Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

"FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo (6454 Views)

FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / ‘FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities’- Alaafin Of Oyo Says . / Civil Servants Sending Their Children To Private Universities Are Corrupt – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Tomchiz: 10:04am On Oct 26, 2017
[b][/b] who be this goat?
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by egopersonified(f): 10:05am On Oct 26, 2017
Statsocial:
Indeed it is very important that Private Universities are given relief funds and maybe in exchange for lower fees. The truth is many private Universities are finding it difficult to sustain their budgets as a result of low student recruitment. With the Current scheme of things only Covenant, Babcock and ABUAD are having applications and enrollment exceeding 1000. Most other private universities are struggling to even recruit 500. Some can't even recruit 200.

It is not as if more Nigerians don't have the money to seek private higher education. But many just don't see the reason or motivation for it since public universities are cheap and sometimes even more reputable than some private Universities. I know this because when strike severely hit Lautech many of their students who would have protested for any little increase in tuition ran to Bowen to pay over 500k.

We can't allow Private Universities to die because if it does then we would know the true definition of Educational tourism. No private University is asking for money to build libraries. It is usually research fund they want. It is difficult to pay lecturers on NUC scale and still fund research in private universities. If you employ an MSc holder today in the next four years he will obtain a PhD hence his rank and pay must be reviewed and this makes the tuition to continue grow.

I am not saying this because of Covenant university which is wealthy enough to take care of herself. But many others that are not financially buoyant. All we are saying is give them the same opportunity to assess Tetfund research grant since the lecturers there are Nigerians. Why should Covenant b able to attract grant from US govt and be unable to attract from her govt.

This is so wrong, for us to move forward, the government cannot be involved in every segment of every section. Private universities should be able to develop and grow themselves. Next thing you know private primary and secondary schools would start clamouring for funds too.

Now, if there is an ongoing research for something beneficial to society at large by a private university, say for example a cure for AIDS or polio, there should be a means of applying for funds from the government for just that particular project.

When you think because private universities are struggling and should be assisted financially, so also other businesses are struggling.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by betterABIAstate: 10:06am On Oct 26, 2017
Statsocial:

You do not say that an Alaafin is on cheap drugs. As a Yoruba man I am offended. The man as a right to air his views without being unnecessarily pummeled for sharing an opinion that is unpopular.
alaafin is spewing trash
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by doctorgold(m): 10:06am On Oct 26, 2017
we keep dragging the government into everything. Not forgetting that their responsibility to federal and state universities have not even been met. incessant strikes in government schools have not been solved and we want government to start helping to fund private universities. It can't fit to work.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by betterABIAstate: 10:07am On Oct 26, 2017
stinggy:

No, he is not. He aired his personal opinion, you're entitled to yours without abusing others undecided
I didn't abuse him, his opinion is just sickening.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by betterABIAstate: 10:19am On Oct 26, 2017
HyconMojo:

You don born many pikin abi so life don tire you? Next time, you don't say that to Iku baba yeye
iku baba yeye is talking rubbish
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by 400billionman: 10:34am On Oct 26, 2017
Ridiculous request.

In other countries, govts are funding public schools, secondary and tertiary to compete with private ones in standards.

The private schools are closing shop in other countries..

And you are asking govt to fund them here while ASUU is always on repeated strike for lack of funding.

Nnah mehn, Nigerians dey reason upside down..
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by stinggy(m): 10:34am On Oct 26, 2017
betterABIAstate:
I didn't abuse him, his opinion is just sickening.
Okay sir but his opinion is not sickening to him sha. Life is all about perspective.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by HyconMojo(m): 11:00am On Oct 26, 2017
betterABIAstate:
iku baba yeye is talking rubbish
Go say that to him ...
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by betterABIAstate: 11:00am On Oct 26, 2017
HyconMojo:

Go say that to him ...
abeg shift, is he God?
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by woodrow(m): 11:46am On Oct 26, 2017
What nonsense..very soon he would ask the govt to provide special funds for hoteliers,bar owners,commercial bus owners and private business.sometimes old men don't reason straight
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by gregyboy(m): 11:51am On Oct 26, 2017
the alafin is high on weed for saying that...haba common sense is common
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by abiodunab: 12:48pm On Oct 26, 2017
For what reason Sir?
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by CioAngels(f): 7:54pm On Oct 26, 2017
Caseless:
Alaafin, tell us which one is your own among the many private university we have in Nigeria.
I'm sure one of kabiyesi's wife owns a private university.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by CioAngels(f): 8:12pm On Oct 26, 2017
Why open private university when you know you cannot fund it? The government you are calling, are they able to fund the government owned primary, secondary and universities? The individuals should not open university because the govt is there to extort from. With the outragious fee they collect (GREED) they want to extort and at the end of the day the same private university that collected fund from govt will run down govt schools. Anyway, it is all our stealing leaders that are the owners of private unversity which ordinary Nigerians are not able to access.
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Teobaba(m): 6:02am On Oct 27, 2017
The way most of these elders talk well its corruption speaking. After funding private University with tax payers money they increase their school fees to the price of private jet. Pls receive sense
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by kidneystones(m): 7:39am On Oct 27, 2017
After charging a huge sum of money , not even affordable to some wealthy men , fg should give special funding to private university , sir ,stop saying nonsense .
Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by TheVictorious(m): 3:10pm On Oct 27, 2017
Statsocial:
Indeed it is very important that Private Universities are given relief funds and maybe in exchange for lower fees. The truth is many private Universities are finding it difficult to sustain their budgets as a result of low student recruitment. With the Current scheme of things only Covenant, Babcock and ABUAD are having applications and enrollment exceeding 1000. Most other private universities are struggling to even recruit 500. Some can't even recruit 200.

It is not as if more Nigerians don't have the money to seek private higher education. But many just don't see the reason or motivation for it since public universities are cheap and sometimes even more reputable than some private Universities. I know this because when strike severely hit Lautech many of their students who would have protested for any little increase in tuition ran to Bowen to pay over 500k.

We can't allow Private Universities to die because if it does then we would know the true definition of Educational tourism. No private University is asking for money to build libraries. It is usually research fund they want. It is difficult to pay lecturers on NUC scale and still fund research in private universities. If you employ an MSc holder today in the next four years he will obtain a PhD hence his rank and pay must be reviewed and this makes the tuition to continue grow.

I am not saying this because of Covenant university which is wealthy enough to take care of herself. But many others that are not financially buoyant. All we are saying is give them the same opportunity to assess Tetfund research grant since the lecturers there are Nigerians. Why should Covenant b able to attract grant from US govt and be unable to attract from her govt.

He made a lot of sense. I hope the FG should look into this

2 Likes

Re: "FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo by Orobo2Lekpa: 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2017
Statsocial:
The Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi, has advised the Federal Government to set up a special fund for the development of private universities in Nigeria.

Oba Adeyemi gave the advice on Saturday at the 5th convocation of Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti (ABUAD).

Ivy League 300 x 250
“This university is an exemplar in learning and character. It is moulding Nigeria’s future leaders in the best fashion.

“And I believe it won’t be out of place for the federal government to give special intervention funds for private universities,” the Alaafin said.

TheNewsGuru reports that 21-year-old Ahwin Kevin Akporode of Department of Mechanical Engineering emerged the overall best of the 869 graduating students with cumulative Grade Point Average of 5.00.

The university also conferred honorary Doctor of Letters on former Executive Secretary of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Prof Peter Okebukola and an American Philanthropist and President of Project CURE Foundation, Dr Ike Onwubuya.

Earlier in an address of welcome, founder of the university, Chief Afe Babalola, said the university would not deviate from its focus to bridge the existing gap in functional education in Nigeria by its pragmatic approach to teaching.

Read Also: N918m fraud: I was detained in EFCC custody on Titi Atiku’s order, says Akpan-Jacobs
He appealed to the federal government to construct a airport in Ekiti, saying such project was long overdue, taking into cognizance the feats achieved by the university and its contributions to nation building.

“We started this university with about 250 students seven years ago, but today, we have 8,000 students here. We were able to achieve this because we deviated from the norm of just going to university to get certificates.

“We also exposed them to skills acquisition in baking, farming, Internet expertise, and other entrepreneurial skills that can make them cope under the present Nigeria’s economy.

“So the type of graduands you are seeing are thorough-bred graduates who can effectively stand on their own, “ Babalola said.

Also speaking at the ceremony, Governor of Ekiti State, Ayo Fayose, reminded the graduands to detach themselves from the erroneous impression that acquisition of university certificates would automatically make their lives better.

“It will be wrong for you to think that people only go to university to acquire certificates: No, it goes beyond that. What university education means is the training of a complete being,” Fayose said.

Read Also: Shares suspension: SEC’s directives illegal, aimed at ruining our business – Oando
Receiving the best graduating student award, Ahwin said he dedicated the academic laurel to his sterling parental guide, which he said was outstanding.

“I owe this achievement to my parents. My father’s strict military background and my mother’s guide as a teacher helped me a lot.

“When I got to ABUAD, I also applied the aphorism of our founder, which is industry, determination, learning and character. The combination of all these helped me a lot,” the young graduand said.

https://www.thenewsguru.com/alaafin-solicits-special-funding-private-universities/

Lalasticlala TheVictorious

Welcome development

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ALERT Notice: DIRECT ENTRY Form- Federal University Of Lokoja, Kogi State. / 17 Weird Murder Cases That'll Make You Really Fucking Uncomfortable / Nov/dec Waec Gce Result 2010 Is Out Today, 23rd December 2010,check Yours Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.