Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,742 members, 7,820,550 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Apple Or Windows - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Apple Or Windows (1452 Views)

Gurus In The House: Macbook Or Windows, Which Is Best For Programming ? / Pls I Need Someone With A Windows Xp Or Windows 7 Enabled System To Click (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Or Windows by Easy5265: 3:47pm On Oct 25, 2017
I need your opinions please is Apple laptop good for programming...Thank you.
Re: Apple Or Windows by jidez007: 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2017
Macbook is better for development.

Unix based OS
Best screen
Better battery life
Premium design
Most come with flash storage, so it is very fast. Boot up time is less than 6 seconds
Re: Apple Or Windows by ovoSoft: 7:18pm On Oct 25, 2017
^^ the dude above me has said it all. If you have money go for apple. ........FINISH. ....
.don't bring war here
Re: Apple Or Windows by bowofolu(m): 7:22pm On Oct 25, 2017
Nobody can deny the fact that Windows has a lot more support and community SDK's out there. There are certain open source codes that would work on only windows platforms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Apple Or Windows by ovoSoft: 7:39pm On Oct 25, 2017
^^ you can install windows on mac using bootcamp.....infact you can install all OS on a mac
Re: Apple Or Windows by bassdow: 7:45pm On Oct 25, 2017
Easy5265:
I need your opinions please is Apple laptop good for programming...Thank you.

Most web projects live on *nix environment e.g Linux and the closer your OS of development machine, the better.
You don't want to code, test and after everything works perfectly, you deploy it to your server (mostly Linux hosting) only to find out it's no longer worker as it was earlier.

I would have advised you use Linux OS (Since most servers run on it including Google) BUT here in Nigeria, Power (electricity) is almost non-existent and Linux OS are very poor on battery (mostly because PC manufacturers only consider Windows OS) except you take out time to fine-tune them.

But Mac OS also belongs to the *nix family hence is closer to Linux than Windows.

NB: You don't have to put a dent in your pockets in getting a high end expensive Mac PCs. You can install Mac OS on your normal regular PC
Re: Apple Or Windows by asalimpo(m): 8:18pm On Oct 25, 2017
The best machine for programming cannot make u think like a programmer.
Windows has been a more established platform than mac and has more software. anything mac can do windows can do. Every other thing is a matter of taste.
Most Mac users feel theyre cooler (though few will openly admit it) than windows users- so if you want to prop ur ego,maybe go for mac-that's what the extra cost may be for.
Mac users also feel their machine is the god of machines - super solid engineering etc. Built to last.
Well, if you want quality ,go for it. But that doesnt mean, other laptops arent as qualitative? they're laptops that equal or exceed the mac in engineering quality they just dont have the hype mac has.

The two factors outlined have nothing to do with programming. They're just psychological. Ego boost, and perception.

some1 can go the other way. buy one second laptop, say 35k(or more),every year and throw it away on year later (or sell it off)-
or buy one super cool laptop, 350k (how much is mac sef?) and use it, for the next 5 years (it would be absolete then by the way). Those are two extremes. They both work. No decision process is the BEST just make that which gives u optimal satisfaction.

if you feel you can't buy a used laptop, because u like the smell of new, then the issue isnt the machine but the psychological aspects. I know. I'm not advicing u buy used,just saying. Just saying that the factors behind decisions like these often have nothing to do with the merits or demerits of the products. We often make decisions basd on emotions then try to justify them using logic-then think we are being logical!!
Some people can't buy used cars too! God forbid! So when they buy a new car its actually equivalent to a used car+ psych-boosters! e.g ego,social credits,appearance,visual appeal etc.
e.g
if anew car cost N16m
and a decent used cost N3m
but the person chooses the new over the used.
The extra 13m isnt payment for quality only! but other things like:
social approval,
sense of greater satisfaction,
better engineering quality (its latest model)
visual appearance
the smell (that smell of the new leather)
insurance (against mechanical wahala for a while)
etc
But if one just wanted somehing to drive him from a to b,and was nice and comfortable and reliable- the used one would do!

3 Likes

Re: Apple Or Windows by Olyboy16(m): 10:22pm On Oct 25, 2017
ovoSoft:
^^ you can install windows on mac using bootcamp.....infact you can install all OS on a mac
honnnestly, an up to date windows 10 OS beats a mac hands down when it comes to coding! talkbout the new linux subsystem? or the amazing direct X? or the battery life? or the open-ness? or the comfortability?

no wars please, i stated my points, simply state yours abeg.
Re: Apple Or Windows by ovoSoft: 10:52pm On Oct 25, 2017
^^ ok if you feel windows 10 is that cool......a mac user will just install it using bootcamp but u can never get the mac experience on a PC...... NEVER (hackintosh is total rubbish)

And for those saying you only need a brain for programming well you also need tools too its very very important......your brain only solves the problem but what about implementation?....how will a serious programmer wait for hours just to compile a code (windows pc with 2gb ram) while keeping the client waiting cuz you are waiting. .......fairly used laptops are risky as they can misbehave at anytime., you may not be lucky as you watch all your hours of hard work churning out code die with the failing disk.
Re: Apple Or Windows by Olyboy16(m): 11:42pm On Oct 25, 2017
ovoSoft:
^^ ok if you feel windows 10 is that cool......a mac user will just install it using bootcamp but u can never get the mac experience on a PC...... NEVER (hackintosh is total rubbish)

And for those saying you only need a brain for programming well you also need tools too its very very important......your brain only solves the problem but what about implementation?....how will a serious programmer wait for hours just to compile a code (windows pc with 2gb ram) while keeping the client waiting cuz you are waiting. .......fairly used laptops are risky as they can misbehave at anytime., you may not be lucky as you watch all your hours of hard work churning out code die with the failing disk.
define mac experience.
explain why anyone in their sane minds will boot windows(10!!) on their mac.
and oga boss sir, compiling on windows isnt in anyway slower that it is on unix systems...what are you even saying sef? haha!
Re: Apple Or Windows by asalimpo(m): 11:51pm On Oct 25, 2017
Any computer in the market will do a good job for you and work well.
a machine with 2 gig ram will not be slow for coding at all. It may be slow for running memory intensive applications but not for coding.
On a 2 gig ram system you can do all computing tasks easily: watch movies, browse, code etc.
Fairly used laptops may be risky ,there's risk in every thing, fairly used cars, gens, are risky.
Some People have sad experiences buying fairly used anything, but that doesnt mean that ALL fairly used things are RISKY. They're some fairly used stuffs ppl have bought that turned out to last far better and longer than they expected and vice versa.
We're talking cost/risk/price trade offs and i gave my views.

As a beginner, in the next 10 years of your programming life,you'll never write a piece of software that will take even 30 minutes to compile! talk less of hours.
A program that takes an hour to compile will be having at least 300k Lines of code! by the time you've written a program with 5 000 lines you wont be needing to know what type of system to go for.
I mean structured well designed necessary lines not spaghetti nonsense and duplications.

Like i said, i wasnt advocating anything,just showing the pros and cons.
Some1 can buy 1 35k laptop, to try out, minimizing his expenses and his risk if it turns out bad with the intention of discarding after a year.
Anoda can buy a 500k laptop - hoping for the very best.
Anoda may go a step further and fly to the country of manufacture and buy a confirmed endorsed one for N1.5-2m.
While anoda may abuse the 35k guy and hunt for a 25k version and get it!!

2 ppl face a problem , they tackled it differently.
between the polar extremes there's a lot of lee way inbtwn. i'm just showing that they're reasons why ppl buy and he should know what he really wants.
Re: Apple Or Windows by ovoSoft: 6:09am On Oct 26, 2017
^^ when you design apps, you use software and they have what is called "minimum requirements" eg try compiling an android app on a 2gb pc (takes years for a complex android app with lots of libs) or a 1gb pc (good luck with that) no matter how structred your code is. Android Studio is available on both platforms, the only thing that matters here is the speed/capacity of the laptop in question because Android Studio is quite heavy and requires a large amount of processing power, this is just an example.
Re: Apple Or Windows by ovoSoft: 6:36am On Oct 26, 2017
Olyboy16:

define mac experience.
explain why anyone in their sane minds will boot windows(10!!) on their mac.
and oga boss sir, compiling on windows isnt in anyway slower that it is on unix systems...what are you even saying sef? haha!

its like explaining why anyone will install unix on windows.You write codes with software, and these softwares may only run on specific OSes, virtual machines can be slow so its only WISE to have choices on a laptop, its also a shame that you don't know sane minds install windows on their macs, I call it flexibility.

let me explain something to you, don't know if it will make sense;
Linux filesystem itself is more efficient at handling all those index files than Windows's NTFS? ext3 and ext4 is blinkingly fast, mainly because of its buffering scheme; but the core reason of this speed is that Linux is an *nix operating system, and Unix was, and still is, since the very start, build around, and integrated with a compiler, and an Unix-like OS and filesystem gives their best in, well, compiling.

if that didn't make sense, abeg I haf tried don't quote me again and stay glued to your opinion its not compulsory you accept mine

(1) (Reply)

You Are Paying A Software Developer That!!!!!! / Apple Developer Account Needed / Backend Devs How Do You Advertise Your Skills?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.