Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,568 members, 7,816,393 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners (3885 Views)

15 Mostly Repeated Topics In JAMB Physics Exams / The Most Asked Topics In Jamb Physics / JAMB Physics 2017 Complete 40 Questions Solved/explained Video | JAMB 2018 PREP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 3:27pm On Nov 02, 2017

Hello! I am a Chemical Engineering student, and I love physics. smiley

In this thread, I would be explaining difficult concepts in physics using simple language that everyone would be able to understand.

physics may be difficult to understand, but it could be easy too smiley

3 Likes

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by 4kings: 11:43pm On Nov 04, 2017
@LordeCalifornia
I'm in...
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 05, 2017
Let me park my car here.

But I love physics, the only science subject I hate is biology.

But I'm in... grin

1 Like

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by pabostt: 10:41am On Nov 05, 2017
Nice one op. Physics is very interesting and easy to pass if you can be patient to understand the concept.

I have a section on my blog where I have explained topics in Cambridge A level Physics, UTME physics, and O' level Physics Physics for Cambridge A level, UTME, and O'level

You can now practice with mini CBT online for JAMB preparation Online CBT for Physics and other subjects
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by pabostt: 10:42am On Nov 05, 2017
This is a question on Nuclear Physics

A piece of radioactive material contains 1000 atoms. If its half-life is 20 seconds, the time taken for 125
atoms to remain is {UTME 2012}
A. 20 seconds B. 40 seconds C. 60 seconds D. 80 seconds

Solution

N = N0 exp(-ℷt)

ℷ = 0.693/T

ℷ = 0.693/20

125 = 1000 exp(-0.03465t)

125/1000 = exp(-0.03465t)

1000/125 = exp(0.03465t)

8 = exp(0.03465t)

0.03465t = In 8

0.03465t = 2.0794415

t = 2.0794415 /0.03465 = 60 seconds

C is the correct option
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 05, 2017
This thread is sexist!
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 05, 2017
Fyi0:
This thread is sexist!
I thought thesame until I read the post
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 05, 2017
Optimist1998:
I thought thesame until I read the post
I've read the post and it is still sexist.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2017
Fyi0:

I've read the post and it is still sexist.
The heading is off-putting. Lemme summon the Op.

Op Come and modify your post.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Xteljay(f): 9:20pm On Nov 06, 2017
Physics is my best subject so i'm in
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 11:30pm On Nov 06, 2017
My apologies for the delay.
My work seems to be taking a consequential part of my time these days.

The tutorials would begin as soon as i post the course outline(I'm still compiling it)

Physics is fun, and you would be amazed.
Welcome @
4kings
Kimberlywest
Pabostt
Optimist1998
Fyi0
Xteljay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 12:09am On Nov 07, 2017

Okay, I was thinking of Developing my own Syllabus, but then, I realised that JAMB's syllabus is well structured and would be good for beginners. So we would be making use of JAMB's syllabus.
In case you do not have it, I've listed the topics all out here.
1. Measurements and Units
2. Scalars and Vectors
3. Motion
4. Gravitational Field
5. Equilibrium of Forces
6. Work, Energy and Power
7. Friction
8. Simple Machines
9. Elasticity
10. Pressure
11. Liquids at Rest
12. Temperature and its Measurements
13. Thermal Expansion
14. Gas Laws
15. Quantity of Heat
16. Change of State
17. Vapours
18. Structure of Matter and Kinetic Theory
19. Heat Transfer
20. Waves
21. Propagation of Sound Waves
22. Characteristics of Sound Waves
23. Light Energy
24. Reflection of Light at Plane and Curved Surfaces
25. Refraction of Light
26. Optical Instruments
27. Dispersion of Light
28. Electrostatics
29. Capacitors
30. Electric Cells
31. Current Electricity
32. Electrical Energy and Power
33. Magnets and Magnetic Fields
34. Force on a Current Carrying Conductor
35. Electromagnetic Induction
36. Simple A.C Circuits
37. Conduction of Electricity
38.Elementary Modern Physics
39. Introductory Electronics

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 12:55am On Nov 07, 2017
I have been teaching physics offline for a while now, this would be the first time I would be explaining the concept online. I know it wouldn't be easy.

MEASUREMENTS AND UNITS

This is the very first and arguably the most important topic in physics, so let's get to know exactly what measurement means.

Yes, most of us are already familiar with the term 'Measurement', but what really happens when we take measurements?

When you take the measurement of a quantity, you are simply trying to know the size or amount of that quantity. Simple easy!

you may now be wondering “Why is this(measurement) necessary in physics?”

Well, everything we would do in physics would all have to boil down to measurements. You have to know that as a scientist, the accuracy of your work(s) cannot be over emphasized. Because the life of so many, would be linked directly or indirectly to any invention you come up with.

Okay, Let’s consider an example you can relate with, Let's assume you want to cook a soup, would you just turn in your water, salt, pepper, Curry and every other ingredient inside your pot without taking measurements? No!

Most times, we gauge (with our eyes grin ) the amount of ingredients we add to our food so that our food would not be too salty or too peppery or too whatever the case may be. This form of measurement (guaging with eyes) may not too accurate, but at least, we can appreciate the beauty of taking measurements even in the kitchen.

Now, that’s just one of the importance of measurements. There are a thousand more. So as a scientist, you must try as much as you can to eliminate errors in your work, because errors, no matter how small may cause major damages in the long run.
Let me ask you, What do you think would happen if an aeroplane breaks down in mid flight? Well, Your guess is as good as mine.

So measurements must always be taken accurately in physics.

Now that you have understood the meaning of measurement and its importance in physics, it would only be normal for you to ask this next question, what exactly do we measure in physics?

Okay, okay, Definitely not Maggi, nor salt, nor pepper. What we measure in physics are called quantities. These (quantities) are simply measureable properties of substances. For example, the pot of soup you started cooking earlier on, has so many measurable properties, these properties include; the temperature of the pot, the mass of the pot, the volume of the pot, the area of the pot and so many more properties, so what the early physicists did was to group all these properties and give them a general name called Quantities , or more approprietly, physical quantities .

You see? It's just as easy as that. There's really no magic there, So, when you hear that proud Science student in your class talk and boast about "physical quantities", just know that he is only talking about the properties that can be measured and nothing else.

I would sure give you time to think about all I have been saying, but before then, just one more,

It would be nice to let you know that physical quantities may be classified into two categories, These are the fundamental quantities and the derived quantities. Yes, just two. Fundamental and derived. Let's look at what they are

Fundamental quantities: These are simply physical quantites which do not depend on any other quantity.
What this means is that, these are quantities that we can directly measure and get their values direcrly without having to measure any other quantity.

Take a look at the flow diagram below, study it and understand how if flows. Pretty easy!

Now, do a little research, what are Derived Quantities?

3 Likes

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 2:39am On Nov 07, 2017
Thank you so much. No knowledge is wasted and the way you explain things is just too awesome.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by toyhin123(f): 4:33am On Nov 07, 2017
Thanks Lordecalifornia, I am in on this nd I love d way u explain things
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by pabostt: 7:58am On Nov 07, 2017
Nice one op

Derived quantities are quantities that depend on the fundamental quantities

For example,

Volume= length x length x length
Length is a fundamental quantity with S.I base Unit of m
i.e volume = m x m x m = m3

Velocity = displacement/ time
displacement is a fundamental quantity and the S.I base unit = m
time is a fundamental quantity and the S.I base unit = second (s)
i.e velocity = m/s = ms-1

other examples are force, area, speed, acceleration, electric field strength, charge, pressure, density, etc.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by MichaelBlake40: 1:42pm On Nov 07, 2017
KimberlyWest:
Let me park my car here.
But I love physics, the only science subject I hate is biology.
But I'm in... grin
Eh en iz that so?
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 5:28pm On Nov 07, 2017
nice one pabostt

Derived quantities are physical quantities which depend on fundamental quantities. What this means is that derived quantities cannot stand on their own. They directly depend on other quantities. Now that's clear.

let us now list some examples of fundamental and derived quantities.

FUNDAMENTAL QUANTITIES

Mass
Electric Current
Time
Temperature
Amount of a substance
length
Luminous Intensity

Note: For jambites, a quick way to remember all the fundamental quantities is to use this simple mnemonic "M E T² A L²
Where;
M= mass
E= Electric Current
T= Time
T= Temperature
A= Amount of a Substance
L= Length
L=Luminous intensity.

DERIVED QUANTITIES

Now, due to the fact that all derived quantities are gotten from the aforementioned fundamental quantities, a little permutation would show you that the number of derived quantities we can have is far greater than the number of fundamental quantities we have.
So I would just give a little
Volume
Area
Pressure
Force
Velocity
Acceleration
Etc

Now, after measuring these quantities, how do we record them so as not to mix them up?
Let's say we measure the length of a car as 100, it's temperature is 100 and it's velocity as 100. Now, these values are very similar, so How do we take down these measurements without mixing things up? For sure, it would be difficult to do so.

But don't worry, physicists have thought about this and have come up with a solution to prevent us from getting confused when recording our results.

The brilliant solition is the introduction of " units".
With units, we can record a million measured values without actually confusing ourselves.

Units in physics are just like surnames. They help us to identify measured values.

So writing down values without including their units is just like registering for jamb without including your surname. It would be diabolical smiley

Some quantities and their units are listed below, do well to understand them.

NOTE:
You can multiply two "different" units, but never add them.
You can divide two "different" units, but never subtract them.
You can perform the basic four mathematical operations on "similar" units.

6 Likes

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 07, 2017
Your clever approach to the explanations made by mind glued to the texts, as tho I was reading a novel.

I commend you.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 9:26am On Nov 08, 2017
Victurh:
Your clever approach to the explanations made by mind glued to the texts, as tho I was reading a novel.

I commend you.
smiley
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Xteljay(f): 8:28pm On Nov 08, 2017
God bless u 4 wat u are doin
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 8:32pm On Nov 08, 2017
Xteljay:
God bless u 4 wat u are doin
Thanks, Xteljay.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Xteljay(f): 10:11am On Nov 09, 2017
LordeCalifornia:
Thanks, Xteljay.
i also love the way the u explain the lesson it making me understand it more
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 4:59pm On Nov 16, 2017
Too much work on my hands, I'd update this thread when I get a little space.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 21, 2017
I like this. I hope I can contribute to this thread too? Physics was and still is something I love.

1 Like

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2017
AnonyNymous:
I like this. I hope I can contribute to this thread too? Physics was and still is something I love.
yes yes you can smiley
you can continue from where I stopped or pick a topic you like and treat it.....
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 11:49pm On Dec 11, 2017
sorry guys. my school has resumed. Updating this thread wouldn't be easy as school is already in session. anyone good knowledge of physics can continue from where I stopped.
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 4:12pm On Nov 13, 2018

it's been a while here, wow! how time flies cheesy
I trust the Jambites we had are now in their first year.
cheesy
Well, I have small time in my hands, maybe I should update this thread for future Jambites. smiley

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by LordeCalifornia: 4:32pm On Nov 13, 2018
Okay, today, let's look at DIMENSIONS

DIMENSIONS
As humans, we have beautiful and handsome faces, some have very nice and curvy parts smiley . But deep below the skins covering our bodies lies some form of skeletal framework or structures holding and keeping our systems in place and also providing beautiful shapes to out bodies. these structures are known as skeletons.

I know you're wondering and asking yourself, what's the correlation between skeletons and physics grin

well, the illustration above perfectly explains DIMENSIONS in physics.

In physics, every unit has a dimension, these units can be taken as the skin of the quantities they represent just like in the illustration above. and when these skins are ripped apart, one would discover that these skins or units as the case may be, have skeletal structures holding the units in place. These skeletal structures are known as DIMENSIONS.

Hence, dimensions are the skeletons of units

There are six fundamental dimensions in physics, these 6 dimensions can be structured together in different ways to build whatsoever unit in physics. Remember, they are the bones or skeletons of units.

THE SIX FUNDAMENTAL DIMENSIONS ARE

1. Mass, represented as M

2. Length, represented as L

3. Time, represented as t

4. Temperature, represented as T

5. Current, represented as A

6. Luminous intensity, represented as C

Let us see how they work.

Example One

find the dimension of velocity.

SOLUTION

The first thing to do us to get the unit of velocity. and its unit us given as ---> m/s (Note: this is its unit, not it's dimension)

from the unit above;
'm' stands for meter which is the unit of length and
's' stands for seconds which is the unit of time

hence, Velocity = length/time

From the six dimensions given above;

dimension for length is L
dimension for time is t

hence the dimension of velocity is L/t
wink

Example Two

what is the dimension for force?

SOLUTION

The unit of force is kgm/s^2

where:

kg stands for kilogram which is the unit for mass and the dimension for mass is M.

m stands for meter which is the unit for length and the dimension for length is L.

s stands for seconds which is the unit for time and the dimension for time is t.

hence, the dimension of force is ML/t^2.

You can attempt other examples in your textbook, and when you do that, if you encounter difficulties, do not hesitate to ask me. smiley

Our next topic would be Scalars and Vectors, but maybe before then, I would teach us how to take readings on vernier calipers and micrometer screw Guages (it's a requirement for UTME)
Do have a nice day cool

Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by Emdee590(m): 3:09pm On Feb 06, 2019
lets resurrect this thread please
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by TheRealOwner(m): 3:46am On Jun 16, 2021
Emdee590:
lets resurrect this thread please
Hm
Re: Jamb Physics Tutorial for Beginners by olamoses75(m): 4:45pm On Jun 16, 2021
This could have been one of the best physics thread on nairaland

(1) (Reply)

Popular Actresses That Look Nothing Like Their Movie Characters[photos] / Official List Of Courses Offered In Federal University Of Technology Akure (FUTA / Brisket Bone Vs Biscuit Bone: See The Correct Phrase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.