Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,575 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder (7983 Views)

6 Ways To Detect A Fake Phone / 6 Ways You Are Unintentionally Destroying Your Smartphone / 6 Ways To Overcome Your Smartphone Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by froz(m): 10:08pm On Nov 03, 2017
Ever felt jealousy or discontentment due to the seemingly higher standards or jet-set lifestyle of other people on social media? You are probably suffering from Social Media Anxiety Disorder (SMAD), a condition described by the Research and Development Unit of Yudala – Nigeria’s pioneer online and offline e-commerce outfit – as one afflicting a growing number of young adults. If you are on social media in any capacity, then you probably must have experienced SMAD, especially after being exposed to what other persons in your social network are up to.

According to Yudala, social media anxiety disorder is related to social anxiety, a mental illness which occurs when social media interferes with the mental and physical health of a person, causing one to feel inadequate, jealous, incompetent and unsatisfied. Admittedly, seeing a certain standard on social media can make anyone anxious. This feeling is referred to as social media anxiety.

Social media has grown in importance and today, plays a greater role in our daily lives. Indeed, the majority of people rely on their social media networks for a number of things including lifestyle habits, trends and social validation. Unfortunately, we are in a world where everybody tries to put their best image forward online and, as humans, we tend to compare ourselves to the sometimes make-believe representation of others.

While social media is a useful way of connecting with people and a remarkable way of bridging the gap between loneliness and companionship with just a click; it is important to exercise caution.

All that glitters is not gold. This age-long saying holds true especially on social media where a lot of people are guilty of excess show of materialism and flaunting fake lifestyles or standards, leaving the lead to feelings of loneliness, social anxiety and depression.

Yudala shares tips on how to cope with social media anxiety:

1.Admit the problem: Social Media Anxiety Disorder can be difficult to treat, considering the emphasis on social media networking as a model of success, especially in business. The first step in treating social media anxiety is to identify the problem, admit it, understand it and try to solve it. Be honest about your social media usage and manage what you put on social media; avoid putting self-sabotaging comments of yourself in the hope of getting positive response to build your self-esteem.

2.Stop comparing yourself: Constant visits to social media platforms can make you feel like you haven’t accomplished a lot especially when you see the make-believe lifestyle of your social network. Humans are insatiable and comparing yourself is inevitable but always try to do you as opposed to studying others. The most important thing is to look back on your journey and compare with your current state; this will make you feel good about how far you’ve come because there will always be someone out there who is better than you.

3.Socialize more in real life: Nowadays, people are so addicted to social media that they focus more on holding their phones than talking and sharing their thoughts in person. But when your social media friends aren’t as responsive as normal, you may become anxious and start to feel lonely and that’s when social media anxiety sets in. It is important to strengthen your real-life relationships because your social media friends won’t be there to make lemonades for you when life hands you lemons.

4.Take a break: It is okay to take a social media break especially when you realize you are battling social media anxiety. Often, it is advisable to disengage from your social media platforms. Setting a specific social media time limit for yourself daily or weekly can be very helpful. By doing this, you can then gradually shut off from it completely until you feel comfortable. While this may not be easy initially because of the attachment you may have, you will find an alternative way to keep yourself occupied over time.

5.Embrace Some Alone-Time: Having a quiet and relaxing time by yourself doesn’t mean you’re a loner or a sad person. Being lonely is different from wanting to be alone which can actually be quite healthy. Going for a walk and being by yourself sometimes, with no distraction from your mobile phone or social media, actually gives you the chance to clear your mind, focus and think more clearly.

6.Focus on your Passion: We all know social media can be distracting. What starts as a check in on Facebook or Instagram can all of a sudden turn to a 2- 3-hour waste of time. Instead of that, you can develop your hobbies. Find something you are really passionate about and focus on them, rather than spending time on social media and thinking someone else is doing better than you. This may even help give you a sense of direction and fulfillment.

SOURCE : https://brandspurng.com/6-ways-to-overcome-social-media-anxiety-disorder/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by TechMike: 10:15pm On Nov 03, 2017
Fact... For a while I have actually shut myself out from the real world...

I guess work stress contributed. I think I need to explore and discover myself...

But as for being intimidated by richer people's lifestyle? Hell no!! Unless you are C. Rinaldo.

Lol...

5 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by GentleYoung(m): 6:49am On Nov 04, 2017
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by tompat86(m): 6:50am On Nov 04, 2017
Ok
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by wildcatter23(m): 6:50am On Nov 04, 2017
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 04, 2017
nivr
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Flexherbal(m): 6:51am On Nov 04, 2017
Taken!
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Nobody: 6:52am On Nov 04, 2017
shocked
so many nairalander are suffering from this SMAD!
People can't mind their business again, just because the feel the need to comment, and pour out their jaundice heart, hating celeb that are far above their level. Awon hush dog,

Na so dey go carry person matter for head like dandruff.

My 1kobo is that folks should listen to the op post.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Greatmind23: 6:52am On Nov 04, 2017
stop watching mtv base and instagtam else it would be doing you like money ritual

3 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by swiz123(m): 6:55am On Nov 04, 2017
Wonderful write up.

Slay queens, over to you guys
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by RichardKajola(m): 6:56am On Nov 04, 2017
Nice post op

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 04, 2017
Never you sign up to Instagram...NEVER!!!
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by RapportNaija(m): 7:02am On Nov 04, 2017
Incredible OP

Why do we depend on social media for validation?

Read this piece - DID SOCIAL MEDIA AND SMARTPHONES AFFECT OUR HUMANNESS?

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Uyi168: 7:09am On Nov 04, 2017
legitimatefrank1:
Never you sign up to Instagram...NEVER!!!
TRUE!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by sbashir10(m): 7:17am On Nov 04, 2017
Realistic view
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by webincomeplus(m): 7:18am On Nov 04, 2017
My addition is "Don't ever start controversial issues or arguments on social media". You'll be compelled to keep checking your phone to see who supported your argument, who bashed you, etc. And you'll constantly think of the best reply to give each person. Before you know it, you would have wasted hours, yet achieving nothing.

10 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Finstar: 7:18am On Nov 04, 2017
Honestly, social media can sometimes be depressing.. Sometimes I just shut down my mobile and system and take a walk.. I can't come and die because of these shitts.. cool

4 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by freeman95(m): 7:18am On Nov 04, 2017
Haha na wa o
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by tk4rd: 7:31am On Nov 04, 2017
Hmmm..
I no just know wat to say right now.
Sheey Nairaland no follow for Social Media.??
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 04, 2017
Fact
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by melejo(m): 8:01am On Nov 04, 2017
Truth, kudos op
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Adaomalight(f): 8:03am On Nov 04, 2017
Chai! na me be this o embarassed
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by olowobaba10: 8:27am On Nov 04, 2017
IS NAIRALAND A SOCIAL MEDIUM?
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by SAMBARRY: 8:47am On Nov 04, 2017
If you know who a person is and really is I.e his job or place of work,his family,where he came from,his mentality,taste in fashion,taste in men and or women and ways of reasoning you won't be fooled by whatever he posts on Sm because people rarely reveal who they're on sm,it's usually what they want you to know about them.sm is very similar to reality shows and music videos.it's just plain illusion.by the time you move closer to the person you usually see on sm,you'll realise it's not always as glossy as it appears.it's just make belief

I know of a then school mate for example,he's a notorious flirt .anything goes for him.I later saw him on social media and all his posts are all religious sermons and relationship counselling about how to keep a man or woman in the name of the Lord,with bible texts sef.I just burst into laughter.I was like someone who doesn't know yemi and the person is judging him by what she sees on his sm will be fooled in thinking he or she has seen a decent churchy man.especially with the pictures of him posing in church or office when I know where he's actually working and how much he earns which is in contradiction with what he portrays on sm

Hence the only people who knows who a person is aside from the facade he puts on sm is his friends,roommates,school mates or ex school mates,coursemates or ex housemates,lecturers,neighbors and parents.If you assume a person is really what he portrays on sm you need some growing up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 04, 2017
Good article
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by nonsovich(m): 9:09am On Nov 04, 2017
I actually like viewing those pics where they are chopping the head of their life.... kind of motivation for me...i love seeing them first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed... nothing dey ginger me pass am!
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 04, 2017
SAMBARRY:
If you know who a person is and really is I.e his job or place of work,his family,where he came from,his mentality,taste in fashion,taste in men and or women and ways of reasoning you won't be fooled by whatever he posts on Sm because people rarely reveal who they're on sm,it's usually what they want you to know about them.sm is very similar to reality shows and music videos.it's just plain illusion.by the time you move closer to the person you usually see on sm,you'll realise it's not always as glossy as it appears.it's just make belief

I know of a then school mate for example,he's a notorious flirt .anything goes for him.I later saw him on social media and all his posts are all religious sermons and relationship counselling about how to keep a man or woman in the name of the Lord,with bible texts sef.I just burst into laughter.I was like someone who doesn't know yemi and the person is judging him by what she sees on his sm will be fooled in thinking he or she has seen a decent churchy man.especially with the pictures of him posing in church or office when I know where he's actually working and how much he earns which is in contradiction with what he portrays on sm

Hence the only people who knows who a person is aside from the facade he puts on sm is his friends,roommates,school mates or ex school mates,coursemates or ex housemates,lecturers,neighbors and parents.If you assume a person is really what he portrays on sm you need some growing up

Lol.... And the way fish brained ladies fall for these kind of guys eh.... I once had a "girlfriend" whose hobby is to follow these relationship "expats" on Facebook and open her legs for them. And to think I was serious about her..... It's well. Lol

Personally, I think it's chronic womanizers that pose as relationship advisers on social media. Gullible ladies fall prey.
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by PotatoSalad(m): 9:29am On Nov 04, 2017
Everything for social media na packaging.
That slay mama with 100k followers still dey wash plates for her papa house.
That nigga flaunting stuffs for the gram is a chronic debtor.
People can do stupid things just to stay relevant.
Social Media logic: if you don't post it, you're not doing it. Work hard and be successful in silence, nobody needs to know about that, live your life in peace.
Besides, 20 years ago, there was no Facebook, no Instagram. Don't let social media make you think you can't wear your clothes more than once.
Have a good weekend

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by Trexate: 12:28pm On Nov 04, 2017
If people will learn to focus on their goals and dreams in life and live a life of contentment, they won't have time to be sidetracked by what they see on social media.
Re: 6 Ways To Overcome Social Media Anxiety Disorder by SAMBARRY: 2:34pm On Nov 04, 2017
grin grin
ikennaf1:

Lol.... And the way fish brained ladies fall for these kind of guys eh.... I once had a "girlfriend" whose hobby is to follow these relationship "expats" on Facebook and open her legs for them. And to think I was serious about her..... It's well. Lol

Personally, I think it's chronic womanizers that pose as relationship advisers on social media. Gullible ladies fall prey.

(1) (2) (Reply)

TECNO!!! Out With Two New Devices: S3 And M7 / Get Super Bass On Any Earpiece With These Easy Steps / How To Transfer Megabytes From Mtn-mtn, Glo-Glo, Airtel- Airtel And Etisalat- Et

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.