Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,643 members, 7,861,983 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 03:59 AM

Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] (10998 Views)

Sad News ,-: Big Iroko Tree Fell In Port Harcourt Few Hours Ago !! / The 9 Biggest Political Casualties Of The 2015 Nigerian General Elections / BOMB Blast In KANO Few Minutes Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by liveitup: 11:54pm On Mar 12, 2010
that was close, definitely thank God. One piece of good news at least! shocked
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by solajacobs(m): 2:53am On Mar 13, 2010
Plane skids off runway in Port Harcourt, 48 Passengers escape death

By Ibanga Isine, Port Harcourt, Published: Saturday, 13 Mar 2010

No fewer than 48 passengers on board a Nigeria Airforce plane escaped death when the aircraft skidded off the Port Harcourt International Airport runway on Friday.

However, about 10 passengers were said to have sustained injuries eyewitnesses in what many described as a near disaster at the airport.

Saturday Punch gathered that the passengers‘ close shave with death occurred during an emergency mock exercise carried out by the Nigeria Emergency Management Agency in conjunction with the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria.

The airspace was closed for two hours as a result of the incident; a development that left many air travellers stranded.

It was learnt that some of the passengers were enraged by the delay at the airport and were only consoled when they learned about the near crash of a plane at the Port Harcourt Airport.

Speaking on the incident, spokesperson of the Federal Aviation Authority of Nigeria, Mr. Victor Asira, told our correspondent that moments after the aircraft, Airforce 950 G888 series landed on the runway, it skidded into the bush.

Asira disclosed that the aircraft had 48 passengers on board when the incident, which he described as unfortunate, happened.

He added that officials of National Emergency Management Agency, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Federal Aviation Authority of Nigeria and the fire service crew were waiting for the safe landing of the aircraft so as to begin the mock emergency rescue exercise.

”People were waiting so that when it (the aircraft) gets down, it can stop abruptly on the runway so that people can rush down to the rescued in a mock manner, but then it skidded off the runway.

“People sustained injuries, but there was no death. I don‘t know what led to it to the plane skidding into the bush. I am not the pilot. All I know is that we were expecting it to come down, because it is a mock exercise,” Asira stressed.

Also the Head, Search and Rescue Operation, Mr. Yomi Bankole, who refused to speak on the cause of the incident, only said that the Nigeria Airforce would conduct a full investigation on the likely cause of the incident.

However, passengers, who were injured as a result of the incident during were immediately rushed to a hospital within Port Harcourt metropolis.

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100313522475
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by chelseabmw(m): 5:06am On Mar 13, 2010
thank God nobody died!
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by supereagle(m): 7:38am On Mar 13, 2010
Air Force Plane Crash landed, bad omen, that shows that Nigerian Air force pilots were not properly trained. What will happen in a case of external aggression ? Food for thought
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by Jakumo(m): 7:58am On Mar 13, 2010
supereagle:

Air Force Plane Crash landed, bad omen, that shows that Nigerian Air force pilots were not properly trained. What will happen in a case of external aggression ? Food for thought

Runway excursions take place all over the world for a variety of reasons ranging from bad weather or visibility on final approach, to water on the runway, brake failure, or thrust reverser deployment issues, so it is a wrong assumption to declare that the Port Harcourt incident was the result of pilot error.

The Nigerian airforce has some of the worlds most experienced and skilled pilots who honed their flying skills in a part of the world renowned for challenging, violently stormy weather - West Africa.

1 Like

Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by banix: 8:32am On Mar 13, 2010
@ Jakumo,

Well said.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by Nescoemmy(m): 8:36am On Mar 13, 2010
yeah thank God nobody died.but then after listening to the report one could see that a lots has to be done in the aspect of resue team operators in our airports as after about 5-10 mins they are still to gain access inside a plane that crashed right there under their noses.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by comechop(m): 8:46am On Mar 13, 2010
Jakumo:

Runway excursions take place all over the world for a variety of reasons ranging from bad weather or visibility on final approach, to water on the runway, brake failure, or thrust reverser deployment issues, so it is a wrong assumption to declare that the Port Harcourt incident was the result of pilot error.

The Nigerian airforce has some of the worlds most experienced and skilled pilots who honed their flying skills in a part of the world renowned for challenging, violently stormy weather - West Africa.

cheesy Are you really serious? World's most experienced and skilled pilots?
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by Jakumo(m): 9:40am On Mar 13, 2010
comechop:

cheesy Are you really serious? World's most experienced and skilled pilots?

Serious as a heart attack, ComeChop.  The storms that ravage West African skies are particularly ferocious, and Nigerian pilots would be out of a job if they refused to get airborne in a thunderstorm, as ordered by their employers, who stand to take significant losses for every cancelled flight.   Out of occupational necessity therefore, Nigerian aviators become seasoned veterans of far more violent weather than do pilots who work just about anywhere else on the globe, with the possible exception of Alaska.

How long would a Nigerian 90's-era jet fighter last in an aerial dogfight against a comparable vintage US Air Force F16 tactical fighter ?  Probably mere seconds, BUT, within the limitations of the Third World hand-me-down equipment and aircraft available to Nigerian aircrews, those guys and gals do an admirable job, for which every one of them qualified by virtue of possessing the balls of steel, and yes, THE SKILL, it takes to ride out those perfect West African storms, over and over again.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by Enotfare: 10:31am On Mar 13, 2010
Thank God!
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by ocelot2006(m): 10:36am On Mar 13, 2010
@ Spyker

The Nigerian Air Force does NOT operate the Dash 8, but brand new ATR-42 Maritime patrol aircrafts. Please get your facts straight.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by noxzie(m): 11:07am On Mar 13, 2010
@superboi.pls how far have u gone wit d aviation career now.its been long we talked now, i'm interested on pursuing a career as commercial pilot now.do u know of any recent options and sponsorships? This is my mail simonobinna@gmail .com and ,08032621312 let me get urs.pls reply by inbox lets talk better, thanks your e-friend.SIMON
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by ocelot2006(m): 11:08am On Mar 13, 2010
It must have been a G-222 transport plane that overan the run-way.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by sandee575(f): 11:29am On Mar 13, 2010

Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties]
« #67 on: Today at 07:38:04 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What nonsense. The most stupid conclusion that can be,
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by sandee575(f): 11:32am On Mar 13, 2010
Report to moderator Logged

Jakumo (m)

Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties]
« #72 on: Today at 09:40:45 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: comechop on Today at 08:46:40 AM
Are you really serious? World's most experienced and skilled pilots?

Serious as a heart attack, ComeChop. The storms that ravage West African skies are particularly ferocious, and Nigerian pilots would be out of a job if they refused to get airborne in a thunderstorm, as ordered by their employers, who stand to take significant losses for every cancelled flight. Out of occupational necessity therefore, Nigerian aviators become seasoned veterans of far more violent weather than do pilots who work just about anywhere else on the globe, with the possible exception of Alaska.

How long would a Nigerian 90's-era jet fighter last in an aerial dogfight against a comparable vintage US Air Force F16 tactical fighter ? Probably mere seconds, BUT, within the limitations of the Third World hand-me-down equipment and aircraft available to Nigerian aircrews, those guys and gals do an admirable job, for which every one of them qualified by virtue of possessing the balls of steel, and yes, THE SKILL, it takes to ride out those perfect West African storms, over
and over again.

JAKUMO, do you have something to do with aviation?
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by sandee575(f): 1:35pm On Mar 13, 2010
No pilot is under any pressure to operate an aircraft in bad weather. Professionally, its
a no go area and i dont see why a company would risk equipment, lives and reputation
to operate a flight that can be delayed until an improvement in weather conditions.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 13, 2010
Its scary when people doing safety training can't even apply safety in their own routine activity.

This is very worrying.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by Fhemmmy: 1:47pm On Mar 13, 2010
mikeansy:

Its scary when people doing safety training can't even apply safety in their own routine activity.

This is very worrying.

Seconded and sad that our govt will not see a reason why they have to do something quick
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by Spyker: 4:03pm On Mar 13, 2010
superboi:

spyker your friend should just remain as aviation security, naf do not use dash 8s,the aircraft that had the incident was an airforce g 222 still used all over the world. in military age do not really matter as the utilization of aircraft is not as high as in civil avition, thats why even the mighty usa still use their 50 year old B 52s and C 130s, and the British their 40+year old vc 10s. please wait for the accident report before you start to judge and speculate rubbish.
ocelot2006:

@ Spyker
The Nigerian Air Force does NOT operate the Dash 8, but brand new ATR-42 Maritime patrol aircrafts. Please get your facts straight.

I am not a pressman neither am i a pilot for God's sake and i only informed the house what i got over a phone all. Why must everything in become an object of argument or insult.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by emmydee(m): 4:30pm On Mar 13, 2010
since it was a mock exercise, why put human beings on it?
48 people going nowhere.
Why didnt they use gallons of water if they wanted d plane to carry load?
Can u imagine this joke? 48 people on a suicide-like mission
Oyibo dey use dogs etc for test, naija dey use humans.

Thank God they did not die!
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by ocelot2006(m): 5:46pm On Mar 13, 2010
emmydee:

since it was a mock exercise, why put human beings on it?
48 people going nowhere.
Why didnt they use gallons of water if they wanted d plane to carry load?
Can u imagine this joke? 48 people on a suicide-like mission
Oyibo dey use dogs etc for test, naija dey use humans.

Thank God they did not die!

You do know that first class militaries and security agencies run mock exercises with live participants, right?
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by ocelot2006(m): 6:00pm On Mar 13, 2010
supereagle:

It's posts like this that annoys the hell out of me angry . What the hell do you mean that Nigerian Air Force pilots are not properly trained? NAF pilots are definitely not the best, but do you know that the FG spends A LOT to send our pilots to elite flying schools outside the shores of the nation for type-rating flight training. Do you know that these pilots undergo far intense appraisals than their fixed-wing and rotary colluegues in the civilian sector?

By the way, the US Marine Corp (USMC) airwing just lost an FA-18 fighter jet. Based on that incident, are American military pilots also incompetent? Finally, do you know that machines also fail?

So if you don't mind, shut the f@#k up and stop spewing rubbish.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by diehard1: 5:26am On Mar 14, 2010
ocelot2006:

It's posts like this that annoys the hell out of me  angry . What the hell do you mean that Nigerian Air Force pilots are not properly trained? NAF pilots are definitely not the best, but do you know that the FG spends A LOT to send our pilots to elite flying schools outside the shores of the nation for type-rating flight training. Do you know that these pilots undergo far intense appraisals than their fixed-wing and rotary colluegues in the civilian sector?

By the way, the US Marine Corp (USMC) airwing just lost an FA-18 fighter jet. Based on that incident, are American military pilots also incompetent? Finally, do you know that machines also fail?

So if you don't mind, shut the f@#k up and stop spewing rubbish.

I like the way you replied. Most of these guys know next to nothing about aviation. Am sure they think NAF pilots just wake up and start flying like Danfo bus drivers. They areignorant that they are trained well angry angry
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by sayso: 8:08am On Mar 15, 2010
at this times,we can only put our hopes in GOD.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by zebra(m): 9:33am On Mar 15, 2010
ocelot2006:

@ Spyker

It's not the ATR-42 that crash landed; it's a G-222. The ATR-42 is used for maritime patrol and air recce, and its base is benin-city. The G-222 has its base in ilorin. I called one of the ATR pilots yesterday who confirmed to me that it was a G-222 that crashed landed during a mock excercise in PH. The pilots involved are experience pilots who after their basic flying training in nigeria went abroad to qualify as transport pilots; The captain of that flight is a Group Captain while the co-pilot is a Wing Commander. I know both of them very well when they were fling in NAF flying school in kaduna. i doubt if the crash was a human error.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by ocelot2006(m): 10:21am On Mar 15, 2010
zebra:

It's not the ATR-42 that crash landed; it's a G-222. The ATR-42 is used for maritime patrol and air recce, and its base is benin-city. The G-222 has its base in ilorin. I called one of the ATR pilots yesterday who confirmed to me that it was a G-222 that crashed landed during a mock excercise in PH. The pilots involved are experience pilots who after their basic flying training in nigeria went abroad to qualify as transport pilots; The captain of that flight is a Group Captain while the co-pilot is a Wing Commander. I know both of them very well when they were fling in NAF flying school in kaduna. i doubt if the crash was a human error.

Please read my 2nd post. I said that it may have the G-222 transport aircraft involved in the incident. Nigerian newspapers wrongly identified the aircraft as the G-888.

Based on the cause of the crash, we'll have to wait for the official report from the AIB and NAF. But if i'm to offer a few guesses, it may be the following:
[list]
[li]The pilots may have failed to deploy the aircraft's spoilers on landing. The spoilers aid in slowing the aircraft down on landing by increasing its drag.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]If it rained that day, or if the runway was wet/water-logged, then the plane may have hydroplaned as water would have filled up the grooves of the aircrafts tires, making it a flat surface, thus reducing the traction between the tires and the runway surface. As a result, the plane skids away into the bushes[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Then again, these are only guesses.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by SkySpirit(m): 3:14pm On Mar 15, 2010
zebra:

U seem 2no very much, can we no hw much time it took these pilots 2finish their trainin in KD & 2qualify as Pilots?
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by zebra(m): 3:24pm On Mar 15, 2010
Sky Spirit:

U seem 2no very much, can we no hw much time it took these pilots 2finish their trainin in KD & 2qualify as Pilots?

i used to live on the airforce base and some of the officers who were student pilots were my friends.

It depends, sometimes because of bad weather they extend their training. sometimes if the aircrafts have problem they extend the training; but ab-initio plus basic flying should not take more than 18 months, after which you go for advance flying. The NAF presently has a good number of pilots who were trained abroad as either figther or transport/operational pilots.
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by KokoBeware: 9:17am On Mar 17, 2010
It was actually an airforce plane with decoy passengers conducting an exercise to show the alertness and readiness of airport emergency systems to accidents,

But it actually went wrong as, the idea was just to land peacefully and the pilot give a distress signal and safety official will rush to the scene to show how alert they are, everything was caughtt on camera, however after landing the plane actually lost control and veered into the bush, (Thank God they where actually expecting it if not it would have been worse)

In the end it was actually a very good one exercise cos there where no casualties and everything was recorded, only God knows what would have happened if they where not expecting such exercise,
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by tanimz(f): 3:19pm On Mar 17, 2010
Which airport did this happen?

Port- Harcourt International or airforce?
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by zebra(m): 6:15pm On Mar 17, 2010
tanimz:

Which airport did this happen?

Port- Harcourt International or airforce?

the one at omagwa. i.e. international airport
Re: Plane Crash In Port Harcourt: Few Minutes Ago. [No Casualties] by tanimz(f): 7:50pm On Mar 17, 2010
zebra:

the one at omagwa. i.e. international airport

OMG!! Its always that airport that something bad happens to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man / FG Directs Depots To Sell Kerosene At N73.37k Per Litre / Jubilation In Benue As PDP Guber Candidate, Uba Returns From Medical Vacation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.