Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,236 members, 7,839,255 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christ (515 Views)

Repent Today! The Kingdom Of God Is At Hand! Jesus Christ Is Lord Of All! / No One Can Overcome Sin Without Losing His Life.life With Christ Is Everything. / Ovie Okorodudu, Christ Embassy Pastor, Accused Of Fraud On Facebook (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christ by Nobody: 12:29am On Oct 26, 2017
Let me preface this by saying that I resisted starting this thread for a long time but I can’t resist it anymore.

Please, if anyone is up for it, let’s use this thread to discuss Christ.

This isn’t a thread to impose your definition on what Christ is but rather a place for discovery. A place for people to come and understand just what Christ is.

I’ll join and state my own opinions and what Christ means to me.

I’ll start of by saying that I intend for this thread to never die because Christ, to me, never died. To me, Christ cannot be killed. Like information, I only believe that Christ can only be transferred from one state to another, so even in what we assume to be death, Christ is still alive.

Thus, I cannot accept the position that Christ died on the cross. That is not a moral judgement, just a logical impossibility to me.

Atheist are welcome to the discussion as well but just know that your refusal to believe in Christ or God doesn’t stop either from existing. Just continue to do you.

So please, let’s keep it friendly and civil. I may not respond for long periods but, like I said, I intend to keep this thread going because I think a deeper and more sophisticated understanding of Christ can benefit us all. Who is with me?
Re: Christ by vaxx: 10:12am On Oct 26, 2017
I read one of your thread where you state your journey from christain to muslim....are you back to church again? If so why?
Re: Christ by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 26, 2017
Thank you Seun for pointing me towards your thread on being more tolerant of each other.

That’s truly my aim. To reach a consensus that will help us as a community on Nairaland (despite my being a relative newcomer here) and the outside world at large.

That being said, peaceful discussions regarding theology and religious stances should be encouraged. You can’t make everyone happy, but they need to be strong enough to handle civil challenges to their stance and as such be able to discuss this in an open, honest manner.

Is the Islam for Muslims section a division that’s necessary? If it is, like others have suggested, why not have sections exclusively for every other denomination or sect? My asking that isn’t to strengthen the case for discarding the Islam for Muslims section but rather for creating spaces where everyone feels safe and included.

If the Muslims have their enclave, then everyone should. How can we help you make Nairaland the Nigerian Reddit?

For anyone wondering why I’m putting this under the Christ thread; Christ at its heart means creation to me. That’s all I’m trying to do. Create a better future for all of us. Let’s keep going.
Re: Christ by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 26, 2017
vaxx:
I read one of your thread where you state your journey from christain to muslim....are you back to church again? If so why?

Muslims believe in Jesus as well. I never really left the church. I went to Islam because there was more my soul was yearning for but even then, I went with Christ, I stayed there with Christ and believe it or not, Christ continues to work through Islam.

The two are not separate for me. Nothing, no spiritual path that I have encountered has ever been so separate from another that a grain of truth can not be found.

So, if I were to be paradoxical; I’d say that I’m Muslim at heart but my expression of my faith fundamentally differs from what my Arabic praying brothers and sisters are engaged in.

Mine is an Indigenous form of Islam. Christ is very comfortable in it.

Sorry for the long and meandering answer to your question but it isn’t something that can be explained in one post. Hence why I want to keep this thread going for as long as possible.
Re: Christ by vaxx: 10:32am On Oct 26, 2017
Jahsam:

Muslims believe in Jesus as well. I never really left the church. I went to Islam because there was more my soul was yearning for but even then, I went with Christ, I stayed there with Christ and believe it or not, Christ continues to work through Islam.

The two are not separate for me. Nothing, no spiritual path that I have encountered has ever been so separate from another that a grain of truth can not be found.

So, if I were to be paradoxical; I’d say that I’m Muslim at heart but my expression of my faith fundamentally differs from what my Arabic praying brothers and sisters are engaged in.

Mine is an Indigenous form of Islam. Christ is very comfortable in it.

Sorry for the long and meandering answer to your question but it isn’t something that can be explained in one post. Hence why I want to keep this thread going for as long as possible.
The concept of Christ in Christendom is different from Islamic perspective.... How are you trying to merge this dogma together?
Re: Christ by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 26, 2017
vaxx:
The concept of Christ in Christendom is different from Islamic perspective.... How are you trying to merge this dogma together?

There is also Christ outside of Christendom and Islam. I’m trying to bring that universal understanding here.

I can’t force the beliefs to merge but I can explain how it makes sense to me, from a personal, subjective point of view. For those that care to think of it this way; this is how Christ came to me.

I always thought it was incongruous to believe that Jesus died or that he was sent to die for anyone. It didn’t make sense and never sat well with me. I prayed and asked for understanding and continued to have thoughts about the metaphysical nature of that “death” and came to the conclusion that Christ, the force that was with Jesus, simply cannot die. For me, that was and is the dark heart of the Bible, particularly for those that believe Jesus is God. For me, it’s blasphemous for one to think they can kill God. It’s a logical impossibility and smacks of human hubris and pride. I always knew Jesus was a figure in Islam as well so it was with much surprise that I read the verse which states;

“And for their saying, "We have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah." In fact, they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them as if they did. Indeed, those who differ about him are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it, except the following of assumptions. Certainly, they did not kill him.”

From An-Nisa 4:157

That I had reached this conclusion before reading the Quran is proof enough for me. Something greater than I was working. I’ve also take. It to God in my prayers. Being a Christian has been part of my life for almost all of my life. It isn’t simply an identity that one can erase or plaster over with different religions. Much like how I believe Christ did not in fact die on the cross. Christ also cannot be killed in my heart. In whatever form Christ comes to me, I have to engage with and work with it. It’s like asking me to stop breathing.

So, no matter what label I ascribe to myself Christ and God continue to operate free from the bounds of what we think we know.
Re: Christ by vaxx: 11:38am On Oct 26, 2017
Jahsam:

There is also Christ outside of Christendom and Islam. I’m trying to bring that universal understanding here.

I can’t force the beliefs to merge but I can explain how it makes sense to me, from a personal, subjective point of view. For those that care to think of it this way; this is how Christ came to me.

I always thought it was incongruous to believe that Jesus died or that he was sent to die for anyone. It didn’t make sense and never sat well with me. I prayed and asked for understanding and continued to have thoughts about the metaphysical nature of that “death” and came to the conclusion that Christ, the force that was with Jesus, simply cannot die. For me, that was and is the dark heart of the Bible, particularly for those that believe Jesus is God. For me, it’s blasphemous for one to think they can kill God. It’s a logical impossibility and smacks of human hubris and pride. I always knew Jesus was a figure in Islam as well so it was with much surprise that I read the verse which states;

“And for their saying, "We have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah." In fact, they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them as if they did. Indeed, those who differ about him are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it, except the following of assumptions. Certainly, they did not kill him.”

From An-Nisa 4:157

That I had reached this conclusion before reading the Quran is proof enough for me. Something greater than I was working. I’ve also take. It to God in my prayers. Being a Christian has been part of my life for almost all of my life. It isn’t simply an identity that one can erase or plaster over with different religions. Much like how I believe Christ did not in fact die on the cross. Christ also cannot be killed in my heart. In whatever form Christ comes to me, I have to engage with and work with it. It’s like asking me to stop breathing.

So, no matter what label I ascribe to myself Christ and God continue to operate free from the bounds of what we think we know.
You already set a conclusion before the research.... That make your own research biased.

You absolutely believe you are right because Qur'an later agree with your perspective.......no qualms .......

According to 1 Corinthian 15 vs 14....says if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless so is our faith...which actually means the fundamental teaching of christanity rely heavily on the crucifixion ...therefore your are not a Christian if your believe system does not synchronised with the teaching of Paul.

You are treating Christ as a single subject nstead of the universal agree word.... Jesus Christ......what prompt this perspective?

Mind you I do not subscribed to Quran and biblical teaching...
Re: Christ by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 26, 2017
vaxx:
You already set a conclusion before the research.... That make your own research biased.

You absolutely believe you are right because Qur'an later agree with your perspective.......no qualms .......

According to 1 Corinthian 15 vs 14....says if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless so is our faith...which actually means the fundamental teaching of christanity rely heavily on the crucifixion ...therefore your are not a Christian if your believe system does not synchronised with the teaching of Paul.

You are treating Christ as a single subject nstead of the universal agree word.... Jesus Christ......what prompt this perspective?

Mind you I do not subscribed to Quran and biblical teaching...

I feel you. I do. That’s where personal/subjective experience comes in.

Maybe I need to find a different way of communicating. Jesus Christ isn’t the universally accepted form or name of the individual you’re referring to. I would implore you to do the same amount of research that you assume I’m yet to do.

But if we must describe Christ, I’ll begin by stating my understanding of him.

He’s a black man.
Re: Christ by Didov1(f): 12:41pm On Oct 30, 2017
lol,my friend is back again,i jst read some lines out of you first post,you said jesus isnt dead to you,well no true christian wld say christ is dead,bt instead jesus died for our sins(his body cease to function for 3 days nt his spirit)and rose again on the third day...why should jesus die for our sin??,if you read more about moses and during his reign,you will see how the isrealite do kill ox,sheep as sacrifice,for the remision of their sin,thats how they do as of that time,nt until during the reign of some other prophet that a message came from yahweh abt the coming of christ,micah5:2 talks abt where jesus will be born,a great prophet of God in the bible which is prophet isaiah said in ISAIAH53:5,BUT HE WAS WOUNDED FOR OUR TRANGRESSIONS,HE WAS BRUISED FOR OUR INIQUITIES,THE CHASTISEMENT OF OUR PEACE WAS UPON HIM AND WITH HIS STRIPES WE ARE HEAL..you see jahsam,if jesus was same eesa written in the quoran then something is wrong somewhere(sims you bliv we worship same God)
Re: Christ by Didov1(f): 1:06pm On Oct 30, 2017
cont' (sims you bliv we worship same God)why did allah prophesy about the death of jesus and later turn back and put his face on a inocent man to be brutalised,killed/crusified in such a manner??,why would he happily deceived his people after he has prophesy abt such event some centuries back??why??..what about ISAIAH 9:6,A CHILD IS BORN TO US,A SON GIVEN TO US AND HE WILL BE OUR RULER,HE WILL BE CALLED WONDERFUL COUNSELLOR,MIGHTY GOD,ETERNAL FATHER,PRINCE OF PEACE.is mohamed having all the atribute written there or jesus christ......you see Jahsam,i cnt force you to believe or do what you are nt ready to do,bt when ready openup your heart and mind to do it,and also,always pray for understanding#shalom#
Re: Christ by Didov1(f): 1:14pm On Oct 30, 2017

I feel you. I do. That’s where personal/subjective experience comes in.

Maybe I need to find a different way of communicating. Jesus Christ isn’t the universally accepted form or name of the individual you’re referring to. I would implore you to do the same amount of research that you assume I’m yet to do.

But if we must describe Christ, I’ll begin by stating my understanding of him.

He’s a black man.
whatever colour he is doesnt make a difference,either white,black,coloured,chocolate o that doesnt make a difference sofar the deed have been done,so no qualm.
Re: Christ by Hier(m): 1:34pm On Oct 30, 2017
Didov1:
lol,my friend is back again,i jst read some lines out of you first post,you said jesus isnt dead to you,well no true christian wld say christ is dead,bt instead jesus died for our sins(his body cease to function for 3 days nt his spirit)and rose again on the third day...why should jesus die for our sin??,if you read more about moses and during his reign,you will see how the isrealite do kill ox,sheep as sacrifice,for the remision of their sin,thats how they do as of that time,nt until during the reign of some other prophet that a message came from yahweh abt the coming of christ,micah5:2 talks abt where jesus will be born,a great prophet of God in the bible which is prophet isaiah said in ISAIAH53:5,BUT HE WAS WOUNDED FOR OUR TRANGRESSIONS,HE WAS BRUISED FOR OUR INIQUITIES,THE CHASTISEMENT OF OUR PEACE WAS UPON HIM AND WITH HIS STRIPES WE ARE HEAL..you see jahsam,if jesus was same eesa written in the quoran then something is wrong somewhere(sims you bliv we worship same God)
Learn to create threads
Re: Christ by Didov1(f): 1:47pm On Oct 30, 2017
Hier:
Learn to create threads
Re: Christ by Hier(m): 2:44pm On Oct 30, 2017
Didov1:

grin please start creating threads
Re: Christ by sonmvayina(m): 2:58pm On Oct 30, 2017
If you really know what God is like you claim, you would have known this thread does not make any sense at all..

Learn what God is and is not...meeting a religionists will set you back. Meet a spiritualist to explain what God is..then you can understand why I say this thread is not going to wake anybody up..

God is simply the universal consciousness...the stories you read about God are all allegorical. In other words they are parables man has developed to remind ourselves that God is in us and we are in it.

God is not a man or human being...it is spirit behind every creature..creating, sustaining and sometimes destroying life..God made it so for balance..each of us are Gods or spirits on a human journey..so there are not one way but several as the number of human ways to God..

Anybody who tells you that there is only one way wants to steal your money and time..

These are some of the secrets the occult knows that you don't..they wont teach you if you are not ready...and brave..

Fear is the enemy...
The fact that you see 2 different outcomes (good and evil) does not mean two different Gods are responsible..it is one spirit that is responsible for both..nature does not know how to distinguish both, but we as human with our brain can tell the difference...so we are the ones that is going to save ourselves from it..individually we cant do it alone, so we need each other...that is where love comes in..

1 Like

Re: Christ by ScienceWatch: 3:02pm On Oct 30, 2017
Let me preface this by saying that I resisted starting this thread for a long time but I can’t resist it anymore.

Please, if anyone is up for it, let’s use this thread to discuss Christ.

This isn’t a thread to impose your definition on what Christ is but rather a place for discovery. A place for people to come and understand just what Christ is.

I’ll join and state my own opinions and what Christ means to me.

Jesus Christ possesses divine names — names that can only be used of God.

For example:
Jesus is Yahweh. Yahweh is a very common Hebrew name for God in the Old Testament, occurring over 5,300 times. It is translated LORD (all capitals) in many English translations of the Bible.
We first learn of this name in Exodus 3, where Moses asked God by what name He should be called. God replied to him, “I AM WHO I AM. . . .Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you”.

Yahweh is basically a shortened form of “I AM WHO I AM” (verse 15). The name conveys the idea of eternal self-existence. Yahweh never came into being at a point in time for He has always existed.
Jesus implicitly ascribed this divine name to himself during a confrontation He had with a group of hostile Jews. He said, “I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM” (John 8:58). Jesus deliberately contrasted the created origin of Abraham—whom the Jews venerated—with His own eternal, uncreated nature as God.

Jesus is Kurios. The New Testament Greek equivalent of the Old Testament Hebrew name Yahweh is Kurios. Used of God, Kurios carries the idea of a sovereign being who exercises absolute authority. The word is translated Lord in English translations of the Bible.
Re: Christ by sonmvayina(m): 3:16pm On Oct 30, 2017
Christianity started off as "the roman catholic church"..understanding the origin, will go a long way in educating you about Christ or Jesus..

The new testament is not a continuation of the old testament..the Jews still practice their Judaism and have nothing to do with the character called Jesus..to them , to worship anything other than the creator is idolatory..but they still recognise the existence of other gods...one of such god or goddess was the queen of heaven mentioned in the book of Jeremiah..she is a fertility goddess. The worship of this queen of heaven was paramount in the roman empire prior to Nicea, it was this cult that the romans rebranded as Christianity..the queen of heaven was given the name Mary and her son Jesus, it is the pagan worship of mother and son that was wide spread in Egypt, Babylon, Syria, Rome, Greece etc...

Christianity is pagan in origin, the gospel stories comes from ancient tales about Marduk...Marduk was the son of Enki and the first Christ prototype..i.e die and be resurrected...
Don't be fooled..
Re: Christ by MisterMr: 2:22pm On Dec 17, 2017
Jehovah,

Who and what am I?

That’s the question that perplexes me daily. Different people have their different opinions but whenever I come to you, I hear something different, something contrary to what people have in mind.

Sometimes I just need to express myself. Hopefully I can do it here.

Your faithful servant.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is A Man Of God? By Olakunle Allison / Open Letter To Governor Akinwunmi Ambode On Hijabite Victimization / 10 Questions For All Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.