Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,101 members, 7,828,850 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Champions League Draw! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League Draw! (9445 Views)

UEFA Champions League Draw - Live / UEFA Champions League Draw On 29th August 2013 / 2012/2013 Champions League Draw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Champions League Draw! by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 19, 2010
~Sauron~:

This is the best statement you have ever uttered since joining Nairaland.
Long may this continue. grin

C'mon, I've always praised SAF.

I only have issues with his complaints of lack of extra time.
I can overlook that, it's a sign of old age.  cheesy
Re: Champions League Draw! by Sauron1: 2:52pm On Mar 19, 2010
BlueDiva:

C'mon, I've always praised SAF.

I only have issues with his complaints of lack of extra time.
I can overlook that, it's a sign of old age.  cheesy

So who are you guys playing in Europe?
Real Madrid or Villareal? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Champions League Draw! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
Heheheh. . .
Next season we're winning the cup.
Roman is ready to spread some dough.
Re: Champions League Draw! by switch411(m): 2:59pm On Mar 19, 2010
Arsenal lost to Barcelona in the 2006 Final despite leading for much of that game in Paris. And of course, the Catalan giants now have a certain Thierry Henry in their ranks.
  Right Now Barcelona themeselves are not comfortable with the draw and i personally think Arsenal will prevail and will even get to the final in madrid!! Arsenal is good enough for the Title!!

@ Blue diva
Real madrid spent cash. where are they now? Cash does not win silverware!! Arsenal is winning the champions league this year!! tongue
Re: Champions League Draw! by tkb417(m): 3:05pm On Mar 19, 2010
BlueDiva:

"we" are the good people of the Sports section tired of DK hyping the outdated, mediocre Germans.

Talking 'bout obeisance, I believe in the culture of respect.
The inferior should respect the superior. Thats why i have no qualms praising Fergie. He's superior to my own manager.

Good thinking, Good talk cheesy
Re: Champions League Draw! by tkb417(m): 3:07pm On Mar 19, 2010
switch411:

@ Blue diva
Real madrid spent cash. where are they now? Cash does not win silverware!! Arsenal is winning the champions league this year!! tongue
yeah, Switzerland will win the World Cup too
Re: Champions League Draw! by allboyz(m): 3:11pm On Mar 19, 2010
to be champions we need to play the champs. . . No lele. . . .No fear. . .

lets play the game!

Go gooners. . . . English and Spanish language get diff. . . lets teach dem the language!

gooners 1800 tongue cool
Re: Champions League Draw! by eyoniggar(m): 3:11pm On Mar 19, 2010
Quite an interesting draw.

Dk VS Sauron

kHanye VS Mukina

Diva u be ashawo ooo, Thought u have swung support towards
United Manure, and ur still lashing out a loss @ them.

Not a bad draw for Barca, although we aint invincible.

Man- U is not that of a walk-over, if Bayern wud go through
it wud take a miracle of a rapture occurring.
Re: Champions League Draw! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 19, 2010
eyoniggar:

Quite an interesting draw.

Dk VS Sauron

kHanye VS Mukina

Diva u be ashawo ooo, Thought u have swung support towards
United Manure, and your still lashing out a loss @ them.

Not a bad draw for Barca, although we aint invincible.

Man- U is not that of a walk-over, if Bayern wud go through
it wud take a miracle of a rapture occurring.

I'm as open as they come.
MU will woop Bayern.

That said, MU won't win the trophy.
It's not rocket science.
Re: Champions League Draw! by Richtronix(m): 3:22pm On Mar 19, 2010
Half of you dont even know your various clubs histories,

Glory hunters or what?

Up The Mighty Arsenal.
Re: Champions League Draw! by A40(m): 3:25pm On Mar 19, 2010
Buck The World! We can beat Barca but only if we don't concede more than a goal at the Emirates. We have to show discipline and Wenger for once needs to show some tactical brilliance cos relying on our players alone would not be enough if we do beat Barca we are in the Finals as far as am concerned cos Italian teams ain't a problem and not even Mourinho would save em
Re: Champions League Draw! by Richtronix(m): 3:29pm On Mar 19, 2010
Arsenal v Barca

At The Home Of Football.

I'll be there LIVE.

Arsenal WIN. cool
Re: Champions League Draw! by yemmydavid(m): 3:32pm On Mar 19, 2010
@tomidayspring, do u knw Ehi Ebosele? MY CONDOLENCE GOES OUT TO THE ARSE-ANALS WHO WERE SERVED TO BARCA ON A PLATTER , MAY THEIR GENTLE SOUL REST IN PEACE, ,,,,,,,,,SINGING HYMN 159-----ABIDE WITH ME FAST FALLS THE EVENTIDE,,,,,,,,DUST TO DUST,ASHES TO ASHES,,,,,,,!
this is his FB status
Re: Champions League Draw! by loyika(m): 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2010
The funny thing about all this is Cretins like Chac and all are having a little giggle, saying; United in the Final Reh!! reh!! reh!! Reminds me of the boys at SB and most of the press saying Inter will be battered at SB!!

In football anything can happen
and we shall see how this whole thing pans out.

Barca will be tough no doubt, but it will be a game filled with emotions and the best footballing feast on offer this year. This is the main attraction before the final!! Henry back at the Emirates and his beloved Club against his Mentor!! Cesc back at the Nou Camp and his Childhood club, against his Childhood Hero!! Yaya against the club his elder brother once played for and a club his has always been linked to. 2 coaches that respect the beauty of this game we call football!!

This will be a spectacle of 120 mins of pure football!! All in all may the best team win, most importantly; May Football win!!

COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE ARMY!!

1 game at a time cool 1st up Zola's Army cool

cool GOONER 89
Re: Champions League Draw! by mykali(m): 4:08pm On Mar 19, 2010
Teams i don't want in the final . . .Barcelona AND Manchester United.
so, i'll be supporting Jose to finally take the nerrazzuri to the finals . . .and win it.

Finals . . .Inter vs Bordeaux tongue
Re: Champions League Draw! by galatico(m): 4:14pm On Mar 19, 2010
AM Sorry for Arsenal they are out of th Champions League
Arsenal draw Barca in quarter-finals
By Soccernet staff

March 19, 2010
Comment
Email
Print
Arsenal and Barcelona will meet for the first time since the 2006 Champions League final after they were paired together in the quarter-finals.

GettyImages

Cesc Fabregas: Heading back to Spain

• Champions League draw in full
• Hackett: Friends reunited
• Discuss this on our forums

The second leg of the last-eight clash will come just days before Barca face their crucial clasico showdown with Real Madrid at the Bernabeu. It's a week which may well decide their season. And Arsenal will play the north London derby at Tottenham the same weekend of April 10, too.

The first leg will be at the Emirates, and the return leg will see Francesc Fabregas return to his former club for the first time.

Manchester United will take on Bayern Munich, who they famously beat in the final at Camp Nou in 1999. That is the only time United have ever beaten the Bundesliga side. Sir Alex Ferguson will be delighted to have home advantage in the second leg.

There is an all-French clash as Ligue 1 leaders Bordeaux take on Lyon. They will play each other three times in quick succession with a league match scheduled for April 17. The second leg is in Bordeaux.

Inter Milan will feel they have the best draw in landing CSKA Moscow, although the second leg will be in Russia.

The quarter-finals take place on March 30 and 31 plus April 6 and 7. The semi-finals are scheduled for April 20 and 21 and April 27 and 28, with the final in the Bernabeu, Madrid, on Saturday, May 22.

The winners of the Lyon-Bordeaux tie will be at home in the second leg in a semi-final match against United or Bayern, which means there is the prospect of an intriguing last-four date between Barcelona and Inter. They met in the group stage, with a 1-1 draw in the San Siro and Barca winning the return 2-0.

Home advantage in the second leg also falls to the winners of the tie between Arsenal and Barcelona.

Manager Arsene Wenger said: "If you go to the bookmakers and try to place a few pounds, you will see that we are not favourites against Barcelona. Of course they are a good side, but so are we.

"For me, we have a 50/50 game - if we turn up with our best performance we have a good chance to beat them. It will be an interesting, exciting game. We have to make sure we have the belief and focus right.

"For the rest I believe it is much more important to focus on the West Ham game than the Barcelona draw."

Barcelona sporting director Txiki Beguiristain said: "It`s a great tie. We are two teams who don't shut up shop and play long ball football, and this tie will be nice for the fans.

"It will be a good spectacle and we`ll see if we are a little stronger than them. In any case, the best news is knowing that we will be playing the return leg at home. We are strong at home and we`ve shown that.

"Cesc returns to the Nou Camp but Thierry Henry will also face his former team and that makes it even more interesting."

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "The history of playing Bayern in past European ties tells you it's going to be a very difficult tie for us. It'll be a fantastic atmosphere in both games. They have a great stadium and good pitch and we're up against a good, experienced team.

"Hopefully we'll have everyone we need for the game and we've got a good chance.''

Manchester United club secretary Ken Ramsden admitted the Red Devils had received a favourable draw.

"If we chose the draw this would be a good draw but the games are there to be won and we're a long way from the final yet,'' he said. "I'm sure there'll be no complacency at Old Trafford.''

Former Bayern midfielder Owen Hargreaves is ineligible to play against his former club but Ramsden added: "I'm sure it will add an extra dimension for him.

"I'm sure he'll want to be in Munich whether he's playing or not. It adds another element to a very attractive game already.''

Former United striker Dwight Yorke, who played in the final in 1999, told Sky Sports News: "I'm worried about the Germans, over the years they've been very difficult to play against.

"They've got a very experienced manager in Louis van Gaal, he's been around the block, he knows how European football is, he knows about English football and will certainly know about Manchester United and Wayne Rooney.

"But the reason why I'm pretty confident that Man United will advance is the second leg will be played at home.

"Going away they will have to be very cautious. Bayern Munich are very hard to play against, they are tactically sound, they don't take too many chances, they'll wait for that opportunity to pounce on you.''

Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge labelled the tie a "tough but attractive draw'', although he admits United will be expected to go through to the last four.

"Manchester are a team who are ranked right at the top,'' he said on his club's website. "We will have to push ourselves to our limits and possibly even beyond to go through.

"Manchester are the favourites, but that is where the attraction lies: to try to beat a favourite.''

Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud admits he is somewhat disappointing to be facing a fellow French team but is delighted it will ensure a Ligue 1 outfit is in the semi-finals.

"I'm a little bit disappointed,'' he told Eurosport. "We talked a lot about it before, about the possibility of this.

"But we have to take what we take and we just have to get on with it and deal with it. It's going to be a great night and means there will be a French team in the semi-finals and that's something for French football to celebrate.

"If both clubs play to their potential it's going to be a great night not just for our fans but also for football fans around the world.''

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas, whose team triumphed over Real Madrid in the last round, is looking forward to another magical European night.

"It will be a very special night for us,'' he told Eurosport. "I think we've played in the final of the Intertoto against another French team but that doesn't really count.

"This is the Champions League, an entirely different night. We did think it could happen, we were hoping it wouldn't. Now we have to hope we qualify but we are going to see a French team in the semi-finals and let's hope we see one in the final.''
Re: Champions League Draw! by abrahym(m): 4:24pm On Mar 19, 2010
Stupid draw,imagine lyon to play bordeaux? Inter to play cska? Rubbish draw
Re: Champions League Draw! by ichommy(m): 4:48pm On Mar 19, 2010
abrahym:

silly draw,imagine lyon to play bordeaux? Inter to play cska? Rubbish draw

Good talk jare my brother how will two France club meet sad
Re: Champions League Draw! by bgees(m): 5:08pm On Mar 19, 2010
Arsenal fans have always wanted revenge. Well, now u have a chance. . . . dont be scared cheesy Greatness is not achieved easily.

My Arsenal friends are already moaning all over the place.
Re: Champions League Draw! by ichommy(m): 5:14pm On Mar 19, 2010
RUBBISH DRAW angry

Re: Champions League Draw! by vinisky: 5:21pm On Mar 19, 2010
where's dayokanu? with this draw we'll know if his bayern can beat the red devils. grin
Re: Champions League Draw! by scantee(m): 5:30pm On Mar 19, 2010
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Gunners go smell shitohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
We gunner trash them home and away
Up Barca
GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mssi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Barca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
first leg 0-3
second leg 4-0
see u in madrid.
Re: Champions League Draw! by Scottx(m): 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2010
Arsenal will take everyone unaware by stopping Barca. Mark my word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Champions League Draw! by Sauron1: 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2010
loyika:

The funny thing about all this is Cretins like Chac and all are having a little giggle, saying; United in the Final Reh!! reh!! reh!! Reminds me of the boys at SB and most of the press saying Inter will be battered at SB!!

In football anything can happen
and we shall see how this whole thing pans out.

You are a miserable sod!
Had United drawn Barca, you woulda been screaming like a rhesus monkey.
There's no way Arsenal will beat Barcelona over 2 legs. Barcelona are simply better than the Arses.

This will be a spectacle of 120 mins of pure football!! All in all may the best team win, most importantly; May Football win!!

120 mins or 180 mins?
And you had the audacity to say someone is a cretin?
You are a diseased cuntbucket. grin
Re: Champions League Draw! by debosky(m): 5:45pm On Mar 19, 2010
Kini big deal?

We were arguably more impressive than Barcelona in our second round tie, against a far more experienced CL participant like Porto. Even then, we lacked a number of our biggest guns who will hopefully be back for the Q-final games.

It's all about the football played on the match days not on the talk.

Milan was similarly the defending champions when we played them in 2008. . . it finished 2-0 on aggregate to the gunners.

We fear no one and will enjoy playing Barca.

Besides, if you want to WIN the trophy you must be prepared to play the best teams in the competition.
Re: Champions League Draw! by khanye(m): 5:50pm On Mar 19, 2010
Re: Champions League Draw! by ichommy(m): 5:53pm On Mar 19, 2010
debosky:

Kini big deal?

We were arguably more impressive than Barcelona in our second round tie, against a far more experienced CL participant like Porto. Even then, we lacked a number of our biggest guns who will hopefully be back for the Q-final games.

It's all about the football played on the match days not on the talk.

Milan was similarly the defending champions when we played them in 2008. . . it finished 2-0 on aggregate to the gunners.

We fear no one and will enjoy playing Barca.

Besides, if you want to WIN the trophy you must be prepared to play the best teams in the competition.

GOOD TALK JARE MY MOD, I KNOW WE WILL SURPRISE THEM UP GUUNERS
Re: Champions League Draw! by eyoniggar(m): 6:07pm On Mar 19, 2010
In as much as I know the draws were fixed.
It is still going to be an exciting experience.

I would love Dayokanu to smoke Sauron into
some Jamaican Barbecue.
Re: Champions League Draw! by otokx(m): 6:07pm On Mar 19, 2010
I perceive upsets
Re: Champions League Draw! by RuuDie(m): 6:21pm On Mar 19, 2010
For all d talk about Arsenal lasting 70+ minutes against Barca and holding out. . . . I can only say 1 thing - Messi wasn't there!

I fear 4 Arsenal, really do - & d major problem 4 Arsenal is Arsene Wenger's insistence on playing d Arsenal way which would suit Barca right to d ground.
This is 1 sure instance where Arsenal just need 2 switch tactics/formation/mind-set/approach dramatically a great deal; surprise everybody with something totally "un-Arsenal" or risk suffering badly!
Re: Champions League Draw! by debosky(m): 6:26pm On Mar 19, 2010
RuuDie:

For all d talk about Arsenal lasting 70+ minutes against Barca and holding out. . . . I can only say 1 thing - Messi wasn't there!

I can say numerous things as well - Robert Pires, who was our best player apart from Henry wasn't there either.

Cesc wasn't red hot with 14 goals from midfield, neither was there Arshavin and a whole host of others.

I fear 4 Arsenal, really do - & d major problem 4 Arsenal is Arsene Wenger's insistence on playing d Arsenal way which would suit Barca right to d ground.

Yeah right - with all of Chelski's 'tactical' play, Barca broke them down eventually. That simply tells you that you must match fire for fire. You must try to limit their dominance, but only by dominating yourself and not trying to stifle play.

This is 1 sure instance where Arsenal just need 2 switch tactics/formation/mind-set/approach dramatically a great deal; surprise everybody with something totally "un-Arsenal" or risk suffering badly!

Regardless of formation there is a risk of suffering badly - that is why this is the last 8 of the best club competition in the world.

What I know for certain is that Barca won't fancy playing us either so there is no need for the overly negative assessments. While it is a tougher draw than we'd have wanted, it is still winnable over 180 minutes.
Re: Champions League Draw! by switch411(m): 6:33pm On Mar 19, 2010
I SEE ARSENAL HUMILIATING BARCELONA!!    Arsenal as they stand is to barcelona what inter milan is to chelsea!!  Arsenal will qualify!!

Arsène Wenger accepts his Arsenal side will be labelled as underdogs in their Champions League Quarter-Final with Barcelona – even though he thinks the tie is “even-money”.

“It will be an interesting, exciting game. We have to make sure we have the belief and focus right.”

Should Arsenal defy the odds they face the winner of Inter and CSKA Moscow in the Semi-Final. Having knocked out Chelsea, the Italians will be favoured there. It will be a tough path but, having got back into the title race, Wenger believes he must keep his focus on domestic matters.

"You can only take one step at a time,” he said. “Of course the route is not easy, I concede that. But the best way to be successful in the Quarter-Final is to go into those games in good condition and with a strong belief.

"That happens only if we do well in the Premier League.”

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bournemouth Vs Manchester United (0 - 1) On 20th May 2023 / Newcastle Vs Tottenham Match Preview, Stats, Line Up And More / Wolves Vs Manchester United (1 - 2) On 23rd May 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.