Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

10 Questions To Ask Before Buying Or Renting A Property In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 10 Questions To Ask Before Buying Or Renting A Property In Nigeria (701 Views)

Renting A House? 5 Things To Consider / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Abuja | Co-tenant / Cost Of Renting A 1 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos | Co-tenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Questions To Ask Before Buying Or Renting A Property In Nigeria by OlugbemiJohn(m): 10:12am On Oct 25, 2017
Having lived in several cities in Nigeria, and having been involved in real estate marketing for a while, the hassle and stress involved in trying to rent or buy properties in Nigeria is not new to me. Daily, I interact with clients who have varying demands, and most often, these demands have to be met. I have had to also answer unending questions at ungodly hours from clients who are about to commit their savings into buying or renting a property.

If you live in Nigeria and you are about to buy or rent a property, you may need to ask the following questions as they may go a long way in helping you make a more informed decision and safeguard your investment.

1. Does the property have the proper approval?
When you intend to buy or rent a property, it is important to find out if the property has a building approval and title documents. It is also important to find out if the property has been built on a land that is meant for that purpose. This is one sure way of not just securing your investment or hard earned money, but also ensuring your peace of mind. In 2012, Minanuel Estate, an investment of over 10 billion naira and involving 500 families was demolished in Abuja. This avoidable incident no doubt caused untold hardship on the affected families.

2. How secure is the location of the property?
There are several advantages attached to buying or renting a property in a secure location. Nobody wants to live in a neighborhood that is constantly being attacked by petty thieves and robbers. Nobody wants to live in a neighborhood where you wake up to go to work with your vehicle only to find out that the battery has disappeared. It is important you find out how secure the neighborhood is from people living there. Find out what the various measures taken by the neighborhood to protect people’s lives and properties. Buying or renting a home in a secure location will go a long way in helping you go about your daily activities with peace of mind.

3. How close is the nearest market or shopping mall to the property?
It is not convenient when you have to walk or drive a distance to get something as little as a razor blade, toothbrush or toothpaste. You may not know how frustrating this may be until you have experienced it, most especially if you are new within the neighborhood. Having a market or shopping mall close to where you intend to buy or rent a property is a plus as this will save you the stress of having to drive or walk long distances to get something as simple as toiletries.

4. How close is it to the nearest hospital or healthcare center to the property?
Having a healthcare center or hospital close to the neighborhood where you intend to buy or rent a home is an added advantage. The hospital or healthcare center may not be up to the standard you want, but trust me, this hospital or healthcare center will come be useful in the middle of the night and during emergencies when first aid treatment needs to be urgently administered.

5. How effective is the drainage system where the property is located?
Buying or renting a property could turn out to be a disaster if the place where the property is located is prone to flooding. Most often, I ask people to inspect the property they intend to buy during the rainy season. This gives you a clear perspective of the actual state of the property. If you are comfortable with what the house looks like in the middle of the rainy season, it shows you are about to make a good decision. There is no point buying or renting a property when you have to move out your belongings during the rainy season because of flooding. Damp internal walls, algae growing on the external walls, leaking roof, smell of dampness, etc. may just be a pointer for you to have a rethink. It is also important to note that people contribute to flooding when they dump rubbish directly into water passages.

6. Are there legal issues surrounding the property?
Buying or renting a property that is in dispute or have legal issues surrounding it is not a wise path to tow. Most often, sign posts are put up asking buyers to stay away from such property, but in most cases also, those signs are removed by unscrupulous individuals who want to quickly cash in on the potential buyer’s ignorance. Once your mind is made up with regards to the property you intend to buy or rent, it will be wise to simply ask people who live around the neighborhood. Ask for all the documents and have a lawyer take a proper look at them. Asking why a house is up for sale or rent may also not be a bad idea.

7. How reliable is power supply around where the property is located?
Though power supply is gradually improving in Nigeria, there are still some areas that go for weeks and months without electricity. If you do not have the financial capability to afford an inverter or solar system that can power all your appliances, it will be helpful to find out how reliable power supply is within the neighborhood that you intend to buy or rent a property. There is really nothing as frustrating as a living in a neighborhood that experiences unending power supply challenges.

8. How serene is the location of the property?
If given a choice, very few people will want to buy or rent a property in an area that is known for noise. Having a serene place to come back to after the hustle and bustle of daily activities is an asset you may not acknowledge until you don’t have it. At a point in my life, I rented a house that was surrounded by several religious institutions. At a point, it seemed they were competing for “the noisiest religious institution in the world”. Sleep often eluded me as they held programs at ungodly hours with their speakers blaring at their loudest. The frustration was further compounded by the people living in the neighborhood who felt okay with the noise. I had no choice but to move out of the neighborhood even before the expiration of my annual rent.

9. What billing methods are available for water and electricity?
My experience with estimated billing for both electricity and water supply has really not been a palatable one, as I seem not to have ever gotten it right with the respective service providers. The bills come, I pay at their office. I come back home only to find out I have been disconnected. How was I to know that I am supposed to make copies of the stamped bills and paste on my doors and gate? I had prepaid meters installed and that solved the problems. Finding out what kind of billing system is available where you intend to buy or rent a property will go a long way in helping you plan properly.

10. How honest or reliable is the agent trying to sell or rent the property to you?
There is no doubt that there are now fraudulent agents everywhere. It is often difficult to recognize one as they often tend to look genuine. The easiest way to recognize a fraudulent agent is his love for money. When you meet an agent who wants to start milking you of your resources the moment he sets his eyes on you, it is a sign for you to soft pedal and ask more questions. Meeting a reliable agent could be challenging, but they exist, if you take your time to search for them.

My name is John, and I sell for a living.

1 Like

Re: 10 Questions To Ask Before Buying Or Renting A Property In Nigeria by talk2odim: 4:29pm On Dec 04, 2017
OlugbemiJohn:
Having lived in several cities in Nigeria, and having been involved in real estate marketing for a while, the hassle and stress involved in trying to rent or buy properties in Nigeria is not new to me. Daily, I interact with clients who have varying demands, and most often, these demands have to be met. I have had to also answer unending questions at ungodly hours from clients who are about to commit their savings into buying or renting a property.

If you live in Nigeria and you are about to buy or rent a property, you may need to ask the following questions as they may go a long way in helping you make a more informed decision and safeguard your investment.

1. Does the property have the proper approval?
When you intend to buy or rent a property, it is important to find out if the property has a building approval and title documents. It is also important to find out if the property has been built on a land that is meant for that purpose. This is one sure way of not just securing your investment or hard earned money, but also ensuring your peace of mind. In 2012, Minanuel Estate, an investment of over 10 billion naira and involving 500 families was demolished in Abuja. This avoidable incident no doubt caused untold hardship on the affected families.

2. How secure is the location of the property?
There are several advantages attached to buying or renting a property in a secure location. Nobody wants to live in a neighborhood that is constantly being attacked by petty thieves and robbers. Nobody wants to live in a neighborhood where you wake up to go to work with your vehicle only to find out that the battery has disappeared. It is important you find out how secure the neighborhood is from people living there. Find out what the various measures taken by the neighborhood to protect people’s lives and properties. Buying or renting a home in a secure location will go a long way in helping you go about your daily activities with peace of mind.

3. How close is the nearest market or shopping mall to the property?
It is not convenient when you have to walk or drive a distance to get something as little as a razor blade, toothbrush or toothpaste. You may not know how frustrating this may be until you have experienced it, most especially if you are new within the neighborhood. Having a market or shopping mall close to where you intend to buy or rent a property is a plus as this will save you the stress of having to drive or walk long distances to get something as simple as toiletries.

4. How close is it to the nearest hospital or healthcare center to the property?
Having a healthcare center or hospital close to the neighborhood where you intend to buy or rent a home is an added advantage. The hospital or healthcare center may not be up to the standard you want, but trust me, this hospital or healthcare center will come be useful in the middle of the night and during emergencies when first aid treatment needs to be urgently administered.

5. How effective is the drainage system where the property is located?
Buying or renting a property could turn out to be a disaster if the place where the property is located is prone to flooding. Most often, I ask people to inspect the property they intend to buy during the rainy season. This gives you a clear perspective of the actual state of the property. If you are comfortable with what the house looks like in the middle of the rainy season, it shows you are about to make a good decision. There is no point buying or renting a property when you have to move out your belongings during the rainy season because of flooding. Damp internal walls, algae growing on the external walls, leaking roof, smell of dampness, etc. may just be a pointer for you to have a rethink. It is also important to note that people contribute to flooding when they dump rubbish directly into water passages.

6. Are there legal issues surrounding the property?
Buying or renting a property that is in dispute or have legal issues surrounding it is not a wise path to tow. Most often, sign posts are put up asking buyers to stay away from such property, but in most cases also, those signs are removed by unscrupulous individuals who want to quickly cash in on the potential buyer’s ignorance. Once your mind is made up with regards to the property you intend to buy or rent, it will be wise to simply ask people who live around the neighborhood. Ask for all the documents and have a lawyer take a proper look at them. Asking why a house is up for sale or rent may also not be a bad idea.

7. How reliable is power supply around where the property is located?
Though power supply is gradually improving in Nigeria, there are still some areas that go for weeks and months without electricity. If you do not have the financial capability to afford an inverter or solar system that can power all your appliances, it will be helpful to find out how reliable power supply is within the neighborhood that you intend to buy or rent a property. There is really nothing as frustrating as a living in a neighborhood that experiences unending power supply challenges.

8. How serene is the location of the property?
If given a choice, very few people will want to buy or rent a property in an area that is known for noise. Having a serene place to come back to after the hustle and bustle of daily activities is an asset you may not acknowledge until you don’t have it. At a point in my life, I rented a house that was surrounded by several religious institutions. At a point, it seemed they were competing for “the noisiest religious institution in the world”. Sleep often eluded me as they held programs at ungodly hours with their speakers blaring at their loudest. The frustration was further compounded by the people living in the neighborhood who felt okay with the noise. I had no choice but to move out of the neighborhood even before the expiration of my annual rent.

9. What billing methods are available for water and electricity?
My experience with estimated billing for both electricity and water supply has really not been a palatable one, as I seem not to have ever gotten it right with the respective service providers. The bills come, I pay at their office. I come back home only to find out I have been disconnected. How was I to know that I am supposed to make copies of the stamped bills and paste on my doors and gate? I had prepaid meters installed and that solved the problems. Finding out what kind of billing system is available where you intend to buy or rent a property will go a long way in helping you plan properly.

10. How honest or reliable is the agent trying to sell or rent the property to you?
There is no doubt that there are now fraudulent agents everywhere. It is often difficult to recognize one as they often tend to look genuine. The easiest way to recognize a fraudulent agent is his love for money. When you meet an agent who wants to start milking you of your resources the moment he sets his eyes on you, it is a sign for you to soft pedal and ask more questions. Meeting a reliable agent could be challenging, but they exist, if you take your time to search for them.

My name is John, and I sell for a living.

Do u help sell...in Abuja?

1 Like

Re: 10 Questions To Ask Before Buying Or Renting A Property In Nigeria by Viktoreze(m): 5:39pm On Dec 04, 2017
Beautiful write up!

1 Like

Re: 10 Questions To Ask Before Buying Or Renting A Property In Nigeria by OlugbemiJohn(m): 7:48pm On Jan 28, 2019
talk2odim:

Do u help sell...in Abuja?

Yes I do.
Re: 10 Questions To Ask Before Buying Or Renting A Property In Nigeria by OlugbemiJohn(m): 7:49pm On Jan 28, 2019
Viktoreze:
Beautiful write up!

Thank you,

(1) (Reply)

Breaking :fire Outbreak At Ogbomoso / Cheap Affordable Land In Ibadan, Become A Land Owner / Chois Garden,abijo Gra, Lekki,2/3 Bedroom Pay N Park In Apartment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.