Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF (6287 Views)

Army Frees 978 Detained Boko Haram Suspects / Nigerians Blast Atiku On Twitter For Not Debating Because Of Absence Of Buhari / Soldiers, CJTF Make Us Give Sex For Food – Wives Of Detained Boko Haram Suspects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Blue3k(m): 2:48pm On Oct 17, 2017
By Ikechukwu Nnochiri ABUJA—The Attorney

General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN, yesterday, disclosed that some high profile cases could not be heard at the trial of suspected Boko Haram terrorists at the Kainji detention facility due to absence of relevant witnesses.

He said some of such cases were, therefore, transferred to the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court for the trial to continue in January 2018.

The AGF, in a statement signed by his media aide, Mr. Salihu Isah, further disclosed that 468 detained Boko Haram suspects were discharged for want of evidence.

Quoting from an official interim report from the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation, DPPF, Mr. Muhammad Umar Etsu, dated October 13, the AGF said some of the defendants were discovered to be standing trial before the Federal High Court, Bauchi Division, adding that some of the cases had reached concluding stages.

The report read:  “It was discovered that some contentious high profile cases could not proceed due to the absent of relevant witnesses in respect thereof, and such cases were consequently adjourned to January, 2018 for trial in Abuja division of the Federal High Court.

“Twenty-eight suspects remanded to be tried in Abuja and Minna Federal High Courts in January 2018, 149 cases were heard by their lordships in the four dedicated courts, 34 cases were struck out for want of evidence and three cases transferred to Bauchi Federal High Court.”

“It may interest you to note that during the proceedings, some of the defendants were discovered to be standing trial before Federal High Court, Bauchi Division of which some cases have reached concluding stage. In respect of this, the court made an order of transfer of these defendants to Bauchi for the conclusion of their trials. Details of these cases shall also be forwarded in my final report”.

Etsu told the AGF that among the case files received by the Justice Ministry, investigation did not disclose any prima facie case against the suspects, but that arising from this, an application was consequently made to the court so as for it to order their discharge and release from custody in the interest of justice.

“The 468 suspects are to be discharged for lack of evidence and be engaged in the Federal Government De-radicalisation Programme through the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) out of the total 1669 that are in Kainji detention facility.

“I wish to forward an interim report with regards to the trial of Boko Haram suspects in Kainji, New Bussa, Niger State.

About 1669 suspects are in Kainji detention facility out of which investigation was concluded in respect of about 450 suspects. Consequently, charges were preferred against about 116 suspects while no prima facie case was made out against about 334 referring others for further investigations by the Joint Investigation Team.

“The trial commenced with a remand proceedings whereby all the 1669 suspects were formally remanded by the order of the court granted by My Lord Honourable Justice Binta Nyako of Federal High Court sitting in Wawa Military Cantonment”, the interim report further stated.

“Of the total number of cases tried, over 45 convictions were secured and various terms of imprisonments were imposed by the court depending on the gravity of the offence committed, with the DPPF assuring that, “I shall forward the comprehensive list together with the (Certified True Copy) CTC of the records of proceedings and judgements in respect of each case in due course”, the AGF’s statement read.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/absence-witnesses-stalls-trial-boko-haram-suspects-agf/

Front Page: lalasticlala
Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by KardinalZik(m): 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2017
LAME EXCUSE!

"An attack on Boko Haram is an attack on the North".

Thus, Boko Haram is synonymous with the North. Since the northerners occupy the helm of affairs in the nation, it is impossible to try and prosecute Boko Haramites.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Blue3k(m): 3:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
They rushed these cases and lost vast majority of them. With this level of incompetence you would think they killed case themselves. Anyway if they were discharged for lack of evidence why do the need deradicalization?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by ncine: 6:08pm On Oct 17, 2017
which witnesss again

1 Like

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:08pm On Oct 17, 2017
angry
Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Byko899(m): 6:08pm On Oct 17, 2017
But they where willing to provide masked witness against some people in this country we called one Nigeria. Very bad

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by BigSarah(f): 6:08pm On Oct 17, 2017
Nijeriya, No Boko Haram Witness What's the difference Between The AGF the Presiden cy
And Boko Haram

Can I testify against myself? Mbanu highly impossicant..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by asawanathegreat(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
Those murderers don't need witness at all jux sentence them to death without an option of fine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
Even Tinunbu doesnt want to be associated with this shameful government anymore

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Leetunechi: 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
My ex girlfriend works in a pharmacy .. Each time i want to change her moods, i go there to buy condoms...

4 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by adisabarber(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
Lobatan grin

1 Like

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Paperwhite(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2017
Who is fooling who in Nigeria? Another strategy to delay until the trial tail down,fade out and the suspects released.What kind of shit government is this for God's sake.Meanwhile NK own went on today despite that the army failed to account for his whereabouts. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by lelvin(m): 6:11pm On Oct 17, 2017
Hehe
Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Nobody: 6:11pm On Oct 17, 2017
Who are they deceiving?

2 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Ibrahim9090: 6:11pm On Oct 17, 2017
Hausa Fulani

2 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Abbeyme: 6:11pm On Oct 17, 2017
Tired of judiciary

2 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Ochasky23(m): 6:12pm On Oct 17, 2017
See them with lame excuses. But if it is to proscribe ipob as terrorist now, they will have 5G networks.
Mtchewww

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by santopelele(m): 6:12pm On Oct 17, 2017
Mumu govt,buhari is boko haram quote me and become almajiri

4 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by romoruyi(m): 6:12pm On Oct 17, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Eke40seven(m): 6:14pm On Oct 17, 2017
Can someone please explain this to me?

“The 468 suspects are to be discharged for lack of evidence and be engaged in the Federal Government De-radicalisation Programme"

These people were discharged because nothing was found against them, however, they were still passed through a "DE-RADICALISATION programme".

Can someone please help me with the, "I'm not understanding" meme?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by xynerise: 6:14pm On Oct 17, 2017
Smh
Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Paperwhite(m): 6:15pm On Oct 17, 2017
santopelele:
Mumu govt,buhari is boko haram
quote me and become almajiri
cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by TheRealestGuy(m): 6:16pm On Oct 17, 2017
While I understand that the NA characteristically would arrest hundreds of innocent suspects, some questions still arise from this:

Why do they need de-radicalisation if they're totally innocent?

In what circumstances where they caught and detained in the first place?

How many more of such suspects do we have and how do we then determine who is innocent or guilty seeing that most of them will not have any evidence or witnesses against them?

All Nigerian forces are highly unprofessional and I'll trained.

It's a sorry country where you can be callously killed and no one will bat an eyelid.

I've got to do better for my kids, they will have other nationalities and will only be Nigerians by bloodline.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by santopelele(m): 6:19pm On Oct 17, 2017
Paperwhite:
cheesy cheesy grin
BRO,ARE YOU ALMA BEGGER?
Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by bukynkwuenu: 6:21pm On Oct 17, 2017
grin but they where able to produce countless witness against kanu

4 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by Lomprico2: 6:31pm On Oct 17, 2017
Its so unfortunate that our christian brothers in the NA who died fighting these terrorist all died in vain! sad

Its a pity! Buhari is releasing them one by one.

3 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by UchihaFeraz: 6:57pm On Oct 17, 2017
Wow!

1 Like

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by totorimi: 6:59pm On Oct 17, 2017
It is normal.

Nguche was the same excuse, kabiru Sokoto was the same until he escaped under suspicious circumstances and the rest we know. The one caught that dressed like a woman alleged to come for bubu, that case ended just like that.

They should give them the amnesty and let us rest. All this drama is enough.

2 Likes

Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by NaijaMutant(f): 7:00pm On Oct 17, 2017
ok
Re: Absence Of Witnesses Stalls Trial Of Boko Haram Suspects —AGF by awa(m): 7:07pm On Oct 17, 2017
Useless Govt

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnpc’s Kyari Says Fossil Fuel To Remain Relevant Decades To Come / Seye Oladejo: Sanwo-Olu Will Not Be Distracted By PDP / Power Generation Falls Further By 27% To 3,567MW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.