Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,160 members, 7,821,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K (590 Views)

Davido Stops Police From Harassing Taxify Passenger / See The Funny Letter Written To Kiss Daniel By An Angry Babcock Student (pix) / 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K by Realslimshady(m): 7:23am On Oct 23, 2017
LONDON — A letter written by one of the Titanic’s
passengers a day before the ocean liner sank has
sold for $166,000 at an auction in England.
The handwritten note, on embossed Titanic
stationery, was penned by first-class passenger
Alexander Oskar Holverson on April 13, 1912 — the
day before the ship hit an iceberg and sank in the
North Atlantic, killing more than 1,500 onboard.
Holverson, a salesman, was on the Titanic with his
wife, Mary. He had intended to post it to his mother
when they arrived in New York.
Auction house Henry Aldridge & Son, which
specializes in Titanic memorabilia, said Saturday
the letter was “the most important Titanic letter we
have ever auctioned” because of its content,
historical context and rarity.
In the letter, addressed to “My dear Mother” and
stained with saltwater marks, Holverson described
the Titanic as “a giant in size and fitted up like a
palatial hotel.” He added: “The food and drink is
excellent.”
In a poignant line, he also wrote: “If all goes well
we will arrive in New York Wednesday AM.”
The letter, one of the last known to have been
written on board by the disaster’s victims, was
found in Holverson’s pocket notebook when his
body was recovered. It was later sent to his family.
His wife survived the disaster, Aldridge said.

nypost.com/2017/10/22/titanic-passengers-letter-written-day-before-ship-sank-sells-for-166k/

Re: Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 23, 2017
Chai. Those victims though....

Please I have letters written exactly a day before these operations for auction:
Ebola epidemic
Python dance
Crocodile smile
Monkeypox
Military immunisation race

Even my father has one written equally a day before the civil war broke out in 1967

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K by Samsimple(m): 7:36am On Oct 23, 2017
166k kehhh, i will download the letter with at least 600kb mtcheeww yeye dey smell
Re: Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K by thesicilian: 7:53am On Oct 23, 2017
Sexy20:
Chai. Those victims though....

Please I have letters written before the these operation for auction:
Ebola epidemic
Python dance
Crocodile smile
Monkeypox
Military immunisation race

Even my father has one written exactly a day before the civil war broke out in 1967
Lol.
You can only sell those in countries that they have "chopped belleful", not in Nigeria here or anywhere else in Africa for that matter, where the main thought on most people's minds is how to get the next meal.

2 Likes

Re: Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K by AliHandsome(m): 7:54am On Oct 23, 2017
166k for letter that is not addressed to you? ok lemme come and be going
Re: Titanic Passenger’s Letter Written Day Before Ship Sank Sells For $166K by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 23, 2017
thesicilian:

Lol.
You can only sell those in countries that they have "chopped belleful", not in Nigeria here or anywhere else in Africa for that matter, where the main thought on most people's minds is how to get the next meal.

grin grin grin yea u r right but there s someone out there, whose somebody's monthly salary is his children's daily pocket money.....
Who knows? They might want to buy my letters grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

WATCH: It’s OK If My Wife Cheats – IK Ogbonna / Oya Hot Banger!! Olamide Escober Track List Is Out / My Mum Takes Care Of Stubborn Male Fans For Me’ – Regina Daniels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.