Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,376 members, 7,819,368 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

At The Cafeteria: Short Story By Pimper24. Pls Rate Me - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / At The Cafeteria: Short Story By Pimper24. Pls Rate Me (456 Views)

Pls Rate The First Chapter Of My Manuscript / When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

At The Cafeteria: Short Story By Pimper24. Pls Rate Me by pimper24: 12:43pm On Nov 06, 2017
At the Cafeteria*
My food was rice. I ate trying to avoid a yellowish watery substance that tasted stale which I mistook for a ‘stew’. I must have been misled by the man at my front that mumbled the name of the liquid and scooped it on his plate of rice looking indifferent, typical of Germans. As if the lady behind me was urging me to be fast, I scooped the same substance that reminded me of Nsala soup on my rice”. With a spoon of cheese added, I also looked indifferent and strolled to a seat after handing the cashier a five euro bill.
Sitting quietly to enjoy the meal, I paused to look at the bevy of students queuing to pay at the pay points having picked their favorites from the buffet.
I was stunned as my eyes greeted a renowned American professor dishing out his own meal from the array of edibles. He handed his debit card for payment and headed to a table with his tray.
“Can I join you?” he gently enquired before sitting just opposite me.
“With all pleasure, sir”, I snapped, trying to summon some courage.
“I am Tazler Byrne”, he mused, shoving a bunch of green vegetables into his mouth.
Tazler Byrne, a renowned professor of International Criminal Law from Harvard. He had written several books one of which I contemplated buying from Amazon.
“I… I am Ron, Ron Tadekia” I stuttered. “It was nice being in your class sir”.
“Did you enjoy my lecture?”
“Absolutely”, I quipped.
After a second shove of the same green leaves that looked like they were cut in a rush and poured on the plate without visiting any fire, he sprung up and strode along the isle to a silver water dispenser. I immediately noticed a well tailored suit well clad on his six feet two tall body and a gait that smacked of absolute civility. He must be in his forties!
Coming back, to my amazement, he placed two cups of water on the table.
“Guess you need this”, he intoned with smiles. I was full of thanks and almost taking both cups to fetch them back myself.
A discussion on Africa kept us busy for a while before concluding on my future prospects, as if everyone was curious to know if you were going back to Africa after a taste of Europe.
“I have to catch the next train to Lyon”, professor Byrne sprung up again with his tray gently stacking it at an extreme pack before dashing to the door. Leaning carefully on the adjacent wall was a bicycle which he skillfully climbed and rode off.
Humility or mere etiquette; a dramatic Irony of environment, status and class, yes class, class and class! I thought of home... the gate of reed was indeed closed after the West was let in…
Sorry, my time said ‘leave’; I needed to be in the next class.

(1) (Reply)

Bi Pasito Duke Se Wasu (like Pastor Duke Preached) (part 2) / I Need Assistance / Reality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.