Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? (2953 Views)

Olusola Ayoola: Nigeria Can Earn Forex From Robotics, Artificial Intelligence / Silas Adekunle Shuts Down Reach Robotics In UK / Nigeria’s 26 Years Old Robotic Engr, Highest Paid In Robotics Engr In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by KronicMorris(m): 5:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
Um... hi NL... I'm 15 and by next year I'm hoping to get into a varsity and study my dream course (Robotics engineering /technology)...
But unfortunately, Nigeria has no varsities offering that course so I did some research And I found some alternatives and I want first-class advice on this (specifically from Nigeria and NL is the right platform) ....
So based on my findings, I'm gonna pick between
•Computer Science
•Electronics engineering
•Mechatronics engineering.

So, is there anyone offering the above courses and can someone advice me on my best bet if I will venture into Robotics later on...

CC: Nemesis4U, WhiZTiM, Ebrus1, Lalasticlala, Cao, Mynd44, Thegamingorca, Phoneguy, Mirand606...
Re: What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2017
KronicMorris:
Um... hi NL... I'm 15 and by next year I'm hoping to get into a varsity and study my dream course (Robotics engineering /technology)...
But unfortunately, Nigeria has no varsities offering that course so I did some research And I found some alternatives and I want first-class advice on this (specifically from Nigeria and NL is the right platform) ....
•Computer Science
•Electronics engineering

So, is there anyone offering the above courses and can someone advice me on my best bet if I will venture into Robotics later on...

CC: Nemesis4U, WhiZTiM, Ebrus1, Lalasticlala, Cao, Mynd44, Thegamingorca, Phoneguy, Mirand606...

unfortunately i have no info on ur main question

but i will advice u this
since ur 15 years old only , in ur free time acquire good knowledge on C and C++ ,

especially C because it will give u a good grip and basic grounding on programming skills which will prove invaluable later on and build the foundations for specialized languages. also it will be a big bonus incase u choose non computer science engg branch.

do this in ur free time , buy 2 good books on above , download a compiler and start coding

Robotics involves multiple domains, u cannot be a jack of all , what ever branch u choose , will limit ur further specialization concerning robotics to a certain extent.
Re: What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by WhiZTiM(m): 6:17pm On Oct 29, 2017
I assume you know the kind of stuff you dream of building.

While the course you will study for your undergraduate degree provides basic foundations for your occupation; Years into your career, things you did in your undergrad will likely be less visible in portfolio.

So, the closest to what you seek is in Mechatronics Engineering. It first appeared in Nigerian schools around 2010 (I stand to be corrected). So, we have at most 3 graduated sets as per COREN/NUC's 5 year Engineering plan (I wish it was flexible)... Judging NYSC atop, we have at most 2 sets in the job market. So, there are fewer people who can speak of their experiences.

However, a little search online shows me what the typical curriculum will look like; as seen in Bayero University, Kano's course outline for Mechatronics Engineering. Judging by the contents, you are good to go.

Good to go, except: I don't see any course dedicated to Kinematics and Dynamics; and Path (Motion) Planning, neither any on Autonomous Systems or even Computer Vision (though, not strictly necessary, there are other sensory methods). So, you would have to study these on your own. I studied Mechanical Engineering back in school; And I was very much interested in Control Systems, as thought in Electrical Engineering then (We also did too, but for just a semester), I can tell you that the depth which Control and Systems Engineering is being thought in Nigerian universities is poor. You'll also need to go father than your curricula on this.

- You will need a great deal of knowing how to program. With strong emphasis on embedded systems. This means you'll do yourself a lot of good to learn C++.

- You'll do yourself a lot of good to get Arduino Kits, and some Raspberry Pi to start experimenting with...

...Source? My job occasionally involves Systems Engineering. And I have Arduino Kits (Mega, Uno, Uno); Have Raspberry Pis, plenty actuators and toys....and love coding
Re: What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by KronicMorris(m): 7:35pm On Oct 29, 2017
nemesis4u:

unfortunately i have no info on ur main question

but i will advice u this
since ur 15 years old only , in ur free time acquire good knowledge on C and C++ ,

especially C because it will give u a good grip and basic grounding on programming skills which will prove invaluable later on and build the foundations for specialized languages. also it will be a big bonus incase u choose non computer science engg branch.

do this in ur free time , buy 2 good books on above , download a compiler and start coding

Robotics involves multiple domains, u cannot be a jack of all , what ever branch u choose , will limit ur further specialization concerning robotics to a certain extent.

I really appreciate your advice and I hope it'll prove productive(which I know it will)... and I've done pretty much in programming and I know a little bit of C and C++ (majorly python but since you didn't mention that)... I pray it'll be accredited by next year
Re: What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by KronicMorris(m): 7:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
WhiZTiM:
I assume you know the kind of stuff you dream of building.

While the course you will study for your undergraduate degree provides basic foundations for your occupation; Years into your career, things you did in your undergrad will likely be less visible in portfolio.

So, the closest to what you seek is in Mechatronics Engineering. It first appeared in Nigerian schools around 2010 (I stand to be corrected). So, we have at most 2 graduated sets as per COREN/NUC's 5 year Engineering plan (I wish it was flexible)... Judging NYSC atop, we have 1 set in the job market. So, there are fewer people who can speak of their experiences.

However, a little search online shows me what the typical curriculum will look like; as seen in Bayero University, Kano's course outline for Mechatronics Engineering. Judging by the contents, you are good to go.

Except: I don't see any course dedicated to Kinematics and Dynamics; and Path (Motion) Planning, neither any on Autonomous Systems or even Computer Vision (though, not strictly necessary, there are other sensory methods). So, you would have to study these on your own. I studied Mechanical Engineering back in school; And I was very much interested in Control Systems, as thought in Electrical Engineering then (We also did too, but for just a semester), I can tell you that the depth which Control and Systems Engineering is being thought in Nigerian universities is poor. You'll also need to go father than your curricula on this.

- You will need a great deal of knowing how to program. With strong emphasis on embedded systems. This means you'll do yourself a lot of good to learn C++.

- You'll do yourself a lot of good to get Arduino Kits, and some Raspberry Pi to start experimenting with...

...Source? My job occasionally involves Systems Engineering. And I have Arduino Kits (Mega, Uno, Uno); Have Raspberry Pis, plenty actuators and toys....and love coding

Your assumptions are quite true..

And from the looks of it, Mechatronics is the best option and considering the future of it, it won't be futile for me and others that aspire the same...
I have an up-top understanding with programming and thanks I really appreciate it...
But the arduino and Raspberry Pi will have to wait till then because I'd rather buy it online and Nothing Tech is here in Bayelsa...
Re: What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by nathanccr(m): 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2017
KronicMorris:
•Computer Science
•Electronics engineering

Mechatronics is a good alternative though
Re: What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 18, 2018
Am happy with my course of study mechatronics.
Re: What's the best Robotics alternative in Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 03, 2019
KronicMorris:
•Computer Science
•Electronics engineering

Try go to www.rainigeria.com

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Fridge Doors Hard To Open Immediately After They Are Shut Close? / Starcomms Introduces 50 Hours Internet Package / Simple Steps To Unlock Ur Old And New Huawei Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.