Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,656 members, 7,862,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:56 AM

Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa (758 Views)

Amaechi's Deputy,tele Ikuru Concludes Plans To Join PDP / Council Of State Concludes Meeting, Says Election Will Hold This February / Sng Concludes Plans For Protest Against Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 12:52am On Mar 12, 2010
[size=14pt]Ahead South Africa 2010 World Cup
NFF to set up $8m World Cup Village in Durban
[/size]
From Ezeocha Nzeh, Abuja

THE Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) has concluded plans to set up Nigerian fans' village in Durban, South Africa, where the Super Eagles would camp for the FIFA 2010 World Cup.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/mar/11/21.html

The World Cup Village, which is projected to cost the federation a whopping $8 million, is expected to attract the presence of notable Nollywood stars and performing artists such as D'banj and TuFace, as well as Super Eagles' former players, who would perform and trill fans as they cheer the Super Eagles at the competition.

NFF Assistant Director (Marketing), Idris Adama, who just returned from South Africa where he sealed the deal for the village, revealed that the village would do a lot to showcase Nigerian culture, as well as help Nigerian fans enjoy their stay in that country during the World Cup.

Adama, who disclosed that the cost of setting up the Nigerian World Cup Village would be jointly taken by the federation and its sponsors, noted that the idea would encourage Eagles' fans to be in South Africa to support the team in the first World Cup on African soil.

"The Nigerian World Cup Village is expected to showcase the fullness of the country's culture as well as attract both Nigerian artists and former national team players, who will be on hand to encourage the players," Adama said.

The Guardian recalls that another Nigerian outfit, the Nigerian Tourism Development Council (NTDC), has concluded plans to set up a Nigerian cultural centre also in Durban for the period of the tourney. Nigeria is pitched in the same group with Argentina, Greece and South Korea, with its first group game against Maradona's Argentina coming up on June 12 in Johannesburg.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 1:03am On Mar 12, 2010
A country where majority lives on less than $1 a day is investing  $8M to build a soothing atmosphere for Nigeria football fans who will be attending the world cup?. If you can afford to attend the world cup, why should we worry about you?. It's like paying the same amount to give Nigerian pilgrims to the middle east so they may enjoy their journey. Why not use that money to uplift our local league if we  must spend it?. Will the govt of South Africa invest that amount of money for their fans if a similar tournament is holding in Nigeria?. How much did they invest in the last junior tournament we hosted?. Nigeria/Nigerians deserve no pity from anybody. I laugh in Badagry.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by Beaf: 1:12am On Mar 12, 2010
Govt needs to start sacking these people fast. They can't even get any mileage out of the abundant talent we have, but they can build an $8m World Cup Village. Are we the hosts? Rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by Ibime(m): 1:15am On Mar 12, 2010
hehehehe. . . this has to be the joke of the century. . . EFCC must step in immediately.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 1:21am On Mar 12, 2010
Beaf:

Govt needs to start sacking these people fast. They can't even get any mileage out of the abundant talent we have, but they can build an $8m World Cup Village. Are we the hosts? Rubbish.

Who is the government?. This is just an avenue to embezzle money. We have no schools, roads and co yet you are planning to deport $8m to South Africa just for merriment. I think our leaders are taking us for fools and its getting out of hand. If you must chop money, use a method that is plausible. This idea sounds daft and whoever suggested it needs to be judged in a sharia court.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by EzeUche(m): 1:22am On Mar 12, 2010
Don't we have bigger issues to worry about?

I dun tire 4 Naija!
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 2:37am On Mar 12, 2010
EzeUche:

Don't we have bigger issues to worry about?

I dun tire 4 Naija!

Everybody is tired. The question is what are we gonna do?. While we are busy searching for the Northern cabals, what about the Southern ones like Ibori and Nnamani?. Should we live them to roam our streets free?
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by EzeUche(m): 2:50am On Mar 12, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Everybody is tired. The question is what are we gonna do?. While we are busy searching for the Northern cabals, what about the Southern ones like Ibori and Nnamani?. Should we live them to roam our streets free?

They should have a bullet in their head. These corrupt politicians make me sick. Besides the Northern cabal, we have traitors in our midst.

They are Judas to their own people and they need to be flushed out. angry
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by Nobody: 2:59am On Mar 12, 2010
Talk about misplaced priorities. In the midst of all the crisis in the country, $8 million is being thrown away in the name of World Cup Village.  What happens after the World cup now?
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by ebere1712: 3:07am On Mar 12, 2010
Pushing to legalise owning of arms in Nigeria to help Nigerians cope with the imminent collapse of law and order and this buffoons are building a world cup village. embarassed
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by asscend: 3:26am On Mar 12, 2010
Nigeria we hail thee,

The money must be spent, the officials must get their cut.

Thats why they were praying we qualify, Anyway the way they are going first round exsit awaits them
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 3:57am On Mar 12, 2010
muchbabe:

Talk about misplaced priorities. In the midst of all the crisis in the country, $8 million is being thrown away in the name of World Cup Village.  What happens after the World cup now?

Nigerians will be allowed to loot the village. The windows, toilets, D'banj, fan, signpost, Tuface etc will be available for looting. Get your visa now and always remember, there is an $8M worth of property and services that will be left desolate. wink wink
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by slap1(m): 4:30am On Mar 12, 2010
We taking d house home after d WC, I'm sure.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by jumobi1(m): 5:06am On Mar 12, 2010
Can this villa be completed before the world cup?
This news might be fake
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 5:12am On Mar 12, 2010
jumobi1:

Can this villa be completed before the world cup?
This news might be fake

Not at all. When Nigerians tell you villa, they mean erecting a canopy; When they tell you mansion, they mean buying a makeshift pontoon house like the ones construction companies use on site. In Nigeria, a canopy is capable of costing $10M. I am surprised they are only allocating $8M for such capital project. When yaradua was alive, this thing go cost $90M na.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 7:08am On Mar 12, 2010
slap1:

We taking d house home after d WC, I'm sure.
Ole grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by RichyBlacK(m): 7:21am On Mar 12, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Not at all. When Nigerians tell you villa, they mean erecting a canopy; When they tell you mansion, they mean buying a makeshift pontoon house like the ones construction companies use on site. In Nigeria, a canopy is capable of costing $10M. I am surprised they are only allocating $8M for such capital project. When yaradua was alive, this thing go cost $90M na.

Na true you talk. grin
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 12, 2010
Another opportunity to hammer
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by bawomolo(m): 7:57am On Mar 12, 2010
that's the house the naija supporters club would stay, you know they are gonna overstay past the duration of the tourney grin
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by MzansiSA: 8:15am On Mar 12, 2010
It is not a bad Idea at all.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by slap1(m): 9:36am On Mar 12, 2010
@ aloy emeka. Was only joking. Akpokwala m onye oshi ozo maka ima gi aka nti.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by Sonofpeace(m): 9:52am On Mar 12, 2010
This is really National cake in order. I love naija there is alwayz quota system in every aspect of our life,
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by marvix(m): 10:24am On Mar 12, 2010
Quote from Aloy+Emeka

While I find it very stupid for anybody 2 consida usin abt 1.2b naira on a senseless venture lik dis WC villa I can't accept d insinuation dat Yaradua wld approve dis nd I'm sure if he was around dis project won't c d light of day and Jonathan shld be careful rememba d president told this same sport oficials dat he wld not host d U-17 WC if they had 2 use 51b on d tournament and d oficials worked on their budget bringin it down to 17b and didn't finish spendin it part of dis money was returned as unspent funds, so pls face d issue and don't disparage a hard workin man.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 12:10pm On Mar 12, 2010
bawomolo:

that's the house the naija supporters club would stay, you know they are gonna overstay past the duration of the tourney grin

Of course overstay bros dey na. naija don tire everybody. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by KnowAll(m): 2:16pm On Mar 12, 2010
The Worst part for Naija is getting knocked out in the first round. That will equate to 4 million a week. I think when u get knocked out the country would have spent just under 2 weeks in the games.

Use that money to compensate all the widows in Plateau State both Christians and Muslims it will go a long way in healing the grievances and animosity both sides have towards one and another, It will be a nice commendable gesture.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by adconline(m): 3:15pm On Mar 12, 2010
what is it that I'm missing? Naija is hosting the World Cup in RSA? RSA should learn from Nigeria that you could host the WC with just $8 million instead of $ billions they spent. Or better still let Naija host the WC in RSA since we are too incapable of hosting it at home.
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by marvix(m): 11:54pm On Mar 12, 2010
Govt just confirmed dat d WC villa is not to be paid by Govt funds pls let's confirm stories b4 postin dem here nd portrayin our leaders/rulers as demons, wheneva somtin negative is reported abt d federal govt or a pdp gov pple here just rush out pouring invectives witout askin or queryin d source but if a positive report pple wil decline commentin or atmost choose not to believe it pls let's be matured wats good for d goose shld be good for d gander
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by AloyEmeka5: 7:41am On Mar 13, 2010
marvix:

Govt just confirmed dat d WC villa is not to be paid by Govt funds pls let's confirm stories b4 postin dem here nd portrayin our leaders/rulers as demons, wheneva somtin negative is reported abt d federal govt or a pdp gov pple here just rush out pouring invectives witout askin or queryin d source but if a positive report pple wil decline commentin or atmost choose not to believe it pls let's be matured wats good for d goose shld be good for d gander

You believe Nigerian govt?. Who is paying the money then?. The same govt that arranged for Yaradua to speak to us through BBC Hausa service,abi?
Re: Nigeria Concludes Plans To Set Up $8m W'cup Village In South Africa by marvix(m): 11:08am On Mar 13, 2010
Quote frm Aloy+Emeka
You believe Nigerian govt?. Who is paying the money then?. The same govt that arranged for Yaradua to speak to us through BBC Hausa service,abi?

So I shld believe u instead of d govt. Hav u given facts or u are just speculatin. If I may ask wat was ur reaction to corruption charges leveled against Fashola?

(1) (Reply)

Untold Story Of The Visit Of The Men Of God To Yar'adua. / The Sun Is Here / Oshiomhole's One Man, One Vote And The New Political Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.