Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,267 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon (787 Views)

How Ojukwu Was Given Asylum In Ivory Coast - Jan. 24, 1970 / Why We Have No Regrets Fighting Civil War –Gowon / Its A Holy War! Gowon Led Christian Group Says About Onnoghen’s Conviction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by lightblazingnow(m): 11:07am On Oct 25, 2017
Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ caused civil war – Gowon
dailypost.ng

Former Military Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (rtd) has disclosed how lies by late warlord, Odumegu Ojukwu after the Aburi accord led to Biafra civil war, between 1967 and 1970.

Gowon made the claim while giving insight into what happened at the Aburi Conference, in Ghana, convened to resolve Nigeria’s political logjam.

He said the Federal Government went to Aburi unprepared, following a disagreement which broke out between the Supreme Military Council (SMC) and the Eastern region, led by Ojukwu.

Speaking on AIT’s programme “People, Politics and Power,” on Tuesday, Gowon said the decision to go to Aburi was borne out of the desire to win back the trust and confidence of Nigerians.

He maintained that secession was never part of the resolutions they agreed on.

Gowon said, “We agreed to put our heads together, to regain the trust and confidence of Nigerians. We went to Aburi, to agree to deal with the situation of our country, by ourselves.

“We did not go with any prepared position on the federal side, but, Ojukwu came with a paper he prepared. His prepared position was on a pink paper. Usually, pink paper at the Staff College is directing staff solution to the problem.”

Gowon said most of the positions presented by Ojukwu at the conference were accepted and upon their return to Nigeria, he was determined to keep the country united by assuaging the South East but Ojukwu felt otherwise.

He said Ojukwu’s refusal may have been as a result of killings of Igbos in the North, a situation that made him (Ojukwu) insist on Nigeria’s breakup.

Gowon disclosed that part of the agreement reached in Aburi was that upon return to Nigeria, he would be the first to make any statement concerning the resolutions before any governor makes any statement.

He said, “But, by the time I returned, I was ill; I had fever. I could not make any statement. But, Ojukwu went to the radio, to make a statement and said the things we never agreed on.

“David Ejoor was the one who called me one early morning to ask if I had heard what Ojukwu said, and I said no. He then reeled out all that Ojukwu had said and I asked David, in all honesty, if that was what we agreed. He said no.

“To keep the country together was not a task that I could do alone. I needed the cooperation and understanding of every Nigerian. And, in order to ensure we kept the country together, I reckoned that we needed to have discussions among ourselves. We had a civil servant who was exceptionally experienced and good.

“We went there (Aburi) to restore the trust of our country. If we were working together, anyone with conscience will assuage the feelings (of the South-easterners). But, Ojukwu thought otherwise. He had in mind all along, based on what happened to his people in the North, that secession was the only way out. But, we were thinking of the whole country, because all parts of the country were involved. The military was not involved in the killings of South-easterners in the North.”

http://dailypost.ng/2017/10/25/biafra-ojukwus-lies-caused-civil-war-gowon/amp/

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by lightblazingnow(m): 11:09am On Oct 25, 2017
Not good enough to agree or disagree because Ojukwo is passed on and you are alive.
It should have been properly if the man was alive to refute or absorb your theories

Allow the past passed and the future going. Life goes on
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by achi4u(m): 11:16am On Oct 25, 2017
Gowon only you know what you people agreed on, why the Aburi accord was not hold, while Ojukwu decided to make pronouncements before you as head of the government and why you decided to murder millions of ur fellow countrymen.

Ojukwu is no more to agree or disagree with you.
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by achivs(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2017
well said sir
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 25, 2017
Now that Nigeria is one how does that benefit ur tribesmen being slaughtered by Fulanis,at least ojukwu fought for his people ,your deafening silence regarding ur slaughtered tribesmen shows the kind of cowardly leader u were, u sold ur soul for the Hausas yet they back stabbed you by putting a reckless and unstable murtala Muhammed in power ,just face up that u were used and stop living in denial

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by vedaxcool(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2017
Sad that misinformation was a trigger to the civil war
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 25, 2017
Gowon in exile

1 Like

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by morbeta(m): 11:34am On Oct 25, 2017
ehie:
Now that Nigeria is one how dies that benefit ur tribesmen being slaughtered by Fulani's,at least ojukwu fought for his people your deafening silence regarding ur slaughtered tribesmen shows the kind of cowardly leader u were, u sold ur soul for the Hausa's yet they back stabbed you by putting a reckless and unstable murtala Muhammed in power ,just face up that u were used and stop living in denial

Seconded.
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by morbeta(m): 11:35am On Oct 25, 2017
Is that the prodigal son?
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 25, 2017
ehie:
Now that Nigeria is one how dies that benefit ur tribesmen being slaughtered by Fulani's,at least ojukwu fought for his people your deafening silence regarding ur slaughtered tribesmen shows the kind of cowardly leader u were, u sold ur soul for the Hausa's yet they back stabbed you by putting a reckless and unstable murtala Muhammed in power ,just face up that u were used and stop living in denial

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by orisa37: 11:37am On Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Gowon for clearing the air.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by chemicalDisease: 11:49am On Oct 25, 2017
Lying against a dead person is a sin.
50+ yrs. we are still hearing new gist
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by JUSTICE4Nigeria: 11:53am On Oct 25, 2017
GOWON SHOULD PUBLISH THE ABURI AGREEMENT LETS DIFFERENIATE IT FROM RESTRUCTURING THEN WE CAN NOW JUDGE WHO LIED AND WHO DIDN'T

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by toolovely(m): 11:55am On Oct 25, 2017
lightblazingnow:

http://dailypost.ng/2017/10/25/biafra-ojukwus-lies-caused-civil-war-gowon/amp/

i was expecting that at this man's age and his claim of being born again, he would have come out to tell the world the truth. if he cant be truthful even at this stage of his life, why is he deceiving himself going around in the name of prayers.
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by adadike281(f): 11:58am On Oct 25, 2017
Another civil war is taking place in your backyard sir and u are here whining about Eze Igbo gburugburu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 25, 2017
adadike281:
Another civil war is taking place in your backyard sir and u are here whining about Eze Igbo gburugburu.
Gowon is the plateau dullard
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by proudlyYoruba(m): 12:18pm On Oct 25, 2017
Why do these people try to open bandaged wounds? It won't heal fast. What's all this rubbish? Let Biafra, Ojukwu and Kanu be, they are gone. Gen. Gowon swallow your pride and say 'YOUR ARE SORRY' even if you are not wrong

1 Like

Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by lightblazingnow(m): 8:37am On Oct 26, 2017
I wonder
Re: Biafra: How Ojukwu’s ‘lies’ Caused Civil War – Gowon by orisa37: 10:49am On Oct 26, 2017
Thank God for Gowon.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Abubakar Shekau's Wife Killed In Airstrikes By NAF / Why President Buhari May Truly Not Be In Charge In Aso Rock -Axelrod / Asiwaju Tinubu Losses First Son For This Reason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.