Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,357 members, 7,815,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Public Speaking - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Public Speaking (657 Views)

ASUU: No Regret Stopping Gowon, Soyinka From Speaking At Uniabuja Event / Professor Wendy Osefo Racially Attacked For Speaking Against Racism In US / Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Public Speaking by Dzeph1: 7:57pm On Oct 23, 2017
The Making of a Research

Research has to do with correct words of truth, accuracy and arrangement in logical order.

It is a careful search for information about a particular matter, which includes reading, requiring the application of the principles of study. Research May also involve interview, getting general opinion through questionnaires etc.

Whereby you are assigned to give a talk or presentation on a topic that seems quite general; it may be a topic you have presented overtime or familiar with, but the question is, How can you apply it locally? To do this research comes into play when you try getting information, statistics or example that fits the material and that touches the lives of those in your audience.

The published material you may be working with may have been prepared with a general perspective, for readers worldwide, but you need to amplify, illustrate and apply the points therein to your current audience. Consider your audience before going in search of information.

What knowledge about the topic do they already know?
Whatdo they need to know?
Possibly many in your​ audience have had knowledge about the topic, you need to research and prepare it in a way that they sees the need for the information you are dispensing; it could be taking it from another standpoint or perspective which relates to the topic, it needs to be clear. The basic facts may be understood, there is a need for expansion on when and how to do what is stated. You will be convincing when reasons are given outlining why a thing is so with EVIDENCE. - Explaning.

A thorough understanding of both sides of an issue along with careful analysis of evidence used. It is not to be an argument, but presenting the facts kindly. - Refuting

You need to reach the heart, that is, giving your audience incentive and build their desire to act on what is been discussed. Real life examples of those who have taken​ such action can help reach the heart. - Motivating

How much information do you need and how much time do you have to do this? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 20 minutes? 30 minutes? Is the time fixed or flexible? - Time

Finally, What research tools are available to you? You may have some materials at hand or home, in addition, Are there more you can get? From the library, online or reference books?

Research Tools

There are a lot or research tools especially online where we can get needed information, some are

Google.com
Bing.com -  a search engine that offers products and services as google.
Quora.com - A community with replies from a wide variety of contributors, or you can choose from similar queries previously asked.
vimeo.com - An alternative to google and YouTube combined..
Yandex.com - A Russian portal offering similar products and services as google
Boardreader.com - Gives results of different points of view away from the major publication from forums, message board and Reddit.
Wolframalpha.com - a computational knowledge engine that calculates any data.
Ixquick.com - a search engine that stores none of your details and uses no cookies..
Ask.com - ask Jeeves; a search engine that gives information in Q & A formatwith other popular searches on the right hand side
SlideShare.com - information​from presentations, slides decks, webinar and missed info for not attending a seminar.
Creativecommons.org - CC search; where you find copyright free images for your website.
Maintain Personal Files

Be alert to items that are of personal interest that can be useful when speaking or teaching. It could be in a newspaper, a magazine, A news item, statistics or practical examples, get the information by copying; include date, title, name of author or publisher, jot down reasoning points and illustrations that may be useful in explaining the point.

PEOPLE

People are one of the rich source of information we can ever have, they may be eyewitnesses on a matter, have firsthand information from the source or have had experiences relating to the topic.

All information you may have gotten are from people except that of the holy books which are from the highest source, they are also conveyed to us through people too. So make good use of this rich source.

Evaluation on Research

Before your research is ready for use, evaluation comes in, separating the valuable part from the superfluous.

Ask the following:

Does the point I plan to use really contribute something worthwhile to my presentation of the subject?
Does it tend to divert attention from the subject that I ought to be presenting because it is interesting?
Does my experience with someone in the audience make me use the information I have as an avenue to correct or expose him/her?
Is my information practically applicable to my audience?
You can get the most out of making a good research before any presentation to avoid pressure

For greatest rewards

Prepare your heart - Thorough preparation is needed and feel what you have to say inside of you.
Preview the study material - If you were given a material to work on, have a thorough look into it to know how to go about it.
Isolate important facts - From the material given, note and pick out important points that you will work on.
Consider reason for statements made - In the material there are statements that are meant for consideration which should not be overlooked
Review the main points
Meditate on how what you are presenting influences you
Seek opportunities to use the material to help others - Through chatting or family discussions
www.zade.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

Uniport's Approved Academic Calender For 2017/2018 Session / UNIBEN 2017/2018 Admission List Released. / FUNAAB Part-time Degree Programmes Form Is On Sales For 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.