Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,266 members, 7,815,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Depression - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Depression (2258 Views)

Depression: An Important Message. / The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Depression by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 19, 2007
Hi guys.

I wonder if you guys can help me out. Im feeling real depressed. I dont know how to cope.

I have spoken to my parents about it and they have helped me out. I have gone to see a shrink here in naija and everything. The thing is that it keeps coming back. I am feeling it bad now and dont feel like doing anything going to work, seeing friends, getting out of bed is even a task for me and I dont want to keep worrying my parents and friends around me. Im 23 and feel like a baby when I should be out making decisions and being a man.

Im not sure how to help myself now and just want to find a way out of this dark maze that leads nowhere.
Re: Depression by mayorking(m): 1:37pm On Feb 19, 2007
Hi Chatman,
What you are experiencing is a very common illlness both in Nigeria and other parts of tyhe world.But you must be careful that you distinguish normal depression that all of us go through when we are berieved,fail or have any other tragedy.
In the case of depression that is pathological you discover that apart from the low mood, you also have low energy(weakness,loss of strenght,weakness)and loss of interest in previous enjoyable activities.You may have poor sleep,lack of concentration,reduceed self esteem,hopelessness or worthlessness.There are other symptoms.
I advise you to see a psychiatrist.If you are in Lagos you may go to Yaba Psychiatric Hospital.
What drugs are you on now since you say you have seen a shrink.Otherwise you may take an antidepressant like tab Amitriptilline 75mg in the night.
Let me know how you are doing after 2wks!
Re: Depression by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 19, 2007
Im on Citalopram 10 milligrams.

Yes i feel the other symptons you describe a combination of which is not very nice at all. I will try to see my doctor again, I had an appointment last week but i wasnt up to it so didnt go. I guess I will try and rebook.
Re: Depression by cuteass1(f): 5:22pm On Feb 20, 2007
My heart really goes out to you, and i really wished there was something i could say to make it better, but i'm not good when it comes to matters of depression since i've never witnessed it. It has always been a topic i see on tele and the doctors/psycs advice you to go for theraphy, a young guy like you who is yet to experience life dosen't deserve that, but if it helps i'll put you in prayers cos at the end of the day God is the only one that can relieve you of your burden and sweep away your depression.
Do take care, it shall be well.

*sends a hug in the air* smiley
Re: Depression by doubletree(f): 2:16pm On Feb 21, 2007
you need to increase your dose of citalopram.

do not adjust the dose yourself.

see your doctor/psychiatrist for regular reviews he/she will adjust your dose as recquired.
Re: Depression by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 22, 2007
Mayor king, Cuteass and double tree.
thanks for your advice and replying. Im gonna call my doctor soon to book another appointment.
Your words meant a lot to me.

You guys have a nice day.
Re: Depression by bigbumper(f): 11:55pm On Apr 29, 2007
There are a few websites about depression that could be of help to you. Having therapy might be more beneficial to you rather than going down the drugs route to avert dependancy. If you go through the numerous forums on depression, you would notice the high trend of a lot of people on medication whom are finding it hard to come off the drugs.
Re: Depression by dollyp1cute(f): 11:00am On May 10, 2007
Whatever happened to you Chatman.

Try to be around people as much as possible, you will have to force yourself.
Go out especially in the sun even if you don't feel like
Browse nairaland, there are some threads that will make you laugh so much, laughter releases endorphines which helps to lift depression.
Apparently exercise does as well (i am no fan of that one).
Keep a diary to write your feelings.
Keep participating on forumns like this, it helps to reduce depression.

I observe there was only a few response to the thread
Our society is rather quiet about things like this because of the stigma attached to it but there are so many out there suffering and smiling.

Chatman you are not alone.
Re: Depression by fabiola7386: 6:40am On Feb 17, 2010
Depression can be cured if it is analyzed and find out what is the cause of it.
Moreover many anti depression treatments are there to cure it.

Drug Rehab
Re: Depression by Sissy3(f): 6:04am On Feb 18, 2010
i wonda how hes doing now
Re: Depression by whiteroses(f): 12:16am On Feb 19, 2010
know and change isnt that what they say, know why and do things to change it, and switch your fone on! letyour friends take you out and ill be praying for you lool
Re: Depression by Nobody: 1:54am On Feb 20, 2010
~Sissy~:

i wonda how hes doing now

Yea, me too.
Re: Depression by iice(f): 11:31am On Feb 21, 2010
Hopefully making progress
Re: Depression by Nobody: 5:03am On Feb 23, 2010
Was once in posters shoes and Thank God i found my way out of it even though it affected me while i was in uni. The best way out is to look for friend he can talk to and keep company with. The opposite sex would be better. Drugs will never help, it will only worsen the situation and worse still when he's dependent on it.
I really feel you chatman cos i've been there, so don't look for a drastic solution cos the healing process is gradual and takes time,
Re: Depression by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 25, 2010
chatman:

Hi guys.

I wonder if you guys can help me out. Im feeling real depressed. I dont know how to cope.

I have spoken to my parents about it and they have helped me out. I have gone to see a shrink here in naija and everything. The thing is that it keeps coming back. I am feeling it bad now and dont feel like doing anything going to work, seeing friends, getting out of bed is even a task for me and I dont want to keep worrying my parents and friends around me. Im 23 and feel like a baby when I should be out making decisions and being a man.

Im not sure how to help myself now and just want to find a way out of this dark maze that leads nowhere.

[b]Dearest chatman, I understand you sooo much. At times I feel so depressed I become angry with the world and develop MASSIVE headaches. I used to smile alot as a child up until my 7th Grade year in public school when my life changed, september 11th happened (money was rationed), lost friends and my step father come to live with us from Jamaica (not used to a male figure). Since then I've been bitter, angry, and even cry at night for no reason at all. But I realise that when I pray, when I think positive, listen to music and reflect on what I can do to make my life easier I feel much better  grin The feelings come back occassionally as expected but each time I know how to maintain. I've contemplated suicide many a times, and become a complete sloth. I am a girl who loves to shop and hates bills (or changes of any kind) so when I cannot live according to how I want I become ANGRY. I'd eat myself out of shape, gripe, moan and groan, heck I've even cursed GOD!! and each time my mom will tell me, "YOU are killing YOU, YOU make life harder than it needs to be. Call on God, hug yourself and count your blessings", it will work Chat. I'm sorry to hear that. Life itself is an enigma but you have to be patient and think wisely to get through it, I'm learning.  wink. It took recent the death of my biological father (in November of 2009) who too aparently worried alot, suffered migraines and died from excessive stress, to wake me up! This isn't to be taken lightly. Pray sweetheart. Better must come. [/b]
Re: Depression by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 17, 2010
Dear friends,
Ive been fine and working.I went of meds for about a year and struggled but was fine till now seems im having a relapse. Ive realised that this thing keeps going and coming. ive started seeing a psychiatrist again to try to get to the root of the illness cause i dont think the medicaiton will cure it.

thanks for checking on me and for the prayers.
Re: Depression by dominique(f): 3:25pm On Jul 17, 2010
thanks for the update. it's best you decided to stay away from the medications too.
try and think positive at all times, the lord is your strength smiley.
Re: Depression by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 18, 2010
hey! chatman
hw r u nw? i really hope u r coping well.youths of dis generation r really sufferin from this problm of depression due to one problm or d oda.i am going thru dat d same problm. wot i do to help myself is to go to my best friend who totally undastnds.she tries to cheer me up. chat dear,try to get a gud friend if u dnt have,good friends r beta dan drugs,blive me!its nt easy but we hav to live our life d best way we can,right?
takia baby, life is too short 4 depression
Re: Depression by bigbumper(f): 3:55pm On Aug 02, 2010
Hey, we are still rooting for you. severe depression i.e. the black dog really never goes away, you just have you to make sure it doesn't get on top of you and get you down. You could also ask your docs to change your medication and we will keep praying for you.
Re: Depression by omnislife(m): 12:56am On Aug 06, 2010
From the symptoms i've seen so far i would say the poster is experiencing a type of depression known as organic or endogenous depression.It's caused by a chemical change in the body or brain.It can be caused by a lack of the mineral LITHIUM and other brain chemicals, such as
serotonin and norepinephrine(responsible for transmission of nerve impulses between neurons, that affect mood and are often lacking in depressed people.
SUGGESTED TREATMENT:It is important to leave behind negative thoughts of powerlessness,failure and sadness.They create negative conditions that impede finding any possible solutions to problems.He should strive to see things in a positive way and help solve problems.It is important to accept what you cannot change and begin to construct a new future.
1)Activity and Exercise: The depressive mood can be overcome by activity. Those who are depressive will forget their misery by doing something.He should turn away from himself and consider others.The pleasure of achievement overcomes the distress of misery.Exercise also plays an important role in the treatment of depression. It not only keeps the body physically and mentally fit but also provides recreation and mental relaxation. It is nature’s best tranquiliser.
2)Diet: Diet has a profound effect on the mental health of a person. Even a single nutritional deficiency can cause depression in susceptible people. I
recommend eating foods rich in B vitamins(to build up brain chemicals) e.g whole grains, green vegetables, eggs and fish.Your diet should completely exclude tea, coffee, alcohol,chocolate and cola, all white flour products,sugar, food colourings, chemical additives and white rice.

2 Likes

Re: Depression by toaspromo(m): 10:11pm On Aug 09, 2010
this a long term stress that is why you are depressed take aloe vera drink  and add honey to your nutritional intakes on adaily basis or you can call me for more assistance on 08098780059 or mail me on nutritionaltoas@gmail.com
Re: Depression by anz0002: 10:32am On Apr 11, 2012
One of the biggest issues with depressions is that it leads the people suffering from it to make wrong decisions. At times those suffering from it tend to live a solitary life and at times it can be one of the biggest suicidal reasons. Therefore it is better to shar your feeling with your near ones. It can help you a lot in coping up with depression.

Re: Depression by Nobody: 4:55am On Sep 18, 2015
I'm here if you ever wanna talk smiley your not alone, what you need is people that love n support you around. I wish I was in Naija, would have kept you company.

(1) (Reply)

How Long Should Be Spent In The Bathroom? / Eye Twitching? Why It Happens & How To Make It Stop / Using Coconut Oil Made Me Look 10 Years Younger And Healthier (amazing Secrete)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.