Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,284 members, 7,954,120 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:40 PM

Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. (914 Views)

Nigeria Air: 11 Things You Should Know About The New National Carrier / The Proposed Oshodi-Abule Egba BRT Route: 11 Things To Know (PHOTOS) / See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by Baldg: 10:24am On Oct 12, 2017
Having read this https://www.nairaland.com/4104783/see-eleven-11-things-experience,
I realised it contained half truths and some fabrications.
Having stayed in more than 18 states of the federation, I have learnt to appreciate the way of life of the people I met at each point in time.
From Enugu to Benue to Plateau to Cross River.
Here are some of the things about Makurdi I experienced and know.
1, Well structured Layouts.
Makurdi should be applauded for having a well structured layouts. Its town planners really did well to ensure that houses and streets are well defined and arranged no matter what. From Wadata to High-Level to Northbank.

2, Indigenes are receptive.
The indigenes are well receptive on finding out you are a visitor, with most willing to help out. They love it especially when you are lively and fun to be with. Here, I made friends with many, and had reasons to blend into their cultures.

3, Forget the Stereotypes.
You'll hear of how the Tivs hate the Idomas and how the Igedes are the slaves of one tribe, but forget these stereotypes and enjoy the people.

4, Benue has beautiful ladies and guys.
If you're in search of both native, gorgeous and sophisticated beauty, you will get tired of seeing. They are not in short supply of naturally dark skinned, Fair and smooth toned ladies.
The beard gang guys full here too. Just be a smooth talker, and you're good to go. cool.

5, Lands are cheap, Rent is expensive.
Needless to say, you can get lands at cheaper rates, but house rents are quite pricey in some places.But still, the cost of living is fair compared to other places.

6, Benue people are bold and daring.
They are never intimidated, and do not make the mistake of accusing someone wrongly, they are warriors naturally, and will not back down from a fight.

7, Cost of transportation is cheap.
With at least N500, you can get to most places in Makurdi in a single day. Make most use of the TSBs and Motorcycle riders.

8, Food is cheap.
They are not called the nation's food basket for nothing. There is an abundance of food and you will get tired of eating. One thing I love the restaurants for is that you are served with a saucer full of meat and you pick as much as you can to your satisfaction.

9, They make use of red bricks
You will appreciate this material better during the heat period. Its a cheap building material but sturdy and cools the interior of the room at any time of the day.

10, Level of education.
They have a wide pool of educated fellows as represented by the current Tor Tiv who is a professor. Their rich folks most times are not flamboyant as you expect. The thatch house is a form of cultural heritage they are proud of.

11, Social vices exist
Yes, they exist but tell me which state is free of such. Its a societal problem that is not peculiar to just one state.

12, Communal clashes
These comes up once in a while at tribes closest to where the state shares boundary with other states. The Fulani-Farmers crises do come up too, but its always handled, and has never affected Makurdi. Funny enough, at this time the cost of goats and chickens fall. You could buy a Full blooded goat cool with a market price of 12000 Naira at 2500 Naira...

13, The Heat period.
I saved this for the last because it is the only situation I dread there. You don't want to be found in the state at this time. The heat period precedes the wet season and lasts between 2-3 months. At this time, you are on your own, because everything generates heat. The breeze becomes hot due to high humidity and saturation point. At night, you have to wake up to wet your bed with cold water, but by daybreak, the water dries up.

2 Likes

Re: Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by pleasantlylovel(f): 7:28am On May 11, 2020
I'm proud to come from Benue State.
Re: Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by PrinxArthur1(m): 8:33am On May 11, 2020
pleasantlylovel which part of Benue?
Re: Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by pleasantlylovel(f): 9:56am On May 11, 2020
MAKURDI
Re: Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by PrinxArthur1(m): 11:11am On May 11, 2020
ok
Re: Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by Owiii(m): 11:32am On May 11, 2020
pleasantlylovel:
MAKURDI
I believe you are Tiv. I'm in Idoma, from Ogbadibo, schooled in makurdi.
Re: Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by pleasantlylovel(f): 1:38pm On May 11, 2020
No am not tiv, am Idoma from Agatu local government. But everything about me is in MAKURDI.
Re: Re: See Eleven (11) Things You Will Experience On Your Trip To Markudi. by Jackmj(m): 3:59pm On May 11, 2020
Makurdi heat no be here oh

(1) (Reply)

Ethiopia Announces Visa On Arrival For African Travellers / Nigerian Astronaut Needs $3 Million To Get Home / UK In 6-9 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.