Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,294 members, 7,815,510 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 (2629 Views)

Nigerians’ll Starve To Death By 2050, If… —presidency / CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 / Hon. Abdullateef, Lagos Ex-lawmaker Marries Two Friends As 3rd And 4tl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 12:56am On Mar 17, 2010
Page last updated at 13:43 GMT, Friday, 12 March 2010
Digital Giants: Philip Emeagwali

The Nigerian-born supercomputer scientist speaks about how high speed data cables can connect Africa.
Philip Emeagwali has spoken to the BBC for the Digital Giants series, in which the digital world's top thinkers share their visions of the future. They tell us what they believe will be the next big thing online and how it will change our lives.
Digital Giants is part of SuperPower , a season of programmes on TV, radio and online exploring the extraordinary power of the internet.

Watch BBC video here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/sci_tech/digital_giants/8561413.stm
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 1:03am On Mar 17, 2010
I am not so sure I take him serious. grin
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 1:15am On Mar 17, 2010
But his stat falls in line only there will be no Republic of Nigeria by 2050.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 1:16am On Mar 17, 2010
He fails on the basis of making crazy assumptions etc. His importance is over stated and I am not sure I will listen to someone like him. And no, this is not because he is Nigerian.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 1:32am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

He fails on the basis of making crazy assumptions etc. His importance is over stated and I am not sure I will listen to someone like him. And no, this is not because he is Nigerian.

It is; Its only Nigerians who try to drag him to the mud. Just like you swept his claims that Nigeria will rise to the top 3 internet users by 2050 under the carpet without thinking it through or even watching the video. If his claims are not genuine, do you think CNN and BBC will ever give him audience without making fun of him?. They will rip him apart before 100 million viewers worldwide and insult him appropriately especially when he is black African. He will be so ashamed of himself that he will never come out from his basement for the rest of his life.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 1:36am On Mar 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

It is; Its only Nigerians who try to drag him to the mud. If his claims are not genuine, do you think CNN and BBC will ever give him audience without making fun of him?. They will rip him apart before 100 million viewers worldwide and insult him appropriately especially when he is black African.

I am not sure how Nigerians drag him to mud. Do you mind explaining?

You are right, the media can tear him down, but then the other argument is that perhaps the media is not focused on him. How many people really knows him?

Please see beyond this race and skin colour thing.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 1:37am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

I am not sure how Nigerians drag him to mud. Do you mind explaining?

You are right, the media can tear him down, but then the other argument is that perhaps the media is not focused on him. How many people really knows him?

Please see beyond this race and skin colour thing.

The BBC just interviewed him now and reported it as headline on their website. Which other media is more credible than the BBC and AP?. He is a scientist and not a celebrity. Reporting scientific breakthroughs and all that is no hot news like reporting on how celebrities farted yesterday before 10 am or some other bad news like the earthquake and wars.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by Fhemmmy: 1:38am On Mar 17, 2010
I think the dude is just going by Populations, and how could Nigeria be third, what would happen to
America
India
China
And other developed nations.
Or is he thinking that they are still making computers that dont use electricity?
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 1:40am On Mar 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I think the dude is just going by Populations, and how could Nigeria be third, what would happen to
America
India
China
And other developed nations.
Or is he thinking that they are still making computers that dont use electricity?

Did you watch the video?. I guess not because he mentioned China and India as 1st and 2nd and also explained why Nigeria will beat America's population by then.

Watch the video here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/sci_tech/digital_giants/8561413.stm
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 1:41am On Mar 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

The BBC just interviewed him now and reported it as headline on their website. Which other media is more credible than the BBC and AP?

A lot of controversial people have been interviewed by the media. The media have to be seen to give a balance etc.

Please explain to me as to how Nigerians are dragging him to the mud.

Here is a quick wiki on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Emeagwali#Court_case

Emeagwali received the $1,000[2]  1989 Gordon Bell Prize, based on an application of the CM-2 massively-parallel computer for oil-reservoir modeling. He won in the "price/performance" category, with a performance figure of 400 Mflops/$1M, corresponding to an absolute performance of 3.1 Gflops. (The winning entry in the "peak performance" category that year – coincidentally also for oil-related seismic data processing on a CM-2 – actually achieved 6 Gflops, or 500 Mflops/$1M, but the judges decided not to award both prizes to the same team.)[3][4]  This simulation was the first program to apply a pseudo-time approach to reservoir modeling.[5]

Apart from the prize itself, there is no evidence that Emeagwali's work was ever accepted for publication in the peer-reviewed scientific literature, nor that it had any other lasting impact on the field of high-performance computing or the development of the Internet.[6] Neither does he hold any recognized patents for his results.[7] (He does, however, own a US trademark for his website name, "EMEAGWALI.COM".)[8] Nevertheless, Emeagwali was voted the "35th-greatest African (and greatest African scientist) of all time" in a survey by New African magazine.[9] His achievements were quoted in a speech by Bill Clinton as an example of what Nigerians could achieve when given the opportunity.[10] He is also a frequent feature of Black History Month articles in the popular press.

Emeagwali studied for a Ph.D. degree from the University of Michigan from 1987 through 1991. His thesis was not accepted by a committee of internal and external examiners and thus he was not awarded the degree. Emeagwali filed a court challenge, stating that the decision was a violation of his civil rights and that the university had discriminated against him in several ways because of his race. The court challenge was dismissed, as was an appeal to the Michigan state Court of Appeals.

I suppose the white man wrote that one to discredit am abi?

grin
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 1:45am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

A lot of controversial people have been interviewed by the media. The media have to be seen to give a balance etc.

Please explain to me as to how Nigerians are dragging him to the mud.

Here is a quick wiki on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Emeagwali#Court_case

I suppose the white man wrote that one to discredit am abi?

grin

Can you approach me with a more intelligent discourse please. This topic has been beaten to death here overtime. How dare you use wikipedia as a source of reference?. Did you go to school at all?. Personally, I have created two approved wikipedia profiles and the whole information there are limited to what I think/believe about the person. Do the math.

If you are a student, don't ever cite any wikipedia source in your thesis because you will score ZERO.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 1:53am On Mar 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Can you approach me with a more intelligent discourse please. This topic has been beaten to death here overtime. How dare you use wikipedia as a source of reference?. Did you go to school at all?. Personally, I have created two approved wikipedia profiles and the whole information there are limited to what I think/believe about the person. Do the math.

If you are a student, don't ever cite any wikipedia source in your thesis because you will score ZERO.

Home boy slow down a minute.

Firstly, I am not your average nairalander you  can direct such drivel at.

Secondly, I have asked you repeated questions that you are yet to answer. And you wanna talk about intelligence?

Thirdly, the thing what you do not appear to understand is that Wiki can be good for a quick background check - they always give a source to where the information was taken from. In the case of this guy, there are referenced sources - just like you will find in any academic presentation.

Finally, this is not an academic environment, but an on-line forum. It is almost 1am here and quoting wiki for a quick reference is not a crime. It may be worth adding that I watched the interview before I made my post and in my opinion, I just do not take him serious. Something you seem to have an issue with.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 2:02am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

Home boy slow down a minute.

Firstly, I am not your average nairalander you  can direct such drivel at.

Secondly, I have asked you repeated questions that you are yet to answer. And you wanna talk about intelligence?

Thirdly, the thing what you do not appear to understand is that Wiki can be good for a quick background check - they always give a source to where the information was taken from. In the case of this guy, there are referenced sources - just like you will find in any academic presentation.

Finally, this is not an academic environment, but an on-line forum. It is almost 1am here and quoting wiki for a quick reference is not a crime. It may be worth adding that I watched the interview before I made my post and in my opinion, I just do not take him serious. Something you seem to have an issue with.

I honestly do not understand what you are blabbing.  Is it that you disagree with his claims that Nigeria will be a giant net consumer by 2050 or he is fraudulent.

If he is fraudulent, provide proof beyond WikI since you are not an average Nairalander[another internet claim]. I will agree on you not being an average Nairalander though because average Nairalanders do empathize with other when they lose loved ones to the cold hands of death and not by making mockery of them.

What was your question again that I am yet to answer because you sound like someone groping for air?
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by REALTRUTH1: 2:13am On Mar 17, 2010
Results of NECCO/WASC just came out.98% of students failed,,,how can there be internet/computer literacy when people don't want to be educated any more.
Scientific point of view,,emeagwali is right,,but realistically and practical point of view,,,he is wrong.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 2:16am On Mar 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

I honestly do not understand what you are blabbing.  Is it that you disagree with his claims that Nigeria will be a giant net consumer by 2050 or he is fraudulent.

If he is fraudulent, provide proof beyond WikI since you are not an average Nairalander[another internet claim]. I will agree on you not being an average Nairalander though because average Nairalanders do empathize with other when they lose loved ones to the cold hands of death and not by making mockery of them.

What was your question again that I am yet to answer because you sound like someone groping for air?

If you take time to read, perhaps it may actually sink in? Just a thought.

I am not taking his claims serious was my stance. There is a difference between not taking someone serious and disagreeing with them.

You have stated people drag his name to the mud, I have asked you to explain this. Hopefully you will.

He's promoted himself as the Father of the internet, even though this claims are not true in the slightest. The internet already already existed in a format in which his works was not needed or ever used. So, why go around to promote yourself on something that you did not have a handiwork in.

Here is Philip making his claims [Taken from his own website]

http://emeagwali.com/speeches/2009/Switzerland_April-17-2009/please-allow-me-to-introduce-myself_PHILIP-EMEAGWALI.pdf

Here is the proper explanation of what he really did and how it he is not the father of the internet.

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/history/emeagwali.html

Those are just a few I looked up. Then there are other factors that suggest he cannot be taken serious.

Oh it may be worth that his appearance on BBC is more to do with his "Editorial tour" i.e speaking events etc. that is on his website. As of April 2010, he is meant to be speaking on "The future of internet and computing". Perhaps we are seeing exactly that now? [promoting himself etc]

As for the rest of your post, you claim am spoiling for air, yet you seem hell bent on bringing up some issue that you forgot to mention that I apologised for. How nice of you. Please don't be clutching for straws next time.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by SEFAGO(m): 2:18am On Mar 17, 2010
Emeagwali, after Anajemba, is one of the greatest frauds produced by Nigeria grin
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 2:18am On Mar 17, 2010
REAL TRUTH:

Scientific point of view,,emeagwali is right,,but realistically and practical point of view,,,he is wrong.

One of the many things that came to my mind.

I am not sure he takes into consideration a lot of factors.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by olafolarin(m): 2:30am On Mar 17, 2010
Some folks are just too proud of that fraud called Emeagwali, His PhD thesis was even rejected and he makes so much noise,
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 2:32am On Mar 17, 2010
olafolarin:

Some folks are just too proud of that fraud called Emeagwali, His PhD thesis was even rejected and he makes so much noise,

Aloy Emeka = Igbo

Emagwelu philips = Igbo

You do the maths.

grin

Seriously, I won't call him a fraud, but his claims are misleading [which in the eyes of some will make him a fraud].
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 2:35am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

If you take time to read, perhaps it may actually sink in? Just a thought.

I am not taking his claims serious was my stance. There is a difference between not taking someone serious and disagreeing with them.

You have stated people drag his name to the mud, I have asked you to explain this. Hopefully you will.

He's promoted himself as the Father of the internet, even though this claims are not true in the slightest. The internet already already existed in a format in which his works was not needed or ever used. So, why go around to promote yourself on something that you did not have a handiwork in.

Here is Philip making his claims [Taken from his own website]

http://emeagwali.com/speeches/2009/Switzerland_April-17-2009/please-allow-me-to-introduce-myself_PHILIP-EMEAGWALI.pdf

Here is the proper explanation of what he really did and how it he is not the father of the internet.

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/history/emeagwali.html

Those are just a few I looked up. Then there are other factors that suggest he cannot be taken serious.

Oh it may be worth that his appearance on BBC is more to do with his "Editorial tour" i.e speaking events etc. that is on his website. As of April 2010, he is meant to be speaking on "The future of internet and computing". Perhaps we are seeing exactly that now? [promoting himself etc]

As for the rest of your post, you claim am spoiling for air, yet you seem hell bent on bringing up some issue that you forgot to mention that I apologised for. How nice of you. Please don't be clutching for straws next time.

Didn't you assert initially that you are not disagreeing with him because of his Nigerianess and I replied by claiming that it is part of it. Can I get one credible site/ academic report that disagrees with his work apart from these junk pages that may infect my computer with virus. Anybody can write any thrash, create a URL for it and post it on the web. Damn, that page does not have a single author.

I am not Emeagwali's fan if I may let you know but my stance is this: If his claim is fraudulent, why has he continued to receive awards with them and bought himself cheap popularity in the US whilst a professor in a renowned American university?. I can understand him making fraudulent claims on his website like anybody may do but getting renowned awards and audience from BBC and CNN is another story. There is a missing link here. It's either you and me do not get a grip of his claim or something is wrong.

YOU CANNOT TAKE A SCIENTIFIC PROPAGANDA TO A RENOWNED MEDIA HOUSE IN TODAY'S WORLD OTHERWISE THEY WILL DISGRACE YOU. BBC is not NTA, they usually do extensive research and when in doubt, they state it clearly that the claim is unverified. They do so for dear of litigation and what their competitors might do to them if discovered.

If you are convinced that Emeagwali is a fraud, you may forward your credible proof to CNN and AP; I am sure they will give you some change and eventually nail BBC to the wall with that story but don't forward Wikipedia or Botell to them. It will make you look like a fool.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 2:36am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

Aloy Emeka = Igbo

Emagwelu philips = Igbo

You do the maths.

grin

Seriously, I won't call him a fraud, but his claims are misleading [which in the eyes of some will make him a fraud].

Everything in nairaland boils down to tribe. Who told you am Igbo?. You've just explained why you post junk letters written by the likes of Becomerich to prove your point. Ndo. 
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by Fhemmmy: 2:36am On Mar 17, 2010
ElRazur:

Aloy Emeka = Igbo

Emagwelu philips = Igbo

You do the maths.

grin

His claims are not only misleading, but so funny.
A laptop per school and yet the school has no light. . . .Villages that has no access to water will now start worrying about how to get connected to the internet?
LIke he said, Africa need to catch up and i will like to know his view on how Africa could catch up.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by EzeUche(m): 2:39am On Mar 17, 2010
You see people are trying to attack because he is Igbo. If he was Yoruba, they would not be saying anything.

Why do I want to be in a nation for of haters on the Igbo?

I even seen people on Nairaland mock the great Chinua Achebe. Yeye fools.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by Fhemmmy: 2:43am On Mar 17, 2010
EzeUche:

You see people are trying to attack because he is Igbo. If he was Yoruba, they would not be saying anything.

Why do u see this as an attack on IboÉ
Would u prefer people to just agree with just anything all cos people cant speak their mind.
Tell me if you think that his claims makes sense . . . . . I do agree that africa cant afford one laptop per child, but one laptop per school is a joke and tell how they are supposed to share such laptop, except in such school that only has 10 students.

I will admit that Nigeria might be great in cell phone usage, cos that is all people now uses for internet and all other stuff.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 2:44am On Mar 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

His claims are not only misleading, but so funny.
A laptop per school and yet the school has no light. . . .Villages that has no access to water will now start worrying about how to get connected to the internet?
LIke he said, Africa need to catch up and i will like to know his view on how Africa could catch up.

It was not a claim, rather it was a suggestion and the suggestion is futuristic[2050]. He said there is no way Africa will afford that amount to buy children laptops and blah blah blah and he also asserted on how the internet will help change Nigeria's selectocracy to proper democracy and other also helps in counting. What is fraudulent or senseless in what he said?. Is it now a crime for a man to dream of  a perfect and super rich Nigeria by 2050?  
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by Fhemmmy: 2:46am On Mar 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

It was not a claim, rather it was a suggestion and the suggestion is futuristic[2050]. He said there is no way Africa will afford that amount to buy children laptops and blah blah blah and he also asserted on how the internet will help change Nigeria's selectocracy to proper democracy and other also helps in counting. What is fraudulent or senseless in what he said?. Is it now a crime for a man to dream of  a perfect and super rich Nigeria by 2050?  

A super rich Nigeria that will have one laptop per school in 2050 . . . . .that does not sound super rich to me.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by EzeUche(m): 2:49am On Mar 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

The only people I see attacking this man on this thread are Yorubas. Pure rubbish. If he good enough to be on BBC, darn it he is definitely good enough to speak his mind on this issue.

Do not be mad, because he was invited to speak to BBC. They didn't ask a Yoruba, they asked a proud Igbo so cry me a river.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 2:50am On Mar 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Would u prefer people to just agree with just anything all cos people cant speak their mind.
Tell me if you think that his claims makes sense . . . . . I do agree that africa cant afford one laptop per child, but one laptop per school is a joke and tell how they are supposed to share such laptop, except in such school that only has 10 students.

I will admit that Nigeria might be great in cell phone usage, cos that is all people now uses for internet and all other stuff.

That is the premise for El-Haters arguement and SefOgo's. All they do is look at the name and pass judgment. EL-Hater who claims not to be an ordinary nairalander yet he  was making fun of a murder victim even assumed I am Igbo and at a point, he couldn't  stomach it. I bet you, If Barrack Obama is Nigerian, rival tribalists will make sure they scandalize his name wherever they can and discredit him among Americans until he fails the election. The country is in ethnic shambles.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by AloyEmeka5: 2:53am On Mar 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

A super rich Nigeria that will have one laptop per school in 2050 . . . . .that does not sound super rich to me.

He said one laptop per student and not per school. Either way, it's an improvement and I don't see the basis for criticizing this man over his BBC interview. Even if the interview was given by Aondokaa, I may not like him as a person but I will still see the objectivity in what he is saying but tribal goons will rubbish everything he says and find holes to justify it. My question again is : What is his crime for dreaming big for Nigeria even if it is not feasible at the rate we are crawling?

If someone says something against Nigeria's unity, you people will attack him /her and call him/her names, if another says something pro Nigeria, he will also be rubbished. Make una take one o.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by Fhemmmy: 2:56am On Mar 17, 2010
EzeUche:

The only people I see attacking this man on this thread are Yorubas. Pure rubbish. If he good enough to be on BBC, darn he is definitely good enough to speak his mind on this issue.

Do not be mad, because he was invited to speak to BBC. They didn't ask a Yoruba, they asked a proud Igbo so cry me a river.

I refuse to see tribe . . . .I am a Nigerian and i will say it the way it is, however, i cld see that you wanna play the tribal card, so i am done with it.
If you wanna debate something without throwing in the tribal card, then, we cld talk more.
Even a fake voice of Yaradua made it to BBC . . . .  tongue
Like i said, i do agree with some of his comments, but talking of one laptop per school . . . .that was a joke.
Aloy+Emeka:

That is the premise for El-Haters arguement and SefOgo's. All they do is look at the name and pass judgment. EL-Hater who claims not to be an ordinary nairalander yet he  was making fun of a murder victim even assumed I am Igbo and at a point, he couldn't  stomach it. I bet you, If Barrack Obama is Nigerian, rival tribalists will make sure they scandalize his name wherever they can and discredit him among Americans until he fails the election. The country is in ethnic shambles.

Those that argues based on the tribe are short sighted . . . . i argue based on what he says.
Like the guys said that Africa needs to catch up first and hope we cld defeat that challenge first.
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 3:01am On Mar 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Didn't you assert initially that you are not disagreeing with him because of his Nigerianess and I replied by claiming that it is part of it. Can I get one credible site/ academic report that disagrees with his work apart from these junk pages that may infect my computer with virus. Anybody can write any thrash, create a URL for it and post it on the web. Damn, that page does not have a single author.

Huh. I am not taking him serious is my stance. I am not sure if that can be made any clearer.

You have rejected every proof handed over to you. Sorry, what will be credible to you?  Are you saying you ain't opening a page because you think you may be infected?   What an excuse.

Look, here are the reasons his claims as father of the internet are misleading. He worked on connection machine - used for A.I et al. But then, his work have no bearing on the internet and as such he is not the father of internet. Surely, all you have to do his read up what he worked on and its application. Critical thinking and all that.

I am not Emeagwali's fan if I may let you know but my stance is this: If his claim is fraudulent, why has he continued to receive awards with them and bought himself cheap popularity in the US whilst a professor in a renowned American university?. I can understand him making fraudulent claims on his website like anybody may do but getting renowned awards and audience from BBC and CNN is another story. There is a missing link here. It's either you and me do not get a grip of his claim or something is wrong.

I don't remember saying he is fraudulent. If I did, excuse me. I think my point is his claims are misleading. You appear to get defensive the instant I posted the original wiki links etc.

Again you are missing the point. He appeared on BBC to speak about computing and Africa and not how the internet was invented or how he became the father of the internet. I am not sure why you keep coming across like his interview on BBC proved his claims are not misleading.

So wait, you admitted he made "fraudulent claims" on his website? So what is your problem when I am trying to say his claims are misleading? I am not sure about you, but allow me to speak for myself. His website claims he is the father of internet, when in actual fact what he worked on was never the basis or used to invent the internet. That is the point. I think it is you missing the point.

YOU CANNOT TAKE A SCIENTIFIC PROPAGANDA TO A RENOWNED MEDIA HOUSE IN TODAY'S WORLD OTHERWISE THEY WILL DISGRACE YOU. BBC is not NTA, they usually do extensive research and when in doubt, they state it clearly that the claim is unverified. They do so for dear of litigation and what their competitors might do to them if discovered.

You are just saying something irrelevant now. Again he gave a three minute interview on what he foresees happening in the Africa about internet etc, not about how the internet was invented. How is that taking "propaganda" [let's assume that was the right word to use]

Again, please take on board what I am saying. BBC have interviewed a few controversial people. They are a media outlet and it is what they do - Give balance.

If you are convinced that Emeagwali is a fraud, you may forward your credible proof to CNN and AP; I am sure they will give you some change and eventually nail BBC to the wall with that story but don't forward Wikipedia or Botell to them. It will make you look like a fool.

Stop jumping please. I am yet to say he is a fraud. I am saying his claims are misleading. Please refer back to the explanation I gave already.

It is your problem and prerogative if you wont accept links provided to you and not mine

Please put your thinking cap on, look at what he it was reported he won the award for and what he worked on. None of these have bearing on the internet like he claimed. You do not need certified author to look these things up.

Aloy+Emeka:

Everything in nairaland boils down to tribe. Who told you am Igbo?. You've just explained why you post junk letters written by the likes of Becomerich to prove your point. Ndo. 

Here let me give you a simple tip. When ever I used this smiley here -----> grin<----- [this one] please do not take that post  serious. It is a joke. Especially, when it is obvious it is a joke. Besides, I showed some seriousness by saying "Seriously.    .     .    ." but it appears once again you left that one out.

EzeUche:

No I am not taking him serious because his interview missed a lot of factors and his claims as a scientist are misleading.

Chinua Achebe, I have 100% respect for. He is a writer and a damn good one too. Don't care if he is igbo hausa or Togolese. grin

Anyone who mock Achebe should be shot. smiley
Re: Digital Giants: Emeagwali Predicts Nigeria As 3rd Best Internet Customer By 2050 by ElRazur: 3:05am On Mar 17, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Let me guess, your arguments are weak, feeling frustrated and see the need to clutch some more straws right?

Yes I made a joke in a thread that requires sensitivity. I also apologised. Something you are failing to mention. Gosh, you must be desperate for something to say. I won't bother replying to you on this one.

To try and turn this into a tribal thing is a joke on you. Clearly, you arguments are weak and it appears you needed something to save face. Keep it up, the joke is on you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Swears In First Female Chief Economic Adviser / Presidential Election Results / Are These (looters) Guys Dumb, High Or What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.