Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,679 members, 7,831,106 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. (757 Views)

The Rising Wave Of Event Photobooth Trends In Germany / Gov. Obiano Addresses Ndi Anambra On The Second Wave Of The Covid-19 Pandemic / Why Has SEUN Refuse To Curb TRIBALISM On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by BamBella(m): 3:32am On Oct 11, 2017
Good day fellow nairalanders!

Firstly, let me start by commending Seun Osewa for his brilliant idea in creating this platform.

As we all know, Nairaland since its inception as an online public forum has created an opportunity and a level ground for both the young and old, rich and poor irrespective of their background, religious and political affiliation to air their views on matters bothering on on our personal affairs and general welfare as a nation. So far, I must say it has achieved its purpose by helping to bring about oneness amongst Nigerians.

On the contrary, I think Nairaland is gradually losing its relevance as of recent. I've carefully observed a saddening development amongst some members of this great forum which is what I want to talk about, it is about the issue of TRIBALISM. I think I do not necessarily need to stress or emphasise what tribalism is as most of us here are quite conversant with the word. This issue of tribalism has so much eaten deep into some members of this forum that they cannot reason and see beyond their nose.

Yesterday two threads made it to the front-page, one was about a Nigerian who was caught while attempting to rob an apartment in India and the other was about another Nigerian who was killed extrajudicially in Johannesburg, South Africa.

A video emerged of the Nigerian who was caught while attempting to rob an apartment in India, in the video the Nigerian was seen tied to a light pole and gruesomely beaten with sticks until he became unconscious and at the point of death. As usual, one would expect every right and sane citizen of Nigeria to condemn the act as his captors could have simply handed him over to the police. Rather than condemn the act, a microscopic few decided to take it upon themselves and used the opportunity to engage in a tribal war and call each other names like Igbos, afonjas and so on leaving the real issue unaddressed. Same thing happened in the case of the other Nigerian killed in South Africa, instead of condemning the SA police, some members of this forum were busy trying to pin the victim to a particular tribe of this country and projecting them in bad light. To add pepper to injury, the youths who are supposedly the leaders of tomorrow are the ones championing the course. Such a pity cry

Situations like this leaves one to wonder why our leaders don't take us serious in this country, when all we do is fight ourselves and call each other names instead of holding our leaders accountable for their gross incompetencies and inactions. This behavior of ours will not take us anywhere, I think it is high time we all look past our religious beliefs and ethnic differences and come to live together as one Nigerians, I also think it is high time Seun and the other moderators of this forum had done something about this issue bedevilling us that if left unattended could hamper the unity of this great country.

We all should remember that there can be no development where there is little or no peace and there can be no peace where there's a high level of intolerance for one another. Nigeria is ours to build.

God bless Nairaland,
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

PS: I'm not much of a writer so pardon my errors.

Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44, freiburger, r231.
Lalasticlala, Seun and Mynd44...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by ebukahandsome(m): 5:11am On Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for this sir, this nonesense really has to stop. i have thought of this for a very long time and found out that even the mods are the co supporters (am afraid) , if not, words like afonjas, Igbos, skull miners, developer, NCAN and other offensive words against other tribes would have been abolished and be censord or rather monitored with penalty for the offenders
How can aclaimed leaders of tommorrow be fighting and hating each other just because of old men who have held us ransome for more than 50years. If we continue like this, then their is no need for unity . We dont even care for each other again. any sad news we see on front page, we rush in just to Check names and fool on and still we would be decieving ourselves that our unity is unegotiable.. . Hahahaha.
Wake up family, we need to be one and help our country because, if we continue like this, our nation will still be like this in the next century.these old men needs to acknowledge our relivance but not with the stupidity we display online. think before you comment.
Quote me wrong and you will be thrown overboard

2 Likes

Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by LionInBoxOffice(m): 5:57am On Oct 11, 2017
We all have to accept we're humans regardless or colour, tribe, whatever! We're wonderful and limitless when united. We need to find a way to live in peace. #NoToTribalism.
Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by BamBella(m): 9:15am On Oct 11, 2017
ebukahandsome:
Thanks for this sir, this nonesense really has to stop. i have thought of this for a very long time and found out that even the mods are the co supporters (am afraid) , if not, words like afonjas, Igbos, skull miners, developer, NCAN and other offensive words against other tribes would have been abolished and be censord or rather monitored with penalty for the offenders
How can aclaimed leaders of tommorrow be fighting and hating each other just because of old men who have held us ransome for more than 50years. If we continue like this, then their is no need for unity . We dont even care for each other again. any sad news we see on front page, we rush in just to Check names and fool on and still we would be decieving ourselves that our unity is unegotiable.. . Hahahaha.
Wake up family, we need to be one and help our country because, if we continue like this, our nation will still be like this in the next century.these old men needs to acknowledge our relivance but not with the stupidity we display online. think before you comment.
Quote me wrong and you will be thrown overboard

It is saddening sir, I wish Seun will do something about it. Let every member of this forum that engages in such activity be handed a life ban, at least that will go a long way in curbing the menace. We all must come together and collectively do something about it otherwise it may consume us someday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by BamBella(m): 9:19am On Oct 11, 2017
Seun
Lalasticlala
Freiburger
r231

Please help move this to the front-page to get better contributions.

Thanks!
Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by BamBella(m): 7:31am On Nov 18, 2017
Seun lalasticlala freiburger. Please do the needful.
Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by Obainoneandonly(m): 5:36pm On Nov 18, 2017
i think they should start banning people,to serve as a deterrence
Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by BamBella(m): 7:02pm On Dec 05, 2017
Lalasticla
Seun
Finestboi
Re: Rising Wave Of Tribalism On Nairaland. by BamBella(m): 11:23am On Jul 10, 2018
Freiburger, r231.

This issue has got to stop. It's sickening! angry

(1) (Reply)

I'm In Need Of A Photographer / How Do I Get My Net Monthly Pay / Before You Make That New Year Resolution - By Henry Ibeleme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.