Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,544 members, 7,861,573 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:47 PM

We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE (810 Views)

Akwa Ibom Is The Cleanest State - Clean-Up Nigeria Says / Abike Dabiri Seeks AU Intervention In Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians / Erosion: FG Confirms Intervention In Abia As Sen. Kalu's Effort Pays Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by sarrki(m): 1:47am On Oct 15, 2017
The World Bank said yesterday that its entire portfolio across Nigeria currently stands at about $8.5 billion.

The global financial institution was shedding light on its rehabilitation efforts in the Northeast apparently in reaction to the controversy sparked by a statement by its President Jim Yong Kim that President Muhammadu Buhari requested its special intervention in the zone.

The projects are located in the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, it said.

It listed its intervention efforts in the Northeast as including a $775 million International Development Association (IDA) credit for “restoring basic education and health services, agricultural production, and livelihood improvement opportunities through community support development and youth employment.”

The IDA is an arm of the WB that helps the world’s poorest countries.

Overseen by 173 shareholder nations, IDA aims to reduce poverty by providing loans (called “credits”) and grants for programs that boost economic growth, reduce inequalities, and improve people’s living conditions.

The WB, in a statement on its website, said it had to first carry out a Recovery and Peace Building Assessment (RPBA) to enable it “assess the needs of the nearly 15 million people in this region impacted by the crisis.”

The assessment, it said was conducted in partnership with the United Nations, and the European Union.

It said it was “working with federal, state and development partners on speeding delivery of critical interventions to the people of the North East who urgently need assistance.”

But it explained that its assistance to Nigeria was not limited to the Northeast as it “continues to be fully committed to helping the Federal Government of Nigeria, the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) reduce poverty and foster prosperity for all Nigerians.”

It put its entire portfolio in Nigeria at “about $8.5 billion spread across the country.”

It said: “Under IDA 18, the World Bank Group is doubling its resources to address fragility, conflict and violence at the subnational and national levels and help stabilize places that are affected by high poverty and influx of people.”

Jim had told reporters in Washington DC on Thursday that the bank was concentrating on the north in line with Buhari’s request.

“You know, in my very first meeting with President Buhari he said specifically that he would like us to shift our focus to the northern region of Nigeria and we’ve done that. Now, it has been very difficult. The work there has been very difficult,” he was quoted as saying.

The statement immediately sparked a controversy in the country, prompting a denial from the Presidency.

Presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina said the issue was twisted by those who specialize in such act.

He said what Buhari asked of the World Bank was assistance for the Northeast which has been ravaged by years of insurgency by Boko Haram.

http://thenationonlineng.net/8-5b-portfolio-across-nigeria-says-world-bank/
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Wawaman: 1:58am On Oct 15, 2017
Damage control.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Osezzua(m): 1:58am On Oct 15, 2017
after thoght
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by sarrki(m): 1:59am On Oct 15, 2017
Wawaman:
Damage control.

Wetin damage ?

Wetin DeM control ?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Firefire(m): 2:47am On Oct 15, 2017
Too late...

President of the North, well-done!

1 Like

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Blue3k(m): 2:58am On Oct 15, 2017
9.1% for NE doing quick math. You can look at all the projects since 2015 on there website and see its balanced.

Northeast as including a $775 million divided by $8.5 billion.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by GavelSlam: 3:03am On Oct 15, 2017
Everyday his detractors are disgraced. grin

Must suck to be a hater.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by GavelSlam: 3:15am On Oct 15, 2017
Osezzua:
after thoght

If you tried to correct your spelling should I assume you can't really spell?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Desyner: 3:48am On Oct 15, 2017
But that wasn't what Buhari requested. I can imagine him making similar request to the Nigerian Army regarding Fulani Herdsmen.
The fact that World Bank didn't carry out his evil request doesn't make him good.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Desyner: 3:50am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

Must suck to be a hater.
You are working against him.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Desyner: 3:51am On Oct 15, 2017
Blue3k:
9.1% for NE doing quick math. You can look at all the projects since 2015 on there website and see its balanced.

Northeast as including a $775 million divided by $8.5 billion.
That's cos they didn't obey his evil directive. Imagine what he must told the army regarding Fulani herdsmen.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Blue3k(m): 4:04am On Oct 15, 2017
Desyner:
That's cos they didn't obey his evil directive. Imagine what he must told the army regarding Fulani herdsmen.

Don't bet on it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Cherez: 4:24am On Oct 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

Must suck to be a hater.
In your support for PMB, try to be human enough and open-minded cos this way you behaved the generations before us trailed and we still have a Nigeria where am average citizen prefers to have a S/African passport.
I voted PMB to fight corruption but his nepotistic inclinations has gotten the best of him.
The WB deliberately asked him to focus on human capacity but he mentioned the NORTH to them.
In a bid to control image, the presidency claimed it is the NE matter and the WB released this news to prove it wasn't all about the NE.
Now go to the website (projects.worldbank.org) posted by Blu3k and get your facts right.
Please check each project recently according to Blu3k and see it was centred around the North, not just the NE.
Kano and KADUNA also received huge attention and I wonder how a lot of other states lower in class to these two states got almost no attention.
Not just this, also budgetary allocations has the North agreed that they need it due to their population too. But others need some respite too. The SE erosion, SS oil spillage, and SW flooding
I understand the North is less educated (with all due respect) and the NE issue so requires all the help they can get now but PMB's actions and words since the 97%/5% speech gives him away as a bigot and an amateur leader.
He had to drive it to the ears of WB and whoever cares openly

2 Likes

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by GavelSlam: 4:34am On Oct 15, 2017
Cherez:

In your support for PMB, try to be human enough and open-minded cos this way you behaved the generations before us trailed and we still have a Nigeria where am average citizen prefers to have a S/African passport.
I voted PMB to fight corruption but his nepotistic inclinations has gotten the best of him.
The WB deliberately asked him to focus on human capacity but he mentioned the NORTH to them.
In a bid to control image, the presidency claimed it is the NE matter and the WB released this news to prove it wasn't all about the NE.
Now go to the website (projects.worldbank.org) posted by Blu3k and get your facts right.
Please check each project recently according to Blu3k and see it was centred around the North.
I understand the North is less educated (with all due respect) and the NE issue so requires all the help they can get now but PMB's actions and words since the 97%/5% speech gives him away as a bigot and an amateur leader.

Please refer to question posed to the World Bank chief by a Nigerian reporter - see below.

If only, we would eschew hate we would see the woods for the trees.

1 Like

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Cherez: 4:59am On Oct 15, 2017
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Cherez: 5:03am On Oct 15, 2017
You're helping my argument my brother,
See the word there on the picture, "northern regionS" and
not just NE.
I'm not hating here as anyone who doesn't support the rehabilitation of BH victims is a DEBASED human.
Check my history here on Nairaland and compare it with yours to see the difference. I hate NL for the hate here so I don't comment much as I see it as a waste of energy on people who hate each other equally both Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas
You are not making a rational stand for PMB and seeing every critique at PMB as hate; this is pure misunderstanding. Don't forget that this attitude was what birthed GEJ's fall.

1 Like

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Nobody: 5:04am On Oct 15, 2017
The way they are trying to defend this unjust statement from a president, you would think other regions dont have humans in them.

Some one just pointed out:
The erosion in the SE
Oil spillage In SS
Flooding in the SW..

Say no to unproductive population. That is the bane for terrorism

1 Like

Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Nobody: 5:21am On Oct 15, 2017
The NE deserves to get all the help it possibly can, in fact even the current world bank assistance is highly inadequate
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by seunowa(f): 7:11am On Oct 15, 2017
Cherez:

Please check each project recently according to Blu3k and see it was centred around the North, not just the NE.
Kano and KADUNA also received huge attention and I wonder how a lot of other states lower in class to these two states got almost no attention.
Not just this, also budgetary allocations has the North agreed that they need it due to their population too. But others need some respite too. The SE erosion, SS oil spillage, and SW flooding
One stupid xteristic abt southern is dat come 2019...they will still vote 4 anoda northern
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by aolawale025: 7:47am On Oct 15, 2017
These are the sort of issues that arise when someone is elected as president of Nigeria but governs as president of a section of the country. Looking back the world bank chief must have been embarrassed by that request.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Omeokachie: 8:07am On Oct 15, 2017
The reporter was asking the World Bank President about his plans for the NE region, not knowing that Buhari had already instructed the WB to focus on the northern region (not just the NE)!
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by Osezzua(m): 1:13am On Oct 16, 2017
GavelSlam:

If you tried to correct your spelling should I assume you can't really spell?

Yes I can't properly spell the word. By the way, Ur statement didn't make much sense to me Mr Sabi Sabi.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by GavelSlam: 1:19am On Oct 16, 2017
Osezzua:

Yes I can't properly spell the word. By the way, Ur statement didn't make much sense to me Mr Sabi Sabi.

You would call yourself a dummy just to prove a point.

Pathetic.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by otil1: 2:31am On Oct 16, 2017
Back at it.

This matter has refused to go. Those defending have continued to defend. But guess what? Not a single adverse view has been changed.

Reason is not far-fetched. Buhari's statement as revealed by the World Bank chief cannot be taken in isolation. It's within the context of his other actions and statements which have also been characterised and criticised as nepotistic.

Buhari can be Lord of the North. I have no problem with that. After all, Awo championed for the West. But the best gift it can give to the North is to tell them the truth - that preferential treatment does not grow you. Lowering entrance score to unity school, making jamb cut off 120 to accommodate North, even all of World Bank portfolio will not solve it, rather it groom's a culture of laziness.

Rather he should mobilise the North to tackle challenges of the North. And the greatest resource ever is human capital. North needs to be competitive. The youths need to be groomed to be competitive even with counterparts in US, UK and China, not just the South.

Lowering of standards and preferential treatment for the North is what kept the North where it is today. You have professors who cant research, civil servants who can't pass promotion exams and teachers who fail primary 4 exams.
Re: We Have $8.5b Portfolio Across Nigeria,says World Bank. List Intervention In NE by SalamRushdie: 2:32am On Oct 16, 2017
We all know an ethnic Jingoist like Buhari meant the North and not NE ,

(1) (Reply)

Dino Melaye , Saraki , Faseyi And Others At 137th IPU Assembly In Russia - Pics / [Revealed] Ikoyi Loot: How Cbn Gave Nia Dg, Ayo Oke $43 Million In Cash / BREAKING: Wike Sacks Six Caretaker Committee Chairmen Amid Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.