Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,349 members, 7,819,246 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent (4214 Views)

How To Find The Right Real Estate Agent For Your Needs In Las Vegas / Get Help From The Right Real Estate Broker / Lady Scammed By Fake Estate Agent In Lagos Shares Her Victory Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 22, 2017
Finding the right agent takes balancing credentials and chemistry. You want to choose someone you like—after all, you might spend the next six months working together. But your agent also needs to be able to safeguard your financial interests.

“You want somebody trustworthy who you can rely on,” says Ryan Fitzpatrick, director of sales for CORE, a boutique real estate agency in New York. A good agent, he says, will listen carefully to your priorities and won’t waste time on properties that don’t fit the bill.

Don’t just call the first agent whose lawn sign you see. Ask friends and family members for references (and check them!). Interview at least three agents to find the one with the experience, skill and personality that matches your needs.
Most experts recommend five or more years experience—which is not to say that someone with less can’t do a good job. Sometimes less experience means a smaller client base, which translates into more attention for you. Make sure the agent is licensed by the state and does the job full-time; about half of all agents are designated Realtors, which means they belong to the National Association of Realtors and agree to abide by NAR’s stringent code of ethics.

Real estate is a local game, and to win you need someone who plays in the areas where you’re looking to buy. Not only will they be up on market trends, they’ll know about local schools, commute times, and under-the-radar red flags, like the solid-waste transfer station that’s been proposed for the neighborhood.Inquire about what’s currently on the market in your price range; they should be able to rattle off a few properties. And ask for a list of houses they’ve handled in your target neighborhood that includes not just what the house sold for, but also the price at which it was originally listed.

Culled from http://time.com/money/2792050/how-to-choose-a-real-estate-agent/

4 Likes

Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 22, 2017
Lalasticlala
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 22, 2017
Awesome
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Flirtyjane(f): 8:38pm On Oct 22, 2017
havillaplus:
Lalasticlala
Real estate is the next goldmine
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Yeyegist(f): 7:11am On Oct 23, 2017
Today everyone just open a small shop and get small listed properties claiming to be an agent.
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by newsentryportal: 7:14am On Oct 23, 2017
Many agents see other agents as their enemies in Nigeria. They don't mind stealing your clients or deceiving them with lies about you.

1 Like

Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 23, 2017
newsentryportal:
Many agents see other agents as their enemies in Nigeria. They don't mind stealing your clients or deceiving them with lies about you.

You are partially not wrong, there is always competition in every business. But healthy competition is the best.
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by NwaAmaikpe: 7:36am On Oct 23, 2017
shocked
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by AburoBuhari: 7:36am On Oct 23, 2017
k
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Lapeywilliams(m): 7:54am On Oct 23, 2017
Hundreds Of Acres Of Good Virgin Land Available In Iyana-Offa After Airforce Secondary School ,Lagelu L.G.A. Ibadan.

There Is Good Road Network To The Farm.

You Can Pay On Installment When You Buy From 10 Acres And Above.

Price Is N250,000/Acre.
For More Enquiries, Contact Mr. Sholape @ +2348060424589, +2348020626259.
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Sunshyne200(m): 8:09am On Oct 23, 2017
Estate investment Is the next future, as it's development and value appreciates more than 1000% in 5years or more, especially with a reputable estate firm.
understand that, Nigeria is a developing country, with one of the highest population density per square metres, in the world.

if you need more clarity or information and would love to get an estate land for investment, residential or commercial purpose in Abuja, Lagos, Oyo, Ogun and Osun, you can reach me at

invest today, and secure your families future.
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by tobillionaire(m): 8:19am On Oct 23, 2017
soft
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by davodyguy: 8:21am On Oct 23, 2017
Yeyegist:
Today everyone just open a small shop and get small listed properties claiming to be an agent.

We call them quacks or Charlatans.

There is just one body that certifies Estate Surveyors and Valuers. That body id Estate Surveyors and Valuers Registration Board of Nigeria (Esvarbon)

In order to be certified, you must have HND or BSC in Estate Management in any higher Institution of learning, approved by the board, thereafter after Graduation, you will serve the nation for one year.

Upon completion of service, you would write professional exams, write a thesis/project, defend the thesis, pass and then be certified to practice Real Estate advisory services.

Anything short of the above, is anomaly and quackery.
Can you become a lawyer without studying law at the university and being called to the Bar?

Same applies in the noble profession.
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by davodyguy: 8:27am On Oct 23, 2017
havillaplus:

You are partially not wrong, there is always competition in every business. But healthy competition is the best.

Competition with quacks?

Joke of the century
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by HomesOfLife(m): 8:40am On Oct 23, 2017
At Babs Realty, we put our Clients' interest first always. With our fleet of cars to take you round for viewing, you're sure of a luxurious property scouting experience with us. Call Us today and be glad you did.
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 23, 2017
davodyguy:

Competition with quacks?

Joke of the century

You seem not to understand the market much, even if you have the knowledge. I would have cited some examples but I chose to keep identities privacy.

Even the professional and licensed agents (realtors) practised high enmity among themselves. Many of them will even implore lawyers to deceived prospective clients from patronizing you.

1 Like

Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by davodyguy: 8:46am On Oct 23, 2017
havillaplus:

You seem not to understand the market much, even if you have the knowledge. I would have cited some examples but I chose to keep identities privacy.

Even the professional and licensed agents (realtors) practised high enmity among themselves. Many of them will even implore lawyers to deceived prospective clients from patronizing you.

I understand the market and the market I understand is of international standards.

What I mean is that, there's no competition between a PROFESSIONAL and a quack(local agents)
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 23, 2017
davodyguy:

What I mean is that, there's no competition between a PROFESSIONAL and a quack(local agents)

OK. Noted. I agree with that also.
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by wura2020: 10:15am On Oct 23, 2017
davodyguy:

I understand the market and the market I understand is of international standards.

What are the duties of an estate manager? When a tenant refuses to pay his rent and the matter gets to the court, who hires and pay legal fees. Landlord or the estate agent?
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by davodyguy: 10:40am On Oct 23, 2017
wura2020:

What are the duties of an estate manager? When a tenant refuses to pay his rent and the matter gets to the court, who hires and pay legal fees. Landlord or the estate agent?

Larinlordu. (Landlord)

As a Real Estate consultant, my duties are clear under the LFN. Landlord's representation in interfacing with the tenants. My Principal should be in his office, whilst I'll do the running around at a cost
Re: How To Choose The Right Real Estate Agent by planetx13: 11:30am On Oct 23, 2017
Our family is looking to sell our large expanse of land in delta State . Land is located along Benin - asaba express road , Aniocha south local government Area of delta State, just about 10mins drive from Asaba main town . (638
hectares in total ) It's along the Benin-Asaba express way. *100% security guaranteed. *No hassles or village youths/elders problems. *Amiable and very hospitable community. *Easily accessible. *Well secured. *Availability
of labor and workforce on demand . *Surrounded by rapidly developing areas. * Confirmation of property is available at the Local government Price- 2 million per
hectare ( Negotiable) *Titles include Survey plan, deed of conveyance, C of O. We are open to outright sales, sales in parts and partnership. For enquiries and inspection, Contact me 09080950214, 08126939687

(1) (Reply)

Buy A Duplex House At Oke afa Isolo For N18m / When To Use Raft Foundation / City View Estate Arepo......price:3.8m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.