Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 (9843 Views)

Cattle Destroy 35,000 Hectares Of Rice Farm In Enugu – Officials / Floods Submerge Olam Rice Farm in Nasarawa / Nasarawa Flood: 10,000 Hectares Of Olam Rice Farm And Mill Destroyed (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 11:20pm On Oct 22, 2017
saliubello:
I'm with you on this too.

Yes o!

Your thread on your Ofada rice experience encouraged me to start my own thread and share my story. I had only been a read and go member of Nairaland until your thread forced me out into public space.

It'd be a great pleasure if these discussions could turn out into real life actionable ideas leading to desired results.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by saliubello(m): 11:30pm On Oct 22, 2017
TangoAlpha:

Yes o!

Your thread on your Ofada rice experience encouraged me to start my own thread and share my story. I had only been a read and go member of Nairaland until your thread forced me out into public space.

It'd be a great pleasure if these discussions could turn out into real life actionable ideas leading to desired results.
definitely, new lessons have been learnt. In the light these discussions, my personal resolve to try rice farming once again is even stronger. But really, non of the mentioned comes cheap. I'll try it again.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 11:34pm On Oct 22, 2017
feran15:

How affordable are the nets? Have you found out from the farmers?

Most people cannot easily use paper to plan estimations. I treat info like this as tips. They are quite affordable for fish farmers but using it to cover rice farm, i will not know until I try it. Yes, I have some figures but I will not rely on it.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 22, 2017
TangoAlpha:

Thank you so much for this extra work. I sincerely appreciate you even more.

I intend going back to the farm for rice if my issues (quelea birds being the greatest) are resolved satisfactorily.

I'm not too surprised that the nets are already being used by rice farmers in Nigeria given that field tests were done over ten years ago. The question is what particular type are they using? Where are the nets sourced from? What's the cost? What dimensions do they come in? In their experience, what's the average lifespan of the nets?

Like the Oliver Twist that I am, could you kindly assist me further by asking your contacts these questions.
The feedback will provide valuable inputs into my viability assessments; which will inturn sanction my going back to crop rice.

One inch mesh should shut out Quelea quelea, even though the mesh size of the nets I have considered so far in my research is 3/4 square inches.

These efforts of yours confirms that we have made significant progress on this thread with our quelea control quest.

Thank you sir.

I am encouraged by the prospect of the nets being very very affordable.

I can explore the prospect of a one acre irrigated and net covered pilot during this dry season.

Let the details of this net come in first...lol

I am also curious about the information @iedide is about to share with us....

Cheers

I think 0.75inch mesh is around. I have used the net for many activities. Fish farmers have it on their ponds 24/7 and it lasts some few months. Since it does not come with sun protector, I do not expect it to last more than 2 years maximum. But since it is for rice and one can uninstall it, it should last longer in my own opinion.

Sizes of the nets differ many times. They come in bundles. People who have been handling the nets can install it. Believe me, a new comer can never get the installation right on a large area of land.

I suggest you cut your pilot to 1 plot of land (Nigeria standard: 100ft × 50ft) so you do not spend too much. From this, we can get the cost of one acre and one hectare.

Can release the information on how to go about it and give you my contact. From there, you should be able to locate other places you can buy it from and compare prices and general services.

Shoot me a mail.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by kolokolobi(m): 11:47am On Oct 23, 2017
TangoAlpha:

I have heard of hawks trained by security agencies in the US to 'arrest' nuisance/illegally flown drones in restricted areas. The hawks will capture any such unauthorized drones and take hand them over to the authorities.

I do agree that opportunity exists for us to explore this option. Unfortunately, it might end up being financially unaccessible to most f us if the required expertise to train and manage such predator birds is not yet ready available in Nigeria.

I am in sync with you on this.

Thank you for this.

Cheers

Thank you.

One way to thin out cost is to aggregate use. I know one or two falconer start up in the UK who provide services to more than one client. Airports mainly. Further more it may be seen as a business opportunity by those who are dedicated to this while farm owners pay a fee for services provided not necessarily farm owners owning the business. Like I said if incorporated with drones and the services provided over various farms the cost per farm may be less than doing or going it alone.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 5:36am On Oct 24, 2017
kolokolobi:

Thank you.

One way to thin out cost is to aggregate use. I know one or two falconer start up in the UK who provide services to more than one client. Airports mainly. Further more it may be seen as a business opportunity by those who are dedicated to this while farm owners pay a fee for services provided not necessarily farm owners owning the business. Like I said if incorporated with drones and the services provided over various farms the cost per farm may be less than doing or going it alone.

Check these links:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201602040218.html

Pandamatenga, Botswana— Quelea birds have turned out to be Pandamatenga farmers' worst enemy.

In 2013, the birds reportedly caused between 60-90 per cent damage to fields in the area; however, they arrested the situation using falcons.

https://thevoicebw.com/bird-bird/
In an endeavor to reduce the use of toxic chemicals to control the destructive effects of migratory pests such as the red billed quelea bird, the department of crop production has adopted the use of the falcon bird.

Acting Deputy Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) Dr Kgoseitsile Phillemon Motsu says falcons are one of the best control methods of controlling the destructive quelea birds as they are safe to the environment.

The MoA which is collaborating with a company from the United States of America on this project has successfully conducted a demonstration on four commercial farms in Pandamatenga.

“Last year four falcons were used to scare the quelea birds on a sorghum field of 1 250 hectares.

The predator was able to protect the crop from the attack by the birds.

A lanner and peregrine would fly multiple flights in the morning and the remaining two would be flown in the afternoon,” Motsu said.

During the demonstration period, Dr Motsu said, the trial farms sustained a damage of less than three percent, while other farms which did not use the falcons to control the mass destructive pest birds, sustained damage varying between 10 and 80 per cent.

I was flabbergasted to read that just 4 falcons managed 1,250 hectares ( this translates to 3,125 acres or 26,909 plots of 100ft × 50 ft). Amazing!

I got to know that such skill can be learned from South Africa. One can import the trained falcons too. Amazing. Also, there are associations and organisation where one can enrol and learn the act. This means if one learns this, there is no need to deploy any drone. Quelea are greatly terrified by Falcons and hawks.

Well, I think it may be too cumbersome for an individual to pick this up. And the hope of such individual to be contracted to manage rice farms might be frustrated. Is it not Nigeria we are in? Lol. You will be shocked what these farmers will want to pay for such service. Many will even plead to pay deposit and then balance after which they will never do. Is it not Nigeria we are in?

The solution is that such individual should learn the act, import the birds and manage is personal farm. However, such farm must be big enough to cover the cost of maintaining the farm and feeding the birds. I read that frozen Quelea birds are used to feed the falcons so as to discourage them from killing quelea birds (apparently, animal right organisation frown against killing them). But will any individual want to spend addition cost of feeding his falcons when there are free meat in the sky in Nigeria and there may not be any animal rights organisation to rebuke him/her? Lol
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 7:50am On Oct 24, 2017
fluentinfor:

Check these links:

Pandamatenga, Botswana— Quelea birds have turned out to be Pandamatenga farmers' worst enemy.

In 2013, the birds reportedly caused between 60-90 per cent damage to fields in the area; however, they arrested the situation using falcons.

In an endeavor to reduce the use of toxic chemicals to control the destructive effects of migratory pests such as the red billed quelea bird, the department of crop production has adopted the use of the falcon bird.

Acting Deputy Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) Dr Kgoseitsile Phillemon Motsu says falcons are one of the best control methods of controlling the destructive quelea birds as they are safe to the environment.

The MoA which is collaborating with a company from the United States of America on this project has successfully conducted a demonstration on four commercial farms in Pandamatenga.

“Last year four falcons were used to scare the quelea birds on a sorghum field of 1 250 hectares.

A lanner and peregrine would fly multiple flights in the morning and the remaining two would be flown in the afternoon,” Motsu said.

During the demonstration period, Dr Motsu said, the trial farms sustained a damage of less than three percent, while other farms which did not use the falcons to control the mass destructive pest birds, sustained damage varying between 10 and 80 per cent.

I was flabbergasted to read that just 4 falcons managed 1,250 hectares ( this translates to 3,125 acres or 26,909 plots of 100ft × 50 ft). Amazing!

I got to know that such skill can be learned from South Africa. One can import the trained falcons too. Amazing. Also, there are associations and organisation where one can enrol and learn the act. This means if one learns this, there is no need to deploy any drone. Quelea are greatly terrified by Falcons and hawlks.

Well, I think it may be too cumbersome for an individual to pick this up. And the hope of such individual to be contracted to manage rice farms might be frustrated. Is it not Nigeria we are in? Lol. You will be shocked what these farmers will want to pay for such service. Many will even plead to pay deposit and then balance after which they will never do. Is it not Nigeria we are in?

The solution is that such individual should learn the act, import the birds and manage is personal farm. However, such farm must be big enough to cover the cost of maintaining the farm and feeding the birds. I read that frozen Quelea birds are used to feed the falcons so as to discourage them from killing quelea birds (apparently, animal right organisation frown against killing them). But will any individual want to spend addition cost of feeding his falcons when there are free meat in the sky in Nigeria and there may not be any animal rights organisation to rebuke him/her? Lol

This is interesting. It is a kind of solution I would love to deploy. Anyone that has idea on how to make contact with the relevant service providers should kindly reach out to me.

We sure are making progress.

So far:

1) We have identified the possible use of locally available inexpensive, small mesh nets as a viable solution. We have reports that it's already in use by some farmers in Kwara and elsewhere.

2) In another thread where this Sam issue is being discussed, the use of fire crackers gained traction (deployed with or without bird detector systems that trigger the fire crackers)

3) The use of real live trained predators birds like falcons or hawks (the nearest support might be in South Africa)

There are other solutions that could still be improvised

1) the use of drones...but the size of drones need to match the number of drones. Plan this solution to account for the limited battery lives of drones....have spare batteries and a means to recharge batteries on the farm.

2) using drones to deploy other solutions...like firecrackers

3) Using recordings of the bird/distress calls of the quelea and their predators...hawks falcons...etc

Let's keep the ideas flowing....but let's remember that whatever we eventually settle for should be economically viable for the specific situation or reality of the farm
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by kolokolobi(m): 10:58am On Oct 24, 2017
fluentinfor:

Check these links:

I got to know that such skill can be learned from South Africa. One can import the trained falcons too. Amazing. Also, there are associations and organisation where one can enrol and learn the act. This means if one learns this, there is no need to deploy any drone. Quelea are greatly terrified by Falcons and hawlks.

Good to know this idea is practicable and effective. Next is to know how to domesticate and actualise.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by dragon2(m): 6:13pm On Oct 24, 2017
If your farm is well mapped out with pathways.You can always use Okada(bike), without an exhaust, to chase the birds,revving as you go. However, you will have to be in a relatively remote area.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 24, 2017
Yeah. Bikes can make one move faster to chase these birds. In one of the links I posted above, farmers in Botswana had implemented using tractors before trying falconry.

Today, I had a chat with one of the experts in the Ministry of Ogun State and he told me that people shouting, throwing or shoting stones with catapaults to scare away birds is still very common. Lol.

I did not realise people believe so much in using juju. One farmer told me today while i was making calls that juju works but the conditions attached to it might not be easily fulfilled these days. Like, a woman who is menstrating must not near the farm, any woman must not urinate near the farm, no shouting near the farm, no cutting of trees and many other conditions. My first thought was, women don suffer in this Africa. Lol.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg1ZDPlsptE
Bird Abatement Program.

Amazing how 1 bird chases thousands of quelea birds. Just one. It seems this is the best solution so far. Orchads are guarded in the United States with these powerful birds.

Real professionals engage in falconry. In countries where you find them, there are strict laws guiding the act. Also, it takes some years and some examinations to pass in order to get qualified as a flyer.

Transmitter are attached to the birds so they can be traced when lost. I had to dig out this info to really understand how the business works. I think it will be a tough project for an individual in Nigeria to deploy this option by himself without getting real help from a provider of such service which might not come cheap at the initial stage. It is like telling a professional to move to your farm to set you up or you go to him to teach you which might take some months or most likely years. I am still trying to see how an individual can launch himself to the game in Nigeria. Real training is needed. I think only a goal achiever who is passionate with rice farming with access to fund can achieve this. Afterwards, it gets extremely cheap for him.

I forsee a situation where we knock down trees on 10,000 acres of swarmpy land, turned it to rice farm village and employ the service of a falconry provider to chase away queleas. We do not even need to know the birds spiecie or whatsoever they are. As long as they are tiny birds causing harvoc, they can be dealt with perfectly.

Personally, I will not waste my time cultivating rice if I cannot cultivate massive hectares of swarmpy land and I will be glad to deploy this option.

Since I know I must be a lone ranger because operating in joint effort organisations is a suicide mission in the community I find myself, I opted for cultivating small land area, harvest huge with little or no powered equipment. But I wish I can get into this kind of farming soon. It is so interesting. Very interesting.

1 Like

Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 8:20pm On Oct 25, 2017
dragon2:
If your farm is well mapped out with pathways.You can always use Okada(bike), without an exhaust, to chase the birds,revving as you go. However, you will have to be in a relatively remote area.

Great idea.

But might not be for me. My farm is swampy during the rainy season, which is the only period I currently intend to do rice.

I am sure it would be apt for some other people who have different realities.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 8:37pm On Oct 25, 2017
fluentinfor:
Yeah. Bikes can make one move faster to chase these birds. In one of the links I posted above, farmers in Botswana had implemented using tractors before trying falconry.

Today, I had a chat with one of the experts in the Ministry of Ogun State and he told me that people shouting, throwing or shoting stones with catapaults to scare away birds is still very common. Lol.

I did not realise people believe so much in using juju. One farmer told me today while i was making calls that juju works but the conditions attached to it might not be easily fulfilled these days. Like, a woman who is menstrating must not near the farm, any woman must not urinate near the farm, no shouting near the farm, no cutting of trees and many other conditions. My first thought was, women don suffer in this Africa. Lol.

You have no idea how many people believe in juju and so passionately too.

I cannot count the number of people who gave their strong recommendations for me to implement juju. Some even sent some my closet people to me. They told me to implement well before it started to flower. They claimed that one need to implement well in advance of the stage where the birds attack.

The version of the juju that they conjure uses a type of leaf (whose name I have forgotten). They said this leaf was known to make hunter get lost in the bush during hunting trips. When a lone hunter gets into the wild and sights this leaf, they claim, the hunter is unable to find his way back home.

So this leaf, which I have no idea how they can truly get if it makes you lose your way in the thick forest, is a major component of the juju used for the bird control. When the Quelea flies close to a rice farm which is under the protection of this juju, the birds fail to see the farm. They fly past the rice and never attack.

Some other rice farmers in the neighborhood of my farm claimed they adopted the juju for their rice and it worked. I didn't speak with them directly. I didn't visit their farms. I just wasn't interested. So I can not verify or validate their claims.

I can imagine what all these people were thinking after their saw the massive loss I recorded from the bird attacks. I guess their commiseration would have been soaked in mockery.

I just wouldn't do what I wouldn't do.

2 Likes

Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 8:46pm On Oct 25, 2017
fluentinfor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg1ZDPlsptE
Bird Abatement Program.

Amazing how 1 bird chases thousands of quelea birds. Just one. It seems this is the best solution so far. Orchads are guarded in the United States with these powerful birds.

Real professionals engage in falconry. In countries where you find them, there are strict laws guiding the act. Also, it takes some years and some examinations to pass in order to get qualified as a flyer.

Transmitter are attached to the birds so they can be traced when lost. I had to dig out this info to really understand how the business works. I think it will be a tough project for an individual in Nigeria to deploy this option by himself without getting real help from a provider of such service which might not come cheap at the initial stage. It is like telling a professional to move to your farm to set you up or you go to him to teach you which might take some months or most likely years. I am still trying to see how an individual can launch himself to the game in Nigeria. Real training is needed. I think only a goal achiever who is passionate with rice farming with access to fund can achieve this. Afterwards, it gets extremely cheap for him.

I forsee a situation where we knock down trees on 10,000 acres of swarmpy land, turned it to rice farm village and employ the service of a falconry provider to chase away queleas. We do not even need to know the birds spiecie or whatsoever they are. As long as they are tiny birds causing harvoc, they can be dealt with perfectly.

Personally, I will not waste my time cultivating rice if I cannot cultivate massive hectares of swarmpy land and I will be glad to deploy this option.

Since I know I must be a lone ranger because operating in joint effort organisations is a suicide mission in the community I find myself, I opted for cultivating small land area, harvest huge with little or no powered equipment. But I wish I can get into this kind of farming soon. It is so interesting. Very interesting.

The use of a predator like the falcon is an interesting prospect. It should be doable with clusters of rice farmers. This option should be given serious consideration.

I will add it to my list for further investigation.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNGyiyxPza8

This is what I am talking about. grin grin grin grin
When you arm your drone with powerful fireworks, crackers, aerial salutes, roman rod shooters etc you get result. Then, when you have a sort of coordinate piloting which can follow birds steadily will really work. And then when they hide in trees, you release your bombs/crackers on them. They will definitely fly away. If I fly the drone, honestly, I might kill some birds. grin so that the birds can take my drone serious. Next time when they hear the sound, they will not even try to hide on tree, they will fly fly fly away. Thenafter, my drone will just be dancing azonto in the air. Lol

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by saliubello(m): 8:40am On Oct 26, 2017
fluentinfor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNGyiyxPza8

This is what I am talking about. grin grin grin grin
When you arm your drone with powerful fireworks, crackers, aerial salutes, roman rod shooters etc you get result. Then, when you have a sort of coordinate piloting which can follow birds steadily will really work. And then when they hide in trees, you release your bombs/crackers on them. They will definitely fly away. If I fly the drone, honestly, I might kill some birds. grin so that the birds can take my drone serious. Next time when they hear the sound, they will not even try to hide on tree, they will fly fly fly away. Thenafter, my drone will just be dancing azonto in the air. Lol
Technology in agriculture per excellence. Will this be cheap?

1 Like

Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 26, 2017
If doing 1 ha to like 3 ha of rice, maybe it makes sense to start with net but if it is large acres or hectares like TangoAlpha's size of farm, net will be expensive. Therefore, using falcon or hawk will do the job better. However, I am sure it will be expensive to import a falconry service provider. In my opinion, farmers can form an association and implement it. They can also ask for governemnet assistant for the project. There are two or three services providers that I know in the US and also in South Africa. The objective should be training around 5 people to fly falcons for such purpose. And from there, the service can get better. The issue is that associations, cooperative societies, groups etc these days are all with negative issues these days. But it is do- able. It will be my delight to assist any of such cooperative society achieve this if I see the seriousness in the members.

An individual blessed with some extra cash can get a drone with accessories and batteries at the cost of $900 - $ 1,700. Thenafter, looks for where to buy crackers, fireworks and salutes which he will attach to it. At the initial stage, he may just ignite the cracker, (aka bangers) before taking off and moves straight to shoot the birds and then keeps threatening them till they are tired. Later, he may deploy additional electronic device which can trigger the banger automatically. So, if he loads like 20 rods, it can be programed or released at different intervals instead of everything blowing up at the same time. So your drone can cause serious harvoc. Let your drone have a perculiar sound like a siren and flashing light which make it unique and easily noticed from a far distance. When you bombard them for a week, no one will tell them to stay clear off your farm. You may even notice later that as soon as you blow siren similar to that of your drone when your drone is inactive, birds will "pick race" without even seeing your drone because they know what is about to befall them. grin

As for TangoAlpha, I believe what he needs now are:

1. Diffferent kinds of crackers and fireworks (the ones that travel far and then explode with terrible bomb sound, the ones that scatter terrible lighnings, the ones that splash round etc)
2. Powerful telescope to watch his drone far off
3. A control house on raised platform at the center of his farm so he can have a clear view of the whole of his farm.
4. His drone has a camera so, he needs to record some of the activities.
5. A Tracking Point’s computer-assisted weapons to hit targets accurately. Aim is not to kill them but to scare them off. But they better pray the drone pilot does not get over excited and he starts dropping them and they become meat in his pot. Nigerians eat anything. Lol.

This is what I call Aerial Star War. Seriously, I can sign up for such adventure. All I need is my iced drink and snacks beside me while I enjoy the show.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 10:43am On Oct 26, 2017
fluentinfor:
If doing 1 ha to like 3 ha of rice, maybe it makes sense to start with net but if it is large acres or hectares like TangoAlpha's size of farm, net will be expensive. Therefore, using falcon or hawk will do the job better. However, I am sure it will be expensive to import a falconry service provider. In my opinion, farmers can form an association and implement it. They can also ask for governemnet assistant for the project. There are two or three services providers that I know in the US and also in South Africa. The objective should be training around 5 people to fly falcons for such purpose. And from there, the service can get better. The issue is that associations, cooperative societies, groups etc these days are all with negative issues these days. But it is do- able. It will be my delight to assist any of such cooperative society achieve this if I see the seriousness in the members.

An individual blessed with some extra cash can get a drone with accessories and batteries at the cost of $900 - $ 1,700. Thenafter, looks for where to buy crackers, fireworks and salutes which he will attach to it. At the initial stage, he may just ignite the cracker, (aka bangers) before taking off and moves straight to shoot the birds and then keeps threatening them till they are tired. Later, he may deploy additional electronic device which can trigger the banger automatically. So, if he loads like 20 rods, it can be programed or released at different intervals instead of everything blowing up at the same time. So your drone can cause serious harvoc. Let your drone have a perculiar sound like a siren and flashing light which make it unique and easily noticed from a far distance. When you bombard them for a week, no one will tell them to stay clear off your farm. You may even notice later that as soon as you blow siren similar to that of your drone when your drone is inactive, birds will "pick race" without even seeing your drone because they know what is about to befall them. grin

As for TangoAlpha, I believe what he needs now are:

1. Diffferent kinds of crackers and fireworks (the ones that travel far and then explode with terrible bomb sound, the ones that scatter terrible lighnings, the ones that splash round etc)
2. Powerful telescope to watch his drone far off
3. A control house on raised platform at the center of his farm so he can have a clear view of the whole of his farm.
4. His drone has a camera so, he needs to record some of the activities.
5. A Tracking Point’s computer-assisted weapons to hit targets accurately. Aim is not to kill them but to scare them off. But they better pray the drone pilot does not get over excited and he starts dropping them and they become meat in his pot. Nigerians eat anything. Lol.

This is what I call Aerial Star War. Seriously, I can sign up for such adventure. All I need is my iced drink and snacks beside me while I enjoy the show.

A beautiful mind at work. Kudos!

Let me bring up anew angle to the us of drones. The Nigerian FG came up with some guidelines last year or so for flying private drones in Nigerian airspace. Six months before hand, you are to seek approval from NSA and NCAA. You make some payments to get the initial license (900k); and renew license every two years or so at 500k.

I don't think the enforcement has started; neither do I think Nigerians have started obtaining the license. However, the detonation of firecrackers flown on drones is most likely going to draw attention o that farm.

The security concerns are valid. Unscrupulous elements could use similar techniques to wreck havoc. Secondly, Aviation safety concerns are also valid. There has to be some regulation so that people do not accidentally fly drone into the path of airplanes. Food security is also a front burner.

My guess is that when push turns to shove, it's the food security that will have o suffer in the mix. Leading to the government discouraging the use of drones with firecrackers. So as interesting and realistic as these suggestions are, they must be considered against security and safety concerns external to agriculture.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 26, 2017
TangoAlpha:

A beautiful mind at work. Kudos!

Let me bring up anew angle to the us of drones. The Nigerian FG came up with some guidelines last year or so for flying private drones in Nigerian airspace. Six months before hand, you are to seek approval from NSA and NCAA. You make some payments to get the initial license (900k); and renew license every two years or so at 500k.

I don't think the enforcement has started; neither do I think Nigerians have started obtaining the license. However, the detonation of firecrackers flown on drones is most likely going to draw attention o that farm.

The security concerns are valid. Unscrupulous elements could use similar techniques to wreck havoc. Secondly, Aviation safety concerns are also valid. There has to be some regulation so that people do not accidentally fly drone into the path of airplanes. Food security is also a front burner.

My guess is that when push turns to shove, it's the food security that will have o suffer in the mix. Leading to the government discouraging the use of drones with firecrackers. So as interesting and realistic as these suggestions are, they must be considered against security and safety concerns external to agriculture.

I totally agree with you. This is how it works in every advance country. But let me bring it to your notice something. Do you know that it is still legal to fly drone with loaded automatic gun and shoot in the air in many countries and in the US? People are just beginning to shout against it now. So, what is not common in a place might be legal despite it is illegal in another place. Hmmmm! Here is my point, technology comes, red tapes and laws follow. The red tapes give birth to another way of by-passing the law. That it is illegal without license in the US does not make it illegal in Nigeria. And even in the US, licensed drones are shot down by gun or eagles. Hmmmm! That it is licensed does not mean it will not irritate others when it is too common. But what is not common does not hurt so much.

The question is how many drones have we seen in the air in Nigeria? Not so common like in Europe and N.America where bottles of wine are flown across cities with drones, engagement ring has been flown as a surprise package, etc.

I agree to be cautious of this but even you tell me about the so called NSA, there may be unlikely any place to pay such fee. If they are serious, it is at the point the parcel is inspected by custom that such fine should have been imposed. Or is there any drone made in Nigeria? I know how many license fees and charges i have paid for many parcels I have received. My point is that it seems it is very legal now because almost 0% population of Nigeria are flying drones. So, what is the need for such law? It is not as if it is flown close to airport or across a big city here.

Talk of attracting or causing whatever noise. The children employed to chase birds do not do it quietly. They make terrible noise. Yeah.....and detonating crackers are used too by the children and they shoot stones.

I do not see any reason why it should not be deployed now. At least, for now that it is legal. I mean it is very very legal. If one starts flying it and one is approached, then, the right thing to do is to take such approval. Or maybe anyone can really direct one to where such license can be processed. Where? HOW?

Is your farm not in a remote area in a village?
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by saliubello(m): 11:38am On Oct 26, 2017
Kindly put the last two descriptions (posts) down for National security reasons. Pleasee
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 26, 2017
And what kind of national security issue is that? It can be compared with keeping sex education from a girl because you want to protect her. Drone topic that is everywhere. You tap your laptop connected to internet and you get all. What is the big issue there?

Technology comes, laws follow. The law gives birth to another technology and then another law. And on and on it goes.

Do not be left behind. Read, study, interact with each other and move with technology.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by arthurshelly: 9:37pm On Oct 26, 2017
TangoAlpha:

Great idea.

But might not be for me. My farm is swampy during the rainy season, which is the only period I currently intend to do rice.

I am sure it would be apt for some other people who have different realities.

Your story is 100% true because I look at the farm from my house in ibaragu ...iys a pity you lose so much in that farm rice
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by kagari: 10:25pm On Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one seeing the business angle of this?

I mean the falcon business angle. I believe the pest issue its what is hindering local production.

If individuals can't handle the project, I believe state government can come in handy

I am now wondering what method the the LAKE rice project of Lagos and kebbi are using.

On my way to starting a falcon training school grin
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Fadphils(m): 6:09pm On Oct 27, 2017
@Op

I sincerely commend your effort to bring experience and rice farming journey so far to the reach of the people.
I also don't know if you will permit me to share my own journey and my rice farming experience with the house too, your experience shared has brought me a great relief I thought I was the only one going through the hell of rice farming.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 6:18pm On Oct 27, 2017
arthurshelly:

Your story is 100% true because I look at the farm from my house in ibaragu ...iys a pity you lose so much in that farm rice

Thanks for the validation.

I hope you can come around when we start cropping the land again soon.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 6:21pm On Oct 27, 2017
kagari:
Am I the only one seeing the business angle of this?

I mean the falcon business angle. I believe the pest issue its what is hindering local production.

If individuals can't handle the project, I believe state government can come in handy

I am now wondering what method the the LAKE rice project of Lagos and kebbi are using.

On my way to starting a falcon training school grin

Every problem is a business opportunity. There sure is a business angle to this. Let's see how quickly someone brings it to live
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 6:22pm On Oct 27, 2017
saliubello:
Kindly put the last two descriptions (posts) down for National security reasons. Pleasee

I see your point. I'll follow up with another phone call to you.

Thanks
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by TangoAlpha: 6:26pm On Oct 27, 2017
Fadphils:
@Op

I sincerely commend your effort to bring experience and rice farming journey so far to the reach of the people.
I also don't know if you will permit me to share my own journey and my rice farming experience with the house too, your experience shared has brought me a great relief I thought I was the only one going through the hell of rice farming.

Thanks for your comment.

Your experience is welcome here. It will enrich and broaden the discussion.

Please be generous with details.

Thanks.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by saliubello(m): 6:30pm On Oct 27, 2017
Fadphils:
@Op

can't wait to read about it
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by Fadphils(m): 6:42pm On Oct 27, 2017
@Op, thanks for the privilege.

Let start by saying this **the biggest lesson I learnt**
1. Ignorance is not a bliss and it is very very expensive.
2. Expect the best but also prepare for the worse.

My journey started exactly this time last year, was in a salon where I used to cut my hair somewhere I. Port Harcourt. Lo and behold a Tiv guy bringing up inspirations on agriculture in Tiv, to be sincere, I've got no clue about agribusiness. It got my attention and after the whole talk I went after him and asked him how true all that he has said is, he said he is very sure of it all.

There we go, like all entrepreneur will do, I activated my challenge button and set out for it. I don't have a clue but I am surely having the peace within me to go ahead with the challenge.. To cut the story short....

My first trip to Benue was Nov 20, I went with the guy to his village where he introduced me to his uncle and we went around the rice farms in the village, he told him what we came to do, they spoke their language and had a secret meeting. I was dumb and straight to know the journey of extortion has began.

Was told to show up December in order to come and get the land I needed for the project I went back and before I knew the pressure to send money for the commitment of land began. I question the motive, how will I commit myself to a land I have not seen, I told them hell no I won't send a dime notwithstanding a week later I was told I have to send the money me having to think of the poor farmer.

Here come December I was in the cross road of where to go Nasarawa or Benue having served in Nasarawa state but the question of Fulani herdsmen was my nightmare. Nasarawa is populated with fulanis I had to return to Benue learning my friend's uncles local government doesn't have a single Fulani herdsmen in it.

All through the yuletide period I was on the road all through the time sourcing for land. I came to my friend's uncle to see the land he said he has made some commitment on all for him to tell me the guy has travelled for Christmas and we won't be able to step in the land till he's back. I trusted his judgment and we went looking for another we later found about 3 acres which I was charge for 60k I negotiated it for 40k with them telling me 40k is very cheap to get such land, I thought it a good deal not knowing it was a rip off.

I traveled back home to get set for the work but I was told I have to start my land preparations else by April I won't be able to plant anything because the whole land must have been flooded by then, I had to return by January to start the land preparation all for me to discover the man didn't pay for the land. I couldn't arrest him because of my friend, my friend pleaded on his behalf which I had to let go I moved on by getting another land through another channel, they got me about 2hectares which I was told it's 6hectares. Please I know this sounds stupid and I take responsibility for my stupidity, like I said earlier ignorance is expensive. I trusted them and paid a whooping 100k for the land thinking they were doing me a favour by getting me cheaper land not knowing I have been gypped. I was charged for the bush clearing, spraying of chemiclas, cutting of trees and other stuffs they charged me 40k and was told to buy a cartoon and one half of chemicals. I did pay all for me to discover they didn't do anything after I left, chemical was shared work left undone.
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by arthurshelly: 9:12am On Oct 28, 2017
TangoAlpha:

Thanks for the validation.

I hope you can come around when we start cropping the land again soon.

Sure..when are you start cropping again?
Re: Quelea Quelea Bird Attack On My Ofada Rice Farm In 2017 by spinna: 9:18am On Oct 28, 2017
Very interesting to learn that the Mavic, the dream of filmmakers is being used to scare birds in a farm, a cheaper drone should hve been use i think, i mean you don't really need the expensive camera and gimbal if all you need the drone for is scaring birds.

But based on reading i would advise either netting or falcons..the falcons seem the best option and if one perfects it it becomes a service/product that can be sold to farmers.

Best of luck in your green endeavours, dont give up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Invest In Cashew Farming And Get Returns For 50 Years / Genetically Modified Pod-Borer Resistant Cowpea Approved In Nigeria / Ostrich For Sale!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.