Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,483 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True (35985 Views)

Home Remedies For Pimples You Can Try Today / Demystifying The Myths On Depression By Mmachi Offurum / Five Nutritional Myths That You Believe But Are False (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by michaelo2(m): 6:58am On Oct 19, 2017
Pimples are just nasty. It’s a fact that we all have to live with at one point or the other in our life though some more than others, others much longer than most.

Nah scratch that — It’s a really annoying fact of life, which is why is difficult to blame people for accepting whatever their friends has told them, which actually came from their own friends.

But accepting those myths may even worsen the problem than solve it. On your behalf, we interviewed a few dermatologists to shed more light on the matter.

1. If you eat nuts will, you will surely get pimples. Dermatologists have agreed that eating oily foods and chocolates don’t cause acne.

Dr. Red Recio, MD Dermatologist and Founder of Rederm Medical Center, says,

“Diet has long been a controversial subject in acne research. There is a popular notion that greasy foods somehow contribute to oily or acne-prone skin. There is no conclusive evidence for other food items such as chocolate or saturated fats.”

That is all is just heresay, no evidence prove it.

2. You have pimples because your face is dirty. Having pimples also doesn’t mean that your face is dirtier than your other smooth-skinned friends.

Dr. Recio explains, “Skin cell turnover is a natural process that pushes oil and debris out of your pores, keeping them clean. When that doesn't happen fast enough, your pores collect oil, skin debris, and protein. Dirt doesn’t take part in the process.”

So before you go on hyperdrive and start washing your face more than the doctor advised two times daily, take note that it does not help treat or clean up acne.

Dr. Talens says, “Washing the face more often than twice a day strips the skin of essential lipids. This only makes the surface dry, but does not do anything to reduce oil gland activity. In fact, it can even worsen acne by causing further irritation or inflammation.” Now that's settled.

3. Dabbing toothpaste on your pimples can clear it. Oscar S.D. Grino, Jr. MD, Dermatologist at Derm & Beyond Skin and Aesthetic Center, says it may seem like it’s working, but it’s still a no.

“Sometimes it can dry pimples out because of some ingredients in it, such as baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol and triclosan, but it’s not made for your skin, so it can cause skin irritation and rashes.” — LA, GMA News.

Now you've heard it, correct your friends next time.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/10/3-myths-on-pimples-you-believe-but-are.html?m=1

Cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, dominique

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Adexprint(m): 7:09am On Oct 19, 2017
what's even the best cure
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Hashimyussufamao(m): 7:09am On Oct 19, 2017
some pimples are thick enough be a house pillar grin #meanwhile the simple logic to pimples is applying early morning toothpaste it's a cheat!! #thank me later

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by ajokebelle(f): 7:12am On Oct 19, 2017
I'm very sure oil contributes to acne- talking from my own personal experience.
I had acne on my face, and it was so much, tried lots of creams, soap and cleansers but it was not working.
Believe me I became a researcher on acne, always browsing on causes of acne and likes.
Until I found out that its not only bacteria on the skin that causes acne, fungi also causes equal damage and using something that fights bacteria on it won't do any good.
The fungi on the skin acts on the oil , thereby forming the acne, the best treatment is staying off oil in any form which is impossible.

I had to reduce oil intake and used oral ketoconazole for a while before using the topical treatment of it.
Trust me, my face is now far far better.
I still notice that anytime I take much of something fried , or other oily foods i still get one or two breakouts.

So, I don't agree with the first point
peacettw:

Just here to create an awareness that oral ketoconazole is considered dangerous and no longer recommended as first line therapy to treat fungal Infections. This is because in some people, the drug can cause an acute liver shutdown and since we do not know who that can happen to, it is generally safer to avoid the drug. The cream though is safe so long as it is not oral. I hope this message will at least save someone

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Mynd44: 7:17am On Oct 19, 2017
ajokebelle:
I'm very sure oil contributes to acne- talking from my own personal experience.
I had acne on my face, and it was so much, tried lots of creams, soap and cleansers but it was not working.
Believe me I became a researcher on acne, always browsing on causes of acne and likes.
Until I found out that its not only bacteria on the skin that causes acne, fungi also causes equal damage and using something that fights bacteria on it won't do any good.
The fungi on the skin acts on the oil , thereby forming the acne, the best treatment is staying off oil in any form which is impossible.

I had to reduce oil intake and used oral ketoconazole for a while before using the topical treatment of it.
Trust me, my face is now far far better.
I still notice that anytime I take much of something fried , or other oily foods i still get one or two breakouts.

So, I don't agree with the first point
Ever thought that that is your body's personal reaction to oil? That you react that way does not mean other will which is the point being made here

28 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by DanielsParker(m): 7:18am On Oct 19, 2017
Well, I don't have pimples.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by nony43(m): 7:18am On Oct 19, 2017
Use lemon, it works faster

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by RapportNaija(m): 7:18am On Oct 19, 2017
Mynd44:

Ever thought that that is your body's personal reaction to oil? That you react that way does not mean other will which is the point being made here

Well my body reacts to oil the same hers does, and I am sure we are not alone in this world. That there is no empirical evidence or explanation does not mean that oily face or fat rich foods are not the causes of pimples.

That some people live out in the open with mosquitoes and never get malaria does not mean mosquitoes does not cause malaria.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Finstar: 7:18am On Oct 19, 2017
What causes pimples? I think if we can answer this question, we'll be able to know how this can be abated. Pimple is usually caused when the pores in your skin gets blocked as a result of dirt or bacteria.. I for example have been battling with pimple, perhaps from my mother's womb, I don't even know when it began..

Lots of people said it's caused by groundnut. Even after stopping it, it didn't improve my skin condition. Believe me, my face was the roughest skin on earth and it really affected my self esteem.. The worst is the black spots.. There's no skin cream that I didn't use.. It was depressing.

HOW DID I MANAGE TO DEAL WITH IT?

If you're to see me right now, you'll probably call me a model cause my face is the smoothest in town, with cute pink lips.. wink Now let me tell you how I did it

1. Stop using sponge to wash your face.. You only make it worst cause your skin will get inflammed and as thus, worsen your condition.

2. Stop picking the pimples. This might seem hard, but try.. Your hand is a house to bacteria, touching your face often isn't really a wise decision.

3. Wash your face two times a day, in the morning around 8am, and evening, around 4pm. When washing your face, don't use sponge.. Take a soap, run it on your face. Treat it like an egg always.. Don't scrub to avoid having your skin inflammed. Use your hand and do the job.

Lemme repeat this again, STOP picking those pimples.. Stop touching your face....

Do this and you'll tag me soon for a testimony[/b]

Visit www.entmirror.com, let's talk about business, not pimples grin

11 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by NaijaMutant(f): 7:18am On Oct 19, 2017
ok
Hashimyussufamao:
some pimples are thick enough be a house pillar grin #meanwhile the simple logic to pimples applying early morning toothpaste it's a cheat!!

You still want to add your own unverified myth abi ?

Pimples or acne has no cure

it just comes and goes on its own.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by kay29000(m): 7:18am On Oct 19, 2017
I can remember my teen years and early twenties, i had so much pimples on my face, i thought my face was going to be like that forever.

Then one ASUU strike was overstretching and i decided to hit the gym, and when i got back to school, i had girls all over me like i was a new student from America or something. I had built muscles, but much more than that, the pimples had disappeared.

I can't say if the exercises made them go away though, but it was like a miracle.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Iddossam: 7:20am On Oct 19, 2017
This is monkey pox and not pimples......
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by ORACLE1975(m): 7:20am On Oct 19, 2017
what i dont believe it/
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Promismike(m): 7:21am On Oct 19, 2017
Rubbing Sperm on the face cures pimples.

Some ladies believed this. grin

4 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Arian11(m): 7:22am On Oct 19, 2017
whats the difference between pimples and our brothers from the north ..... pimples wait until you're older than fourteen before it "comes" on your face

3 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by pweshboi(m): 7:22am On Oct 19, 2017
simple original skineal will do the trick...

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Murainah1(m): 7:23am On Oct 19, 2017
What is up there gidi gan
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Generalkaycee(m): 7:24am On Oct 19, 2017
When I was in Secondary school, I earned the pimple award back to back..

3 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by GeneralOjukwu: 7:24am On Oct 19, 2017
Promismike:
Rubbing Sperm on the face cures pimples.

Some ladies believed this. grin

YUCK!.... a girl actually asked me to cure her acne that way. I involuntarily volunteered (intentional wordplay) embarassed embarassed embarassed

4 Likes

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by ignis: 7:24am On Oct 19, 2017
With all due respects, I completely disagree with all the points noted. I have a contrary opinion.
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by netflicks(m): 7:25am On Oct 19, 2017
Iddossam:
This is monkey pox and not pimples......

Lol.. .. cheesy
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by fbtowner(m): 7:25am On Oct 19, 2017
Fine boy no pimples. That’s me tongue

1 Like

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by ekmike(m): 7:27am On Oct 19, 2017
I develop acne after taking fried ground nut. Yeah, I had to reduce my intake but when I can't resist it I take it and apply my ointment when its breaks out, cos it must appear
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by NgHealth(m): 7:27am On Oct 19, 2017
Nice Article. When it comes to our health there are so many myths that often times prove not to be naturally healthy but posts like this one is what is needed to help with clarity.
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by tunde37(m): 7:27am On Oct 19, 2017
like seriously I also don't agree with that 1st point, I always have pimples on my face and chest when I eat anything oily especially Grandnut
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by Kizyte(m): 7:27am On Oct 19, 2017
If you really want to be emancipated from pimples, don't clean your face with your hands when you sweat, use a clean handkerchief.

Best cream for you is Lemon Fresh (Lotion) especially for fair people. Beware of fake, buy from a good Super-Store.

See my DP for evidence.

2 Shares

Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by NicoBaba(m): 7:27am On Oct 19, 2017
pweshboi:
simple original skineal will do the trick...
I like d Original u inserted in ur reply
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by fxbking: 7:28am On Oct 19, 2017
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by netflicks(m): 7:29am On Oct 19, 2017
Someone with so much pimple...U see people avoiding that person because they might think it's monkey pox.. .. cheesy grin
Re: 3 Myths On Pimples You Believe But Are Not True by joyfullyjoyous(f): 7:29am On Oct 19, 2017
Used to have pimples but when I met Alhaja at Ilupeju years ago and asked what I could use, she recommended an aftershave solution which cleared all. Can't remember the name but I know it's in a white container and she sold it for N1500 then. Imagine that an aftershave solution...It had no side effect.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Common Mistakes You Probably Make In The Bathroom / Remdesivir: Trump Wants FDA To Quicken Its Approval For COVID -19 Treatment / Mentally Challenged Man Smoking Weed By Roadside In Ibadan (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.