Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,302 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection (18579 Views)

Abeokuta To Host 3x3 Wheelchair Basketball Championship In June / Obafemi Martins Donates ₦200,000, Wheelchair To Traffic Warden In Lagos / Basketball Star Banned After Drug Test Reveals He's 'pregnant' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by bouncenews2: 11:08am On Nov 03, 2017
Having lost his limbs as a toddler, Bello has taken on the world and emerged as a national hero playing Wheelchair Basketball for Nigeria
At age 3, Segun Bello was taken to the hospital for treatment, rather than getting relief from the doctor’s injection, his dreams were literally punctured by same.

"I started playing wheelchair basketball at the age of 17. Ever since then, I started going with the team to the qualifier of the U23 wheelchair basketball in South Africa and I have been one of the key players in the national team since then", he said

The Incident

Almost moved to tears as he recounts how a doctor’s negligence cost him his legs, Bello has since picked up what is left of him and he is not weighed down.

“According to the story I heard, at the age of three I got sick and I was taken to the hospital and the doctor injected me. Three days later, my parents said they noticed I could not walk again and I fell sick again. Since then I could not walk again and fell victim to polio.” Bello told Bounce News

“Growing up was not easy, I grew up in a local area in Mushin which did not encourage disability facilities, so it was not easy at all. Going out wasn’t easy.”

As a teenager, each time he sees people walk pass, he would think to himself that God was being unfair.

He sunk further into his own world when he had to mingle with his peers and rejected any form of pity or special treatment.

Deep down there was a burning desire to compete and win. A desire that pushed him towards sports - table tennis.

“I started out in sports in wheelchair tennis in 2006. I traveled twice with the tennis team. After that I joined table tennis for a year. Someone then invited me to join basketball and I fell in love with the game. Since then I have been involved in basketball.

Failed system

Having traveled far and wide, Bello submits that Nigeria is lagging when it comes to catering for people with disability.

“When you go to some European countries or even some African countries like South Africa or Algeria, they try to make life easier for people with disability. They provide wheelchairs, they belief walking on crutches is more difficult, which is true. Also there is easy access to buildings. Even though there is the staircase, they also build ramps for wheelchairs", he noted.

Despite Nigeria's backwardness in catering for the physically-challenged, Bello reckons that he has done well for himself and his involvement in sport has given an edge over his peers.

"It makes me feel great to have been able to play wheelchair basketball, to represent Nigeria, to have travelled outside the shores of this country. It is a privilege that very few of my peers from the area I grew up enjoy. I am grateful to God for everything."

Not born to beg

A common phenomena is to see the physically challenged begging for alms but Bello was emphatic that never crossed his mind.

"I was not born to beg.

"I thank God for my background and the family I was born into; they did not encourage laziness or being slothful especially my dad. So I never looked down on myself and I determined to be something great in life.

"My determination has been an inspiration for those around me and that keeps me motivated. "

Asked if he was in a relationship, Bello said: "I am single not ready for marriage any time soon. For now, I just want to focus all my energies on wheelchair basketball.

And while he focuses his energies on the sport he loves, Bello had a word for the government.

"I would love the government to invest in sports generally and para-sports. Not only will it raise our sports profile, it will also be an avenue for job creation." He advised.

Source: http://news.bounce.ng/Content/bounceexclusive-how-nigerias-wheelchair-basketball-star-survived-killer-injection-20171103

2 Likes

Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Ayo4251(m): 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
Wow...FTC...who should I dedicate this to? wink
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by FortuneLovely(m): 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
FTC
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Mosesjoker(m): 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
that's why they say.......there is ability in disability.....

1 Like

Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by bamdly(m): 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
dat is aaye for u
omo i fear ooo the even get time for disable pple
omo aaye i hail ooo

1 Like

Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by JoNach: 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
K
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by ogb12(m): 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by BruncleZuma: 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
shocked
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by seunmohmoh(f): 2:17pm On Nov 03, 2017
thi is very serious.............too bad
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by iamleumas: 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2017
Glory to God

Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by saraki2019(m): 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2017
true talk, pdp has ruined this country for 16 years
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by segebase(m): 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2017
r
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Ekeke1(m): 2:18pm On Nov 03, 2017
hmmmmm.... it is well..
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by free2ryhme: 2:19pm On Nov 03, 2017
bouncenews2:
Having lost his limbs as a toddler, Bello has taken on the world and emerged as a national hero playing Wheelchair Basketball for Nigeria
At age 3, Segun Bello was taken to the hospital for treatment, rather than getting relief from the doctor’s injection, his dreams were literally punctured by same.

"I started playing wheelchair basketball at the age of 17. Ever since then, I started going with the team to the qualifier of the U23 wheelchair basketball in South Africa and I have been one of the key players in the national team since then", he said

The Incident

Almost moved to tears as he recounts how a doctor’s negligence cost him his legs, Bello has since picked up what is left of him and he is not weighed down.

“According to the story I heard, at the age of three I got sick and I was taken to the hospital and the doctor injected me. Three days later, my parents said they noticed I could not walk again and I fell sick again. Since then I could not walk again and fell victim to polio.” Bello told Bounce News

“Growing up was not easy, I grew up in a local area in Mushin which did not encourage disability facilities, so it was not easy at all. Going out wasn’t easy.”

As a teenager, each time he sees people walk pass, he would think to himself that God was being unfair.

He sunk further into his own world when he had to mingle with his peers and rejected any form of pity or special treatment.

Deep down there was a burning desire to compete and win. A desire that pushed him towards sports - table tennis.

“I started out in sports in wheelchair tennis in 2006. I traveled twice with the tennis team. After that I joined table tennis for a year. Someone then invited me to join basketball and I fell in love with the game. Since then I have been involved in basketball.

Failed system

Having traveled far and wide, Bello submits that Nigeria is lagging when it comes to catering for people with disability.

“When you go to some European countries or even some African countries like South Africa or Algeria, they try to make life easier for people with disability. They provide wheelchairs, they belief walking on crutches is more difficult, which is true. Also there is easy access to buildings. Even though there is the staircase, they also build ramps for wheelchairs", he noted.

Despite Nigeria's backwardness in catering for the physically-challenged, Bello reckons that he has done well for himself and his involvement in sport has given an edge over his peers.

"It makes me feel great to have been able to play wheelchair basketball, to represent Nigeria, to have travelled outside the shores of this country. It is a privilege that very few of my peers from the area I grew up enjoy. I am grateful to God for everything."

Not born to beg

A common phenomena is to see the physically challenged begging for alms but Bello was emphatic that never crossed his mind.

"I was not born to beg.

"I thank God for my background and the family I was born into; they did not encourage laziness or being slothful especially my dad. So I never looked down on myself and I determined to be something great in life.

"My determination has been an inspiration for those around me and that keeps me motivated. "

Asked if he was in a relationship, Bello said: "I am single not ready for marriage any time soon. For now, I just want to focus all my energies on wheelchair basketball.

And while he focuses his energies on the sport he loves, Bello had a word for the government.

"I would love the government to invest in sports generally and para-sports. Not only will it raise our sports profile, it will also be an avenue for job creation." He advised.

Source: http://news.bounce.ng/Content/bounceexclusive-how-nigerias-wheelchair-basketball-star-survived-killer-injection-20171103

failed health care system has cost this young man his legs but not giving up despite his being physically challenged is quite legendary on his part.
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by ChineseBuggati3(m): 2:21pm On Nov 03, 2017
Inspirational
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Adaumunocha(f): 2:21pm On Nov 03, 2017
Nurse Eliza.
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by ipobarecriminals: 2:25pm On Nov 03, 2017
sad it is well.We only PITY people in a PIT
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Babyurgly1(f): 2:26pm On Nov 03, 2017
Ayo4251:
Wow...FTC...who should I dedicate this to? wink
to me
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by deco22(m): 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2017
Good for him,atleast he did something good for himself instead of standing on the road and dragging people's clothes because u wan beg.

1 Like

Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 03, 2017
Nice one, kudos
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by asawanathegreat(m): 2:34pm On Nov 03, 2017
So they won increase her problem b4 or even kill her final. God pass dem
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by iretemide(f): 2:44pm On Nov 03, 2017
You are limitless
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by MikkyDaniel: 2:49pm On Nov 03, 2017
God is your strength Sir
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by xawev: 2:55pm On Nov 03, 2017
Oluwa is ur muscle
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by 3plet: 3:28pm On Nov 03, 2017
Polio @ 3years,ur parents ought to have had you immunized!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Thukzee01(m): 3:44pm On Nov 03, 2017
Quack doctors everywhere
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Omoadeola(m): 3:53pm On Nov 03, 2017
There's an ability in his disability. He didn't let what happened to him define him.
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by mechanics(m): 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2017
An inspiration to able bodied people who don't don't want to hustle.
Re: Segun Bello: How Wheelchair Basketball Star Survived 'Killer' Injection by Greenbuoy(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2017
Aye-lala la pa dokita yen!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Panathinaikos Vs Olympiakos Abandoned After Fans Attack Players (Photos, Video) / FG Forecloses Involvement In Bash Ali’s Novelty Bout / Amusan Wins 2023 Diamond League Trophy, Her Third Consecutive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.