Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

On Nairaland, Seun And Freedom Of Expression - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On Nairaland, Seun And Freedom Of Expression (640 Views)

Sahara Reporters UNSURE Of Imformation Hitting Headlines On Nairaland, Seun / Another Injustice In Nairaland, Seun Why? / Nairaland's Seun Osewa Make Forbes List Of Best 30 Under 30 Ceos (2) (3) (4)

(1)

On Nairaland, Seun And Freedom Of Expression by Ellyptical: 2:25pm On Mar 14, 2010
Seun and Nairalanders,

there appears to be some form of schism on nairaland between the posters who apparently oppose the idea of one Nigeria and the moderators (Seun inclusive) who are vehemently against it.
Take a look at this thread :

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-412994.0.html

After reading the thread, I observed that the typical domineering, dictatorial nature of the typical African dictator may be lurking even exposed, polished young people in this internet age, that are expected to be messiahs of the Nigeria that they fastidiously cling to. Again, I went ahead asked myself a few questions.

1) Would Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook shut a thread because the opinions of the posters are not in direct sympathy with his?
2) If I were to create a group today on hi5 or some other online forum that viciously insults the creator of hi5, would he shut the group down?
2) Does the fact that a person created an online forum mean that every one must fall into his line of reasoning?

While I am known on this forum for a logical and constructive approach to issues it is still worthwhile to note that I am not in anyway trying to insult Seun.

I read a pathetic feeble effort by Kosovo to defend the a glaring infringement in freedom of expression by the administrators of the forum. An extract from it is copied below :

"2. Seun has the right to do what so ever he deemed right to the forum, especially when it's against the spirit of the Forum, the privileges of the Administrator is well documented and contained in the Act of an Administrator."

With respect to kosovo's statement, I see a person who pays allegiance to a senior authority simply because he has been placed in some form of seat of power forgetting that with power comes the responsibility to question the issues that the power is used upon.
I asked myself again
1) If Kosovo were to be one of YarAdua's men, would he have been bold enough to tell YarAdua to resign in the face of obvious incapacitation? Or would he (like Aondoakaa) have told us that 'The decision to transmit to the senate was a matter of the president's choice and that he can rule from anywhere'?
I see a mini YarAdua saga playing out on the forum and men and brethren, the responses from the so-called younger generation are not in anyway encouraging.

The most shameful aspect of Kosovo's retort was when he justified the recent actions of using the admin privileges to subdue opposing views by drawing an analogy with the 'obnoxious government policies' that Channels TV fell victim to. In his opinion, if the government could bully channels TV, why can't Seun ban any thread that opposes his views?
L+G, we have moderators telling us that 'after all, as powerful as channels was, they were bullied by the government! . . .the future is bleak with the crop of youths we have today! This is a clear case of justifying and wrong action with another worse action.

Seun, Once again remember this. An online forum is a discussion board. Rules and moderation can be put in place. But in no way is it right to use the power of ownership to attack or subdue discussions that do not fall into your own viewpoint.
You know, it may show to some extent that if you were to be some governor or president tomorrow and the masses protest against you, you may resort to the use of power withing your confines to forcefully subdue the voice of the people. Young lad, that is the painful and bitter truth. In the United States, I can go on TV and tell everyone why Obama is the wrongest person ever and still walk home free. It is called freedom
If Yourself cannot exhibit the mature, first-class democracy style leadership in the small country you run (Nairaland) then what do you even have to offer to the One Nigeria that you profess?

The future is bleak dudes . . .so bleak. The fellows fighting to keep the nation together do no even have the character to lead us in the western style democracy that we all long for.

I am not against the recent moderation of language and the substitution of profane words for milder ones. That is the whole idea of decency. Substituting the words while retaining the message. But the idea of trying to substitute idea and the message? Dang! Again, it's unfortunate that like YarAdua, Seun is surrounded by people who may be seen by some as shallow-minded. People whose defence for their bosses wrong action is to ask whether we know how he suffered to build the forum.

Read My Lips Seun . . . Continue to meddle with freedom of expression and watch yourself create the fall of a forum you laboured had to create.
Ask Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook on this issue. If his advice to you on this issue is way out of mine, do then as you please on any post you come across on you forum.

Obrigado.
Re: On Nairaland, Seun And Freedom Of Expression by Seun(m): 2:28pm On Mar 14, 2010
Na wah oh.  What's all this? Anyway, I'm happy to take the heat for the sake of peace.  I just hope people can remember that human lives are more important than whether or not a poll was reset.  I'm sorry if I hindered your efforts to promote the break up of my dear country. Over and out.

(1)

How U Sure Yar'adua Is Alive? / Oshiomhole @ 57:i Never Thought I Could Be Governor ! / New (acting) Inec Boss Lists Priorities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.