Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) (1049 Views)

Coronavirus: China To Build New Hospital In 6 Days As Death Toll Rises / Shocking Aftermath Of Mogadishu Bomb Blast That Killed Over 230(Graphic Photos) / Las Vegas Concert Shooting: Death Toll Rises To 50, More Than 200 Injured - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by chris4gold(m): 11:45pm On Oct 15, 2017
The death toll from a truck bomb that exploded near to a hotel and market in Mogadishu rose to 276 on Sunday, making it the worst terrorist atrocity in the country's history.

Saturday's savage attack targeted a busy street close to several important ministries in Somalia's capital. Officials say about 300 people were wounded.

"This is the deadliest attack ever," police official Ibrahim Mohamed told AFP.

"It is very difficult to get a precise number because the dead bodies were taken to different medical centres and some of them [were taken] directly by their relatives for burial."

Most of the bodies in have been burnt beyond recognition, and police are braced for the number to rise due to the severity of the injuries sustained in the blast, which is the Horn Of Africa's deadliest single attack.

Following the attack, President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed declared three days of mourning.

Crowds gathered in Mogadishu yesterday (SUN) with protesters condemning the bloodshed.

The Somali government blamed the attack on Al-Shabaab, an Islamist terror group that has fought a long running insurgency against Mogadishu. The Al-Qaeda affiliated organisation had not claimed responsibility for the attack Sunday evening.

Al-Shabaab has carried out multiple recent attacks on the city using grenades, guns and bombs in its quest to topple the government, which is backed by the UN, and rock the African Union.

In January, the group killed at least 28 by ramming a car bomb into a hotel near parliament and then detonating a second device when ambulances arrived on the scene. In June it murdered 31 in an attack on a pizza restaurant.

The organisation was forced out of Mogadishu in 2011, and has recently suffered a series of severe territorial losses to African Union peacekeepers and government troops, supported by US drone strikes.

"They don't care about the lives of Somali people, mothers, fathers and children," Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khaire said of the weekend's bombing. "They have targeted the most populated area in Mogadishu, killing only civilians."

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said on Sunday: “The UK condemns in the strongest terms the cowardly attacks in Mogadishu, which have claimed so many innocent lives.

“Those responsible have shown no regard for human life or the suffering of the Somali people. The UK will continue to support Somalia in the fight against terrorism.”

Despite the frequency of attacks on Mogadishu, the scale of the blast over the weekend has left the city reeling.

Concrete buildings in the Hodan district were flattened by the explosion, with cars set on fire and smoke hanging heavy in the air. Hospitals put out desperate pleas for blood donations, and dazed people searched through piles of rubble, metal and bloodied sandals looking for family members.

"With a heavy heart I would say this is the worst attack I have ever witnessed," Masoud Mohamed, who lost family members in the blast, told AP.

Among those reported to have died in the attack are three brothers who worked at a nearby shopping centre, four volunteers with the Somali Red Crescent Society, and a local freelance journalist.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/15/mogadishu-truck-bomb-deadliest-single-attack-ever-in-somalia/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by Queenlovely(f): 11:50pm On Oct 15, 2017
Terrorist
Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by swazpedro(m): 11:51pm On Oct 15, 2017
This world is ending bit by bit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by Oluwaseyi00(m): 11:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by policy12: 11:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
All hail the most peaceful religion...

R. I. P. to the dead.

2 Likes

Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by yanshDoctor: 12:04am On Oct 16, 2017
give me a reason why i should share a country with a Muslim? i think Muslim and Christian should not come apart. they should live separately and distance apart. for that reasons there will be peace on any of the side.

2 Likes

Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by IJOBA2: 12:09am On Oct 16, 2017
EVERY BODY IN THAT COUNTRY IS A POTENTIAL TERRORIST.

RELIGION OF PEACE

1 Like

Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by IJOBA2: 12:10am On Oct 16, 2017
yanshDoctor:
give me a reason why i should share a country with a Muslim? i think Muslim and Christian should not come apart. they should live separately and distance apart. for that reasons there will be peace on any of the side.
Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by Blooddiamond: 12:38am On Oct 16, 2017
Islamic religion is the worst religion in d history of mankind. I reckon they all reincarnated as vampire's in this life. Peaceful religion my a*ss.

4 Likes

Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by Presidiotbuhari: 12:53am On Oct 16, 2017
It will never be well with whoever invented islamic religion. They dwell with other faith, it is war & violence. They leave with each other, it is war & violence, if it is not sunni against shia, it will be salafist against shia or wahabis against shiah.............. delluded felas

1 Like

Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by DanseMacabre(m): 5:23am On Oct 16, 2017
shocked 276 people and concrete buildings flattened?

That's a whole lot of Semtex or TNT or whatever it is, probably around a couple of hundred kilos or so.

This to me is the roguest nation in the world, wonder why it is still a country sef.

We never see anything for Nigeria sef.

If angel Michael/Gabriel still dey do rehearsal with trumpet, na nuclear war go finish this world.
Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by fergie001: 5:57am On Oct 16, 2017
This is really one sad news.
My condolences to all who lost loved ones. cry

Reminds me of that black Christmas Day Bombing @ Madalla. cry

I will resist the urge to term Muslims as terrorists.

Even though,we are brought to the fore now by a leader that wants to make you feel otherwise,let us all be mindful of the fact that there was a time,we lived more happily.

Rip to the dead.
Re: Death Toll From Mogadishu Truck Bomb Rises To 276 (graphics) by chris4gold(m): 9:03am On Oct 16, 2017
Blooddiamond:
Islamic religion is the worst religion in d history of mankind. I reckon they all reincarnated as vampire's in this life. Peaceful religion my a*ss.

Not all are bad

(1) (Reply)

The New Osprey Will Make U.S Marines Deadlier Than Earlier / Gabon Coup Latest: Billions In Raw Cash Found In Ali Bongo Son Apartment! / The Terrorist On World Trade Centre! (1+1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.