Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

What A Night! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What A Night! (1709 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What A Night! by Benbobola(m): 1:13pm On Nov 06, 2017
Well, i had a quite unusual night. My boerboel had been pregnant for a while but her tummy never bulged. Was quite disturbed because it was day 61 and she really did not look preggy and her behavior was the same. So around 3pm, changed her from her cage into a whelping room I had prepared (just in case, cos I had to go watch EPL). When Manchester/Chelsea match was starting, the spirit whispered to me to "go home. Hungry dey catch you" severally. I resisted that when half time reach, I will leave for home. All through the way home, I kept remembering how my dog was panting when I was taking her to that room. The feeling nagged at me and I picked up the pace hurriedly. When I entered into the compound, went straight to the backyard where the room is. Alas! I was stunned. It looked like world war III had taken place. Carpet was ripped apart into pieces, clothes scattered and she was sitting gently. On closer examination of the scattered floor, found something. I drew closer to observe and what I saw left me in scared disappointment of myself.
A dead puppy!
I rushed at it, tried to resuscitate it, but to no avail. I bit my lip knowing I had failed my dog. I was supposed to be there for her but I wasn't.
Brought her out, was cleaning the place up when madam walked back into the room PANTING.
Yes! A second chance!
Cleaned the room again and waited patiently. Making sure not to disturb the process.
Note: all these happened around past 6pm.
When contraction seemed difficult, gave her oxytocin injection to ease her delivery process
Long story short, another puppy dropped by 9pm.
ALIVE!!!
Gave my dog some glucose and milk for rehydration, hoping more would come. It was not to be. She was done for the night.
But I ask myself, why only 2 puppies? First time mother tho, but should have been more. Any insight please?
I am also not a first time dog owner but first time with a pregnant dog.
1st picture: dead puppy
2nd picture: Alive puppy

Re: What A Night! by Namdeenero(m): 2:08pm On Nov 06, 2017
Same thing happened to me. After the 7th pup by 12 am I waited and extra 1hr in case she's finished even palpated her tummy still no sign of pup so I decided to crash only to wakeup by 5am to see a dead pup.. Damn, the only question I kept asking myself was why the hell did I go to sleep!!!
Re: What A Night! by miremoses(m): 2:23pm On Nov 06, 2017
I've never had such issues, because all the dams I've had so far gave birth in ease and at 20-30 mins interval. I would suggest you keep an eye on that pup so she doesn't step on it.

2 Likes

Re: What A Night! by Nvednutfr33(m): 12:37pm On Nov 07, 2017
Dude congrats on your puppy. I remember my vet told me to skip the first heat probably because of this. The male would fertilize the egg the female releases so fret not its probably because the reproductive system of your dog is not at 100% that's excluding diet, its health status and the male. Also get a comfortable dim room ready for the next pregnancy. The more comfortable the bitch is, the faster she ll drop the puppies( this is from personal experience) I always thought my bitch had an issue with whelping it would take forever to drop puppies until I put it in a dim comfortable room a day before it was due and like magic that issue ended. Once more I congratulate you, greetings to every breeder in the house.

2 Likes

Re: What A Night! by Benbobola(m): 10:00pm On Nov 07, 2017
She loves that pup like kilode. Will not leave it for a second unless she's on poop break or eating and she's back to it. The pup has the pleasure of rotating between the teats since its a lone wolf
miremoses:
I've never had such issues, because all the dams I've had so far gave birth in ease and at 20-30 mins interval. I would suggest you keep an eye on that pup so she doesn't step on it.
Re: What A Night! by Benbobola(m): 10:02pm On Nov 07, 2017
Nvednutfr33:
Dude congrats on your puppy. I remember my vet told me to skip the first heat probably because of this. The male would fertilize the egg the female releases so fret not its probably because the reproductive system of your dog is not at 100% that's excluding diet, its health status and the male. Also get a comfortable dim room ready for the next pregnancy. The more comfortable the bitch is, the faster she ll drop the puppies( this is from personal experience) I always thought my bitch had an issue with whelping it would take forever to drop puppies until I put it in a dim comfortable room a day before it was due and like magic that issue ended. Once more I congratulate you, greetings to every breeder in the house.
Thanks brother. Duly noted!
Re: What A Night! by jayned: 10:53pm On Nov 07, 2017
Oh dear! Congratulations I see u snapped your puppy to scale. Dont beat yourself too much it's possible the first was stillborn. The 2 times my dam littered, she lost 2 puppies in each litter all stillborn I was right there and could do nothing. It's a good thing you even moved her in good time you would have hated yourself.
Re: What A Night! by Namdeenero(m): 12:05am On Nov 08, 2017
Benbobola:
She loves that pup like kilode. Will not leave it for a second unless she's on poop break or eating and she's back to it. The pup has the pleasure of rotating between the teats since its a lone wolf
Yup singleton pups dey flex pass.. Just watch how fat that Nigga will get in a few days, however they tend to develop behavioural issues later on as no litter mates to aid socialization... Keep a close eye
Re: What A Night! by egorov(m): 8:00am On Nov 08, 2017
Congrats bro.

Let me point out some things to you

Being the first heat or not, the most important thing is to get your mating right. I have seen dogs, even some mine that have littered 8-9-10-13-17 using the first heat, thats less than a yr old in most cases.

I'll tell you why u had two pups

During the oestrus cycle of a Dog, the ovulation period comes at intervals, of which nobody knows, we all do guess Work almost all d time. A Dog that came on heat today might start ovulating the next day, so if u wait till day 10 before u start mating u would have missed the ovulation peak, hence giving u one, two or no pup.

Best method of mating

IMO, the best way to get a good mating result is to conduct some certain tests before mating;

1. Cytology
2. Sperm analysis
3. Blood analysis for both stud n bitch

Also, u have to be sure of the compatibility btwn the two dogs.

Take care of.your pup, I hope.d stud owner wont come for it. Lol

2 Likes

Re: What A Night! by Benbobola(m): 11:15pm On Nov 08, 2017
egorov:
Congrats bro.

Let me point out some things to you

Being the first heat or not, the most important thing is to get your mating right. I have seen dogs, even some mine that have littered 8-9-10-13-17 using the first heat, thats less than a yr old in most cases.

I'll tell you why u had two pups

During the oestrus cycle of a Dog, the ovulation period comes at intervals, of which nobody knows, we all do guess Work almost all d time. A Dog that came on heat today might start ovulating the next day, so if u wait till day 10 before u start mating u would have missed the ovulation peak, hence giving u one, two or no pup.

Best method of mating

IMO, the best way to get a good mating result is to conduct some certain tests before mating;

1. Cytology
2. Sperm analysis
3. Blood analysis for both stud n bitch

Also, u have to be sure of the compatibility btwn the two dogs.

Take care of.your pup, I hope.d stud owner wont come for it. Lol
Thanks man. Your advice is very much acknowledged and will be heeded to next heat.
The stud owner no even get my time. His Rottweiler littered 12 pups two days before mine. So when he heard I have just one alive, he only sympathized with me as he is busy with his
Re: What A Night! by Benbobola(m): 10:25pm On Dec 19, 2017
Up and bouncing...

1 Like

Re: What A Night! by jayned: 7:23am On Dec 20, 2017
Benbobola:
Up and bouncing...
Frankie right? she is pretty!
Re: What A Night! by Benbobola(m): 9:50pm On Dec 20, 2017
jayned:

Frankie right? she is pretty!
Thank you/ Obrigado
When next am in Jos, would pay a visit to your kennel

(1) (Reply)

Cat Food... / Solid Female Caucasian Dog Available / Superlastrically Beautiful 6months Old Slant Female Gsd For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.