Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,108 members, 7,849,459 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:58 PM

Dividing Anambra Through Zoning System. The Unconstitutional Political Principl - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dividing Anambra Through Zoning System. The Unconstitutional Political Principl (358 Views)

2023: Igbo Youths Reply El-rufai On The Abolition Of Zoning System / Why Jonathan Is Responsible For Dividing Nigeria Not Buhari - Keyamo / Amaechi Responsible For Dividing APC - Magnus Abe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dividing Anambra Through Zoning System. The Unconstitutional Political Principl by Anstalk(f): 1:14pm On Oct 10, 2017
DIVIDING ANAMBRA THROUGH ZONING SYSTEM.

The unconstitutional political principle call zoning

By:
I A Muoneme Esq

In 2013 when prominent Anambrarians like Prof Chukwuma Soludo CFR, Chief Patrick Chidolue, Dr. Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah, Prince Chinedu Idigo, Godwin Chukwunenye Ezeemo etc indicated interest to contest for Anambra Guber election, the then fmr Gov Peter Obi started the political hymn song of "Zoning" in Anambra base on the principle of imagination of equity and justice thereby succeeding in dividing Anambra like never before.

In Anambra I knew before the 2nd term of Peter Obi, there is nothing like someone is from Anambra North, Anambra South or Anambra Central. But right now the political assessment of anyone in Anambra is based on the zone one comes from. Is he from South or North or Central.

This will be used to determine your political loyalty, measurement and participation.

Can one classify this as a just political power play?

It is of common fact that the grand father of zoning in Anambra is fmr Gov Peter Obi with utmost sense of humility and respect to him anyway.
I hold Peter Obi to high esteem as a man who performed very well as a Governor but totally disagree with him on his politics of divide and rule. He should accept the fact that his style of politics is one of the major factor of political setback Anambra is being plunged into now.

Haven introduced Zoning and had a political fall out with the current Governor due to political mistakes and differences best known to them. Realizing that his politics of divide and rule will hunt him back, he swiftly made a U turn, telling us that his current candidate will stay for a term and go to give a breathing space to the south according to his divide and rule reasoning. What a political selfish reasoning! Caused by zoning!

However as I said earlier on my previous write up that is only a kindergarten political analyst will believe that imaginative statement.

Power is so sweet that people like Rochas told Ndi IMO this in 2011, likewise President Goodluck Jonathan to Nigerians.

Politics in Anambra should be measured on the yardstick of political performance through governance and not about which zone one is from and that.

Zoning has no constitutional place in our constitution and it is a tool which have succeeded in dividing and destroying the fabrics of our nation in Nigeria as one state thereby introducing leadership mediocrity in Nigeria. The same thing is about to happen in Anambra currently.

*Fmr Gov Donald Duke* said this morning on Channels Tv anchored by Maope Ogun on the issue of zoning:

“I have never subjected myself to zoning, when I ran for Governor I was not afforded zoning, everybody and everyone was able to run in Cross River.”
He further maintained that, “Besides its my constitutional right to run, you can’t zone my right, I think it’s unconstitutional to zone and besides like I said to you I was born a Nigerian, I wasn’t born an Easterner or Westerner, I was born after Independence. So my outlook is Nigerian.”Concluding, Mr. Donald said Nigeria was in dire straits and should jettison zoning and go for the best.

On this note, i rather vote the *BEST* candidate, I rather vote for Willie Obiano with my Voter's card when I'm convinced that he truly worked or Vote Godwin Ezeemo considering his investment and being manager of people which will serve as a yardstick to give him benefit of doubt or Vote Osita Chidoka considering his achievements as Road safety Marshall and Aviation Minister. I will also consider Oseloka Obaze judging his person and human friendly nature and other things. The same apply to Tony Nwoye.
But telling us to vote a candidate due to he is a northerner or Southerner or because it is our turn is like telling us to go down to politics of mediocrity smokescreen with equity and justice.

Considering the words of Donald Duke, I have this to say, I am an Anambra man before the thinking of being a southern Anambra.

Vote your candidate about the chances of what he has to offer the state and not on the principle of zoning. We should go for the best and jettison zoning.

Dalukwanu.

http://anstalk.com/dividing-anambra-zoning-system-unconstitutional-political-principle-call-zoning/

Lalasticlala

Re: Dividing Anambra Through Zoning System. The Unconstitutional Political Principl by Cuche: 2:04pm On Oct 10, 2017
I am in total support of Zoning. I will not vote anybody that is not from Anambra North.
Zoning is not in the Nigerian constitution, It is a gentleman agreement within political parties. Anambra North has 4 years remaining to complete their turn, I doubt if any new guy like Obaze or Nwoye will keep to it, this is one of the reasons people from South zone who can't wait for their 8 years which begins in 4 years time to come, may not want a new man. It is obvious Mr Obi has hatched a scheme which is now working against him and his anointed candidate, I don't believe Mr Obaze will rule for only 4 years, It is most unlikely.

Whether the man elected (selected) from the preferred zone delivers or not shouldn't be our concern. All we should care is that Zone A or Zone B has its 8 years share at the top, at the end the zone steers clear for others.
Besides, a leader including Gen Buhari, is programmed to succeed if the necessary support, good advice and goodwill is accorded from all the zones. Any politician promoting the idea that Saints can come from only an area and continue to rule a people as diverse as we are, is a crook one should be wary of. No zone should be neglected not only in Anambra but in all elective positions in Africa at least for now.

Zoning is the best solution to cries of marginalization. Mr Muoneme Esq. should please tell his towns man Chief Osita Chidoka to wait for the turn of Anambra Central. I don't care about the ulterior motive Mr Obi had with the introduction of zoning, Anambra and Nigeria is not yet ripe for the system where only the politically privileged zone rules for eternity. In Town Unions, zoning of President- General helps greatly in giving a sense of belonging to all.

(1) (Reply)

An Igbo Man Can Never Be Nigeria's President - Junaid Mohammed / Northern Pdp Leaders Slam Fayose, Insist On Sanctity Of Zoning / $5.5 Billion Loan: Buhari Is Mortgaging Our Children’s Future- PDP Says – God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.