Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,661 members, 7,816,698 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Ikechukwu Uche Is Back - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ikechukwu Uche Is Back (1267 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike Vs Ikechukwu Uche: Who Should Start For Nigeria ? / Keshi Resumes; Recalls Ikechukwu Uche For Remaining AFCON Qualifiers / Ikechukwu Uche Rubbishes Keshi Claim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by hollandis(f): 10:43am On Mar 15, 2010
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/soccerstar/2010/mar/15/soccerstar-15-03-2010-002.htm

Ike Uche invites Lagerback to Spain
By EPHRAIM NWOSU
Monday, March 15, 2010

Photo: Sun News Publishing

Index

Recuperating Real Zaragoza striker, Ikechukwu Uche, has challenged new Super Eagles coach, Lars Lagerback, to come to his base in Spain and assess his fitness level for the World Cup.

Speaking exclusively to SoccerStar on phone from Spain, Uche said he wants the coach to come to Spain and see him if he doubts his chances of making his 23-man squad to the World Cup.
“I have advanced to the final stage of my rehabilitation. I have been jumping, running and kicking the ball in the past few weeks, and I hope to start playing for Real Zaragoza very soon. For my own interest, it’s good I prepare very very well before storming the pitch. It has to be a gradual process and not something you rush into,” he pointed out.

“One thing is to be fit and another thing is for the coach to use me. Seeing is believing so Lagerback should come to Spain and confirm for himself if he really needs my services or at least give me a phone call so that I will give him a load down of the situation report about me.”

The former Iwuanyanwu Nationale and Getafe striker insisted that contrary to recent press reports about his uncertainty of playing at the World Cup, he would be as fit as fiddle for the competition, if Lagerback beams his searchlight on him.

“Honestly, the news coming from home is worrisome. The coach should not depend on press reports to confirm my fitness level. For instance, I never spoke with anybody that I will start playing on May 14. It’s just a rumour because I have been assured by my doctor that I will start playing before then. By the grace of God I will be available for the World Cup if the coach invites me to the camp,” he reassured.
Uche, 24, was Nigeria’s top scorer during the World Cup campaign banging in six goals. He missed the last two games against the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia and the Harambee Stars of Kenya.
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by mrperfect(m): 12:01pm On Mar 15, 2010
Glad to know is back
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by candylips(m): 12:51pm On Mar 15, 2010
we need this guy badly for the world cup
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by galatico(m): 1:17pm On Mar 15, 2010
Thank God Ik Uche is back, I just hope he's back at his best!!!
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by yemmight(m): 4:10pm On Mar 20, 2010
Good to hear.
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by azeeza(f): 11:48am On Mar 21, 2010
That goal he scored against equitorial guinea was a memorable one.we need such goals from you bro in S.A.good luck
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by deb(m): 3:50pm On Mar 22, 2010
He was greatly missed at the Nation's cup. I hope he is in back in form. It will be great to have him at the world cup
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by Katsumoto: 1:45pm On Mar 24, 2010
Goodnews but hope he is at least half-fit for the WC; a half-fit Uche is better than that fat and arrogant Yakubu.
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by hollandis(f): 7:52am On Mar 25, 2010
Katsumoto:

Goodnews but hope he is at least half-fit for the WC; a half-fit Uche is better than that fat and arrogant Yakubu.
True
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by FBS: 7:54am On Mar 26, 2010
Uche available for Zaragoza

Nigerian striker Ikechukwu Uche has passed the final test in his quest to return to La Liga action - by resuming training with the Real Zaragoza first team on Thursday.

The 26-year-old has been out of action since September 12 after damaging the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in Real Zaragoza's 4-1 loss to Sevilla in a Spanish League encounter.

Uche showed no ill-effects in his first major training session with the likes of Jermaine Pennant, Adrián Colunga, Jiří Jarošík, Humberto Suazo and others.

Nigeria’s top scorer during the World Cup qualifier despite missing the final two matches, Uche underwent surgery to fix his left knee and was recently given the go-ahead to resume full training.

The handful of Zaragoza fans who came to the training ground to watch the Nigerian, saw him employ his trademark series of powerful runs and deft flicks to terrorise the opposing half.

But Uche has played down the entire noise surrounding his return: "It was great fun playing alongside my team-mates again," he told KickOffNigeria.com after the training session.

"I feel fine," he said. "It's obvious I'm still not 100%, but after the training I feel less worried about the future.

"I am grateful to my club, teammates, club fans, every Nigerian out there including my national team-mates because they have all stood by me.

"I had fun with everyone and we even worked on some neat one-twos together."

The former Recreativo Huelva and Getafe player admitted the training had been little more than a practice session, but said it had still provided a valuable test of his fitness.

"Now I gradually feel the sharpness after several endurance, physical and mental training sessions.

Although he was happy with his first showing, Uche would not set a date for his competitive comeback.

"There's no timetable or deadline. I'll be back when I'm ready and not before," he told KickOffNigeria.com.

"The coach will decide and not me because I am just one of the players, but I am glad the coach and my team-mates are happy to have me around," he said.

However, the smile and laughter quickly disappeared when asked if he actually met with Nigeria new manager Lars Lagerback as reported by a Nigerian sports daily.

"I wonder where these people get such lies and terrible stories from," Uche lashed out.

"I only met NFF president Sani Lulu here in Spain and we had talks about the future and the new coach.

"And suddenly I hear and read that I met with the coach here in Spain. Sadly the man was never here and people are taking words from me that I met Lars Lagerback.

"I even read that I asked him to come and see me, that I will not be fit until May and other terrible things.

I just hope people would clarify or speak directly to me before writing lies and sad things. It’s a shame because I think the people and fans deserve to know the truth."

http://www.kickoff.com/news/14586/uche-available-for-zaragoza.php
Re: Ikechukwu Uche Is Back by mykali(m): 11:45am On Mar 26, 2010
the best news i've heard in a while. cheesy
i always wondered what woulda been our fate if Ik was on the pitch instead of ''Fatubu'' grin

i'm glad he's back. hope he stays fit though.
some Spanish devils might want to do more damage.

(1) (Reply)

Mourinho 'rejected World Record Salary' / Picture Of Female Nigerian Boxer - Is She Really 22 Years?? / 2HP Treadmill With Massager and Adidas Trainers @ N190,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.