Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,684 members, 7,831,121 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? (1855 Views)

Enugu Demolitions: Three Persons Dead After Walls Collapsed On Them / Help Me Before Termites Collapse My Building / Wall Screeding With Ready Mix Putty and painting pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by nickxtra(m): 12:56pm On Oct 23, 2017
Builders and Engineers in the house, kindly advise me over this:
I just moved into my new 2 bedroom flat with a BQ self contain, somewhere in Abuja.

I started building the said house when I had little or no experience on the best practices to apply when building a house. That meant that the foundation might not be as strong as it should and there was no German floor.

Since i moved in a few months back, I discovered the walls soaks, causing both the interior painting and external walls to peel.

Although, I intend to tile the external walls to the window level, as well as flooring the surroundings of the building. I also intend to cast pillars to the body of the walls right from the foundation level to support the foundation and the walls.

My worries/questions:
1. Will the above measures reduce the effects of water on the walls?

2. Is there anything I can do to re-enforce the building which would give support to the walls and the foundation of the building?

Or what best do I do to minimize the effect of water on the walls and also to re-enforce the walls/foundation of the building?
Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by Oluwasaeon(m): 1:14pm On Oct 23, 2017
Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by onward4life(m): 1:31pm On Oct 23, 2017
nickxtra:
I just moved into my new 2 bedroom flat with a BQ self contain, somewhere in Abuja.

I started building the said house when I had little or no experience on the best practices to apply when building a house. That meant that the foundation might not be as strong as it should and there was no German floor.

Since i moved in a few months back, I discovered the walls soaks, causing both the interior painting and external walls to peel.

Although, I intend to tile the external walls to the window level, as well as flooring the surroundings of the building. I also intend to cast pillars to the body of the walls right from the foundation level to support the foundation and the walls.

My worries/questions:

2. Is there anything I can do to re-enforce the building which would give support to the walls and the foundation of the building?

Or what best do I do to minimize the effect of water on the walls and also to re-enforce the walls/foundation of the building?

That's Abuja soil 4yu

Just install tiles from ground to 4feet(waist line) inside and out side the building!

Enjoy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by nickxtra(m): 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2017
onward4life:

That's Abuja soil 4yu

Just install tiles from ground to 4feet(waist line) inside and out side the building!

Enjoy!
Thank you.
Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by doctorgold(m): 2:19pm On Oct 23, 2017
nickxtra:

My worries/questions:

the problem is foundation badly done.
You need to understand that corrective measures in buildings are usually more expensive than doing the right thing in the first place. IT'S one thing to be worried about water seepage, it's another things to be ready to put the corrective measures in place. Provided your building has columns supporting the walls, solution is to introduce water proof membrane along the walls. A process that requires you to crack open the walls. This disallows further upward movement of water from the soil.

Using tiles does not come as a permanent solution to this problem in my opinion and it distorts the visual effect of your interior space.

2 Likes

Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by nickxtra(m): 4:54pm On Oct 23, 2017
doctorgold:

the problem is foundation badly done.
You need to understand that corrective measures in buildings are usually more expensive than doing the right thing in the first place. IT'S one thing to be worried about water seepage, it's another things to be ready to put the corrective measures in place. Provided your building has columns supporting the walls, solution is to introduce water proof membrane along the walls. A process that requires you to crack open the walls. This disallows further upward movement of water from the soil.

Using tiles does not come as a permanent solution to this problem in my opinion and it distorts the visual effect of your interior space.
Thank you very much. Does the badly done foundation poses a serious threat to the building?
Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by wura2020: 5:23pm On Oct 23, 2017
nickxtra:
Thank you very much. Does the badly done foundation poses a serious threat to the building?

I don't think it has anything to do with a bad foundation. My bricklayer claims it is mostly due to the type of plastering sand available in Abuja area. My house and several others at CBN Estate sufferers that same fate. What I did was to use crack tiles round the house. Two weeks ago when I went for inspection, the paints used for the inside fence have started gathering mould and in some places peeling off.

5 Likes

Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by nickxtra(m): 6:41pm On Oct 23, 2017
wura2020:

I don't think it has anything to do with a bad foundation. My bricklayer claims it is mostly due to the type of plastering sand available in Abuja area. My house and several others at CBN Estate sufferers that same fate. What I did was to use crack tiles round the house. Two weeks ago when I went for inspection, the paints used for the inside fence have started gathering mould and in some places peeling off.
Same claims I have been hearing, that waters soaks Abuja sand easily, but I doubt if its entirely true.
Re: The Walls Of My Building Soaks And Painting Peels! What Do I Do? by OCTAVO: 5:57pm On Dec 02, 2018
Very common issue.

(1) (Reply)

​understanding Land Sizes And Measurement​ / Properties For Rent/sale At Morogbo Agbara--lagos Side / 770sqm @ Anthony Village & 3 &6 Plots along Oshodi-apapa Express Rd all Wit Cofo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.