Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

What make roads curve? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What make roads curve? (1767 Views)

What Make Bolactechnologies The Best Graphic And Website Design Company ? / Terrible States Of Some Roads In Aba, Abia State (photos) / How A Wise Guy Intelligently Overcame The 'I Have A Boyfriend Curve ' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What make roads curve? by DrGaius(m): 9:47am On Oct 17, 2017
Engineers in the house please help my curiosity.

I have always wondered why roads, especially high ways, have to curve when it should have been made to go straight and save travelers' time.

Sometimes I don't see any visible impediment that made the road go the other way.

You will agree with me that so many accident have occurred at some of the sharp bends.

I have searched online to know why this happens but I didn't get anything concrete.

Kindly enlighten me.

1 Share

Re: What make roads curve? by SuperSuave(m): 9:57am On Oct 17, 2017
Most times, curves are designed to connect two straight points on a route, to deflect the road through an angle between two straights. They are also used when trying to avoid certain obstacles on the route.

Adequate visibility, adequate sight distance, passengers' comfort and safety are part of the important things that should be considered when designing a curve.
Re: What make roads curve? by DrGaius(m): 12:47pm On Oct 17, 2017
Thanks sir. Sometimes I don't seem to see some of those obstacles. Can you please elucidate on the obstacles?
Re: What make roads curve? by SuperSuave(m): 7:48pm On Oct 17, 2017
DrGaius:
Thanks sir. Sometimes I don't seem to see some of those obstacles. Can you please elucidate on the obstacles?
Topography, water bodies, settlements, private lands and properties.

Roads are mostly constructed to join more than two points which are mostly not on the same straights hence the need to design curves.

1 Like

Re: What make roads curve? by DrGaius(m): 8:26pm On Oct 17, 2017
[quote author=SuperSuave post=61516853] Topography, water bodies, settlements, private lands and properties.

Roads are mostly constructed to join more than two points which are mostly not on the same straights hence the need to design curves.

Well understood now.
Thanks.
Re: What make roads curve? by Duzzlag(m): 2:12pm On Jun 19, 2022
That's great, good to know.
You can know more on road design and analysis from this link:
https://www.duzzlag.com/road-design-and-analysis/
Re: What make roads curve? by Duzzlag(m): 2:14pm On Jun 19, 2022
That's very true.
You can know more on road design and analysis from this link:
https://www.duzzlag.com/road-design-and-analysis/

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome's Daughter Just Got Engaged / Brazilian Women Pay Money And Line Up For Hours To Take Photo With The Man With / ‘how Ex-president, Heads Of State, Generals Secured Victory For Atiku’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.