Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,597 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF (548 Views)

Why Cryptocurrencies Pose Great Risk To The Economy – IMF / Why Cryptocurrencies Pose Great Risk To The Economy – IMF / Despite Nigeria Border Closure, Benin Republic Maintains Strong Economy - IMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 14, 2017
The managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, has stated that the economy of some West African nations, including Nigeria, is not growing at the same rate as its population.

She made this statement on Thursday while addressing the press at the ongoing International Monetary Fund annual meetings holding in Washington.

She said, “Sub Saharan Africa (which Nigeria is part of one) is one region of the world where growth is way sub-optimal. Those countries 2.5 percent. That is too low for the demographic expansion of the region.

“There are different countries if we are to look Rwanda it is a different situation from that of Togo and Ghana is going to be different from Mozambique and so on.

“It is still to low for the demographic growth. For that region to take advantage of the demographic dividend of all the young people who are coming up and trying to have access to the economy and have a job, it is too low.”

Lagarde said the organisation would engage commodity-dependent countries on building up their buffers as such countries are not faring as well as countries with diversified economies.

“We are engaging them in the direction of stabilising; for those that are doing well, build up their buffers and more importantly, diversify the sources of their economic growth.

“What we observed is that those that are heavily commodity dependent are faring less well than those that are well diversified,” she stated.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/nigerias-population-growing-faster-than-its-economy-imf/

Re: Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by hisgrace090: 7:53am On Oct 14, 2017
We're too good in that direction.
Re: Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 14, 2017
why wont it be when my 7 neighbors have 5 children each

lol
Re: Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by Fortunevessels(m): 8:34am On Oct 14, 2017
Nigerian... Good people, Great Nation! We are nt overpopulated but we need to be redeveloped,restructured and reunited.
Re: Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by mrsage(m): 8:40am On Oct 14, 2017
Nigeria my country. I salute.....
Re: Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by froz(m): 7:23am On Oct 15, 2017
wamiikechukwu:

lol

grin
wamiikechukwu:

lol

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by Nairastake: 8:33am On Oct 15, 2017
We once had the best economy in Africa in 2014.

History
Re: Nigeria’s Population Growing Faster Than Its Economy – IMF by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 16, 2017
here for the comments.

(1) (Reply)

We've Business For Trucks, Trailers And Van Owners / How To Get Loan As A US Non-citizen / Until My Rent Is Paid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.