Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? (549 Views)

PDP Blames APC For Corruption, Poverty In Nigeria / Genesis Of Nigerian Problem.for Lovers Of History. / I’m Happy UN Appreciates My Fight Against Corruption, Poverty – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by JoshuaKay(m): 12:19am On Oct 13, 2017
So many things running through my mind as regards the the present state of our dear country. I would have loved to refer to Nigeria as 'my dear nation' but you and I know we are yet to achieve the goal of a "Nation state." We are just a state with so many nations. That's actually a discussion for another day.

About the subject of discussion; The Nigerian Problem. Is it the popular corruption that we all talk about every now and then or is poverty? Perhaps, maybe it's education. The more I think about it, the more the possible causes that pops up.

For me, I believe what should be our focus is how to eradicate poverty or bring it to its barest minimum. I believe that once poverty is tackled, we'd have less cases of corruption to deal with. Let's look at it this way, corruption is not limited to our politicians and neither was it caused by lack of education nor too much of it. It is mostly because Mr A is hungry and could not secure enough to cater for himself and family. So when he's exposed to a little opportunity, he quickly looks for a way garner all he could for himself with the little time he has.

Corruption at the elementary level is mostly because of poverty and by the time it graduates to the secondary or tertiary level, it's caused by greed. The element of greed still manifests at the elementary level (i.e corruption by the common man) but it's more profound at the tertiary level (corruption by the politicians et al), because you probably have all you needed to survive and sustain yourself at this point but you just want more.

Just take a look at the little lies we tell when we are sent to buy something and we still add a little amount to the original price, that is corruption! Now tell me if that little amount you added would ever be enough for you, hell no!

Look at this analogy in ascending order as the phenomenon transcends:
Poverty>>> Hunger >>> Greed>>> Corruption.
The irony of this chain is that it cycles round in the sense that the more the corruption, the more the poverty created; and the more poor people we have, the more corrupt-minded people we have and therefore, the more the act of corruption.

I believe when you have a stable means of income, you are well to do for yourself, you will not be in a hurry to acquire all for yourself alone thereby depriving others from having access and creating more poor people as a result of that.
So in my own opinion, I'd say let's kick poverty out in order to kick out greed and corruption.

Over to you people! What do you think it's the Nigerian problem?
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by Nobody: 12:25am On Oct 13, 2017
Education!
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by JoshuaKay(m): 12:27am On Oct 13, 2017
gbesky:
Education!

Can you buttress this point please
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by Nobody: 12:30am On Oct 13, 2017
Mentality.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by bamirotola: 12:37am On Oct 13, 2017
Going by d option above i think it's poverty!

It is religion and tribalism, wc encourages setiment, nepotism selfishness and hatred
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by Nobody: 1:11am On Oct 13, 2017
Buhari is the source of all this.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by JoshuaKay(m): 1:53am On Oct 13, 2017
bamirotola:

Going by d option above i think it's poverty!

It is religion and tribalism, wc encourages setiment, nepotism selfishness and hatred

Yeah, religion and tribalism are 2 key issues and that's why it would be very difficult for us to have a nation state.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by JoshuaKay(m): 1:54am On Oct 13, 2017
Kingbet:
Buhari is the source of all this.

This is beyond a Buhari thing
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by CriticMaestro: 2:09am On Oct 13, 2017
Na me and you
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by bamirotola: 2:22am On Oct 13, 2017
JoshuaKay:

Yeah, religion and tribalism are 2 key issues and that's why it would be very difficult for us to have a nation state.

Are we a nation or a state?
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by kjsun15: 2:49am On Oct 13, 2017
All of the above.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by 3stacks: 3:16am On Oct 13, 2017
All those things you mentioned play a minor role amongst the myriad of problems obstructing progress. However, the biggest of them all is impunity! The impunity enjoyed by the elite in our country is unparalleled anywhere in the world. Even Brazil that's not a stranger to corruption still manage to jail some of their elites in certain instances.

We often make too much of corruption and I personally don't think corruption is our biggest problem because corruption is almost everywhere around the world, it's just that some nations somehow make corruption work to the benefit of many.
Until we strengthen the rule of law and accountability things will continue to remain the same. Also, along with strong leadership, Nigerian themselves have a civic duty to play in keeping politicians in check.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by ifyan(m): 3:37am On Oct 13, 2017
GloryIsaac:
Mentality.

Supported
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by ifyan(m): 3:38am On Oct 13, 2017
kjsun15:
All of the above.

Sure but dem still boku
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by Desyner: 3:40am On Oct 13, 2017
It is corruption at the root. Why will the north refuse to go to school but keep holding unto allocation system under the guise of developing the north educationally among others.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by Shorsky1(m): 5:40am On Oct 13, 2017
Corruption. This directly causes poor education,turns families and friends against one another,increases poverty level,makes some states in this country to TOTALLY depend on other states for survival,causes power failure,increases unemployment rate through embezzlement of funds and Wrong priorities .Fight corruption to the barest minimum since corruption cannot be totally eradicated and Nigeria will be a better place.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by JoshuaKay(m): 1:52pm On Oct 13, 2017
bamirotola:

Are we a nation or a state?

Nigeria as an entity is a state just like every other countries. But we have many nations within the Nigerian state such as the Yorubas, Igbos, Hausas and many other nations (tribes).
However for Nigeria to a nation state, it means we have to put the interest of the country first before that of our immediate kinsmen (i.e. tribe). Hence, the issue of tribalism will no longer be at the forefront. Here, we see everyone and identify everyone as a Nigerian and not as a Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa. Examples of countries that are nation include North Korea, China, Russia and a host of others. And I think what makes it more difficult is the language barrier. It is easier in countries where they have a unanimous language.
Hope you get the concept.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by joyandfaith: 2:00pm On Oct 13, 2017
JoshuaKay:
So many things running through my mind as regards the the present state of our dear country. I would have loved to refer to Nigeria as 'my dear nation' but you and I know we are yet to achieve the goal of a "Nation state." We are just a state with so many nations. That's actually a discussion for another day.

About the subject of discussion; The Nigerian Problem. Is it the popular corruption that we all talk about every now and then or is poverty? Perhaps, maybe it's education. The more I think about it, the more the possible causes that pops up.

For me, I believe what should be our focus is how to eradicate poverty or bring it to its barest minimum. I believe that once poverty is tackled, we'd have less cases of corruption to deal with. Let's look at it this way, corruption is not limited to our politicians and neither was it caused by lack of education nor too much of it. It is mostly because Mr A is hungry and could not secure enough to cater for himself and family. So when he's exposed to a little opportunity, he quickly looks for a way garner all he could for himself with the little time he has.

Corruption at the elementary level is mostly because of poverty and by the time it graduates to the secondary or tertiary level, it's caused by greed. The element of greed still manifests at the elementary level (i.e corruption by the common man) but it's more profound at the tertiary level (corruption by the politicians et al), because you probably have all you needed to survive and sustain yourself at this point but you just want more.

Just take a look at the little lies we tell when we are sent to buy something and we still add a little amount to the original price, that is corruption! Now tell me if that little amount you added would ever be enough for you, hell no!

The irony of this chain is that it cycles round in the sense that the more the corruption, the more the poverty created; and the more poor people we have, the more corrupt-minded people we have and therefore, the more the act of corruption.

I believe when you have a stable means of income, you are well to do for yourself, you will not be in a hurry to acquire all for yourself alone thereby depriving others from having access and creating more poor people as a result of that.
So in my own opinion, I'd say let's kick poverty out in order to kick out greed and corruption.

education. we are poorly educated. please, forget certificates. they are useless

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by Sapiosexuality(m): 2:18pm On Oct 13, 2017
Read this article. http://www.mortalpoet.com/corruption-is-not-the-problem-with-africa/

The problem is not corruption or poverty but the loss of values. The institutionalization of low esteem and low value of life. The entrenched idea that the life of a Nigerian is not important. It is from that that all other abuse ensue.
Re: The Nigerian Problem; Corruption, Poverty Or Education? by oladeebo: 3:00pm On Oct 13, 2017
JoshuaKay:

Joshua, you are great!
this is thread I love to see here on NL.
our real problem is education; our scholars were going to school to read, write and communicate only, they can't produce a needle, they were not different from alimajiri, they only have white collar job privilege!
it lead us to corruption and poverty:
proof:-
We have an annual budget of ₦7trillion plus today!
This exorbitant amount of money is largely sufficient for our living if 3/4 of it rest in our circulation but it's never!
In every month we shared appr. ₦300 billion!
In a year it's ₦3,600,000,000,000...₦3.6trillion
The balance go where?.....₦3.4trillion!
This is an urgent area to work on!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See What Happens When A Plane Violates Presidential Airspace / Fuel Price Hike Protest Femi Adesina Lied - Reno Omokri / A Word Of Hope For Ndiigbo..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.