Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine (1621 Views)

Please I Need Your Advice On Nissan Quest 2012 / Advice On Nissan Altima 2000 Model / Electrical Faults, Brain Box, Burnt Coil, New Engine On Nissan Moran 04 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine by temmym4(m): 10:51am On Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought a second hand Nissan Primera P11,1.6 engine, 180,000km .
Prior to payment, i had a mechanic who checked the vehicle and confirmed it was ok but the only thing he noticed from the exhaust when he asked me to accelerate while he inspects coupled with the fact that the oil in the engine was short was that the rings/valve seals might be getting weaker and might need a change soon to prevent more expensive repair.
The same day he serviced the vehicle with new engine oil and filter. The oil he used was Super V 10W 50 instead of the 10W 40 recommended oil, why? He said due to the engine current situation, it might show improvement with the new oil.

Next morning, starting the vehicle brought out lots of blue smoke for some time and later it stopped, this continued every morning and reduced each and everyday and now i hardly notice smokes in the morning.

I have been checking the oil gauge and no noticeable oil drop (it s been 2 weeks after servicing and 450KM covered)

Apart from the smokes every morning few days after it was purchased (after oil + filter changed) (and it seems not to surface every morning anymore), the car has been performing wonderfully well.
My question is:
1. Why has this smoke stopped or reduced to the minimum?

Could it be that the previous owner didnt maintain it well?

Could it be that the New engine oil he used (10w50 instead of 10w40) worked out fine as the mechanic stated? Or should i flush out the oil and go for the usual recommended?

I can't afford another engine currently, Is it advisable to change the rings and valve seals as he stated and wont this have drastic effect on the vehicle ( I wont want to be visiting Kazeems every now and then due to car faults after engine repair)

Car gurus and experienced car owners. Kindly enlighten, advice and put me through.
God bless you.

Cc:
Ikenna351, GAZZUZZ
Re: Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine by woodrow(m): 11:49am On Oct 27, 2017
"The car has been performing wonderfully well"..
"After 2 weeks no noticeable oil drop"
Why do you then want to stress yourself?
Continue using your car ,service at intervals and enjoy your Nissan primera.mine was 2.0 SE.16 valve. Very strong and reliable.

1 Like

Re: Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine by temmym4(m): 5:58pm On Oct 27, 2017
woodrow:
"The car has been performing wonderfully well"..
"After 2 weeks no noticeable oil drop"
Why do you then want to stress yourself?
Continue using your car ,service at intervals and enjoy your Nissan primera.mine was 2.0 SE.16 valve. Very strong and reliable.

Thanks bro. am just scared maybe problems are gathering and hiding since it seems unusual for a smoking car to just stop. or maybe i was wrong. Am grateful bro.
if i may ask, what brand and type of engine oil do u use and how often do u service either in KM covered or number of months.

I ll also appreciate more advice and suggestions. Thanks
Re: Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine by woodrow(m): 6:10pm On Oct 27, 2017
temmym4:

Thanks bro. am just scared maybe problems are gathering and hiding since it seems unusual for a smoking car to just stop. or maybe i was wrong. Am grateful bro.
if i may ask, what brand and type of engine oil do u use and how often do u service either in KM covered or number of months.

I ll also appreciate more advice and suggestions. Thanks

Till I sold I was using Mobil xhp. I normally consider oil and filter change when I check the oil and I feel it's too light or black,mostly 4 months.it was just a like a back up car .if problems are hiding somewhere I'm sure you would know.you seem to be the observant type.pay attention to strange noises,make sure your temp gauge and oil pressure sign are working optimally.you are good to g and parts a 're relatively cheap and affordable.
Re: Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine by temmym4(m): 8:28am On Nov 02, 2017
**Update**

I haven't checked the oil lately (Since after my first post above)

I decided to check oil level this morning and i see the oil guage reduced to about 40% of the actual maximum level.

Also the smoke still persists in the morning sad

Kindly advice me, what should i do.

Should i keep topping the oil or just try and go with what the mechanic suggested i.e Changing the Rings/valve seals

My fear is, if the engine was opened and worked on, will it ever remain the same again causing me to visit Kazeem workshop everytime?

Please your "mature" advices are needed. Just don't view thread and exit.

Thanks.
Re: Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine by temmym4(m): 5:36am On Nov 04, 2017
Views keep increasing, yet no advice or solution
Re: Car Gurus, Please Come In. Advice Needed On Nissan Engine by oluwaseunla(m): 6:47am On Nov 04, 2017
temmym4:

I will advice you save up a bit, and replace that engine. It may be the cheaper option in the long run.

From experience, most ring jobs I've seen done by local mechs on that particular qg16 engine doesn't last for too long before the smoking resumes. In fact many of them that I know, have this bias against that particular engine. So you may end up going in circles if you go down that route.

In the interim, use CEPSA oil for service. 20W-50, yes. But for some reasons, it doesn't get short like other brands. It's a bit pricey, and you may have to source for it in Lagos. But it will save you a bit of cash in the meantime.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Used 2004 Toyota RAV4 FOR SALE @ N900,000 (Naira) / Confused On A New Car To Buy My Mother / Where To Find This In Ibadan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.