Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace (1580 Views)

Police Smash ‘one Million Boys’, Arrest 8 During Operation / Suspected Malaysian Thief Robbing Nigerians, Seen Begging After Being Caught / Brother And Sister Arrested As Police Smash Deadly Robbery Syndicate. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by Atandakk: 9:35am On Nov 02, 2017
NewsmakersNG
http://www.newsmakersng.com/2017/11/02/police-smash-lagos-gangsters-robbing-nigerians-on-jiji-online-marketplace/
Segun Atanda/
The police in Lagos have smashed an organised crime ring through which Nigerians buying phones on the internet were being robbed on a daily basis.
Two of the gangsters, now in police net, told NewsmakersNG how they were robbing victims who responded to iPhone sales adverts placed on one of the country’s biggest classified websites and online marketplaces which brings buyers and sellers together – www..
Thirty-five-year-old Alade Olalekan and Olumide Oluwole, 31, contrived a means of returning fake money to those who they lure to the Computer Village in Ikeja, Lagos, to make payment for iPhones advertised on Jiji.
According to them, as soon as they receive cash payment on the street where they have arranged to meet the prospective customer, they cause distractions by raising an alarm that Police Task Force Officers are coming.
As the buyer is wondering what’s going on, the gangsters would hastily end the transaction by returning the wad of naira notes collected, without the customer suspecting that they had cleverly replaced the money with brown paper covered with two or more notes. Then, they run away as if task force officers were coming for them.
By the time the customer realizes the scam, there would be nobody to hold.
“We make up to N60, 000 each time we do this. We started about six months ago,” Olalekan said. “I will just log in my e-mail address and enter their () site to place goods. We place big phones online at cheap rates. I’ve opened three accounts. At times, they will ban my account and I will open another one.”
According to the suspects, more victims fall into the trap at the end of every month when workers have just received salaries.
Lagos police boss, Mr Imohimi Edgal, told NewsmakersNG more about the scam and how his men smashed the syndicate.
He says in a statement: “On Monday October 30, 2017 at about 15:00hrs through the Trust-Built Community Police & Safety Partnership, intelligence report was received from a concerned citizen who had previously been defrauded.
The victim, who was defrauded through a phone contact number 08081273170 gotten online at www. website after purchasing an iPhone6 (64gb) for the sum of N70,000 and was to make a physical payment before receiving the product, was lured to make the payment to one of the suspects at Awolowo way around computer village, Ikeja.
“After the victim had made the payment, she was manipulated to believe that task force officials were after them. In that confused state, the cash she handed over to suspected fraudsters was later exchanged with neatly cut-to-size papers covered with three genuine N1000 notes presented as the complete money. It was hurriedly refunded to her. On further confirmation of the money, it was discovered to be a scam of ordinary paper notes.
“The victim reported to the police and gave full information which led to the tracking of suspected online fraud syndicate by Lagos police personnel of the SIB who...(See gangsters pictures and more) http://www.newsmakersng.com/2017/11/02/police-smash-lagos-gangsters-robbing-nigerians-on-jiji-online-marketplace/

1 Share

Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by wolfofallstreet(m): 9:43am On Nov 02, 2017
Ftc FP material
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by richeeyo(m): 10:30am On Nov 02, 2017
When inside shop de their they want cheap things
You get cheap trouble too
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by BUHARIjubrin: 3:08pm On Nov 02, 2017
Only Yoropigs can fall victim of such cheap tactics
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by JohnHopra: 8:26pm On Nov 02, 2017
Atandakk:
NewsmakersNG
http://www.newsmakersng.com/2017/11/02/police-smash-lagos-gangsters-robbing-nigerians-on-jiji-online-marketplace/
Segun Atanda/
The police in Lagos have smashed an organised crime ring through which Nigerians buying phones on the internet were being robbed on a daily basis.
Two of the gangsters, now in police net, told NewsmakersNG how they were robbing victims who responded to iPhone sales adverts placed on one of the country’s biggest classified websites and online marketplaces which brings buyers and sellers together – www..
Thirty-five-year-old Alade Olalekan and Olumide Oluwole, 31, contrived a means of returning fake money to those who they lure to the Computer Village in Ikeja, Lagos, to make payment for iPhones advertised on Jiji.
According to them, as soon as they receive cash payment on the street where they have arranged to meet the prospective customer, they cause distractions by raising an alarm that Police Task Force Officers are coming.
As the buyer is wondering what’s going on, the gangsters would hastily end the transaction by returning the wad of naira notes collected, without the customer suspecting that they had cleverly replaced the money with brown paper covered with two or more notes. Then, they run away as if task force officers were coming for them.
By the time the customer realizes the scam, there would be nobody to hold.
“We make up to N60, 000 each time we do this. We started about six months ago,” Olalekan said. “I will just log in my e-mail address and enter their () site to place goods. We place big phones online at cheap rates. I’ve opened three accounts. At times, they will ban my account and I will open another one.”
According to the suspects, more victims fall into the trap at the end of every month when workers have just received salaries.
Lagos police boss, Mr Imohimi Edgal, told NewsmakersNG more about the scam and how his men smashed the syndicate.
He says in a statement: “On Monday October 30, 2017 at about 15:00hrs through the Trust-Built Community Police & Safety Partnership, intelligence report was received from a concerned citizen who had previously been defrauded.
The victim, who was defrauded through a phone contact number 08081273170 gotten online at www. website after purchasing an iPhone6 (64gb) for the sum of N70,000 and was to make a physical payment before receiving the product, was lured to make the payment to one of the suspects at Awolowo way around computer village, Ikeja.
“After the victim had made the payment, she was manipulated to believe that task force officials were after them. In that confused state, the cash she handed over to suspected fraudsters was later exchanged with neatly cut-to-size papers covered with three genuine N1000 notes presented as the complete money. It was hurriedly refunded to her. On further confirmation of the money, it was discovered to be a scam of ordinary paper notes.
“The victim reported to the police and gave full information which led to the tracking of suspected online fraud syndicate by Lagos police personnel of the SIB who...(See gangsters pictures and more) http://www.newsmakersng.com/2017/11/02/police-smash-lagos-gangsters-robbing-nigerians-on-jiji-online-marketplace/
Because of such idiots, honest sellers can not normally trade on Jiji!
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by damiplovR(f): 11:11pm On Nov 02, 2017
Nigerian is a very Good and blessed country walai. It’s Nigerians that are bad later dem go dey shout government this government that. What about u and I the non government? We all need to be better pple biko
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by Lordspicy(m): 12:44am On Nov 03, 2017
Lol see person hustle.yoruba ppl sef
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by Ivobobul: 7:12pm On Nov 03, 2017
JohnHopra:

Because of such idiots, honest sellers can not normally trade on Jiji!
Nothing bad about Jiji i can not say. Often I buy myself things there, everything went smoothly !
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by inotice: 7:16pm On Nov 03, 2017
When some greedy broke ass niccurs will be anticipating, delighted and wont think twice of purchasing an Iphone6s going for 20,000 naira, why why wont people be scammed? Tell me.I am tempted to say that they should free those boy jere.For the most part, only greedy people fall for their pranks.

1 Like

Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by Ezionye(f): 7:34pm On Nov 03, 2017
Its only in crime that such creativity comes up.

1 Like

Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by fellom(m): 3:42pm On Nov 04, 2017
your father
BUHARIjubrin:
Only Yoropigs can fall victim of such cheap tactics
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by BiggSmoke: 3:25pm On Nov 05, 2017
Ivobobul:

Nothing bad about Jiji can not say. Often I buy myself things there, everything went smoothly !
To Jiji never had any questions ! But people who do not follow the minimum safety rules, so it is necessary. Maybe they will become smarter!
Re: Police Smash Lagos Gangsters Robbing Nigerians On Jiji Online Marketplace by lobell: 7:08am On Feb 26, 2018
All these stories do not arise at all on Nigeria's number one escrow service and marketplace also known as the Nigerian ebay. See link below.

(1) (Reply)

Girl Was Caught Masturbating But Can't Stop , Even In Front Of Police / My Parents Forced Me To Dress Like A Female On My Wedding Day / Lecturer Caught Pants Down Trying To Sexually Harass A Student (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.