Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

ASUU Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike (1057 Views)

ASUU Strike Update: BUK Kano, UI, ABSU, ATBU Others Voted To Continue Strike / ASUU Strike Poll: What Is The Situation Report In Your School? / ASUU STRIKE: University Of Ibadan Terminates First Semester. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike by Sandrapreti(f): 10:03pm On Nov 02, 2017
http://dailytellonline.com/ASUU-is-wrong-by-eng-tunde-rashid/#

Let us Now stay out of prejudice and emotion,by that we would rightly reminisce on this issue of ASUU’s demands and their frequent Strike. I would try be very brief because it’s not necessarily my desire to exhaust you with long dispatch,after all opinion of the citizens in my country hardly count. However,we must continue to give our opinions.
Areas of funding for revitalization of public universities has always been at the number one in ASUU’s demands’ list.Other demands which include -The issue of University Staff Schools;
The implementation of the judgment of the National Industrial Court, National Universities Pension Management Company and guidelines for pension matters for professors;
The exemption offered by the government regarding the issue of TSA, which included the issue of grants, endowment funds as well as salary shortfall, which is already being implemented by the government.
The question I have constantly asked is, are these demands necessary? Before you begin to employ emotion and prejudice to answer the question let us also ask, is ASUU in the right position to demand for all these? even though all ASUU Demanded are necessary.they are however not in the right position to make all these demands. Unfortunately, among their demands the ones they are not in the right position to demand for are the ones which need huge resources,much more concern and arduous for the Government,its these ones that have delayed the implementation of all because among other things it’s implementation would need a separate system in order to be a good result.
Areas of funding for revitalization of public universities, the issue of University Staff Schools are areas ASUU is not in the right position to make demands. Hold on further, lets bring in common sense, Lecturers that are called ASUU are employed to lecture students not to revatilize university.We see and hear assistant lecturer,lecturer one,lecturer two,senior lecturer etc. What do lecturers do? They lecture students,in our system lecturers deviate from lecturing students to building public universities
lets us assume you are employed to be build university you are then a contractor, you could do the work when your employer furnishes you with the resources, until your employer gives you the necessary resources to do the work you must remain calm you cannot begin to protest against your employer, asking your employer to provide the resources between now and tomorrow or you would abandon the work, how does that affect the employer negatively? When he or she could possibly employ another hand. Let me make an instance, I contacted www.Dailytellonline.com ,asked them that I have article wish they would publish when they answered me asked me to send my information alongside the article I contacted the second time, told them that I have one issue with their site which I don’t like which other readers might detest too. What then was the issue? It was news and article published on their it’s site that worth reading over and over again gets trashed after 3 to 5 days of its publication. They replied me that they were aware and it was technical issue that has been fixed. Why I brought this instance is this, as a writer my major concern is to write,Daily Tell is to publish and if I am concerned about Daily Tell since I have one thing or the other to do with them the best u can do is to bring to their awareness my found out, not to begin action could be detrimental to its site users. In the same way if ASUU see that the Universities need revitalization, the best they can do is bring it to Federal Government’s awareness not to go on strike for such reason.Let me further emphasis that these lectures are to lecturer students and get paid not to build public Universities. If ASUU could focus and make genuine demands that they are the right position to make,their demands would have been met decades ago. Let change begin with ASUU as well. They should be sincere and let students graduate so that they could enter the labour market and see what life holds for them.
If ASUU should on strike because they have not been paid they would be right, I said earlier that they are right to make some of the demands, for instance that of earned allownsees but for revitalization of public universities is abusive of their right. Students are the only people in the right position to demand for the realization of universities.I rather consider this frequent ASUU strike as purposeful to stay out of work while still earning.it doesn’t make any sense. You must have heard or seen that some lecturers voted for the end to ASUU strike and some gone to clases to teach students ,these are lecturers that know that they are right to make demands but not all the demands they have made but because these lectures are few they are easily subdued.Some know that they are wrong and not in best position to some demands but because of their insincerity and laziness they keep voting to continue with strike
Students are in the best position to make demands for universities upgrade not lecturers going on strike for such reason. Another Union that are in a better position to make the demand is National Universities Commission (NUC).if I should rate NUC I would say, they are the most useless and stupid union in the world,one of my reasons for saying that is because NUC would go to universities to accridate and disaccredate faculties or course on the account that such faculties are not equipped or such courses lack neccesary equipment and man powers in order to be sustained.
NUC is every much Aware that Government which is responsible for fixing those are not fixing it it would still disaccredit thereby reducing number of aspirants that would have been admitted into those disaccredited faculties/courses. Who are this NUC supposed to go against? The innocent citizens who want to be educated or the Government that sees it’s responsibility but running away from it. When NUC disaccredit faculties or courses they are indirectly against students. If you critically ponder on this you would realize that:1 ASUU is against the students by unnecessarily staying out of work while they are getting paid thereby prolonging students stay in school
2 NUC is against the students through their actions
3 Federal Government is against the students by their refusal to fund education
4 Students are against students through their mute keeping to ASUU and their support to ASUU and by their refusal to understand that their years are counting while still in university, painful,end or misfortune meets some students in university which would not have met them if they had left the system when they were supposed to.
Re: ASUU Strike by Kowor(f): 10:07pm On Nov 02, 2017
I thought you wanted to brief the topic!
Re: ASUU Strike by Bossontop(m): 10:25pm On Nov 02, 2017
What happened 2 ur short version na??

Re: ASUU Strike by Marcofranz(m): 11:13pm On Nov 02, 2017
And you expect someone in his/her right senses to read all that undecided. Weldon
Re: ASUU Strike by gr8ofnnetwork(m): 11:15pm On Nov 02, 2017
History and Linguistic student spotted. Thanks for your support for government but tell your political mentors to save the educational sector including you.....
Re: ASUU Strike by LemonBoy1: 11:57pm On Nov 02, 2017
OP, this is very very breif. Just as you promised

Re: ASUU Strike by Sandrapreti(f): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2017
Lol
Re: ASUU Strike by Sandrapreti(f): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2017
Some of you couldn't read it... but it worth reading
Re: ASUU Strike by Sandrapreti(f): 7:53am On Nov 03, 2017
Bossontop:
What happened 2 ur short version na??

Lol

(1) (Reply)

7 Art Courses With High Employment Rate In Nigeria / What Is The Real Meaning Of "Hustler"? / Right To Private And Family Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.