Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt (3822 Views)

Ekiti Biggest Market Burnt Down As Hausa Traders, Drivers' Clashes Escalate / Kano Computer/phone Market Burnt Down / Breaking.. Bomb Explosion Rocks Kanti-kwari Textile Market, Kano State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by knotty(m): 2:19pm On Mar 12, 2010
The Kwari International textile market in the heart of Kano is burning.

The fire started at about 1 AM and still rages till now.

Fire fighters have been battling the fire all night and all day long.

Even helicopters are all over the place dropping water from the air.

The loss is unimaginable, just unbelievable; humungous to say the least.

One merchant was said to have left 60Million in his shop. It  is all gone.

Details will emerge later.

Don’t ask for a source or link. This is community life reportage.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 12, 2010
Its crazy man , trading activities has been seriously disrupted as a result.it 's a very sorry case.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by newmaster(m): 3:37pm On Mar 12, 2010
Fire razes textile market in Nigeria
March 12 2010 at 02:22PM Get IOL on your
mobile at m.iol.co.za

Kano, Nigeria - An overnight fire razed northern Nigeria's largest textile market, consuming goods valued at billions of naira and some cash, traders said on Friday.

Firefighters were battling on Friday to extinguish the inferno which started around 12.30 in the morning at Kantin Kwari textile market in Kano, they said.

"The fire was caused by a spark from a nearby transformer when power was restored after a blackout," Liti Kulkul, a spokesman for the traders said.

"Fire is still raging but firefighters are battling to contain it," he said, adding that the state-run National Emergency Management Agency was trying to use a helicopter to put out the inferno.
Continues Below ↓

He said more than 500 shops and hundreds of stalls owned by Nigerian, Indian, Chinese and Lebanese traders and textile goods and materials valued at billions of naira were destroyed by the fire.

"A particular trader lost 150 million naira (about R7,4-million) in cash in his shop. Other traders had to grab him when he attempted to run into the fire," Kulkul added. - Sapa-AFP

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=68&art_id=nw20100312141226360C777064

sorry for loss, but blame the gov for not build a reasonable shops overther,
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 12, 2010
Sorry for the sad loss. shocked cry

Let the KSG come and learn a thing or two from LASG fire service dept on how to combat inferno such as this.

Just this week, they nipped in the bud an incidence that could have claimed several properties in lives and Ilupeju, Lagos.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Afam4eva(m): 4:10pm On Mar 12, 2010
I hope they don't go killing Igbos and christains for this.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 12, 2010
afam4eva:

lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Kx: 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2010
afam4eva:

if ibo men still dey north after jos crisis,know say
dos once get death odeshi
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by bilms(m): 5:13pm On Mar 12, 2010
another lost
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by EzeUche(m): 5:17pm On Mar 12, 2010
Watch they blame Christians for this. Mark my words.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:24pm On Mar 12, 2010
EzeUche:

afam4eva:

Is there anything gained by uttering rubbish. Keep comments like this to yourself. They do more harm than good
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by auwal87(m): 5:32pm On Mar 12, 2010
EzeUche:

lolz, this is not a blame blame game

the only confirmed dead person is an Igbo man who tried to rescue his 2 million naira from his shop, he is never seen again since entry. People tried to prevent him from entering but he refused and enter.

currently, the fire is contained, and only smoke blazes from the area, not fewer than 500 shops were affected.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by auwal87(m): 5:38pm On Mar 12, 2010
afam4eva:

there is an Igbo program running on Radio Kano weekly, brotherhood is sustaining Kano at the moment, Igbo or Christians (u can't even spell Christians correctly ^^) are not to be blamed for the Inferno, and you will be surprised to see how Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Chinese, Lebanese, Kanuri, etc all trying to put out the fire with the fire brigades.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 12, 2010
auwal87:

lolz, this is not a blame blame game

the only confirmed dead person is an Igbo man who tried to rescue his 2 million naira from his shop, he is never seen again since entry. People tried to prevent him from entering but he refused and enter.

currently, the fire is contained, and only smoke blazes from the area, not fewer than 500 shops were affected.

Igbo man and money. Even awusa wey get 60 milla sef no enter.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Afam4eva(m): 1:00pm On Mar 13, 2010
ziddy:

Igbo man and money. Even awusa wey get 60 milla sef no enter.

Keep your stupidity to yourself.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by redsun(m): 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2010
It is a miracle for those that believe in miracles that places like that don't raze down everyday in nigeria with numerous loss of lives going by the porous fire safety regulations and preventions in nigeria.

Nigerians are the mercies of the elements,there is nothing in place to safegaurd people.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by bagaha: 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2010
Afam4eva
I hope they dont go killing the Igbo and chiristian for this

afam4eva
Pple in kano are not as mad and as biased as u are. Otherwise the Igbo wouldnt have stay there for long. In case u are happy wit the incidence, the Igbo were also some of victim. We sympathise wit anybody who lost property or live. Pls u need 2kno when and where to play politics.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Nobody: 1:33pm On Mar 13, 2010
I hope it wasn't caused by an igbo man's cigarette lighter.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by knotty(m): 1:53pm On Mar 13, 2010
eina:

I hope it wasn't caused by an igbo man's cigarette lighter.

Hear yourself speak, is there any wisdom in that statement?
some people sef.

2 firemen died fighting the inferno.
1 untrained sympathizer who joined in fighting the fire died too.
as for the Igboman that ran into the fire trying to salvage 2million, it was actually 13million he had in the shop. money he kept in the shop the night before the fire.

at least 6 bigtime traders are said to have died from heart attack following surge in their BP occasioned by the scale of personal loses.
some of these traders are ruined.
if you know how far reaching the scale of this fire is you will not come here and poke some asinine broadside about an Igbo man and his cigaret bullsht.

in fighting the fire, there was no question of tribe, race, clan or creed.
lebanese, hausa, yoruba, chinese, indians, nigerienes, everybody all fought a common enemy.Fire, does not know race.

you can pls keep quiet if you cannot show sympathy
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Fhemmmy: 1:55pm On Mar 13, 2010
I wonder what causes the fire, and firefighters in Nigeria needs real schooling, i hope the helicopters are not just dropping like buckets of water on the fire, saying they are fighting fire?
Hope no life lost sha.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by knotty(m): 2:02pm On Mar 13, 2010
Billions lost in Kano’s worst market fire
Written by Lawan Danjuma Adamu, Jaafar Jaafar & Ruqayyah Aliyu, Kano
Friday, 12 March 2010 23:59

[The fire, officials say, is unlike any other in the state, ever]

The fire, officials say, is unlike any other in the state, ever
Over five thousand shops were razed by an early morning fire in the popular Kano textile market, Kantin Kwari, yesterday. Officials say it is the most destructive fire incident in the history of the market. Tens of fire-fighting vehicles were seen battling the fire, while a helicopter belonging to National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) was sighted hovering around the scene, spreading fire-extinguishing solutions.

Our reporters also gathered that scores of traders thronged to the market in order to salvage their wares moments after the outbreak. Many affected traders were said to have fainted when they saw the gravity of the inferno. One of the traders was declared missing after dashing into a burning shop in order to salvage his wares, while a Good Samaritan missed a step and died helping to extinguish the fire.
Weekly Trust gathered that the fire, which broke out around 1am yesterday, started from the makeshift stalls that dot the market and spread to eight shopping complexes in the heart of the market. Each shopping complex contains about a thousand shops. According to market officials, the fire started after a power surge. Spokesman of Kantin Kwari Traders Association Sadiku Ata said the fire began from the eastern section, before spreading to other shops and stands. The Operations Officer State Fire Service, Kassim Musa confirmed that, adding that initially firefighters had experienced difficulty in accessing one of the affected multi-shop complexes at Gidan Labaran due to congestion.
When Weekly Trust visited the scene of the fire, men of fire service were already battling the fire and vehicles from private organizations and good Samaritans were seen helping to put out the flames. A fire officer said NITEL cables helped spread the flames to other shops. He said the fire service learnt of the outbreak from a police patrol team, at about 1:30am. He added that 16 vehicles were immediately deployed to the affected area. Musa said the inferno was put under control at around 7:28am yesterday.
Alhaji Kabiru Sarki Sagagi, the vice chairman of Kantin Kwari Traders Market Association, said the first wave of the fire gutted some wooden stands and tables before spreading to nearby shops through NITEL cables. Corroborating the market spokesman, he said eight shopping complexes that were consumed by the inferno comprised that of Gidan Gwamnan Maradi, Gidan Bala Rabi’u, Gidan Bayajidda, Gidan Inuwa Memai, Gidan Alfa Wali, Gidan Madawa, Gidan Labaran and Gidan Ado Bashari. The vice chairman also added that affected shops number approximately 5,000.
The Public Relations Officer of the association, Sadiku Ata, informed Weekly Trust that after the traders responded to the alarm raised by the market guards, they found it difficult to access into the affected areas, as tables and stands that lined up the paths of the market were in flames. The PRO said: “There has never been a fire in the history of the state that has caused this much damage to property.”
He revealed that preliminary assessment showed that over N2 billion worth of textile materials were lost. Citing examples of those affected by the fire, he said a trader named Alhaji Umaru Hamza lost N60 million worth of textiles in one shop, while another trader lost N22 million in cash to the inferno.
Similarly, while speaking to our reporters at the scene, Kano State Commissioner of Works, Sarki Labaran, said: “This is the worst inferno I have ever witnessed in my career as a public servant.”
Equally, Kano State Governor, Malam Ibrahim Shekarau, sympathized with the affected traders, saying they should take the incident an act of God, after paying a visit to the market. He enjoined people in the state to remain calm and disclosed his government’s intention to investigate the cause of the inferno, with a view to compensating the victims.
Even as at the time of filing this report, the smell of burnt textiles and plastic hung heavy in the air. One of the people helping out, said tiredly, shaking his head: “This loss is just unfathomable. Where will they start from now? ”
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Fhemmmy: 2:14pm On Mar 13, 2010
knotty:

Billions lost in Kano’s worst market fire
Written by Lawan Danjuma Adamu, Jaafar Jaafar & Ruqayyah Aliyu, Kano
Friday, 12 March 2010 23:59

[The fire, officials say, is unlike any other in the state, ever]

The fire, officials say, is unlike any other in the state, ever
Over five thousand shops were razed by an early morning fire in the popular Kano textile market, Kantin Kwari, yesterday. Officials say it is the most destructive fire incident in the history of the market. Tens of fire-fighting vehicles were seen battling the fire, while a helicopter belonging to National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) was sighted hovering around the scene, spreading fire-extinguishing solutions.

Our reporters also gathered that scores of traders thronged to the market in order to salvage their wares moments after the outbreak. Many affected traders were said to have fainted when they saw the gravity of the inferno. One of the traders was declared missing after dashing into a burning shop in order to salvage his wares, while a Good Samaritan missed a step and died helping to extinguish the fire.
Weekly Trust gathered that the fire, which broke out around 1am yesterday, started from the makeshift stalls that dot the market and spread to eight shopping complexes in the heart of the market. Each shopping complex contains about a thousand shops. According to market officials, the fire started after a power surge. Spokesman of Kantin Kwari Traders Association Sadiku Ata said the fire began from the eastern section, before spreading to other shops and stands. The Operations Officer State Fire Service, Kassim Musa confirmed that, adding that initially firefighters had experienced difficulty in accessing one of the affected multi-shop complexes at Gidan Labaran due to congestion.
When Weekly Trust visited the scene of the fire, men of fire service were already battling the fire and vehicles from private organizations and good Samaritans were seen helping to put out the flames. A fire officer said NITEL cables helped spread the flames to other shops. He said the fire service learnt of the outbreak from a police patrol team, at about 1:30am. He added that 16 vehicles were immediately deployed to the affected area. Musa said the inferno was put under control at around 7:28am yesterday.
Alhaji Kabiru Sarki Sagagi, the vice chairman of Kantin Kwari Traders Market Association, said the first wave of the fire gutted some wooden stands and tables before spreading to nearby shops through NITEL cables. Corroborating the market spokesman, he said eight shopping complexes that were consumed by the inferno comprised that of Gidan Gwamnan Maradi, Gidan Bala Rabi’u, Gidan Bayajidda, Gidan Inuwa Memai, Gidan Alfa Wali, Gidan Madawa, Gidan Labaran and Gidan Ado Bashari. The vice chairman also added that affected shops number approximately 5,000.
The Public Relations Officer of the association, Sadiku Ata, informed Weekly Trust that after the traders responded to the alarm raised by the market guards, they found it difficult to access into the affected areas, as tables and stands that lined up the paths of the market were in flames. The PRO said: “There has never been a fire in the history of the state that has caused this much damage to property.”
He revealed that preliminary assessment showed that over N2 billion worth of textile materials were lost. Citing examples of those affected by the fire, he said a trader named Alhaji Umaru Hamza lost N60 million worth of textiles in one shop, while another trader lost N22 million in cash to the inferno.
Similarly, while speaking to our reporters at the scene, Kano State Commissioner of Works, Sarki Labaran, said: “This is the worst inferno I have ever witnessed in my career as a public servant.”
Equally, Kano State Governor, Malam Ibrahim Shekarau, sympathized with the affected traders, saying they should take the incident an act of God, after paying a visit to the market. He enjoined people in the state to remain calm and disclosed his government’s intention to investigate the cause of the inferno, with a view to compensating the victims.
Even as at the time of filing this report, the smell of burnt textiles and plastic hung heavy in the air. One of the people helping out, said tiredly, shaking his head: “This loss is just unfathomable. Where will they start from now? ”

I trust Nigerians now, they will all come out and make bogus claims, why would he have 22M Naira cash there?

See the governor talking . . . .na wa oh
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Gayigaskia(m): 2:43pm On Mar 13, 2010
Thank you Auwal for silencing the stup-id heartless arshole, wanna be bas-tard EzeUche
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by troublenot: 2:44pm On Mar 13, 2010
this is sad.
i was in that market sometimes last year with some chics shopping
plus the market functions on gasoline generators which am sure aggravated the fire
may God help those traders recoup their investments
cry cry cry
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by dominique(f): 2:53pm On Mar 13, 2010
my sympathies to those that lost lives and property in the inferno
i almost reason with the man that died trying to save his money. its not easy watching his means of livelihood go up in flames. may he RIP

Fhemmmy:

I trust Nigerians now, they will all come out and make bogus claims, why would he have 22M Naira cash there?

beats me. . .don't he know his way to the bank. i've heard from more than one trader that they always keep the money in banks after their daily transactions. saying that he had up to 22 milla is definitely arguable.

See the governor talking . . . .na wa oh

that's way of saying, Don't expect any compensations from me or the treasury shikena tongue
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 13, 2010
dominique:

my sympathies to those that lost lives and property in the inferno
i almost reason with the man that died trying to save his money. its not easy watching his means of livelihood go up in flames. may he RIP

beats me. . .don't he know his way to the bank. i've heard from more than one trader that they always keep the money in banks after their daily transactions. saying that he had up to 22 milla is definitely arguable.

that's way of saying, Don't expect any compensations from me or the treasury shikena tongue

@Dominique
Its very possible that tons of traders lost huge amounts of cash. The daily physical transactions that happen in that market are just mind boggling. I know of a case recently where someone needed $800k cash - emergency - and he got it from a single trader at that market, and thats aside from his cash sales for the day. The cash movement there is just c-r-a-z-y! Even with the daily use of banks the thing just flows.

Its sad but I pray they bounce back soon. Traders can be very tenacious about starting from scratch. May God compensate them all.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by philipinho: 4:52pm On Mar 13, 2010
i offer my condolence,
sé my guy wey say in get 60 million and the other business pple down there no get INSURANCE ni?
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by crown22: 5:24pm On Mar 13, 2010
why are all markets in Nigeria being gutted by fire
After few years developers and government agents and big expensive shops will spring up
I BELIEVE FIRE EVERYTIME,EVERYWHERE IS TO SEND POOR PEOPLE AWAY TO ALLOW RICH PEOPLE COME IN
DUGBE MARKET NOW EXCLUSIVE AREA AFTER FIRE INCIDENT
AWOLOWO MARKET
TEJUOSHO MARKET NOW COST MILLIONS AFTER FIRE ETC
JUST A MATTER OF LETS SET FIRE THERE THEY WILL RUN AWAY
THEN WE TAKE OVER BUILD MANSIONS
ALL MAJOR MARKETS HAVE BEEN GUTTED BY FIRE LIKE COCOA HOUSE,ABA MARKET ETC
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by SwtzMinx(f): 5:34pm On Mar 13, 2010
.tz a pity. . .
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Osama10(m): 7:09pm On Mar 13, 2010
Its a pity,what a huge loss and come to think of it whatz happening in naija recently.Everything JAGA JAGA.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Nobody: 12:27am On Mar 14, 2010
I dont know why I still think that this inferno was on accident. Nothing I read or have heard seems to make sense.

, A spark from.smiley.blah.

What if northerners got insecured and wanted to claim the market entirely.?

Or what if the fire was started to hide something, you know in the ashes.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by bawomolo(m): 2:15am On Mar 14, 2010
Equally, Kano State Governor, Malam Ibrahim Shekarau, sympathized with the affected traders, saying they should take the incident an act of God, after paying a visit to the market.

costly act of God, especially in this recession.
Re: Large Parts of Kano Textile Market Burnt by Outstrip(f): 2:17am On Mar 14, 2010
People's future dashed to pieces. So sad. I remember when New Benin market got burned and people were crying over their money they left in their shops. I can't believe that people still do that even now. Could it be that they are afraid that banks will close down and they will lose their hard earned cash? My heart goes out to them

(1) (2) (Reply)

Elections Were Rigged; Why Are We Not All Protesting? / Tinubu Has Done It Again! !! / Lagos New Year Countdown Party And Firework Display. Pics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.