Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? (3029 Views)

Learn how to Speak Hausa Language Fluently / Hausa/Fulani Girls Are The Most Beautiful In Nigeria [Photos] / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by urahara(m): 8:42am On Oct 30, 2017
Did Hausa Language originate from Arabic ,If not so , what is the origin of the language ?

Cc

Fulaman198

Paretomaster

Fk001

Naijacitizen

Etc
Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by urahara(m): 9:09am On Oct 30, 2017
Iamlegend1. You can also contribute even though you are not Hausa.
Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by IamLEGEND1: 9:27am On Oct 30, 2017
While the larger part of the hausa dialect is distinctly separate from any other language in the world, a significant percentage of the words used are extracted from a host of other languages that can be traced back to the earliest civilizations with Arabic being the most influential of them all. which is in no small part thanks to the contact between 16-17th century Arabian merchants and the people of the west African subregion and some parts of the Central African peninsula stretching even as far as some parts of western Sudan to the east. Then Islam came into the equation and even more words seeped into the dialect.

Then there is also the numerous similarities between the hausa and yoruba languages that is worth a second take. Whether yoruba absorbed some of the hausa language or hausa adopted some yoruba words, I have no idea. But either way, every language in this world at one point or the other has taken a number of words from other languages.

Disclaimer: This is not entirely factual as I'm only blending together things I know and those I experienced.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 30, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
While the larger part of the hausa dialect is distinctly separate from any other language in the world, a significant percentage of the words used are extracted from a host of other languages that can be traced back far to the earliest civilizations with Arabic being the most influential of them all. which is in no small part thanks to the contact between 16-17th century Arabian merchants and the people of the west African subregion and some parts of the Central African peninsula stretching even as far as to some parts of western Sudan to the east. Then Islam came into the equation and even more words seeped into the dialect.

Then there is also the numerous similarities between the hausa and yoruba languages that is worth a second take. Whether yoruba absorbed some of the hausa language or hausa adopted some yoruba words, I have no idea. But either way, every language in this world at one point or the other has taken a number of words from other languages.

Disclaimer: This is not entirely factual as I'm only blending together things I know and those I experienced experience.

Similarities between hausa and Yoruba are usually words from Arabic that were adopted especially for items that don't have a local meaning.

For instance, onion was not originally indigenous to these parts of africa. When the hausas got this from the Arabs who call it basl, hausas began to call it albasa and through their trade with the southwest, they in turn adopted the name alubosa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 30, 2017
Hausa and Arabic belong to the same language family (afro asiatic). One was not derived from the other but it is stipulated that people that speak this language family used to speak the same language and were the same people before migration, intermixing, cultural assimilation and other factors led to their distinct identities today.

Google afro asiatic urheimat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by Probz(m): 3:16pm On Oct 30, 2017
It’s of the Afro-Asiatic branch. That’s as much as I can say about that.
Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by Fulaman198(m): 4:06pm On Oct 30, 2017
As aforementioned, Hausa and Arabic Are both Afro-Asiatic languages. Other languages in this family include Somali, Amharic, Tigriniya, Ngas, Tamashaq and other languages spoken in the Sahel region of Africa. Hebrew is also a part of this family.

Afro-Asiatic languages all have their respective roots in East Africa, and originated from there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by Fulaman198(m): 4:07pm On Oct 30, 2017
urahara:
Iamlegend1. You can also contribute even though you are not Hausa.

I'm not Hausa either, I'm Fulani FYI
Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by urahara(m): 4:16pm On Oct 30, 2017
Fulaman198:

I'm not Hausa either, I'm Fulani FYI

I know that , but your knowledge on the Hausa culture and history as well as other cultures is extremely vast.smiley which was why the question was directed to you.

You are the official Nairaland oracle
Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by Naijacitizen(m): 5:39pm On Oct 30, 2017
No, it is not. It only borrowed some words from Arabic.
Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by Naijacitizen(m): 5:41pm On Oct 30, 2017
No, it is not. It only borrow some words from Arabic.
Re: Was Hausa Language Extracted From Arabic ? by urahara(m): 6:17pm On Oct 30, 2017
WeissBarlow:
Hausa and Arabic belong to the same language family (afro asiatic). One was not derived from the other but it is stipulated that people that speak this language family used to speak the same language and were the same people before migration, intermixing, cultural assimilation and other factors led to their distinct identities today.

Google afro asiatic urheimat.

Thank u very much , this turned out to be very useful

(1) (Reply)

Accelerationism / Secrets Behind The Success Of Yorubas / Young Ladies Almost Got Unclad In The Name Of Culture In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.