the applicant is offshore, there will be a section to upload supporting documents after payment.

Make sure your application is very tight as there's high rate of visitor's visa rejection lately.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fajimytee: 10:33pm On Feb 23
bligs:

Subclass 600 (apply outside Australia) since the applicant is offshore, there will be a section to upload supporting documents after payment.

Make sure your application is very tight as there's high rate of visitor's visa rejection lately.

Thanks for the response.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mcslize: 1:24am On Feb 24
blackbriar:
wow.

*rant over*

Nigerian 5-year Engineering degree is not equivalent to Australia diploma, it's equivalent to Australian Bachelor's degree. Please take note.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 2:45am On Feb 24
Mcslize:

Nigerian 5-year Engineering degree is not equivalent to Australia diploma, it's equivalent to Australian Bachelor's degree. Please take note.

not me.

Engineer's Australia.
Nigeria is not a full signatory of Washington Accord.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 4:18am On Feb 24
blackbriar:

not me.

Engineer's Australia.
Nigeria is not a full signatory of Washington Accord.
If you are referring to Skill Assessment from EA then your are mixing it up,
You can actually assess with EA with an Engineering degree of 5years duration from Nigeria through CDR path way.

I used my naija degree for EA assessment.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 4:45am On Feb 24
bligs:

If you are referring to Skill Assessment from EA then your are mixing it up,
You can actually assess with EA with an Engineering degree of 5years duration from Nigeria through CDR path way.

I used my naija degree for EA assessment.

I also used my Niaja Engoneering degree for EA assessment.

I never said you could not assess your Nigerian Engineering degree of 5years duration from Nigeria through CDR path way.

So what was your assesment result from EA?
Please kindly care to share?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 6:03am On Feb 24
blackbriar:

I also used my Niaja Engoneering degree for EA assessment.

I never said you could not assess your Nigerian Engineering degree of 5years duration from Nigeria through CDR path way.

So what was your assesment result from EA?
Please kindly care to share?

Equivalent to Australian degree and it fetches me 15points for Skill Migration point.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 6:07am On Feb 24
bligs:

Equivalent to Australian degree and it fetches me 15points for Skill Migration point.

Yes It is equivalent to an australain Degree
But what Australian Equivalent Degree on the AQF scale?
I am asking about your ANSZCO skill level from Engineers Australia?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 6:13am On Feb 24
blackbriar:

Yes It is equivalent to an australain Degree
But what Australian Equivalent Degree on the AQF scale?
I am asking about your ANSZCO skill level from Engineers Australia?
Skill level 1

AQF Level: Bachelor degree.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 8:16am On Feb 24
bligs:

Skill level 1

AQF Level: Bachelor degree.

Skill level 1
Professional Engineer?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 8:28am On Feb 24
blackbriar:

Skill level 1
Professional Engineer?
Mechanical Engineer.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 8:32am On Feb 24
bligs:

Mechanical Engineer.

No i meant Engineers Australia Assessmnet of your ocuupation
1. Anzsco Skill Level: Skill Level 1.
2. Occupation: ?
3. Occupational Classification: ?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 9:07am On Feb 24
blackbriar:

No i meant Engineers Australia Assessmnet of your ocuupation
1. Anzsco Skill Level: Skill Level 1.
2. Occupation: ?
3. Occupational Classification: ?

1. Skill Level 1
2. Mechanical Engineer
3. Professional Engineer
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by blackbriar: 9:12am On Feb 24
bligs:

1. Skill Level 1
2. Mechanical Engineer
3. Professional Engineer

Thanks for your kind consideration and understaning for your replies.

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.